NEW YORK KNICKS vs DETROIT PISTONS ~ Tuesday 11/1 ~ Palace of Auburn Hills @7:30 PM

tiger0330

Legend
64-55 Pistons at the half. Allowing 64 pts you would think the Pistons took 20 3s and hit 10, they took 7 and made 5. What happens when the Knicks face the Rox tomorrow when they could take 40 3s, it may be ugly at MSG, I doubt they can fix their defensive woes overnight.

Kiyaman

Legend
Pistons announcers just said if you have Brandon Jennings as your back up and Rose as your starter you are in pretty good shape at that position.

tiger0330

Legend
64-55 Pistons at the half. Allowing 64 pts you would think the Pistons took 20 3s and hit 10, they took 7 and made 5. What happens when the Knicks face the Rox tomorrow when they could take 40 3s, it may be ugly at MSG, I doubt they can fix their defensive woes overnight.
Rox scored 120 against a good defense tonight. I think it will be ugly tomorrow, I'll change my mind if Horn chews them a new ass and I start seeing them knocking guys down the next half..

tiger0330

Legend
The Knicks are still in this down 5 with 5mins to go. DRose with a short bank shot off glass and then takes a charge from Ish Smith. Knicks with the ball.

tiger0330

Legend
Better D in the second half but the bench other than Jennings didn't do much. Knicks got it to 5 with 5 to go but couldn't hit a shot down the stretch. A lot of work to do, I think the boys will be lucky to be at .500 end of the month.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
It was 94-89 DET with about 5:30 to go.... NYK didn't score a point the rest of the way. That's the game right there.

10 points in the 4th quarter. SVG out coached Horny.... simply awful.

Lance Thomas play almost as many minutes as kP.... Thomas was beyond pathetic on defense, had no assists and 4 rebounds. What was even worse, he took 4 of the worst shots in basketball.... bricking shots from the 3-point line, when your foot is inside the arc or on the line. The most inefficient shot in the game.... the longest 2-point shot you can attempt. Then consider the fact he hasn't hit a 3 yet this season.

Horny didn't really coach at all down the stretch. He left LT in there.... KP, after getting it going in the 3rd, didn't enter the game until there was about 210 seconds left.

As a matter of fact, coming out of a timeout when it was 94-89, the play Horny designed was to have Rose dribble the ball for 20 seconds at top of the key then force a shot.

The biggest key wasn't necessarily that the defense was bad, it has more to do with the fact that rarely does their defense lead to easy buckets.

This played right into dET's hands.... they have a tougher, more physical team, and we couldn't get steals, fast break points.... nada.

Finally, the energy looked bad. Horny sat Melo a lot the first 3 quarters. It was almost as if they were saving energy for HOU.

DET is clearly the better team, and they benefit from the continuity (from
Playing together last season) and better coaching. We didn't play with urgency, and it seemed like
We thought our talent would simply prevail in the end.

Really amazing given how much these guys have to prove that they would give this effort, especially after getting wasted in CLE.

This is obviously going to take time. Melo and Rose made plays down the stretch vs MEM, they didn't tonight. Simple as that.

But the effort should be questioned and Horny has to explain why LT is in the game late in the 4th and not kP. That was beyond inexplicable.

As for the offense, the big 3 of Melo, KP, Rose were 23-53.... not terribly inefffient but none of them had it going tonight (and nothing came easy). BJ woke up but LEE and Noah were no help again. At least Noah had 7 or 8 assists.

The bench was pathetic again. KOQ helped some.... but we lack interior offense, bench offense, fast break offense.... so it's hard for us to win when we shoot 7-22 from downtown.... even when we get 61 from our top 3 scorers.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
The good news is that after going for 32 & 32 in the first 2 quarters, DET was "held" to 22 and 16 in the third and fourth quarters.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
It was an overall ugly game. I was beside myself when we wasted 6 or 7 consecutive possessions in the 4th. Oh well, on to Houston.

paris401

Starter
after the game horney said the team 'ran out of gas'... WTF its the 3rd game of the season n the tank is on empty... if I was the gm, the coach would be gone after a statement like that..

tiger0330

Legend
after the game horney said the team 'ran out of gas'... WTF its the 3rd game of the season n the tank is on empty... if I was the gm, the coach would be gone after a statement like that..
If I were Dolan I'd fire the guy that hired the coach. Still early but I'm not buying a 37 win season and missing the playoffs as a step in the right direction this season.

Playoffs or fire PJ, scrap the triangle, dump Melo for pics and build around Porzingis if the Knicks miss the playoffs.

paris401

Starter
If I were Dolan I'd fire the guy that hired the coach. Still early but I'm not buying a 37 win season and missing the playoffs as a step in the right direction this season.
Playoffs or fire PJ, scrap the triangle, dump Melo for pics and build around Porzingis if the Knicks miss the playoffs.

a below average player, makes a great coach, does not make a great GM... that's the zenmaster... I think whether we make the playoffs or not phil is gone... either fired or going home to Jeanie...

as to Me-Lo , he has a no-trade clause, but sure if given add. $$$$ and maybe years he can be persuaded to leave the team he 'luvs'...

and1

Rotation player
i didn't get to watch the game live and i haven't watched the encores yet. not even sure if i'm going to. i was just wondering if they were TRYING to run the triangle a lot during this game, or at least down the stretch? it could just be a coincidence, but i find it kind of curious that they play a pretty much flat game offensively after a triangle session with phil. if anything maybe he should be trying to teach them some things about defense, although they did seem to improve with that end of the floor in the 2nd half. at least that's what i could tell from what i heard on the radio.

how many points does houston score on us tonight?

mafra

Legend
It can't be talked about enough.... KP got it going in the third quarter.... then Horny sat him practically for the entire 4th quarter! KP didn't return until there was about 3 minutes remaining.

Not only that.... but LT was stinking up the joint!

I imagine we score more than 10 points in the 4th if KP played 6 minutes or so.

Yeah.... it's obvious the team has no clue what to do on offense. It's going to take 30 games, at least.

The good news is if we stink, Melo might accept a trade... and we know we have our draft pick.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
It can't be talked about enough.... KP got it going in the third quarter.... then Horny sat him practically for the entire 4th quarter! KP didn't return until there was about 3 minutes remaining.

Not only that.... but LT was stinking up the joint!

I imagine we score more than 10 points in the 4th if KP played 6 minutes or so.

Yeah.... it's obvious the team has no clue what to do on offense. It's going to take 30 games, at least.

The good news is if we stink, Melo might accept a trade... and we know we have our draft pick.
To tell you the truth I wasn't impressed with Zinger yesterday. I thought he would be matched up with Morris but him and Harris were matched up, he clearly got outplayed by Harris. Thomas didn't help much on D so having Thomas in for defensive purposes backfired on Horn. Lance worries me, before last year he never attempted or made 3s so I wonder if last yr. was an outlier and he reverts back to being a non-factor on offense.