2 Max, 1 Max +, or two non max +?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
The Knicks will have roughly $36 mil in cap space this summer. After 1 max that would leave approximately $20 mil remaining. Enough for 1 more max and a few scrubs to fill out the roster.

Which would you prefer?
- Two max contracts
- 1 max contract and a really good supporting cast
- Two not quite max players and a really good supporting cast

Max contract players should be Lebron, DWade and maybe Bosh. Close to max should be Bosh, Amare and Joe Johnson. Other notable free agents include David Lee, Rudy Gay, Tyrus Thomas, Randy Foye, J.J. Redick, Ronnie Brewer, Raymond Felton, Marcus Camby, Al Harrington, Manu Ginobili, Kyle Korver, Mike Miller, Brad Miller, Tracy McGrady, Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Blake, Sergio Rodriguez, Ray Allen.

Here is a complete list of free agents:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-10-11

Build your team. Make it reasonable and financially sound.

knicksin60

Starter
- Two max contracts = The Knicks possibly having 2 of the best players in the NBA.
- 1 max contract and a really good supporting cast = The Patrick Ewing Knicks who couldn't win a championship.
- Two not quite max players and a really good supporting cast = The Allan Houston and Latrell Spewell Knicks who were good enough to win 50 games but would get eliminated in the playoffs.

I would go with the first option because you need to have 2 superstars on a team to win a championship in the NBA.

nyk_nyk

All Star
The Knicks will have roughly $36 mil in cap space this summer. After 1 max that would leave approximately $20 mil remaining. Enough for 1 more max and a few scrubs to fill out the roster.

Which would you prefer?
- Two max contracts
- 1 max contract and a really good supporting cast
- Two not quite max players and a really good supporting cast

Max contract players should be Lebron, DWade and maybe Bosh. Close to max should be Bosh, Amare and Joe Johnson. Other notable free agents include David Lee, Rudy Gay, Tyrus Thomas, Randy Foye, J.J. Redick, Ronnie Brewer, Raymond Felton, Marcus Camby, Al Harrington, Manu Ginobili, Kyle Korver, Mike Miller, Brad Miller, Tracy McGrady, Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Blake, Sergio Rodriguez, Ray Allen.

Here is a complete list of free agents:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-10-11

Build your team. Make it reasonable and financially sound.

The answer to this question depends largely on the health of McGrady. If he's even 80% of what he was by seasons end then he's a keeper and an all-star type player that we don't have to spend a lot of money on. Pair him with a max player plus good role players and it should work.

If he's too injury prone then obviously we go after the 2 max guys and hope for the best. Your 3rd scenerio is not an option for me. We've gone way too long without any impact players on this team.

RaptorRulz

Benchwarmer
Bosh is a max contract..thats a fact... he will not settle for anything less, so LBJ and Bosh will account for close to 36M, leaving the Knicks little to nothing to spend on role and bench players.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
If you can get Lebron and Bosh then you do it and fill the squad with scrubs waiting for 2011. If you can't get Lebron I would target Bosh at 15-16 Mil and Rudy Gay at 12-13 Mil and then look to either re-sign S-rod(depends on what he shows) and add a defensive center so Bosh can stay at PF.

Remember, whoever we target knows that Curry's contract will be attractive near the trade deadline or will come off the books in 2011. This will allow us to bring substantial reinforcements to whoever we sign in the off season. This is a huge bonus and fact that can't be ignored. Walsh has us in great position to really put together a dominant squad in the next 1-2 years.

I have to think Donnie gets on a 3-way call with Lebron and Bosh and offers them a chance at a dynasty in the mecca of basketball while reminding them of the additional cap space to come. No other team can offer close to that.

bayejorl

Benchwarmer
IMHO Signing two max players is nuts. Real basketball is not fantasy basketball. Whithout depth and decent starters in at least 4 positions you do nothing even with the two superstars healthy. And injuries happen. I guess is not an option for any sane GM.

I'd go with Dwayne Wade (LeBron) + a decent center (Marcus Camby or Jermaine O'neal) + Keep Lee, Sergio, House and T-Mac. That's a contendent team since day one, without needing to trade Curry during the season or the next summer to complete it.

iSaYughh

Starter
2max, and it's not even close. Bron + Bosh -- both of whom I actually believe are pretty underrated on this site, and I said it since day 1: both are coming. At least Bron + ____.

This talk of "depth" is nice, but simply put....it just doesn't fcking matter when you have an otherworldly talent like Lebron and are pairing him up with some solid players -- let alone a stud like Bosh, who is also underrated here.

PG Serg
SG Chandler
SF Lebron
PF Gallo
C Bosh

6th Man -- Douglas

Curry + 1st + Chandler = Center

PG Serg
SG Lebron
SF Gallo
PF Bosh
C Gasol

OR:

Curry + 1st for Deandre Jordan/Anthony Randolph/Thabeet

PG Serg
SG Lebron
SF Gallo
PF Bosh
C Thabeet/Randolph

6th Man -- Chandler/Douglas

It won't be tough getting a C for this team. Curry/Chandler/Douglas/picks are *huge* assets in a PRIME market for a C.

One more reason why ppl need to stop btching so much about Lopez.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Cap Space & Two Max Contracts

Our cap space is the difference between our "Team Salary" and the "Salary Cap." LJ4PtPlay's "roughly" $36M cap space is too generous.

The committed contracts of Curry, Gallinari, Chandler and Douglas total $17.781M. This is only part of "Team Salary." The Team Salary must account for twelve roster spots. Our Team Salary will therefore include 8 "imaginary" places at the minimum player salary, which is, I believe, $476,000. Eight times that amount is $3.808M. Our Team Salary will therefore be $21.589M. If we fill an empty spot, that new player's salary will be included in Team Salary, and the $476K assigned to the spot deducted.

If we assume a cap of $54M, which is I believe a high end projection, then our cap space will be $32.411M.

A Max contract for a veteran player is 30% of the Salary Cap. If the Salary Cap is $54M, a Max contract is $16.2M. Two Max contracts are $32.4M. With the two Max contracts we will still have 6 roster spots open, at $476K each. We do not have enough.

If we buy Curry out, our Team Salary will include only the buy-out amount. How much of a discount is he going to give us? I doubt we could get a $2M deduction. In any event, I would prefer to use him the way Houston used McGrady.

As for a mid-level exception, I had thought that for teams under the cap it will count as part of Team Salary unless renounced. It may be, however, that a team has no mid-level exception uness it is over the cap. in other words, perhaps we can get it as soon as we hit the cap.

Scribbles

Rotation player
You know it's funny because on a normal day I'd go with 1 Max + Really good role players. That sounds like a TEAM.

But the truth is, there isn't such a thing as good role players anymore as evidenced by the David Lee situation. Everybody is out for a payday. All you need is stats regardless of the other little things that matter more (wins, leadership, defensive hustle, ability to command on the court)....

bayejorl

Benchwarmer
I dont think Bosh is overrated, but his deffense is. Maybe his D doesnt' sucks at Lee's level, but it wont be a huge difference from Lee on the deffensive end. That's why I think it doesn't worth spending 5-6 millions more giving him a max contract instead of resigning Lee. It's not a question of who is better, Bosh is better than Lee hands down, that's a fact, is not debatable. But I doublty think Bosh is the better option for the team, except if he's the only one of the Wade/LeBron/Bosh who's coming. But I want to believe LeBron or Wade are coming

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Our cap space is the difference between our "Team Salary" and the "Salary Cap." LJ4PtPlay's "roughly" $36M cap space is too generous.

The committed contracts of Curry, Gallinari, Chandler and Douglas total $17.781M. This is only part of "Team Salary." The Team Salary must account for twelve roster spots. Our Team Salary will therefore include 8 "imaginary" places at the minimum player salary, which is, I believe, $476,000. Eight times that amount is $3.808M. Our Team Salary will therefore be $21.589M. If we fill an empty spot, that new player's salary will be included in Team Salary, and the $476K assigned to the spot deducted.

If we assume a cap of $54M, which is I believe a high end projection, then our cap space will be $32.411M.

A Max contract for a veteran player is 30% of the Salary Cap. If the Salary Cap is $54M, a Max contract is $16.2M. Two Max contracts are $32.4M. With the two Max contracts we will still have 6 roster spots open, at $476K each. We do not have enough.

If we buy Curry out, our Team Salary will include only the buy-out amount. How much of a discount is he going to give us? I doubt we could get a $2M deduction. In any event, I would prefer to use him the way Houston used McGrady.

As for a mid-level exception, I had thought that for teams under the cap it will count as part of Team Salary unless renounced. It may be, however, that a team has no mid-level exception uness it is over the cap. in other words, perhaps we can get it as soon as we hit the cap.

I was figuring the cap to be around $55-56 mil, which is based on the most recent projections. The $54 mil in cap space figure is based on projections prior to this season beginning. All figures seem to state that things are a little better than anticipated and a $56 mil cap space figure is not unlikely.

I think you are putting to much emphasis on the "phantom" player cap hold. That money comes back each time a player is signed. We essentially still have the full amount of cap space to fill the roster.

Also, you are not taking into account the 3 2nd round draft picks that will be selected prior to free agency beginning. These contracts are considered non-guaranteed contracts and do not factor into team salary. So there will only be 5 "phantom" roster spot cap holds at the beginning of free agency. This makes a significant difference and makes me think that Donnie was thinking of this ahead of time by not trading any of them and acquiring one of them in the Nate trade.

RaptorRulz

Benchwarmer
2max, and it's not even close. Bron + Bosh -- both of whom I actually believe are pretty underrated on this site, and I said it since day 1: both are coming. At least Bron + ____.

This talk of "depth" is nice, but simply put....it just doesn't fcking matter when you have an otherworldly talent like Lebron and are pairing him up with some solid players -- let alone a stud like Bosh, who is also underrated here.

PG Serg
SG Chandler
SF Lebron
PF Gallo
C Bosh

6th Man -- Douglas

Sorry Bud... Bosh aint coming....not gonna happen he's guy who wants to be the man, you have a better shot at Amare at PF, cause he's not wanted in PHX, Bosh is the Man, on an already good team thats only going to get better, these guys are young and super talented, take lebron of your list, and you really dont match up at all with the staring 4, Bosh has in Toronto.

And it's a big IF that you get Lebron, not sayin it will not happen, cause it very well might,having two guys eat up close to 35M. Cause whatever Bron will get, you can bet your last dollar, Bosh is going to get offered the exact same , he will get the max from Toronto, and Gallo is much better suited at the SF, posistion, he's probablly going to evolve into a Turkoglu type player, I think he may even become better that Turk, focus your efforts on Bron, and an actual C, ala haywood, and a true PG (insert PG name here), and you have the making of a great team, and have enough money to spend on good bench depth, not scrubs, cause as stated above injuries do happen, we lost Bosh for two games, but becasue of our depths at the big posistion, we weathered the storm and manged to get to good wins, even against bad teams, tonight will be a big test for the raps going against the Blazers. Summer 2010 is going to be an amazing time for the NBA, not seen since who knows when.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
net pest

Bosh is going to get offered the exact same , he will get the max from Toronto, and Gallo is much better suited at the SF, posistion, he's probablly going to evolve into a Turkoglu type player, I think he may even become better that Turk, focus your efforts on Bron, and an actual C, ala haywood, and a true PG (insert PG name here), and you have the making of a great team

Why are you telling Knick fans what's good for their team?

You say Bosh doesn't need NY and another max.

**** knows Bosh doesn't need Toronto.

This KNICKS site doesn't need an ass grape like you.

Are you stinking up OKC fan sites and Miami Heat sites as well?

choop

Rookie

PG Serg
SG Chandler
SF Lebron
PF Gallo
C Bosh

6th Man -- Douglas

Sorry Bud... Bosh aint coming....not gonna happen he's guy who wants to be the man, you have a better shot at Amare at PF, cause he's not wanted in PHX, Bosh is the Man, on an already good team thats only going to get better, these guys are young and super talented, take lebron of your list, and you really dont match up at all with the staring 4, Bosh has in Toronto.

And it's a big IF that you get Lebron, not sayin it will not happen, cause it very well might,having two guys eat up close to 35M. Cause whatever Bron will get, you can bet your last dollar, Bosh is going to get offered the exact same , he will get the max from Toronto, and Gallo is much better suited at the SF, posistion, he's probablly going to evolve into a Turkoglu type player, I think he may even become better that Turk, focus your efforts on Bron, and an actual C, ala haywood, and a true PG (insert PG name here), and you have the making of a great team, and have enough money to spend on good bench depth, not scrubs, cause as stated above injuries do happen, we lost Bosh for two games, but becasue of our depths at the big posistion, we weathered the storm and manged to get to good wins, even against bad teams, tonight will be a big test for the raps going against the Blazers. Summer 2010 is going to be an amazing time for the NBA, not seen since who knows when.

I've been reading these forums for a while although I've only posted once... you sir, are an asshat. Your team will never win a championship. You've had one player go into the HOF (1 year stint with Hakeem Olajuwon), you act like the knicks don't know how to win. We've been in the playoffs plenty of times and won 2 championships. We don't need your dumbass bragging about a player that isn't ever going to bring you anything other than a perennial #6,7,8 slot in the playoffs. God I hate Canadians.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud

PG Serg
SG Chandler
SF Lebron
PF Gallo
C Bosh

6th Man -- Douglas

Vince Carter loves the Raptors.....right?

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i would go with one max and a supporting cast, we complete our team and compete that way having just Bron+Bosh or whatever will not win us a championship considering we'll still be challenged down-low defensively, we need a center who could hold down the fort, and be our last line of defense and to effect otherwise it wont be much of an improvement IMO. Complete the team and we'll see a result in the wins column

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
i would go with one max and a supporting cast, we complete our team and compete that way having just Bron+Bosh or whatever will not win us a championship considering we'll still be challenged down-low defensively, we need a center who could hold down the fort, and be our last line of defense and to effect otherwise it wont be much of an improvement IMO. Complete the team and we'll see a result in the wins column

Remember that we can trade Curry near the deadline or wait till 2011 and sign a center. I think the priority has to be acquiring the best one-two punch possible. All the other pieces will follow. If you bring in Bron and Bosh other players will be tripping over themselves to come win a title in NY. You will see young cheap players with upside coming along with veterans looking for one last shot. It's all about Lebron + 1.

RaptorRulz

Benchwarmer
I've been reading these forums for a while although I've only posted once... you sir, are an asshat. Your team will never win a championship. You've had one player go into the HOF (1 year stint with Hakeem Olajuwon), you act like the knicks don't know how to win. We've been in the playoffs plenty of times and won 2 championships. We don't need your dumbass bragging about a player that isn't ever going to bring you anything other than a perennial #6,7,8 slot in the playoffs. God I hate Canadians.

No need to bash where I'm from.... I was just saying thinking of getting Bosh for less than what Bron will make is crazy, to be completely honest Bron doesn't need NYK,. No player in the NBA,needs any team, as long as there are enough zeros on their contract they're good. and we know NY has the MOST money to spend and yet It has been 40 years since a championship banner was hoisted at MSG, that's 2 generations, and I never said Knicks don't know how to win, just staing that the previous regime didn't know how to build a team, as is apparent with your last championship was in 1970's, c'mon son this is NY, big money and all that and still NYK has failed to win championships while teams lie SA, LA, CHI, MIA has past you by, remember we're talking about the MECCA of basketball,, it would be inconceivable that the Yankees, Giants, would have a drought like that... hell even the Rangers have won a title in recent memory, I mean those who were alive to remember NYK winning a championship are collecting social security now...or close to it, How can you explain that?? I mean this is big bad NY, yet 2 championships, the NYK should have championships close to the double digits.... Knicks had opportunites to spend more than anyone else and it hasn't translated to a NBA tiltle in 40 years, and I do remeber beating the knicks in the playoffs when we had Vince and T-Mac. I know its hard to be a Knick fan, but bashing people from where they're from is ignorant, just because they have a different view point that you may not like.

and if Bosh is a player that's only going to make us a perennial 6,7,8 seed, why is half the people in this forum willing to get on their knees and gargle his nuts to get him to come to NY?? If Bron doesn't come to NYK again IF so don't get all heated.. and by some miracle you happen to land Bosh, where will bosh take the knicks who have half the overall talent the raptors currently have, Raps are the better overall team and may here will agree. That's just a fact. Cause if you fail to land Bron.. T-Mac, Gallo, and Lee are not enough, although very good just not enough to compete with CLE, ATL, ORL,TOR, and maybe BOS as they are starting to show their age. Even CHA, so you'll be fighting to get in the playoffs, for years to come. July can not come quick enough.