Will Randolph ever play again?

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
What irritates me is that he has all of the tools to be a high-quality starter in this league.

He's got athleticism. He gets blocks on defense. He hustles. He does...a lot of things extremely well.

But ultimately he makes BONEHEADED decisions. D'Antoni's system requires players to make smart decisions and find guys that are open and be willing to defer to a player who can get a better look at the basket if necessary. That's why you see the assists piling up on our team, because of the players who are learning how to better find the guy who's open and able to get a clear look and/or a lane to drive to the basket.

Randolph, if he just takes dumbass shots and tries to take the ball to the rim every time, is going to disrupt the flow and the rhythm of this team. I feel as if a few days in the doghouse is going to do him some good.

It's too bad I really liked him from what I heard about him in the interviews right when they first traded him, it sounded like he was psyched and ready to be a Knick and I think he still is, but he needs to get his head out of his ass if he wants to play.

Agree completely, the reason for Randolph's being benched is because he hurts the team more than helping the team. His IQ is poor, he has potential but the Knicks can't risk him playing right now, mostly because the team isn't the best in the NBA.

When the Knicks as a team reach their potential on defense and offense Randolph will have his chance. The next time Randolph will play is when the Knicks have a winning record. Randolph needs playing time to improve but he needs to understand the game better as well.

I was psyched as well, but now he is a gamble. We won't know what will happen to his game.

mafra

Legend
Randolph just has tolearn that he doesn't have to be a black hole on offense. Don't just shoot for the sake of shooting and getting yours. If so, you better be swishing those shots (not bricking them).

I think this is more of a practice, watch and learn tutorial then being in the dog house. AND, with the winning going on.... no need to disturb things.

Randolph should just try to be our Rodman. Focus on boards. Get yorself 6 points a night on the Off. glass. Another 4 points running the break.

Also has to play smarter team defense.

Kid is still young. 21? He and Mozgov will take YEARS. They might not be anything until 2013. Just work with them, but don't rely on them.

CoolClyde

D'oghouse Ant

until Knick offense begins to screw up again, Ant will remain in 'Ant doghouse. it's not like 'Ant and his yes-men actually teach skills, esp not defense, where Ant Rando can excel. basically, players are told to go out there and do what you do without set plays or defensive alignments. hence, Ant Rando will remain d'ogged, excommunicated and without a clue until he's thrown back into an offense that is no longer working. IMO.

Paul1355

All Star
dumped by Golden State....benched by the Knicks...I think it goes beyond a low IQ. I think this guy is turning out to be uncoachable. He wants to do his own thing. Hopefully a couple of weeks on the bench will help him get his head on straight.
it could make or break the kid, i personally think he needs a coach who is confident in him and eventually randolph will explode and just stay that way.

He needs playing time and hes not getting it

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Hmmm. What about the D-League? Hes not going to do anything for this team this season except chat up Azzy and Curry. Mike D isn't in the business of developing players, especially not this season as his job depends on it.The D-League will give him all the playing time he needs, and will give us a better chance to evaluate him.

It's like everybody just youtubed this kid and thought he was skinny Lamar. Nobody did their homework, at least not the press who hyped the $hit outta this kid.

iSaYughh

Starter
it could make or break the kid, i personally think he needs a coach who is confident in him and eventually randolph will explode and just stay that way.

He needs playing time and hes not getting it

The problem w just trusting and giving playing time is he apparently is so fragile and erratic (in his ego, confidence, and basketball IQ) that this hurts him if anything.

Warriors fan repeatedly said it looked like he was having nervous breakdowns during games whenever he got decent playing time (unless things went --perfectly--, in which case he looks like Garnett 2.0 and tantalizes fans into a hizzy)

So just throwing him a big bone of confidence like you normally might isn't enough here, as it could just perpetuate his inner demons/issues of basketball.

I think were being all around very very cautious with him. Not as disrespect or negligence. But because we can afford to take is very slow, and while it --might-- take him longer to develop, itl increase his bottom-line chance of becoming something legit.

D'ants prolly like, look..no pressure kid, the world knows you have the skills, you know it, chill, soak in the game, get COMFORTABLE being on a basketball team, being a pro, grow up alongside Turiaf, STAT etc, watch Gallo battle thru shit, Chandler too, get minutes here and there, etc.

Incremental, slow. Cautious.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Randolph

Randolph was 21 in July, 2010. He is a year younger than Gallo who was 22 on August 8, 2010. Let's be patient with Randolph. He will learn even in practice. Unfortunately, D'Antoni is stubborn about the players who get game time. And we are winning with a relatively short game roster. When both Turiaf and Mozgov were in foul trouble in one of the recent games, Randolph remained on the bench. Not a good sign for Randolph. Why not put him in with instructions to focus on defense and rebounding?

I would also like to see Shawn Williams for at least a couple of minutes. He was a first round -- mid round -- pick and apparently he shoots better than Gallo in practice.

Toons

is the Bo$$
i believe in AR....eff what u heard, hes bin injured for most of the games...give the 21 year old kid a break

Blas

Benchwarmer
Damn this is really a buzz kill seeing Randolph racking up the DNP's.. I still believe he needs a coach that will believe in him.. Maybe he is uncoachable.. but I doubt it. But since we're winning right now.. I'm inclined to not wanna see any changes to the rotation and keep going with whats working as of right now.

His attitude and work ethic have been an issue in college and on GSW. Let's hope this trend is not continuing.

In 2008 draft he was considered one of the highest risk/reward players because of his work ethic. If he works hard this kid WILL be amazing.

But that is the thing, getting him to care.

Even IF all those scouting reports and slandering against AR is false, you would have to think some of it is true if both LSU and GS expressed the same things.

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer
Seems like he is heading for a nickname like "Can't get right". Seriously though... This is what I can't understand about some players in the league. Why they can't sit there and learn to take some advice. Yes he is young, but he is paid to play ball and learn a trade in the NBA for the next 10-12 years maybe longer. He needs to learn how to use the tools he brought with him and apply them to his craft via listening.

Seems like a lot of these players young and old think they know it all. Maybe all this time on the bench will change him, but I doubt it. He will probably become unenchanted on the bench and start a fuss and try to get more time either here or some where else.

Kiyaman

Legend
After reading all the posts on this thread the conclusion comes down to .....
Donnie Walsh traded our All-Star F/C-David Lee for ...... a Bust in Randolph,
a season injury Azu, and a decent 24 minute defensive PF-Turiaf who could
use alot of work on making a layup.

What I seen from Anthony Randolph on the Knicks is a lethal
defensive athletic player able to cause alot of "stops" for this team, if our
headcoach would hire defensive-coaches to the staff to develope a team
defensive system, players like Randolph skills will be establish to excell.
Randolph offensive skills is best as a "put-back" now (a 8-8 player).

The Knicks did not need Anthony Randolph defensive & rebounding services
the last 3 games, our 3 oponents did not have bigmen depth in the paint.

P.S. Some members need to stop looking at Anthony Randolph as an offensive
player, he did not have any offensive skills on the GSW, and Don Nelson did
not have a defensive system for the GSW team to help Randolph develope his
athletic skills.

iSaYughh

Starter
the conclusion comes down to .....

Incorrect. And I don't exactly love Walsh (and I honestly at the time wanted Lee + Tyrus T + Morrow vs STAT). But very, very incorrect. It's time to man up in this Lee Trade, Kiya.

You're going to have to man up very soon on Gallo, and then Coach D'antoni. So start now with something easier to digest. :afro:

Donnie Walsh traded David Lee + ~5M for:

Amare Stoudemire (multi-position big man All-Star) + defensive-minded, passing-skilled, big-energy backup bigman Ronny Turiaf+ lotto pick 21yr old Anthony Randolph + no-risk, high-reward shooting guard Azzy's 1yr contract.

That would be a correct conclusion.

Btw, you calling Randolph (21 yr old prospect) a BUST, along with Gallo (22 yr old), makes it sound like you judge talented youth and prospects with bias and hasty, stubborn decisions, because you hate things or people associated to them in some way (Donnie Walsh Lee Trade....Mike D'antoni knowing Gallo).

The very traits you always harpoon Coach D'antoni for.

Blas

Benchwarmer

athletic skills.

You are incorrect here, AR does have an offsensive skill set. He only played 33 games in GS, so it is very hard to judge his offensive skills at the NBA level especially as a rookie, which to me are just as inconsistent as his defensive skills.

What makes him such a great prospect is he does things at his size that a lot of players cannot do physically.

At LSU, he was a mis match nightmare. When defenders played him tight he would dance around them like they weren't there and explode to the hoop. If they played off him he would hit an the open mid-rage shot. Its hard to find a someone his size that can defend that kind of game. Of course that was the college level. Its just getting him to translate this into the NBA level.

Too be honest, I think getting anyone to motivate him will help a lot, not just a basketball coach.

Last edited:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
him and mozgov should play equal minutes they both have something to prove. AR could be very valuable off the bench but he needs to improve his IQ being part of the play not always doing his own thing

Kiyaman

Legend
I was incorrect about Randolph being a bust, I just wrote it down b/c of your comments:
His attitude and work ethic have been an issue in college and on GSW.
Let's hope this trend is not continuing.
The problem w just trusting and giving playing time is he apparently is so
fragile and erratic (in his ego, confidence, and basketball IQ) that this hurts
him if anything.

Defense makes the best offense
is that incorrect too?

When u go back to the time of the winning Knicks, when the Knicks
depended on their defensive-system to win games (Holzman, Hubie,
Riley, JVG).
Those types of team-defensive-systems would be the best development
tools for "Mozgov & Randolph" to start establishing their best talents
in the NBA (which is their athletic defense). Both players has been
playing lost on offense/defense with poor positioning under Dantoni.

The trio of "Mozgov-Fields-Randolph" could give the Knicks a deadly
Zone-Defense if they were taught when to switch, double, or hold position.
The Knicks defense is so confuse when a team screens and pass the
ball 3 or more times.

Kiyaman

Legend
him and mozgov should play equal minutes they both have something to prove. AR could be very valuable off the bench but he needs to improve his IQ being part of the play not always doing his own thing
:agreed:
I have to agree b/c both are great defensive players needing a coach like JVG that will filter their defensive "stops" into their offensive scoring.
Dantoni so-call offensive mind is clueless on how to use these two bigmen.
Dantoni has put both these players on the court with no direction on offense/defense

iJoe

Rotation player

athletic skills.

Kiya Kiya Kiyaman, you never cease to amaze me with how you think you're the be all and end all of all basketball knowledge.

First, the David Lee craze you always seem to bring up. New York did NOT just trade him. David Lee is the one that chose that he wanted to go to the Warriors. Walsh actually said he got better offers, but in the end they worked around Lee, because hes the one that ultimately got to choose where he wanted to go. It was a sign and trade in which we got the best deal we could for a player we were going to lose anyway. Lee could have left us for absolutely nothing for a team with cap space. In the end, he did us a favor even when leaving. We'll miss him for sure, but stop being an idiot about us trading him.

We made a play to sign 2 superstars, but only got Amare. Any GM worth their salt would have done the same. Even when we lost on the the Lebon bon sweepstakes, Walsh kept us very flexible for the upcoming free agents for the next 2 years. Thats freakin amazing considering how screwed up our cap was before.

As for Randolph, we got exactly what was projected. He's talented and has game. His issue comes where most young guys have trouble. Hes not the superstar on this team and the ball does not go through him. He has to learn to be a role player and know where his shots come from. This is where his biggest learning curb will come from. He doesn't have the green light and when hes on the court right now, he screws up the offense because he can't tell the difference between a good shot and bad.

Right now, Randolph can put up great numbers if he started and got all the minutes he wanted just through sheer talent. It's kinda like how Blatche posted huge numbers for the Wiz last year when they tanked the season. Unfortunately it will put his basketball IQ back a few years and it will take even longer for him to learn how to play in a team. Give the kid time and let him prove himself before screaming at the coach. Its not like you can see the kid in person every practice.

Theres only one ball. You can't expect to just run multiple experimental plays for Mosgov and Randolph when we're trying to win. We have enough offense. What we need is for role players to step up and get our chemistry flowing. If they can prove themselves in practice consistently, they'll get their chance.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
While Randolph has been a dissapointment so far, I'm not going to give up hope. I'll be patient with the guy.

Reminds me sort of the same predicament we had when we had Jordan Hill lol.

Kiyaman

Legend
How can a nitwit go unnotice

Kiya Kiya Kiyaman, you never cease to amaze me with how you think you're the be all and end all of all basketball knowledge.

First, the David Lee craze you always seem to bring up. New York did NOT just trade him. David Lee is the one that chose that he wanted to go to the Warriors. Walsh actually said he got better offers, but in the end they worked around Lee, because hes the one that ultimately got to choose where he wanted to go. It was a sign and trade in which we got the best deal we could for a player we were going to lose anyway. Lee could have left us for absolutely nothing for a team with cap space. In the end, he did us a favor even when leaving. We'll miss him for sure, but stop being an idiot about us trading him.

We made a play to sign 2 superstars, but only got Amare. Any GM worth their salt would have done the same. Even when we lost on the the Lebon bon sweepstakes, Walsh kept us very flexible for the upcoming free agents for the next 2 years. Thats freakin amazing considering how screwed up our cap was before.

As for Randolph, we got exactly what was projected. He's talented and has game. His issue comes where most young guys have trouble. Hes not the superstar on this team and the ball does not go through him. He has to learn to be a role player and know where his shots come from. This is where his biggest learning curb will come from. He doesn't have the green light and when hes on the court right now, he screws up the offense because he can't tell the difference between a good shot and bad.

Right now, Randolph can put up great numbers if he started and got all the minutes he wanted just through sheer talent. It's kinda like how Blatche posted huge numbers for the Wiz last year when they tanked the season. Unfortunately it will put his basketball IQ back a few years and it will take even longer for him to learn how to play in a team. Give the kid time and let him prove himself before screaming at the coach. Its not like you can see the kid in person every practice.

Theres only one ball. You can't expect to just run multiple experimental plays for Mosgov and Randolph when we're trying to win. We have enough offense. What we need is for role players to step up and get our chemistry flowing. If they can prove themselves in practice consistently, they'll get their chance.

1) David Lee did not want to leave N.Y., he even stayed behind a few
days when his team visted the Knicks (to visit his primary docter) LOL.
Lee and his agent could not trust Walsh, after Walsh tried to trade Lee
for a 2008 lottery pick, and with Walsh long poor history in drafting he
probably wouldve use the pick to select Anthony Randolph.

2) The Timberwolves offered Al Jefferson, and the GSW offered Ellis to
Donnie Walsh a week before the official David Lee trade.

3) Donnie Walsh only had 4 players under contract on July 1st. 2010.
Walsh had to sign 11 players to the roster. And those 11 players better
get the Knicks into the 2010-11 playoffs. Walsh spent alot of Dolan's money
the past 2 seasons to lower the Knicks salary cap, plus tanking two seasons.

4) Amare was the first star FA to commit to the next team, and everyone
knows why. Its hard to say "NO!" to $100M contract for 5 seasons.

5) For some reason or another the 2010 abundance of free agents were not
interested in joining the New York Knicks, even when Amare & Felton had
committed to the Knicks on July 8th..... the Knicks had to go to the Euro-
league to sign a player.

6) David Lee was an unrestricted FA ...... the Bulls, the Nets, and the
Wizards wouldve gave David Lee a $70M contract for 5 years.
Lee did not have to help the begging Donnie Walsh add 3 veteran players
to his 2010 plan.

7) It is crazy that so many Knick-Fans act like they were clueless or
shocked at why Dolan wanted to rehire Isiah Thomas this summer.
:gony: Donnie Walsh acted like someone owed him something for nothing.
What if unrestricted FA David Lee signed with the
next team, and refuse to be apart of a sign and trade?
isnt that what FA Amare, Boozer, Bosh, and Lebron did?
What do u think our 2010-11 Knick roster would look like
without the David Lee sign and trade?