My early 2012 Mock Off-Season Plan

CA7

Scoring Champ
Here's how I would do it.

2012 Off-Season Plan

NBA Draft- Trade into the 1st Round and draft Dion Waiters, as combo Guard off the bench, mainly playing the 2. This kid will thrive as instant offense off the bench. 2nd Round Kris Joseph also from Syracuse, he can be the new Wilson Chandler, less athletic but great glue guy, 4 years of College and perfect for my head coaching move I want to make. Lastly sign Scoop Jardine as an undrafted free agent to be a #3 PG, another glue guy and perfect for what I'm trying to build. Yes 3 Syracuse players

1) We need to hire Jerry Colangelo as our President of Basketball Operations and get Dolan to just owning. Stern actually endorsed it to Dolan as you know Stern really wants us to be good again and will do whatever it takes for it to happen. Anyway I think he's the perfect guy for this job. Since we wont get Donnie back. fcuk Allan Houston being groomed into a GM I want a proven guy and he's everything we need at the position

2) We need a coach who can 1 handle personalities and 2 make these guys work off each other better, the popular choices are Phil Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy but a guy I wouldn't mind is Jim Boeheim, Coach of Syracuse, who could bring in the 2-3 Zone for us which I think we'd excel at. Our length and athleticism would be great and it would actually help with chemistry as its a team concept of defense. I got your back, talk to me, coming through, things like that get said in the 2-3. Tyson is ideal for it, Melo has played in it, Shumpert and Augustine would be excellent up front and STAT would follow the lead. His top assistant should be a legit NBA offensive guy who can develop a system for us. I would go for Mike Budenholzer, from what I heard, San Antonio is looking to start fresh and Pop is interested in taking some time off, maybe a year then starting fresh. Budenholzer could be his replacement but if they start fresh I could see him being a highly sought after candidate for HC jobs but I'd def go after him and make him our top Asst. coach.

3) a leader at point guard(mainly STAT) who can start a play for STAT so can finish, similar to how Chris Paul and Blake Griffin play together thats what STAT needs, the easier we make things for STAT the more the game opens up for others.

With Steve Nash being too old in my opinion, Raymond Felton loving Portland we have to find the next best option via Free Agency this coming summer and he is DJ Augustine, Kemba Walker will most definitely be "the guy" for them next year. We have the full MLE next year and that should be enough, I doubt Charlotte offers him a huge deal since they obviously had no faith in him by drafting Kemba Walker. Also bring in Ramon Sessions as our back up PG. Its always good to have a pass 1st guy off the bench to keep the flow of the offense going.

4) We need a guard who can spread the floor, we got Novak but he's a 4 and its hard for him to find time during the game with STAT and Jorts taking up most of the time. I propose if Dwight Howard leaves the Magic we send them Bill Walker, Toney Douglas, Renaldo Balkman and a 1st Rounder + Cash for JJ Redick. He'd def be a huge asset for us off the bench. Some want JR Smith but I dont want any head cases I want guys who want to play basketball and win.

If those 4 things can happen then I can see us really taking huge leaps and becoming a top team in the league. As you can see I've detailed our biggest problems, being coaching, Guard play and team defense.

President of Basketball Operations- Jerry Colangelo
Sr. VP of Basketball Operations/General Manager- Glen Grunweld
Head Coach- Jim Boeheim
Asst. Head Coach- Mike Budenholzer

Offensive Concept- Similar to San Antonio, STAT playing the Duncan role, Carmelo as the Ginobili, DJ Augustine as Tony Parker, Chandler as the Admiral and Shumpert as the Bowen. We start with the ball going into STAT or Melo in post ups then we get some cuts, flashes and dives to make the D move and we react to that and take what they give us. Kicks outs on double teams are very important, if you're open take a step and penetrate the lane fcuk the 3, attacking the lane makes the defense react and gets us better shots. When ball goes to corner STAT or Chandler sets a pick on that pick the other 3 guys have to move to open things up instead of watching, Augustine stays up top to get back on D. Ball goes to Melo at 8 if nothings there. Redick is used off of screens rather than just a spot up sit in the corner guy. If we have a lead late we work the clock and get a good shot.

Defensive Concept- Match Up 2-3, a 2-3 Zone with man principles, rotating over rather than switching, talking and helping. After a make we get back to this, on a miss we match up in man and rotate back to the zone. Clog the lane and force them to make jump shots. Gang rebound, box out 1st, secure the ball and push if its open if not get into an offensive set. In the 4th Quarter if down or close we go man.

Starting 5
C- Tyson Chandler
F- Amar'e Stoudemire
F- Carmelo Anthony
G- Iman Shumpert
G- DJ Augustine

Bench
G- Ramon Sessions
G- JJ Redick
G- Dion Waiters
S- Scoop Jardine
F- Landry Fields
F-Kris Joseph
F- Steve Novak
F- Josh Harrellson
C- Jerome Jordan

I know its easy to say these things but they have to happen. It starts with Dolan being man enough to understand he's fcuked up long enough and its time for a basketball guy to run his basketball team. I love the Boeheim move and also my new concepts on O and D.

I'd love for guys opinions and thoughts, good or bad. But I put a lot of work into this and would really get behind this team if constructed the way I just proposed.

Take it away

skisloper

Starter
Here's how I would do it.

2012 Off-Season Plan

NBA Draft- Trade into the 1st Round and draft Dion Waiters, as combo Guard off the bench, mainly playing the 2. This kid will thrive as instant offense off the bench. 2nd Round Kris Joseph also from Syracuse, he can be the new Wilson Chandler, less athletic but great glue guy, 4 years of College and perfect for my head coaching move I want to make. Lastly sign Scoop Jardine as an undrafted free agent to be a #3 PG, another glue guy and perfect for what I'm trying to build. Yes 3 Syracuse players

1) We need to hire Jerry Colangelo as our President of Basketball Operations and get Dolan to just owning. Stern actually endorsed it to Dolan as you know Stern really wants us to be good again and will do whatever it takes for it to happen. Anyway I think he's the perfect guy for this job. Since we wont get Donnie back. fcuk Allan Houston being groomed into a GM I want a proven guy and he's everything we need at the position

2) We need a coach who can 1 handle personalities and 2 make these guys work off each other better, the popular choices are Phil Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy but a guy I wouldn't mind is Jim Boeheim, Coach of Syracuse, who could bring in the 2-3 Zone for us which I think we'd excel at. Our length and athleticism would be great and it would actually help with chemistry as its a team concept of defense. I got your back, talk to me, coming through, things like that get said in the 2-3. Tyson is ideal for it, Melo has played in it, Shumpert and Augustine would be excellent up front and STAT would follow the lead. His top assistant should be a legit NBA offensive guy who can develop a system for us. I would go for Mike Budenholzer, from what I heard, San Antonio is looking to start fresh and Pop is interested in taking some time off, maybe a year then starting fresh. Budenholzer could be his replacement but if they start fresh I could see him being a highly sought after candidate for HC jobs but I'd def go after him and make him our top Asst. coach.

3) a leader at point guard(mainly STAT) who can start a play for STAT so can finish, similar to how Chris Paul and Blake Griffin play together thats what STAT needs, the easier we make things for STAT the more the game opens up for others.

With Steve Nash being too old in my opinion, Raymond Felton loving Portland we have to find the next best option via Free Agency this coming summer and he is DJ Augustine, Kemba Walker will most definitely be "the guy" for them next year. We have the full MLE next year and that should be enough, I doubt Charlotte offers him a huge deal since they obviously had no faith in him by drafting Kemba Walker. Also bring in Ramon Sessions as our back up PG. Its always good to have a pass 1st guy off the bench to keep the flow of the offense going.

4) We need a guard who can spread the floor, we got Novak but he's a 4 and its hard for him to find time during the game with STAT and Jorts taking up most of the time. I propose if Dwight Howard leaves the Magic we send them Bill Walker, Toney Douglas, Renaldo Balkman and a 1st Rounder + Cash for JJ Redick. He'd def be a huge asset for us off the bench. Some want JR Smith but I dont want any head cases I want guys who want to play basketball and win.

If those 4 things can happen then I can see us really taking huge leaps and becoming a top team in the league. As you can see I've detailed our biggest problems, being coaching, Guard play and team defense.

President of Basketball Operations- Jerry Colangelo
Sr. VP of Basketball Operations/General Manager- Glen Grunweld
Head Coach- Jim Boeheim
Asst. Head Coach- Mike Budenholzer

Offensive Concept- Similar to San Antonio, STAT playing the Duncan role, Carmelo as the Ginobili, DJ Augustine as Tony Parker, Chandler as the Admiral and Shumpert as the Bowen. We start with the ball going into STAT or Melo in post ups then we get some cuts, flashes and dives to make the D move and we react to that and take what they give us. Kicks outs on double teams are very important, if you're open take a step and penetrate the lane fcuk the 3, attacking the lane makes the defense react and gets us better shots. When ball goes to corner STAT or Chandler sets a pick on that pick the other 3 guys have to move to open things up instead of watching, Augustine stays up top to get back on D. Ball goes to Melo at 8 if nothings there. Redick is used off of screens rather than just a spot up sit in the corner guy. If we have a lead late we work the clock and get a good shot.

Defensive Concept- Match Up 2-3, a 2-3 Zone with man principles, rotating over rather than switching, talking and helping. After a make we get back to this, on a miss we match up in man and rotate back to the zone. Clog the lane and force them to make jump shots. Gang rebound, box out 1st, secure the ball and push if its open if not get into an offensive set. In the 4th Quarter if down or close we go man.

Starting 5
C- Tyson Chandler
F- Amar'e Stoudemire
F- Carmelo Anthony
G- Iman Shumpert
G- DJ Augustine

Bench
G- Ramon Sessions
G- JJ Redick
G- Dion Waiters
S- Scoop Jardine
F- Landry Fields
F-Kris Joseph
F- Steve Novak
F- Josh Harrellson
C- Jerome Jordan

I know its easy to say these things but they have to happen. It starts with Dolan being man enough to understand he's fcuked up long enough and its time for a basketball guy to run his basketball team. I love the Boeheim move and also my new concepts on O and D.

I'd love for guys opinions and thoughts, good or bad. But I put a lot of work into this and would really get behind this team if constructed the way I just proposed.

Take it away

Imagine how much more time we would have on our hands if the Knicks were winning....

Wargames

Starter
First let me say my plan is based on Baron having enough gas in the tank to be the starter until 2014.

Ok the knicks need to try to get JR Smith and hope he doesn't spend all his time uptown in gang related activities and that the so called NY Allure convinces him to stay for MLE money since the knicks could bird right him into really good money in the future.

Trade TD for something since JR smith would give the knicks too many SG's. Try to get a forward who can do spot minutes at the 3 or 4 to sub in for either Stat or Melo. Maybe Trevor Booker on the wizards since they are on the verge of a fire sale soon and have too many forwards.

Tyson
Stat
Melo
JR
Baron

Bench:
Fields
Shump
Harrelson
T booker
Lin
J Jordan

If Lin shows he can play he stays if not drop him. Jordan looks good out there and could be a scoring Center. Trading him for some nice young prospects to round out the roster would be great or simply keeping him and allowing The new coach to groom him(maybe Phil Jackson to train him in the art of the triangle).

Anyhow that is a good team of veterans starters and youth off the bench to bring energy as needed. Then the knicks can draft the PG of the future with their 2014 first rounder.

Starters would have the offensive ability to get points on anybody, while the bench would have enough defensive players to slow other teams scorers enough to allow the knicks to win.
:afro: