new head coaches

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
hubie brown last year did a phenomenol job with the grizzlies and was regarded as one of the best coaches in the league. this year, he all of a sudden decided to retire when the team was only doing mediocre. his replacement, mike fratello, is now being credited with brining up the team.

denvers last coach jeff b. was given credit for helping to turnaround the the team. the team started to play bad. he got fired. now karl has replaced him and done well and is getting a lot of credit for that.

these are just two examples, i am sure i could come up with many more, but doesnt it seem like being successfull as a coach is very "iffy". new coaches are constatntly given credit for short term success after the previous coach left. karl, for example has been fired before for NOT helping a team perform up to its ability. now, all of a sudden, he has become a great coach again?

is the same thing happening with herb? are people giving him too much credit? is there really that much of a difference between a good coach and a bad coach? does it all just depend on the situation, and what the players themselves do?

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
i dont think people are giving him too much credit, or too little credit.. hes just getting by.. i think hes just rolling us into the offseason, without bombing the season, or making the playoffs.. hes getting to the offseason, get the team a new look and personality, some more training, and then next season take off.... i hope

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
Nobody is giving Herb Williams to much credit. He is doing a good job though of turning this team around and having the play some defense.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
i think a lot of the defensive improvement, should be credited to Malik Rose.. hes really been a vocal leader on the coart and in the locker room, and has the team beieving in its defense again..

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
Yah, but even before we got Malik you could see the improvement although Malik has had a lot to do with the recent turn around on the defensive side of the ball.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
not only have we seen Maliks amazing defense but i never knew he had such range... hes hit a couple already that were almost three pointers.. no wonder san antonio was so high on him

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
Yah, that mid-range jumper has always been a part of his repoitor. That's what makes him such a dynamic player. He can hit the jumpshot, get in there and get the garabge rebounds but his main asset is on the defensive end. This guy is great.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
i felt so bad for him when he got that technical foul in Seattle... he was getting no calls, he was getting fouled, they were calling fouls on him, and he finally snapped anmd kicked the scorer's table.. he then sat on the bench with a towel over his head, looking really depressed... i just wanted JYD to come over and hug him, and sure enough he came over and gave him a pat on the back...

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
I was sort of happy when he got that technical. I wasn't happy that they got a point back or that he went to the bench, I was happy because I think he kind of showed up the refs. Normally I don't like this but in this situation I did. The refs were awful in Seattle and didn't give us many calls. Malik's technical sort of showed the refs our frustration of the refs and how we felt they called the game.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
but havent u all noticed a general trend where an old coach leaves and a new coach commes in the team all of a sudden starts to play better, which amkes the new coach look good

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
that happens all the time, because the players always have that feeling that they, in some way made the other coach leave, so they feel they have to play well for the new coach..but that usually doesnt last.

Brian_Coleman_21

Rotation player
I don't think they think that they had something to do with firing the coach. I think its that they want to try to impress the coach and get off on the right foot.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
i dont think its that the players feel guilty, i think its just that its a new change, a new sparkplug, a new environment. sometimes players just stop responding to one coach if hes been there too long, and they stop working up to their full potential. when the new coach commes, he rejuvenates their motivation and they become hard working again.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
you know what was a wierd situation?? Don Nelson basically giving the team to Avery Johnson.. its like what you're talking about, they were responding to "the general" more than they were responding to him... not too many people could have done that