Why are most committed members of this forum not from NY?

DieHardPassion

Benchwarmer
I personally reside in Manhattan New York and I'm just perplexed to see the diverse members in this forum. There is a reason why teams are spatially distributed in that it attracts a larger crowd. So my question is for those that don't live in New York, why do you choose to be a fan of the New York Knicks? And what's wrong about your hometown team? It's not like the Knicks is winning in the past decade but it seems like we still maintain that fan base from out of the state. At the end of the day, it's still basketball and fans will be fans.

la2ny

Starter
Alot of it has to do with displaced New Yorkers whether its moving for work or just leaving you know. Then NY is a big market team so back when they were winning you had bandwagoners in the 90's and they just passed it on to kids and such. Me personally I hopped on in 99 when I fell in love with bball because of them. Then lastly you have those who just loved what they represented and how tough they were until the last decade lol. The Lakers are my hometown team and I love watching them, but some fans will make you just shake your head because they have the biggest bandwagon following just because they have been so good for so long and if you try to talk ball w/ them they act like your speaking spanish or something.

Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter
^ Ya, lotta displaced NY'ers. Plus, in spite of past decade disgraced, and not winning the chips...Knicks have had some badass, cool teams and players, that lotta people were just drawn too, especially when they there growing up.

I think there's a good number of NY'ers tho. Maybe half half?

But u could be on to something by "most committed", if you equal some general post count or time posting here....that many may not live in NY.

Idk, in not too distant past....Metro, abcd, ogdickfan :)rofl: sorry couldn't resist, dude seems super chill actually), were big posters all living in NY.

Once a Knicks fan... Always a Knicks fan.

I'm in FLorida now (St.Pete-Tampa Bay) & this place is made up of people from NY & Chicago. It's rare to see a person born & raised here.

I go to a sports bar on Sundays once in a while to a place calles Peabodys in Tampa. Amazing Jets fan base. Considered the #1 Jets sports bar outside of the NY-NJ Metro area.
Over 300 Jet fans there every Sunday, it's wild; but I still enjoy watching the Jets games in the comfort of my own home with the older bro thanks to the NFL Sunday ticket. I'd imagine this area has some great Knick sports bars too.

You can take me outta Queens... but you can never take the Queens out of me. Also; having the NBA League pass & MSG network makes me feel right @ home for sure. Don't know how I would follow this team without em. Just wouldn't be the same.

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
Born in Brooklyn. Raised in Queens. Been a knick fan for as long as I can remember but my dad started watching them when he lived in russia in the 80's. He liked basketball and loved ny. So that's the team he liked.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Im sure people move...
Im from New York but I moved to Florida. Still a very strong Jets and Knicks fan, not to mention a Yankee ;) *they hate me here haha*

My father's originally from Mount Vernon, NY. He has served at Ramstein Airbase in Germany. I guess he had too much free time and that's the reason I was begotten :smokin:

I've visited the States a lot of times, but I live in Germany.

I don't know why most people on here don't live in New York - in theory this forum should have 100,000 plus members from NYC.

KBlack25

Starter
I think the reason most of the most dedicated posters on this board are not from NY has to do with the fact that they are not from NY. For NY-ers (like me) it's relatively easy to keep up with the team; the newspapers, local news, local media all cover the Knicks. For those not in NY, that is not the case, so they stay active on the board as a way to stay engaged with the team.

petescud

Starter
Like Knicksfanfromqueens1985, i live in the Tampa area. Been a Knicks fan since around 1968 and lived in NY from 1957 to 2001. Hope i qualify as a New Yorker. Lol. I do however try to cheer local teams here in Florida as well. Not the Magic or Heat, but I like the Tampa Bay Rays...while still being a Mets fan

WHAt kills me

is the fact that alot of these knicks fans which i believe you are real knicks fans

dont live in new york and can barely get the chance to watch a game

i.e. "does any one know where i can find tonights game online" etc.

and yet they can sit here and analyze games as if MIKE DANTONI IS A GOOD COACH WHEN HES ACTUALLY TERRIBLE

I WATCH EVERY GAME

DVR while WATCHING so I can rewind and break down all the stupid things he does, the flaws in his second quarter rotations , the flaws in the last 3 minutes of the game

his terrible usage of timeouts down the stretch, and his inability to realize BILLUPS ISNT GONNA RUN AND GUN

IDIOT

so if you dont watch every game

dont back up MIKE D Anymore because you dont see enough games to realize how

TERRRRRRIBLE HE IS

Ummm Harper...

Have you ever heard of the MSG Network, or better yet... The NBA league pass? lol.

Works wonders. I've had all of the above + the NFL season ticket for YEARS now.

Learn about cable & SAT TV before trying to call other members out (for being out of state) as the super Knicks fan living in NY that you are...

petescud

Starter
I watch every game too. Not a big Dantoni fan either. Can't blame him for Melo's gunning though, can we. I like when Melo passes the ball to open guys, but when he's got 3 guys on him, why is he still gunning. I think we need a coach that will call Amar'e and Melo out. I think we lose an easy 15 points a game because of their gunning techniques. Amar'e gets the ball stripped or blocked quite a few times a game. Why. Cause good coaches see this. They tell their defenders "don't worry about the guy on the wing" Amar'e is going to gun, and so is Melo. You watch, when dantoni is gone next year. If we get a real coach, you watch a lot of this gunning to get under control. Between that and a real center, and a defensive approach. Then we will compete with anyone

Toons

is the Bo$$
I personally reside in Manhattan New York and I'm just perplexed to see the diverse members in this forum. There is a reason why teams are spatially distributed in that it attracts a larger crowd. So my question is for those that don't live in New York, why do you choose to be a fan of the New York Knicks? And what's wrong about your hometown team? It's not like the Knicks is winning in the past decade but it seems like we still maintain that fan base from out of the state. At the end of the day, it's still basketball and fans will be fans.

is rady from ny?

Toons

is the Bo$$
WHAt kills me

is the fact that alot of these knicks fans which i believe you are real knicks fans

dont live in new york and can barely get the chance to watch a game

i.e. "does any one know where i can find tonights game online" etc.

and yet they can sit here and analyze games as if MIKE DANTONI IS A GOOD COACH WHEN HES ACTUALLY TERRIBLE

I WATCH EVERY GAME

DVR while WATCHING so I can rewind and break down all the stupid things he does, the flaws in his second quarter rotations , the flaws in the last 3 minutes of the game

his terrible usage of timeouts down the stretch, and his inability to realize BILLUPS ISNT GONNA RUN AND GUN

IDIOT

so if you dont watch every game

dont back up MIKE D Anymore because you dont see enough games to realize how

TERRRRRRIBLE HE IS

Hindsight is 20/20 vision. So yeah, when you see what already happened, its not hard to rewind and say, 'he should have done this or that"

ummm, is dvr only available to new york? im from the Bahamas and my dvr works fine. Ur really ignorant guy.

back to the topic, i fell in love with the knicks and basketball as a whole during the ewing/tough knicks era. and im a loyal guy, i dont switch teams

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Well, a couple of years ago a good friend of mine (NY native) has been always complaining about the Knicks, one day he has made a huge statement and said he won't be watching the Knickerbockers any longer despite being their fan for many years. And short after that I decided to watch one of the Knicks games to see whether they're so bad I've been told they are. And dunno how it happened but I watched still more games and became a fan. And my friend is always saying I just filled the space he left.
:gony:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I was born and raised in Queens but moved to Florida when I was 26 in '06. Now I rep the Knicks in the midst of the worst fans in all of sports. (Miami) Thank god for DVR and the NBA package!