home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Philadelphia 76ersNew York Knicks
Tyrese Maxey - Illness (QUEST)Julius Randle - Right shoulder surgery (OUT)
Joel Embiid - Knee recovery (QUEST)Duane Washington Jr. - Knee (OUT)
De'Anthony Melton - Back (OUT)Charlie Brown - Concussion (OUT)
Robert Covington - Knee (OUT)-

Game Preview

Philadelphia attempts to even the Eastern Conference first-round series with the New York Knicks at 1-all on Monday night, but the 76ers might be without point guard Tyrese Maxey as reigning MVP Joel Embiid works his way back to health.

Maxey, the team's leading scorer (26.9 points per game) in the regular season, was downgraded to questionable on the official injury report released Monday with an illness and was not a participant in the gameday shootaround. The 76ers will try to knot the best-of-seven series against the No. 2 seed Knicks. Maxey had 33 points in Game 1.

New York followed its usual, now-conventional path to victory Saturday night.

After an atypical loss with Embiid in the lineup, the 76ers likely spent Sunday in the familiar position of worrying about the short- and long-term availability of the big man.

The Knicks can take a commanding lead Monday night when they host the 76ers in Game 2.

Bojan Bogdanovic, Miles McBride and Mitchell Robinson provided sparks off the bench Saturday night, when they combined for 42 points and 22 rebounds as the host Knicks pulled away in the fourth quarter for a 111-104 victory.

McBride scored 21 points, his most in a reserve role this season, while Bogdanovic had 13 points in just his eighth double-figure effort in the last 19 games. Robinson had eight points and pulled down 12 rebounds in 30 minutes in his longest stint since he returned from a three-month absence following ankle surgery.

The trio of reserves scored 26 points for the Knicks during a 39-14 run over the final 13 minutes of the first half as New York turned a 32-19 deficit into a 58-46 lead.

The efforts of Bogdanovic, McBride and Robinson were doubly pivotal for the Knicks, whose starters -- OG Anunoby, Jalen Brunson, Donte DiVincenzo, Josh Hart and Isaiah Hartenstein -- scored 69 points while shooting just 35.5 percent from the field. McBride and Bogdanovic combined to shoot 8 of 13 from 3-point land while the starters were 8 of 22 from beyond the arc.

Getting contributions from everywhere on the roster is nothing new for the Knicks, who had seven players average in double figures this season and 12 players make at least 10 starts.

"We started the game slowly," Knicks head coach Tom Thibodeau said. "And I thought it changed when the energy of the bench came in. And we need everyone, so tonight it was the bench."

The 76ers, who were 31-8 when Embiid played in the regular season, appeared to be headed for a similar result when he scored the first eight points of Philadelphia's game-opening 18-7 run.

But Embiid, who has been battling a chronic left knee injury, was slow to get up after crashing to the floor following a dunk with 2:49 left in the first half that pulled the 76ers within 49-46. The Knicks scored the final nine points of the half with Embiid on the bench.

The star center returned for the second half but struggled to make his usual impact. Kyle Lowry and Maxey combined to score 20 points in the 76ers' third quarter run, outscoring the Knicks 32-14. Embiid had five points in that surge and finished with just 11 points in the final two quarters, when he was 2-of-11 from the field -- including 0-for-5 in the fourth, when Embiid sat out the first 3:39.

Embiid finished with 29 points on 8-of-22 shooting.

Embiid did not speak to reporters Saturday night. Head coach Nick Nurse said following the defeat Embiid would be re-assessed between games but said Sunday that Embiid told him he felt good.

"It's tough seeing your brother go down," Maxey said Saturday night. "You kind of feel for him, pray for him and hope he's OK. I was glad to see him when we got back to the locker room (at halftime) and he said he was going to go back out there and give it a try. So hats off to him for his determination and his will to win."

--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Sixers are facing two big question marks before game 2 as both Maxey and Embiid are uncertain before the game.
If Embiid's situation was kinda obvious, Maxey's is a surprise. Is this a strategy by the Sixers? Is he really ill? Latest reports are that he missed this morning's shootaround. It could be food poisoning or some fever symptoms but i doubt he will not be on the court tonight because with both of them out it's hard to believe the series will advance to a tie before game 3.
I'm more concerned about Embiid and how his knee is doing. His presence can be inspiring for his team-mates but his overall performance can't be a decisive factor.
How are you guys feeling before game 2?

mafra

Legend
Knicks shoot 7-21 (Brunson 2-8) with 4 or 5 turnovers. PHI 5-10 from downtown.

Knicks are fortunate to only be down 7 after 1Q

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks for the Game Thread Rady .. It look like HC Thibs are gonna try the same rotation as Game1
44-34 Philly's lead

mafra

Legend
The bench, IH, OG, & DDV combined to make just 6 shots the entire half. Hart 19-9-2 saving NyK. JB is 4-14.

IH has 1 made shot in 6 quarters.

Knicks fortunate to only trail 53-49. They’ve trailed entire half tho.

Kiyaman

Legend
Half Time .. Knicks 49 - 76ers 53
No Precious Achuwa ..
Game 1 was our warning

Josh Hart played all 24 min, and scored 12 pts in the 2nd Qtr. for 19 pts at half
Brunson 14 pts shooting 4-14 from FG
Not to sound upsetting, but
None of our players faces show another postseason win in MSG at half time

Kiyaman

Legend
Great move .. IHart wanted some points bad the way he grabbed the off-rebound and put it backup ..
Then Brunson hitting IHart slashing to the basket for 2
Now myfav IHart got the face of a Knicks WIN tonight

Kiyaman

Legend
We finally got the lead 68-67 Knicks .. 4 min remain in 3rd qtr
Wow, hope that shot gave Brunson confidence being 6-20 FG

Kiyaman

Legend
End of 3rd Quarter .. Knicks 79 - 76ers 74
IHart owned the paint on both sides of the court when Embiid was sitting on the bench

mafra

Legend
Knicks start 4Q with bad misses from downtown from DDV & Deuce

Take away Josh Hart’s 4-6 shooting from 3Land and Knicks are 3-17 rest of team.

mafra

Legend
Brunson 7-24 tonight shooting (he was 6-21 in game 1)… and in the series he’s 1-10 from downtown

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Despite Brunson continuing to struggle and McBride going 0-3 from deep, we managed to pull through. This time, it was Hart (again) and DiVo with the clutch three. I was almost hesitant to watch the final 40 seconds before Lowry was sent to the foul line, but I was too upset to go back to sleep. And then, the miracle happened. Brunson, who had missed his previous five attempts, sank a rare three-pointer, giving us hope. Somehow, we managed to force the Sixers to turn it over. Although DiVincenzo missed the three, Hartenstein secured the rebound and gave him a second chance. He wouldn't miss again! I'm still in shock.
Knicks 104 - Sixers 101 and we take a 2-0 lead!

Kiyaman

Legend
Hartenstein! Hartenstein! Hartenstein!
7-8 from FG for 14 pts, 8 reb, 4 Dimes, and 4 Blocks

The Knicks are winning without Randle and Brunson
Two great postseason wins
2-0 Knicks series lead

No Precious Achuwa .. Why?
Josh Hart played all 48 minutes of Game 2

mafra

Legend
Reggie Miller fiasco has been exorcised. Lowry missed a FT… Philly up 5… 4% chance to win game at this point… Brunson misses a 3…. JB 15-45 in the series (1-11 from downtown)… NYK get rebound but Lowry strips the ball… we recover loose ball and JB clanks rim, ball bounces skyward but then the tide turns… it falls through the net! Lowry bad inbounds pass, Maxey hits floor… Knicks get the steal…. DDV misses 3, but IH grabs off rebound… this time DDV goes Bang! Knicks up 1. Maxey cuts through defense like butter for layup but IH blocks shot! NYK get rebound. OG sinks 2 FT. Somehow with 5 second left, up 3, Knicks don’t foul. Embiid gets a good look…. Why! But he misses! Knicks win! Knicks win! Mecca frenzy at MSG! Who would’ve believed it! If I didn’t see it!!! Out of disgust I turned game off down 4 with Lowry going to FT live. Something told me to turn it back on!