Whose Individual Success Is Most Important To NY Next Season?

Who do you see as the most important Knick going in to next year?

• Total voters

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
For me, without a shadow of a doubt, it's Amar'e.

Amare+Stoudemire+New+York+Knicks+v+Charlotte+x8HAg7HNJPOl.jpg

But that's me holding on to the fool's hope that he has a sense of reality to his approach of improving his most flawed aspects: defense, rebounding, awareness. He seems so undereducated and disinterested.

In fact, I think for him to regain face as a Knick, he'll almost certainly have to become the mirrored image of himself.

All his flaws need to take preference over his talents, IMO, for the betterment of the franchise.

Does anyone disagree with that?

● I can't deny that I'm happy that he's going to train with Hakeem this offseason, but that's rounding out his offense. He needs to brainwashed defensively prior to that.

If he were to exert half of the extra effort he gave last season on the glass, and could be committed to team defense as wingman to Chandler, we'd have the threatening front-court as advertised with Tyson's acquisition.

yknicks-floater-articleLarge.jpg

If one thing can be said for him, he reacts well to praise. Prior to earning any, however, his focus must be on being the enforcer he pretends to be during interviews. If he were to average 11 boards, 2 blocks and be recognized as a vastly improved defender, I couldn't give a **** if he average 10 points a game @ around 50% FG, as it simply would not matter.

So that's me: teach this old dog some new tricks. In doing so, lookout for the Knicks to push for 50 wins.

Rob Low

Rotation player
I went with Amare as well but I don't expect much from him. Im just hoping Lin is in the gym improving his handles and jumpshot

Stat, mainly because of his price tag. But, he had a very trying season last year (brothers death, injuries, new team mates and coach), I think he will play much better this year and suprise a lot of people. Plus, he just got married. That alone leads me to believe he will be focused and ready to give it his all. May god have mercy on his soul if the fans see other wise...

tiger0330

Legend
Amare no question. He had his worse year since he was a rookie, down in all areas of the game. Guys do have bad years so right now you write off 2012 as one of those years. Pivotal year for him and the Knicks, if he has another bad year you have to think age and injuries caught up with him and the Knicks are stuck with an albatross.

If it was me I would try to move him rather than wait to see if Stat makes a comeback though.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
I picked Melo but I think it's a tie between him and Amar'e. Melo had a great end of season performance up until the playoffs and he needs to prove it wasn't just a fluke and also that he can handle playoff pressure. Amar'e is one of the worst PFs on the defensive end that I've seen. He needs to transition into being dominant on both sides esp when he's under Woodson.

Lin's a PG so his individual success shouldn't be in the discussion and I think that his success matters more to him than for the Knicks. After all, he's not the one tying up most of the salary cap. Also, Chandler has proved himself throughout this season and his individual success should continue next season if he stays healthy. Right now, he's my favorite player on the Knicks just because of his defensive dominance and how he fires up everyone else.

Gotta be Stat, hands down. If he doesn't improve, we're going to be carrying such a large untradeable, cap-killing, albatross contract that we can kiss our window goodbye.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
If Jeremy Lin remains a Knick, its most important for the starting point guard to be successful. Melo and Stat are suppose to play well, Lin is no guarantee.

Plus if Lin plays well enough it could be in good use for a decent trade. His play will last one more season and need to get something out of him before his value get higher. This is all a big if Lin plays well.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Toss up between Lin and Stat

Truly neither can afford not to have a great seaso next year and its not like a great season from one would nullify a bad by the other

But I suppose I would have to say Stat more than Lin. Now if Lin is a bust next year we look dumb because full MLE money (likely the case after ruling) wouldve gone to a highly overatted player....but Stat was brought in to be a Superstar!

ask me who will have a better season next year?

Ghostowl

Benchwarmer
Where was that infamous video of STAT backing out when he was supposed to play defense? We need more of those videos on this thread :cool:

Sage

Rotation player
If Woodson was an option, I would have absolutely said him. He's the one that has to step up, impose his defensive will on Amare, organise the offense through Lin and come up with scenerios for Melo when he's doubled (that he can buy into).

Of the options, it's STAT that needs to re-gain his all-star calibre play. He's going to dream school which is a great start, but everyone in the world (including himself) knows it's his defense that needs work. Getting some rebounds wouldn't kill him either.

Oh, and Woodson needs to develop a zone.

CoolClyde

Ring a Ling

gotta vote for Lin. have ye forgotten Linsanity? where the true PG ran the team WITHOUT Melo,
WITHOUT STAT, and forged a winning Linning streak the Knicks hadn't seen in years...

a healthy, formidable PG is necessary for any winning b-ball team, they are the heart and soul embodied
in the core of a winning team. driving and thriving thru the paint, pick and rolling, hitting the 3,
finding Novak or perimeter shooter, defending the other team's PG.

ALL THESE THINGS are needed for a winning squad/season.
we can only hope and pray Lin returns to the form the whole world fell in love with him.

I have to disagree re teaching an old dog new tricks: Melo's not going to stop his ISO,
STAT's not going to become a post up player and great defender.

and who wants Lin to play well so we can trade him? and THEN WHAT?
POINT GUARDS BABY!!

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
LIN

Im not saying he needs to drop 20+ point games but, Lin needs to comeback next season with

-improved ball handles

-Improved Control in game tempo

-Improvement in turnover cut down

-Improved decision making while driving in the lane

Everyone is saying Melo has to come back next season better or Stat has to redeem himself next year. I think LIN is under more pressure next year than anyone on this Knick team, Everything starts at the point, its Lin Job to decide who gets the ball. It's Lin job to decide when to attack. It's Lin job to figure out how to get everyone involved. It's Lin Job to make sure Carmelo and Amare get the ball in their sweet spots in where they can become even MORE effective.

The issue with this Knicks team is, basically nobody really likes to make cuts or move around on the floor or set screens. We just stand around and watch when someone has the ball, which leaves us easily defended.

Next season i would like to see more P&R with LIN & Chandler that was effective last season, I'd like to see more Cuts from Melo and Amare.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Real Talk

I have to say Carmelo Anthony.....who receive touches on every offensive-possession
for 38 minutes of a 48 minute game without co-existin with any of his teammates
untill the final 10 games of the regular season.

I cant leave out Stat.... Stat had a F..ked up season trying to co-exist with
Melo & Tyson in a "ISO" halfcourt rotation.

Jeremy Lin first time on the court as the Knicks PG co-exist with 80% of his Knicks
teammates in the rotation (vs Boston). It wasnt a one game Fluke, when a 40 minute
per game "Lin-Sanity" took the 8-15 record Knicks to a 18-18 record by adding
a running-transition performance to go with the halfcourt-transition performance.

The co-exist-gellin of Tyson Chandler & Jeremy Lin equal win win win.
It didnt take Stat long to co-exist with PG-Jeremy Lin.
The co-exist between Lin & Melo are still up in the air as a question mark?
The coincidence of Stat & Lin catching injuries a game apart when Melo performance
didnt gell in the rotation was just too damn coincidental to not be hanging in the air...

Kiyaman

Legend
Amare. When you are being paid that much, you shouldn't have any excuses.

Which Amare are u talking about?

A) The 2010-11 first option Amare that led us to a 28-26 record before Melo arrived? or
B) The 2011-12 third/forth option Amare

Oldtimer

Rotation player
"Individual" Success

"Individual success" is a loaded phrase in a "team" game sport.

For the Knicks to be as successful as the "individual" capacities of their stars should make them, it will require more "team" play. Melo has to limit his time with the ball in his hands on offense -- particularly when he is not really moving -- has to make some more of the passes he has the talent to make, and has to commit himself consistently to defense. He has all the capacity in the world but limits that capacity too often to ISO ball offense.

Amare', despite his athleticism, is dreadful on defense. It does not appear that he has any idea how to play defense and he does not work hard enough on rebounding, which is primarily part of a defensive game. He is just lazy on that side of the court.

We need "individual" improvement from both of them, but that improvement should be manifested in "team" play, not "individual" statistics.

Chandler is fine. We need Lin to be at least slightly better than adequate. Despite his constant movement, I think he tends to spend too much time with the ball. He has to find Melo, Amare' or an open man more quickly. And, in order to facitlitate Lin's passing, Melo, particularly, must do some moving instead of standing in that elbow waiting to start his ISO maneuvers that leave the rest of the team as spectators.

LIn because he wasn't an enough to play in the playoffs he sit on the sidelines and will cash into a check
He better be as good as Tebow on the jets or NY media will kill em

fender0577

Rotation player
"Individual success" is a loaded phrase in a "team" game sport.

For the Knicks to be as successful as the "individual" capacities of their stars should make them, it will require more "team" play. Melo has to limit his time with the ball in his hands on offense -- particularly when he is not really moving -- has to make some more of the passes he has the talent to make, and has to commit himself consistently to defense. He has all the capacity in the world but limits that capacity too often to ISO ball offense.

Amare', despite his athleticism, is dreadful on defense. It does not appear that he has any idea how to play defense and he does not work hard enough on rebounding, which is primarily part of a defensive game. He is just lazy on that side of the court.

We need "individual" improvement from both of them, but that improvement should be manifested in "team" play, not "individual" statistics.

Chandler is fine. We need Lin to be at least slightly better than adequate. Despite his constant movement, I think he tends to spend too much time with the ball. He has to find Melo, Amare' or an open man more quickly. And, in order to facitlitate Lin's passing, Melo, particularly, must do some moving instead of standing in that elbow waiting to start his ISO maneuvers that leave the rest of the team as spectators.
+1 This post is dead on.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
+1 This post is dead on.

Strong post for sure. At the same time, I would say Amar'e does indeed have a clue about how to play defense but he simply refuses to be bothered.

Defense is mostly effort. I think All-NBA defense is a higher level, beyond just effort, but the defense Amar'e has been giving us is just lazy and uninspired. He can do better by just giving more of a ****. Some of those moments this season, inexcusable.