Amare could be a key piece

paris401

Starter
There will be ZERO teams offering Stat a 2 year 20 million uninsured contract. I suspect Melo will be traded before the Deadline to a West Coast team that can utilize him to make it to the NBA finals. We will take back expiring **** and hopefully some draft picks.......Stat will not be a knick next year so might as well get some picks of any kind if possible.

ZERO teams???... he got 100m for 5yrs 'uninsurable' from the knicks... why is 20m for 2yrs impossible???

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Odds are the Knicks will let Stats contract expire. No need to trade him and add salary for next season. It's best to preserve the cap room. If anything NY should trade away just about anyone for current and future draft picks. We've got to learn that the best way to build a contender is through the draft NOT through free agency.

Look for the Knicks to make small moves next season. No big name free agents.

skisloper

Starter
ZERO teams???... he got 100m for 5yrs 'uninsurable' from the knicks... why is 20m for 2yrs impossible???

Because we are the Knicks and that was when Amare was in his prime.....He is not worth 10 million a year for uninsured and no defense.....

I did not look but if another team has expiring contracts and are making a playoff run then AMARE might be of great value to them as offensively he is looking stronger and stronger........so taking back EXPIRING contracts ONLY and a 1st rounder or 2 2nd rounders would be worth it.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I love Stat. He is doing a great job returning to form this year, but, he is 32 and has not played 70 games in a season since his first year with the Knicks and even with how good he is this year, he is still only playing 25 minutes per game. It's time for him to join another team with a better and deeper roster than ours. As a franchise, we need to move on from him after this year.

This....except for the I love STAT part....And we all know htr10 watches the games.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimkcchief88

All Star
Odds are the Knicks will let Stats contract expire. No need to trade him and add salary for next season. It's best to preserve the cap room. If anything NY should trade away just about anyone for current and future draft picks. We've got to learn that the best way to build a contender is through the draft NOT through free agency.

Look for the Knicks to make small moves next season. No big name free agents.

Welcome back Don:)

paris401

Starter
This....except for the I love STAT part....And we all know htr10 watches the games.....

what's not to luv... probably the hardest working guy on the team... unfort bad knees/back slowed him down, but a heck of a work ethic..

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I agree with what you said, however I doubt Dolan understood.

I think you're right. This is why Dolan relies on Phil. So hopefully Phil understands the importance of draft picks and picking well not to mention player development.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
what's not to luv... probably the hardest working guy on the team... unfort bad knees/back slowed him down, but a heck of a work ethic..

Dont want to sound like a Stat hater, because i am not. As i said before, i actually like the guy. But, i hear that he is playing for a new contract. Is it correct?
After watching NBA since 1990, i can tell you that players who are at the end of their contracts and are looking for the new one, all of a sudden start to play with more energy, trying very hard and stuff like that. Not accusing Stat for anything, just saying. And
for those who think it would be a good idea to bring him back for less money, let me remind you that he was a terrible defender, rebounder and prone to turnovers throughout his carier. Not to mention all that time he missed due to his injuries. Even now, while he looks good offensively, he continues to be clueless about the defense, which let me remind you again, is the #1 problem for us. Trust me, he is not going to change now, at the end of his carier, and in turms of providing leadership to young players, thats not happening either, because he is not a leader, never was, never will.
As a Knick fan sinse 1990, i would like him gone at the end of his contract, no trades, just let him go. I expect P.J. to do just that and trade Melo at the upcoming deadline if possible, and finish this season with no expectations for playoffs. This season is over for this team already anyway.

Broadway

All Star
This thread is evidence of some taking a second chance to swim in shark infested waters. I know there's no hope with Melo but please people don't openly display the same lack of hope within yourself

jzero29

Rotation player
Stat can still score, he's show that. 13.3ppg, He's actually decent rebounding more. 7.4 RPG. in about 26 min per game... Solid. If he was capable of playing a few more minutes, he'd have better avgs. Thing is he's not capable.
Now, there is no way in hell I'd spend 20mil or anywhere near it on him. 5 million 2yrs team option 3rd. maybe 7 if we are desperate.
If you look at other guys playing his position fro 30+ minutes, making around 7 million(players not on rookie contract)...He's better then most.Sure you'll find plenty guys making less money on rookie contracts that are better...but non rookies, with his #'s make about 7 mill...I'd sign him for less then 7, like 5, cause he wanted to be in NY and He injury prone, plays short minutes, so discount.

*keep in mind, I'm not thinking corner stone...I am thinking role player, offense off the bench, playing with a passer.

jzero29

Rotation player
I would totally sit him down, talk about how he's been hurt and not the original player they signed, how we don't want to hurt his ego, but the injury question mark, Playing time factor and defensive liability. Has Us(me pretending to be GM) worried. We'd like to offer you a 5 mill contract for 2 years to stay in NY. We understand he can get more, but we are looking to put our money into building and we'd love to have you as a veteran role player who can score off the bench.

tiger0330

Legend
I'd like to see Phil use that rep of his to convince him to take less money to stay in NY. Surprised no one in the media has asked him his opinion on taking less money to stay and be a piece in rebuilding.

Guys do take less money like Pau but they want to go to winning teams with good chemistry and thats sure not the Knicks so who knows what he'll do.

jzero29

Rotation player
I'd like to see Phil use that rep of his to convince him to take less money to stay in NY. Surprised no one in the media has asked him his opinion on taking less money to stay and be a piece in rebuilding.

Guys do take less money like Pau but they want to go to winning teams with good chemistry and thats sure not the Knicks so who knows what he'll do.
I think Stat deserves to be in NYC when the knicks are good, but it's clear he is not going to be a key part other then a key bench player.

Steezo

Benchwarmer
Stoudemire's contract is MASSIVE... Which teams would have a need for Amar'e and his services? I don't think defense should be a deterrent, that wasn't what earned him his current contract, and his rebounding is decent provided he's next to a legit rebounding center.

jzero29

Rotation player
Stoudemire's contract is MASSIVE... Which teams would have a need for Amar'e and his services? I don't think defense should be a deterrent, that wasn't what earned him his current contract, and his rebounding is decent provided he's next to a legit rebounding center.

At the time Stat was healthy, a good def team may consider him for bench offense...but It's apparent now his health is to big a question.
Next year, when he's free agent, Out of loyalty and the fact he came first...I'd offer him slightly more then veteran minimum and go 2 million. Tops 3.(down from my 5 million offer, which he'd totally deserve if health wasn't a factor)

paris401

Starter
I like stat...BUT... next year...and maybe a year/two after that we are in a rebuilding mode... don't see where stat fits in...taking valuable mins from a younger player.. lets go thru the growing pains with a youngster..hopefully with upside...

tiger0330

Legend
Stat's latest knee problems pretty much invalidated this thread. Looks like his chronic knee problems haven't gone away. Can't sign a guy whose knees might give out in the 7th game of the playoffs. Looks like the Knicks and Stat part company after 5 underwhelming years.