Draft Night Grades

metrocard

Legend
Boston Celtics
Round 1: J.R. Giddens (30)
Round 2: Bill Walker (47), Semih Erden (60)

Grade: B
-Celtics got two future replacements for Allen and Pierce. Giddens and Walker are considered the most athletic guys in the draft and Celtics got them. Erden will never come to the NBA, so its just a wasted pick. Gidden and Walkers are guys who could contribute right away. All Boston needs is a back up PG. Their bench is Giddens/Walker/Powe/Davis. Very young, tough, and talented.

New Jersey Nets
Round 1: Brook Lopez (10), Ryan Anderson (21)
Round 2: Chris Douglas-Roberts (39)

Grade: A

Nets grabbed a top 3 talent and the best center prospect at 10. Lopez is very similar to Kaman, he won't ever be a go to guy in the NBA, but he will be a great 2nd option or complimentary big man. Anderson is one of the best shooters/scorers in the draft, Nets desperately needed scoring with loss of Jefferson and they just needed shooting period, Anderson was a great addition. CDR was projected top 15-25 for most of the year, but he fell to 39. A big steal for New Jersey, they got a wing player to replace Jefferson. To top it all off, New Jersey got a top 5 lottery talent in Yi, who will suprise a lot of people next year.

New York Knicks
Round 1: Danilo Gallinari (6)

Grade: B+

Knicks went with the 2nd best pick available. What people need to understand is that Gallinari is FIT for the system. Turnover prone low basketball IQ guys like Gordon and etc don't belong on this team, we already got Crawford to make bonehead plays. Gallinari is a slashing SF with elite passing skills and is a smart unselfish player. That sounds crazy right? Thats because we never had a player like that since the 90s. Gallinari has a lot of potential and will be an all star. D.J. Augustin was first on my board, but it'll be okay since there will be other PG prospects in the future.

Philadelphia 76ers
Round 1: Marreese Speights (16)

-Speights is a potential Al Jefferson steal. Al Jefferson wasn't picked in the lottery, but looked how te turned out to be. Speights isn't the most athletic guy, but his style is so similar to Al J, this is what Philadephia needed, a PF who can bang and score in the paint. This was the best pick for them getting a guy who would of been a top 5 pick next year in the 16th pick of this year. Philadephia is on the rise on the East, so watch out. The Atlantic division continues to get stronger and stronger

Toronto Raptors
Round 2: Nathan Jawai (41)

Jawai is a power bigman who was a projected a first round pick. Raptors are soft in the paint and they got a warrior in Jawai who's probably the most physical big man in this draft, this is a good fit for Toronto and they picked the best player available.

Chicago Bulls
Round 1: Derrick Rose (1)
Round 2: Omer Asik (36), Sonny Weems (39)

-Fuck Chicago

Cleveland Cavaliers
Round 1: J. J. Hickson (19)

Grade B-
-Hickson is good, but Koufus and Arthur would of been better picks.

Detroit Pistons
Round 2: Walter Sharpe (32), Trent Plaisted (46), Deron Washington (59)

Grade: D
-Most of these guys will end up in Europe and probably not even end up seeing Detroit. Detroit is on the decline.

Indiana Pacers
Round 1: Brandon Rush (13), Roy Hibbert (17)

-Getting rid of an old ass injury prone low FG% shooting J-O'Neal for a young elite prospect PG in Ford and for a defensive, solid offensively role playing center in Rasho is a good move. Rush will be a good role player off the bench. Hibbert is a center they needed since they lack size. Solid moves for Indiana. They still will be mediocre.

Milwaukee Bucks
Round 1: Joe Alexander (8)
Round 2: Luc Richard Mbah a Moute (37)

Grade - B-
-Alexander won't start since Jefferson is now a Buck He would be a nice back up SF/PF for the Bucks.
I don't know where Mbah a Moute will be play since they're loaded at the SF position.

Atlanta Hawks
Round 1: None

Round 2: None

Grade: Incomplete

Charlotte Bobcats

Round 1: D.J. Augustin (9), Alexis Ajinca (20)
Round 2: Kyle Weaver (38)

Grade: A+
-Augustin is the best pure PG in the draft, a very good PG prospect for them.
-Ajinca is the best center prospect in this draft. He can run the floor at 7"1, he's an animal on defense, he loves to get physical and bang, and surprisingly he has a jumpshot from 3pt range. Imagine Tyson Chandler with a jumpshot.
-Weaver is the best perimeter defender in the draft, Bobcats needed D and they got. Really good draft for the Bobcats, won't be surprised if they sneak in the playoffs.

Miami Heat
Round 1: Michael Beasley (2)
Round 2: Mario Chalmers (34), Darnell Jackson (52)

-The made the right choice sticking with Beasley, a perfectly sidekick for Wade and got the best player in draft @ 2
-Getting Chalmers is HUGE. He's the PG that Wade needs, a defensive PG with a jumpshot. I see him being a starter in Miami soon, so they got a real steal with that addition.
-Jackson is a solid big man, Chalmers teammate that adds front court depth.

Orlando Magic
Round 1: Courtney Lee (22)

Grade: F
-Orlando failed. They got Bogans, Evans, and Reddick, Lee isn't really that different. The only big man Orlando has is Dwight, they couldn't get one in the draft? They got exposed by Detroit because Detroit has a deep bench of big men and Orlando doesn't. Dwight can't do it by himself, and Lewis is the most pussy guy playing the 4 in the NBA since he hangs around the 3pt line all the time. Orlando needed someone like Koufus to play center and move Dwight to PF. Koufus could shoot, rebound and has a post game. Orlando failed this draft.

Washington Wizards
Round 1: JaVale McGee (18)

Grade: D
-Just an upside pick. They needed a PG or a big man who can contribute right away. McGee isn't that guy.

Dallas Mavericks
Houston Rockets
Memphis Grizzlies -
New Orleans Hornets
San Antonio Spurs

Golden State Warriors
Los Angeles Clippers
Los Angeles Lakers
Phoenix Suns-
Sacramento Kings

Denver Nuggets
Minnesota Timberwolves
Portland Trail Blazers
Seattle SuperSonics
Utah Jazz

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
I have to agree with 80% of the Grades that Metro mention.
I would'nt give any team that made it to the Post Season Games a grade under a C+ for the 2008 Draft. The FA market & offseason trades is what is important to make them stay a Post Season team.

I am still shock and stuck on the decision making of this 23 Win Season Team called the Knicks.

I was very heated after the Knicks 6th pick of 6.8 SF-Danilo Gallinari, and it did take awhile for me to cool down.
I will let the Fans Boo's, NBA analyst, and New York Sports Writers force the Knicks President of Operation get up off his fanny and do something after his failure on Draft Night (The Knicks have a FLAWED roster!).

The 23 win season Knicks did deserve all the boo's they received for drafting a 19 year old player that no Knick-Fan ever seen play, or ever heard his name untill celebrity coach D'Antoni endorsed him as a Lottery pick player.

The 6.8 SF-Gallinari was no where near the best available player at the 6th pick, he was'nt even the best available player at his position and that will be proved by Joe Alexander, Anthony Randolph, Donte Green, and Brandon Rush their rookie season.

Gallinari was a Pet selection of the Knick Organization to show the new head coach D'Antoni that management is behind him 100%.
In other words the Knick President let the Head Coach (who knows nothing about the players in the last 5 years draft) select the 6th pick.

The Fans were supposed to BOO this pick. Why? the last two drafts the Knicks selected a 6.8 Balkman, a 6.8 Chandler, and a 6.8 D.Nichols, whom would've held down the SF position in the NBA at a 65% level without any weakness showed in that position (they lack NBA playingtime to improve).
The Knicks SF position was covered (invite 6.8 SG-D.Nichols and 6.11 F/C-Morris to the Knicks SLG) by the 3 SF-players selected in the last 2 drafts.

Here are 5 players who future performance will be worth the 6th pick:

1) The Knicks could buy-out Jerome James and select C-Brook Lopez.
2) The Knicks could package Marbury, Crawford, and Collins, to select Combo-Guard Jerryd Bayless or Russel Westbrook, or a Pure SG-Eric Gordon, or a Pure PG-DJ Augustin.

The 23 win season Knicks deserve a grade "F" for their decision making and non-action in the 2008 Draft.
The Knick President did nothing to make other NBA Players who want to be traded this offseason have their Agents work out a deal with their team and the Knicks team for a deal.

metrocard

Legend
Here are the draft grades from ESPN JUST IN CASE some haven't checked it out, and may be interested in other feedbacks on the draft. What metrocard wrote was most certainly inspired by this article. Maybe he should have referenced this himself.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftGrades-080627

What are you talking about? I wrote everything in my own perspective.
The only grade in common I have with ESPN is the Celtics in the Atlantic.
smh @ you fronting at my realness.

You guys could do your own grades if you want, this is what this thread is for.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I seen both and theres not really any similarities. smh @ lanceroy catching feelings for no reason

16glrsz.jpg

jpz17

Starter
Celtics B
Didn't do enough to get a higher grade

Bobcats A-
DJ was a great pick, we will seem him shine for years to come, but what about Ray Felton?

Bulls A
Derrick Rose will be a star

Cavs C+
They didn't make the moves needed to build around LeBron

Mavs F
They have ruined their team, they should have made plenty of moves this draft

Nuggets C
They got one second rounder, wow big deal

Pistons B
They should've made a couple moves, but at least they didn't make bad moves

Warriors B
Not much to say about them

Rockets A
Donte Greene was a steal

Pacers A+
Both Rush and Hibbert will be starters in years to come

Clips A
I was expecting a move

Lakers C
Should've made a move to get a higher pick, they need to replace Odom in my opinion with someone more fit for Kobe

Grizz F
Mayo will be good, but they traded Mike Miller and Kevin Love away

Heat A+
Their second pick could be a decent backup 1.. Beasely will own in NBA

Bucks A+
They just maybe another team like the Celtics and have a big turnaround

Wolves A+
They made a smart move picking Mayo and trading him for even more

Nets A
Great moves for a re-building team (I used to hate NJ, but now I like NJ)

Knicks B+
Gallinari could be a star

Magic C
Didn't make the right moves to biuld around Howard

76ers INC
I'm leaving them out because I have never heard of their pick

Suns A-
Good pick for an offensive team

Portland A-
Roy got the player he needed, Portland will be a contender soon

Kings F
They are no longer a playoff team in my opinion

Sprurs B
The best thing they did was keeping their team the wayt it its

OK city Sonics F
They are a joke now

Raptors N/A
One pick, second rounder

Jazz B+
Koufos was a steal that late

Wiz F
No moves, they shoula made some

This is my biggest post ever, took a while

metrocard

Legend
Celtics B
Didn't do enough to get a higher grade

Bobcats A-
DJ was a great pick, we will seem him shine for years to come, but what about Ray Felton?

Bulls A
Derrick Rose will be a star

Cavs C+
They didn't make the moves needed to build around LeBron

Mavs F
They have ruined their team, they should have made plenty of moves this draft

Nuggets C
They got one second rounder, wow big deal

Pistons B
They should've made a couple moves, but at least they didn't make bad moves

Warriors B
Not much to say about them

Rockets A
Donte Greene was a steal

Pacers A+
Both Rush and Hibbert will be starters in years to come

Clips A
I was expecting a move

Lakers C
Should've made a move to get a higher pick, they need to replace Odom in my opinion with someone more fit for Kobe

Grizz F
Mayo will be good, but they traded Mike Miller and Kevin Love away

Heat A+
Their second pick could be a decent backup 1.. Beasely will own in NBA

Bucks A+
They just maybe another team like the Celtics and have a big turnaround

Wolves A+
They made a smart move picking Mayo and trading him for even more

Nets A
Great moves for a re-building team (I used to hate NJ, but now I like NJ)

Knicks B+
Gallinari could be a star

Magic C
Didn't make the right moves to biuld around Howard

76ers INC
I'm leaving them out because I have never heard of their pick

Suns A-
Good pick for an offensive team

Portland A-
Roy got the player he needed, Portland will be a contender soon

Kings F
They are no longer a playoff team in my opinion

Sprurs B
The best thing they did was keeping their team the wayt it its

OK city Sonics F
They are a joke now

Raptors N/A
One pick, second rounder

Jazz B+
Koufos was a steal that late

Wiz F
No moves, they shoula made some

This is my biggest post ever, took a while

I agree with everything besides the Memphis grade. Mayo was a steal. Their line up is set for the future.

Conley
Mayo
Gay
Arthur
Milicic

metrocard

Legend
Miller and Love won't take Minnesota no where.

Conley/Mayo/Gay > Foye/McCants/Miller

Jefferson/Love is good, but Love won't have much as in impact as Mayo will.

Most Minnesota fans hate the thread anyway and would disagree with your statement.

Paul1355

All Star
agree with most of your analisyst but you might be giving out too many A's i mean SPeights might have potential but Al jefferson is a young 20pt 10 rb guy...i feel that an A goes to whoever got a steal and a team that got more than one guy that can be productive.

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
What are you talking about? I wrote everything in my own perspective.
The only grade in common I have with ESPN is the Celtics in the Atlantic.
smh @ you fronting at my realness.

You guys could do your own grades if you want, this is what this thread is for.

Did I say the word "plagiarize" or "imitated" or "unoriginal" or anything like that? I said "inspired" (meaning it inspired you to make a similar article/thread with your own set of grades/reactions). And admit it or not, I'm pretty sure you skimmed thru that espn article well before writing your own grades, you being an avid researcher and all, which I don't have a problem of. Hence just to repeat myself, I used the word "inspired." I included the link since this thread is about draft grades right? And that espn link could be helpful to other readers, that's all. You should take it easy sometimes. I know you're agitated, but you should chill out and not immediately assume that people are questioning you or talking negatively about you.

It's funny cause somehow I expected this kind of reaction, which made me want to capitalize and underline "just in case" in my original post to emphasize my reasons. Seems like it didn't work.

metrocard

Legend
Did I say the word "plagiarize" or "imitated" or "unoriginal" or anything like that? I said "inspired" (meaning it inspired you to make a similar article/thread with your own set of grades/reactions). And admit it or not, I'm pretty sure you skimmed thru that espn article well before writing your own grades, you being an avid researcher and all, which I don't have a problem of. Hence just to repeat myself, I used the word "inspired." I included the link since this thread is about draft grades right? And that espn link could be helpful to other readers, that's all. You should take it easy sometimes. I know you're agitated, but you should chill out and not immediately assume that people are questioning you or talking negatively about you.

It's funny cause somehow I expected this kind of reaction, which made me want to capitalize and underline "just in case" in my original post to emphasize my reasons. Seems like it didn't work.

I was planning to make a draft grade thread after the thread before this article came out.
I only used ESPN because they were a lot of trades, I wanted to look over and see who went were.

LOL, you getting too serious now. The only agitated is you since I corrected you over a little thing. Next time don't assume since a thing and try to be smartass.

I'm everyone on this site has heard of ESPN, no need to reference really.
This thread is made for your grades on the draft, not complaining about where to reference.
Call me harsh or whatever, but I'm just being upfront. No need to kill the vibe of the whole thread. Could you revert back and actually contribute to this thread with a perspective on the draft that we probably haven't seen?

Last edited:

lanceroy

Benchwarmer
I was planning to make a draft grade thread after the thread before this article came out.
I only used ESPN because they were a lot of trades, I wanted to look over and see who went were.

LOL, you getting too serious now. The only agitated is you since I corrected you over a little thing. Next time don't assume since a thing and try to be smartass.

I'm everyone on this site has heard of ESPN, no need to reference really.
This thread is made for your grades on the draft, not complaining about where to reference.
Call me harsh or whatever, but I'm just being upfront. No need to kill the vibe of the whole thread. Could you revert back and actually contribute to this thread with a perspective on the draft that we probably haven't seen?

I ain't killing the vibe. You seem to misconstrue several posts, which oh well I can't blame you cause you're just reading it, and not exactly hearing me say it. A common problem similar to reading texts on your cellular. But if you want to talk about being agitated, maybe you should compare the tones of your posts from my posts. Nevermind. Moving on... I admit that I have nothing to post regarding my own grades, since my interest only goes as far as appreciating reading what has been said here already and in other sites.