TMAC would welcome an offer from the Magic, Rips former Magic GM that traded him

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/mcgrady_would_welcome_return_to_anQ0o1YtZZNVrS10yjN4RI

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Tracy McGrady said he would love to sign next season with Orlando, where he hails from, and ripped the former Magic president who traded him.

"Of course because it's home, that's home," McGrady said yesterday before the Knicks' 118-90 loss to the Blazers at Rose Garden. "I hated it that I left. I hated I left because I established myself there and made a name for myself. It was a situation where the GM [John Weisbrod] that was there made a huge mistake."

Weisbrod, whose has since been fired, traded McGrady in 2004 in a deal for Steve Francis.

"They got him out of there because he was out of his mind," McGrady said of Weisbrod.

McGrady said he is still unsure of team president Donnie Walsh's intentions, but feels he will still be "great" next season when he has a full summer of strengthening his legs.

"I think it's possible they'll get back to The Finals," McGrady said. "And if you add me to the mix, I like Orlando. We'll see."

Some Knicks fans will probably get upset that hes talking about his options this summer, but personally I dont care. Anything he did for us on top of the extra cap space we cleared when we got him is a bonus.

I still wouldnt mind re-signing him if the price is right, but I dont think hes really worth that much money at this point. His best bet is to sign a one year deal and prove what he can still do, then go for the bigger deal. I dont think he'll go for that but to me that makes the most sense.

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
He'll have all summer to get back into playing shape. I mean play at least 30-35 minutes. If he can show that, I wouldn't be surprised if contending teams offer him a contract. But I think he's going to demand more money than he's worth at this point.

Kiyaman

Legend
Sad Sad Sad

I never understood the T-Mac for Frances & Mobley trade.....Orlando had to be smoking something real hard to trade for Frances, who was the first NBA draft pick to refuse to go to the team that selected him in the draft.
Francis became a burden on draft night, and a bigger burden when trade to the Orlando Magic roster, untill our headcoach Larry Brown forced powers above Isiah head to bail the Orlando Magic out of their burden to become a Knick burden.
The painful part of it all is the Knicks did not learn a lesson from that transaction, b/c headcoach Damntoni is doing exactly the same process with the powers given to him as a Knick headcoach.
Back to T-Mac.....

T-Mac "was" one of the top-5 athletic players in the NBA, but after so many injuries over the past 6 years, T-Mac has become a great player for a halfcourt-team where he receive 20 to 28 minutes of playingtime per game.
T-Mac injuries has stopped him from being a 30 to 35 minute regular season player.
Which is why Orlando Magic (or Spurs) half-court system would be perfect for T-Mac.

Kiyaman

Legend
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/mcgrady_would_welcome_return_to_anQ0o1YtZZNVrS10yjN4RI

Some Knicks fans will probably get upset that hes talking about his options this summer, but personally I dont care. Anything he did for us on top of the extra cap space we cleared when we got him is a bonus.

I still wouldnt mind re-signing him if the price is right, but I dont think hes really worth that much money at this point. His best bet is to sign a one year deal and prove what he can still do, then go for the bigger deal. I dont think he'll go for that but to me that makes the most sense.

Let me start with this so-call extra cap-space we will receive for adding T-Mac to our roster (u said bonus?)......T-Mac and the so-call two star FA is not worth 3 first round lottery picks (thats right, I said three "3" lottery picks), plus we would have to sign 5 to 7 players this offseason to the NBA minimum salary to make us have a complete 13 man roster.
If Eddy Curry was not included in the T-Mac trade then the trade is/was a disaster on the Knicks part.

It does not matter if we are insured to receive PF-Bosh & SF-Lebron (at $16.5 each, which total is $33M) in the 2010 FA market.....we only have 4 players under contract on July 1st.

A no-playing C-Eddy Curry, a decent SF-Chandler, a nonposition weak project Gallo, and a 2nd season PG-Douglas.
When u add the 4 contract players $18M with the 2-star FA $33M u have a total of $51M salary cap for just 6 players....da da da da
:alert: 2009 pick, 2010 pick, 2012 pick, all to the next team

To start the regular 2010-11 season, every NBA team must have 13 players under contract, which mean the Knicks will have to sign seven (7) players to the NBA minimum.
How many wins will headcoach Damntoni get with that roster?
or how many players will Damntoni DNP during the 2010-11 season?

This is a helluva situation for any NBA team to be in.....do u actually think the NBA President David Stern would let Lebron, Wade, Kobe, D.Howard, CP3, and Bosh, put themself in such a situation? without reading them their rights a million times?

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
now that it's out that Dantoni doesn't feel like signing him again, i'd imagine he'd be saying a lot of stuff like this...trying to set anything he can up for himself..

at this point it seems like he's on his last legs and trying to talk himself up.. if he were in the paper saying he'd embrace a bench role or bring leadership in the locker room, intangibles, etc..but he still thinks he's a player that can turn a team around; which barring a miraculous recovery down the road, i don't really see happening..

I was at first happy w this trade, and still am, in the sense that we got a big name round town for the first time in a while, but i though he'd at least be able to take on the 'go to guy' position for our final games...which he hasnn't been able to..

given we get the good talent we expect this off season, i don't really think i care to keep him around..