Game thread: New York Knicks vs Charlotte Hornets 1/17/2021 1:00pm [Game #43]

Game Thread: Charlotte Hornets at New York Knicks - 1/17/22 1PM

Knicks playing the afternoon game on MLK Day. Need to keep the winning streak going. Keep getting further above 0.500 and make a run for a top 6 seed.

No Noel again today. Hopefully another big game for MRob.

rady

Administrator
Staff member

gt.png

CHA.gif
at.png
NYK.gif

(23-20) -- (22-21)

VenueTVTIME
Madison Square Garden, New York, NYMSG1:00 PM EST

Probable starters:

away.png
i
i
i
i
i

home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Charlotte HornetsNew York Knicks
LaMelo Ball - Illness (OUT)Cam Reddish - Ankle injury (QUEST)
Kelly Oubre Jr. - Medical protocols (QUEST)Kemba Walker - Sore left knee (OUT)
Vernon Carey Jr. - Medical protocols (QUEST)Nerlens Noel - Left knee soreness (OUT)
-Derrick Rose - Ankle surgery (OUT)
-Solomon Hill - Hamstring (OUT)

Game Preview

Maybe one of the keys for the Charlotte Hornets is to make sure they're properly challenged.

They've shown the ability to compete well against top teams in the NBA. They've also faltered in other situations.

So, with a road game against the New York Knicks on Monday afternoon, it's fair to wonder which version of the Hornets will show up.

Will it be the group that knocked off the Milwaukee Bucks twice in a three-night stretch and followed that by winning at Philadelphia to extend a winning streak to four games? Or will it be the version that suffered a home loss Friday night to the lowly Orlando Magic?

"I said we couldn't relax against this team and that's exactly what we did," Hornets forward Miles Bridges said. "Those guys came out, played hard, punched us in the mouth, did all the little things. We can easily get up for the Warriors or Bucks, Nets game, but when we play these types of teams, we have to get up and approach the game the same way. That's a sign of maturity, and that's not what we did."

New York has moved back above .500 by winning three in a row. That stretch was capped by Saturday night's 117-108 victory at Atlanta.

Julius Randle has clearly been playing at a high level for the Knicks, and he's joined by RJ Barrett.

"You can't say enough about how RJ is playing," Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau said.

The Knicks don't want to lose the gains that have been made recently. So, expect the coaching staff to keep pushing them hard.

"The big thing is each day keep improving," Thibodeau said. "I think guys are building pretty good chemistry off each other. You never have it all figured out. You have to keep that edge."

For Hornets coach James Borrego, the 116-109 loss to Orlando was yet another indicator of the ongoing process in trying to make Charlotte a true contender.

"Obviously, we didn't handle our wins appropriately," Borrego said. "For whatever reason, the mindset wasn't there. We have a ways to go. But we move on."

Charlotte's latest outing reflected shortcomings at both ends of the court. The Hornets shot 12-for-42 on 3-pointers and committed 17 turnovers. On defense, Charlotte gave up 50 points at the rim.

The Hornets have lost five of the eight games this season in which LaMelo Ball has been the team's leading scorer. That includes the last four games in which the point guard has topped the Charlotte scoring column.

The Knicks are looking for more key contributors, and it appears that the door is open for several players to emerge with more playing time.

"We've got to get the bench going," Thibodeau said. "Whatever gives us the best chance to win, that's what we have to do."

It's unclear when recently acquired Cam Reddish will make his debut with the Knicks, but it's unlikely to be Monday as he's nursing an ankle injury. Thibodeau said Reddish will have to work into the rotation.

"Winning has to come first," the coach said. "You play who gives you the best chance to win. If you're in the rotation, you have to perform well."

Monday's game begins a four-game homestand in a seven-day stretch for the Knicks.

Game preview courtesy of:
--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Knicks playing the afternoon game on MLK Day. Need to keep the winning streak going. Keep getting further above 0.500 and make a run for a top 6 seed.

No Noel again today. Hopefully another big game for MRob.

You beat me just a couple of minutes with the game thread, htr :)
One of the rare moments i get to watch a game live at a reasonable hour, let's get them!

mafra

Legend
Ball is out.

2nd of 4 meeting vs CHA. My lost first matchup?

Both teams 7-3 last 10 games? NYK won last 5 at MSG. Hornets like the play with pace?.
Hornets 7th seed and 1 up on Knick son loss side?. Knicks are like 22-12 on MlK day

Trent Tucker anybody?

mafra

Legend
Mitch is shooting 31-35 last 6 games?

Big game? need to get win to split first 2 vs CHA. We jostling with them for seeding?.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Knicks fall down by 10 as mayor Adams talks to Breen and Clyde about MLK, the City, his childhood and how e grew up as a Knicks fan

Sequence where Obi Toppin misses the 3, Grimes gets the offensive board, and then Obi drives and makes a beautiful layup between defenders.

Why doesn?t he just drive every time he gets the ball? He?s so good in the lane and so not good from deep.

mafra

Legend
Toppin misses 2 FTs, after bobbling the rebound off a CHA missed FT out of bounds (and CHA scores of an offensive rebound on the ensuing possession). Brutal 4 point swing.

Knicks 5-12 from FT line

mafra

Legend
CHA playing a 1-1-3 zone.

Top guy covers PG

Knicks have no answer. Is Evan F playing today? Would be nice if he or AB scores a basket. Kind of helps when a G makes a basket in the game? IQ,AB, EF, Grimes have 6 points on 2-8 shooting.

They can?t make a FT or defend Bridges off a switch?.

CHA simply using P-&-R to get a G on Bridges? not good. He?s on pace for 60 points.

mafra

Legend
Starting backcourt of AB and EF have 3 points and 2 assists. IQ with just 3&2 himself.

Not good. All of our Gs combined wouldn?t even be a top 3 scorer for CHA.

Randle a no-show offensively first half too.

Ball not even playing.

Just an ugly game for us. Sometimes you just have to say it wasn?t your day. Still time to make a run though.