Roster Moves

NYKnicks15

Starter
By reading all the other posts we can all see we want this team to go in different directions (roster wise) but in the same direction at the end (to win)...

So what roster moves, would you make to help the knicks? Would it consist of unloading the roster to get cap space (which is possible)??? Would it consist of keeping a core of guys and trading the rest for "better players"??? and if so what moves would you make???

MMarino

Rookie
I think the Knicks need to get cap space by getting rid of some of their ridiculous contracts. But, nobody is going to want some of the players they have with their slaries. The knicks need to wait until their contracts expire, and then theyll have some room.

Starks_boy

Benchwarmer
I dont know what i want for this team, i just want to win, no matter the way to do it. Waiting for a good cap space would be the better solution, but it will take 3, 4 even 5 years... too long, really too long.

What about going for the middle solution? Use 50% of expiring contracts to trade for big names, and let the other 50% expire to make space in the salary cap. Like that we can improve the team and at the same time we can reduce our salary cap.

But i think IT has already chose his way...

Blumatic

Rotation player
The only way the Knick can get better is a lot of addition by subtraction. He needs to shed this roster. Steph, Kurt, Ariza, and Jamal are keepers to me. He just needs to shed the rest of the team. Just let it expire and starting signing people. Get people howcan defend and run. Go to the NBDL, go to europe. Get this payroll as low as it can. Do not sign Steph to an expensive deal. If he really loves the Knicks he'll take a pay cut like a true leader. Keep shedding so we can get a good big man. I dream about KG. I mean I'm sure he is not liking the situation in Minnesota. But then again why would he come here?

Starks_boy

Benchwarmer
Blumatic said:
The only way the Knick can get better is a lot of addition by subtraction. He needs to shed this roster. Steph, Kurt, Ariza, and Jamal are keepers to me.

I would keep sweetney over KT and maybe mohammed for a good back up at C.

Blumatic said:
I dream about KG. I mean I'm sure he is not liking the situation in Minnesota. But then again why would he come here.

KG will never end up in NY, stephon doesn't want to play with him at all. But this kind of guy would be very appreciate in a knicks uniform.

NYKnicks15

Starter
first off i like kurt. but him as our leader and franchise player? upsurd. why? because hes getting old. very old. and you see what happens when we make an aging player i franchise player like hmm Allan Houston. we give him all that money and its gets us a 20 million dollar bench warmer. and kurt who we have until 08 is going to be a 9 million dollar bench warmed eventually. we need to trade kurt this offseason while his trade value is decent enough to get us someone younger and who can help...

heres the thing if you want to keep those core of players. marbury, kurt, craw, sweet and ariza....and let the others run out so we can sign free agents in 3 years its not going to happen. if we keep them well have maybe 6 million left over to spend on free agents and that is NOT a lot. especially when you have to fill the roster on that. so basically are only choices are get rid of everyone....cause even if we trade for expiring contracts with everyone except, marbury, craw, sweet and ariza (which is possible if we used portland and another team)....then well only have 11 or 12 to spend. once again not enough to complete a team with 4 players on it. especially if the point of losing cap is to get bigger stars or better players....our best bet is either trading marbury (which i dont want to do) and the rest for expiring contracts and try to get redd, brown, swift, allen, rahim and then the followin amare or yao bidding spree.

OR we can trade with what we have to improve our roster....i personally think holding on to what we have for the rest of the season is logical. we fight it out this year. then we do some trades in the offseason. Maybe work in some sign and trades with other teams, or trade straight up.

I really think we have a shot at getting abdur-rahim aswell as a bigger center. like kwame brown. we just have to view...ISIAH has to view out the options and see what is out there.... instead of jumping right in for an aging or unproven player like Tim..

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
The only advantage the Knicks have is that they have got guys who they are capable of building around in Crawford, Sweetney, Ariza and Marbury.

With these expiring contracts Isiah should look to add players who are young and we will be able to develop. This may mean taking a chance on a player...espicially a big man who could dominate on the low block.

It should be an interesting summer.

Blumatic

Rotation player
NYKnicks15 said:
first off i like kurt. but him as our leader and franchise player? upsurd. why? because hes getting old. very old. and you see what happens when we make an aging player i franchise player like hmm Allan Houston. we give him all that money and its gets us a 20 million dollar bench warmer. and kurt who we have until 08 is going to be a 9 million dollar bench warmed eventually. we need to trade kurt this offseason while his trade value is decent enough to get us someone younger and who can help...

heres the thing if you want to keep those core of players. marbury, kurt, craw, sweet and ariza....and let the others run out so we can sign free agents in 3 years its not going to happen. if we keep them well have maybe 6 million left over to spend on free agents and that is NOT a lot. especially when you have to fill the roster on that. so basically are only choices are get rid of everyone....cause even if we trade for expiring contracts with everyone except, marbury, craw, sweet and ariza (which is possible if we used portland and another team)....then well only have 11 or 12 to spend. once again not enough to complete a team with 4 players on it. especially if the point of losing cap is to get bigger stars or better players....our best bet is either trading marbury (which i dont want to do) and the rest for expiring contracts and try to get redd, brown, swift, allen, rahim and then the followin amare or yao bidding spree.

OR we can trade with what we have to improve our roster....i personally think holding on to what we have for the rest of the season is logical. we fight it out this year. then we do some trades in the offseason. Maybe work in some sign and trades with other teams, or trade straight up.

I really think we have a shot at getting abdur-rahim aswell as a bigger center. like kwame brown. we just have to view...ISIAH has to view out the options and see what is out there.... instead of jumping right in for an aging or unproven player like Tim..

I dont want him as our franchise. Leader does not equal franchise

NYKnicks15

Starter
oh that comment wasnt directed to you blumatic...but if he was our leader he would of already taken control of the game out there. he would say listen up and say what needs to be said. and the only guy from what ive heard and this is only going by the players the only person to do that so far is Vin Baker!?! Kurt is a captain a tri-captain he along with marbury should have already led this team.

so DownUnderKnick3 you agree we should trade with what little players we have to offer in Kurt, Tim, Penny, JYD, Nazr, Moochie, Vin? cause thats what im saying. trading for expiring contracts will not give us enough money to fill up a roster in the off season. so we have to trade this offseason what little we have to offer. the expiring contracts of Vin, Moochie, JYD, Penny, Tim and Nazr even Kurt....

my two ideas so far thatd work out for both teams because we have to think on that frame of mind, are...

i say take a chance at Kwame Brown...work out a sign and trade where well give Washington Nazr mohammad. and we get there little used young big man brown...

and if all could work a sign and trade with portland...Shareef Abdur Rahim for Kurt and tim thomas...and take whatever contract we have to to get him because they have nothing except rookie contracts or expiring ones.

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
NYKnicks15 said:
i say take a chance at Kwame Brown...work out a sign and trade where well give Washington Nazr mohammad. and we get there little used young big man brown...

and if all could work a sign and trade with portland...Shareef Abdur Rahim for Kurt and tim thomas...and take whatever contract we have to to get him because they have nothing except rookie contracts or expiring ones.

Yes i beleive Kwame Brown could be a risk worth taking, he always has had the potential but has been injured or has never been given the time to prove it. Im sure the Wizards would listen as i can't see Washington giving him much longer to prove himself.

And trying to secure a deal for Shareef would also make sence, as he's a proven all star and would be given the chance to play his preferred position at power forward which would also open room up for Trevor Ariza.

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
hes always injured or has a bad attitude (coaching stuff, other players, MJ) while nazr is pretty humble, solid, and healthy. i dont see a reason to trade

NYKnicks15

Starter
fetching whatever they can for Abdur-Rahim....Shareef Abdur-Rahim, who was placed on the injured list Jan. 7 following elbow surgery, has been the subject of numerous deals. It's unlikely he will ever play again for the Trail Blazers.....

link

we have a good chance at getting Shareef. in the article it says there trying to get anything they can for the injured list Abdur-Rahim...Id make a trade for him. he mite be on the IL right now but when he heals in time for next season hell be good...and for now we can just throw Sweetney or Williams in the PF position for the rest of the season (seeing wed most likely include Kurt in that trade)....what bout you guys?

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
NYKnicks15 said:
fetching whatever they can for Abdur-Rahim....Shareef Abdur-Rahim, who was placed on the injured list Jan. 7 following elbow surgery, has been the subject of numerous deals. It's unlikely he will ever play again for the Trail Blazers.....

[url=http://[url=('http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2002172202_allen06.html','71')]/url]

we have a good chance at getting Shareef. in the article it says there trying to get anything they can for the injured list Abdur-Rahim...Id make a trade for him. he mite be on the IL right now but when he heals in time for next season hell be good...and for now we can just throw Sweetney or Williams in the PF position for the rest of the season (seeing wed most likely include Kurt in that trade)....what bout you guys?

If we are going to deal for Shareef now then i'd wait to right on the trade deadline cos by then we should know if theres any hope left in this seson or if we should start building for the next.

NYKnicks15

Starter
yea we should wait until then especially to see what else is out there. but not to sound pessimistic...were 11 games under .500. there doesnt look like there is too much hope. we only have 34 games left in the season and 8 left to the trade deadline....

i like the trade tho we get a good PF, we get younger, and we get an expiring contract which means we get to make his $$$ salary (hopefully isiah doesnt give him a huge increase or 10 year contract haha).

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
The Knicks need a team. When guys like Marbury subvert the coaches authority, going over the coaches head, this angers the other so called "regular players". This team needs to bring in guys that are willing to play within a system. Ball movement has been scarce. We need more unselfish players. Bringing in guys like Antoine Walker would be compounding are problems. We need guys who don't need to shoot 20 times a game. Joe Johnson would be nice, he's in that style of system, defends well, and doesn't have a primadonna attitude. Ray Allen is what Allan Houston used to be before the injuries. He is also an extremely POSITIVE influence in the locker room. Shareef Abdur-Rahim is another complementary player, who realizes he wants to contribute, but not necessarily lead...and that's fine as long as he continues to follow. Michael Redd is available yet another pure shooting complimentary player. The Only Keepers I have are Crawford (contract won't allow for a trade) Ariza, JYD, and KT, and Nazr. I really believe everyone else is completely expendable.

NYKnicks15

Starter
sorry to keep bringing this thread back but theres no other one up at the moment that talks about roster moves...

According to the New York Post...

1. The Knicks believe they can get Antoine Walker for the midlevel exception next year? Is it possible? and would you want him?

2. Before the trade deadline Isiah is thinking about trading the JunkYardDog Jerome Williams for disgruntled Raptor Eric Williams. Would you want him? and would you want to trade Jerome for him?

Starks_boy

Benchwarmer
Keep antoine away from the knicks, i don't want a ball hog like this man, he just shoots the ball again and again, he will bring nothing to the knicks, it's not the kind of guy we need. i realy hope he doesn't land in ny.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
An espn insider from 3 days ago reported a possible trade between the knicks and the rockets who are trying to move juwan howard or maurice taylor:

The Rockets have talked to a number of teams about deals. The most serious appears to be with the Knicks. The Rockets have been trying to pry Kurt Thomas out of New York. According to source, the Knicks are only willing to give up Jerome Williams at this point.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
Yikes!! Juwan Howard & Maurice Taylor need to stay away from NY, unless they're visiting. Eric Williams shoots 45% from the floor, and 40 from behind the arch and don't forget the defensive intensity he adds to a ball club. I still think the Knicks should get rid of TT, Jamison Brewer, Bruno Sundov and Vin Baker. As far as I'm concerned, they should all get lost. The Knicks should let Antoine Walker know that if he comes to the Knicks, he's gotta to be willing to do more than shoot. I can't stand the fact that a team that was revered for the amazing level of defensive intensity has come to this.