Patrick Ewing: I should give Knicks a call, talks coaching

NEW YORK -- Patrick Ewing said he doesn't know New York Knicks owner James Dolan very well, but given his aspirations to be a head coach some day in the NBA, the former Knicks center said that could change.
"I should probably pick up the phone and give him a call," said Ewing, in New York to tape a July 1 episode of the YES Network's CenterStage with Michael Kay.
Now an assistant coach with Orlando, the Hall of Fame player congratulated former teammate Mark Jackson for being named Golden State's new coach, touched upon LeBron James' struggles in the NBA Finals and lamented the lack of a title in his 15 seasons in New York.

"I would have loved to have a second superstar," Ewing said. "Maybe we could have won a championship."Right now, Ewing seems to have little connecting him to the Knicks' owners. He still spends the offseason in the area, and his children still attend New Jersey schools. Despite considering this home, he is rarely at Madison Square Garden these days and doesn't talk with Dolan.
"I really don't know him very well," said Ewing, drafted by the Knicks with the first pick of the 1985 draft. "I think it'd be great if I got to know him."
Ewing said he is happy in Orlando, where he coached Dwight Howard, but he doesn't want to be pigeonholed as being a big man's coach only. He hasn't had any formal interviews for head coaching jobs, but that's where he'd like to wind up.
"It's disappointing that I haven't moved to the next step to get a head coaching job, but all I can do is keep going and move on," Ewing said.
For the CenterStage episode, Ewing recalled his days at Georgetown, and coming up to New York to play Big East rival St. John's. He said that Jackson and Chris Mullin are now good friends, but he couldn't resist another dig.
"Definitely I loved coming up here and beating up on St. John's," Ewing said with a laugh.
In 2000, Ewing left the Knicks for Seattle, a move he said he shouldn't have made. He got tired of hearing how the Knicks would have been better off without him, but even in Washington State he was reminded of New York every night he played.
"Every time when they would call my name I kept hearing 'New York Knicks' instead of 'Seattle SuperSonics,'" Ewing said.
As for the present-day NBA, Ewing had a few opinions. Given the uncertainty of the labor situation in the league, Ewing said he doubted that Miami's star power will be duplicated by another team, which might be a good thing.
"It's not great for the NBA to have all the stars on one team," Ewing said.
He compared it to playing on a team with Hakeem Olajuwon, and one of them would have been forced to take a backseat. Ewing did make one guarantee -- not about one of his own teams -- but about the Heat.
"Believe ... me, with that team they're gonna win a title," he said.
James does not yet compare to Michael Jordan -- Kobe Bryant is closer, said Ewing -- but it's too soon to come down so hard on James. Ewing said he was still young, and takes a lot of unfair criticism.
Kay asked the Jamaican-born Ewing his favorite food (curried goat), music (Bob Marley) and the greatest player he ever faced (Jordan). He then asked who Ewing would choose to have as his partner in the proverbial foxhole.
John Starks.
"He's crazy, he's emotional," said Ewing. "But he's got my back."
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6649190&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
The Knicks need Ewing to come back, it will be great day when Ewing coaches the Knicks. He's done so much for Dwight and look at the monster he turned out to be. Knicks need defense and he can fill that need.

I loved the guy while he played, but the fact that he is always such a class act during these interviews since he retired has only increased my affection for him. I'm a huge fan of Ewing returning to the fold as part of the Knicks organization again.

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
Please return to the Knicks organization Patrick Chewing.

patrickchewing-thumb-450x162.jpg

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
If Mark Jackson gets a shot at head coach I don't see why Ewing shouldn't. The players will listen to a Hall of Famer who has proven himself as the leader of some of the best defensive teams of all time

STAT1

Starter
If nothing else I'd love to see him brought in to teach Amare how to play more in the post & also how to defend the paint. Amare's defense needs a ton of work, & he seems more comfortable as a face up PF but he won't always have that quickness to blow by bigger slower guys off the dribble. He isn't as good when he's posting up down low, often forces up bad shots. I think Ewing could teach him how to pivot & get off his turn around J with more balance & control, which Ewing used to do all the time in his later years. Or teach him that running hook shot that he patented. He could also learn how to body up against other NBA bigs, hold position & stay down on pump fakes, which he seems to fall for a lot.

la2ny

Starter
Please bring him back. It's just fitting for a All time Franchise Player to be involved w/ the team he was with in the midst of his greatness.