Backup Big Man - K-Mart; Brand; Dalembert; ---Why not ODEN?

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
Greg Oden isn't a bust. Not in the sense of Michael Olawkandi, Kwame Brown, Adam Morrison, etc - His reasons for non productions has been injuries. When able to play, he was pretty good. He hasn't played ball since December of 2009, that's nearly 4 years of non contact on the knee, time for the surgeries to fully heal and he is only 25 years old. I think trying him as a backup to Chandler and possible heir apparent, would be a low risk high reward transaction. Sign him to a 2 year contract with a team option for the 2nd year. Pay him the minimum and see what he can do, I would argue that he will put up better stats than any of the big men thats been mentioned. The guy is a force offensively in the blocks and of course defensively and rebounding. that's my 2 cents

knicksince 93

Rotation player
Back up? I'd package Felton and Chandler for rondo or package them for lesser talent and get a draft pick or 2 back, maybe to Dallas

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
We can't afford to pay for Greg Oden. Even with the injury he commands a tad bit more than the vet min. I can see him going to Spurs , Mavs , or Suns.

tiger0330

Legend
A lot of teams seem interested because he has looked good in his workouts but to me he'll wind up like Brandon Roy. His comeback will be brief, the NBA season is way too grueling for someone with a history of knee problems that he has had.

Maybe if you baby him and he DNP 3 out of 5 games and play him 4-8 mins a game he can play an entire NBA season but a 20-25min player night in and night out I don't see it.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Oden will never play a full season again. He just doesn't have the knees for professional sports.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
Feel sorry for the dude and his injuries. I doubt that he will sign for minimum, remember he has basically made no money in his career, gotta try to get the max you can.

knicksin60

Starter
I am sure that once Oden puts on a Knicks uniform he will miraculously have his first full healthy season of his NBA career and help the Knicks overcome the Nets, Pacers and Heat in the playoffs.

bluechox2

Benchwarmer
I am sure that once Oden puts on a Knicks uniform he will miraculously have his first full healthy season of his NBA career and help the Knicks overcome the Nets, Pacers and Heat in the playoffs.

then we will give him a max contract ala amare/allan houston in '15

knicksin60

Starter
then we will give him a max contract ala amare/allan houston in '15

Then after putting the Knicks in salary cap Hell until the 2021 offseason he will sign a 1 year contract with the Heat or the Lakers and win his first ring just for being on their roster.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
The only option the Knicks have in the choices above is K-Mart.

There are other realistic options Knicks can possibly sign. I think the Knicks should take a look into Joel Przybilla, he is a big body who can defend and help. Other options can be to bring back Mozgov or Wilcox, these option are not better than K-Mart. We have to hope for a dime in the rough in Jerome Jordan, because the Knicks are in much need for another big man.

Also need another point guard, if sign-able Rodrigue Beaubois should also get a look.

tiger0330

Legend
One positive is the new CBA has made player movement a lot tighter. Teams are amnestying players who may be picked up for the minimum and first round picks like Nick Young and Wes Johnson signed deals for the minimum. I don't think its going to be that hard to find guys to fill out our roster as I initially thought.

CoolClyde

Kenyon martin rumors - knicks deal is looking good

UPDATE on KENYON MARTIN - as of July 17th

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/ar...deal-is-looking-good-new-york-knicks-news.htm

<<The New York Knicks are working on resigning forward Kenyon Martin. After decent contributions on defense, the Knicks are looking to power up their bench as they continue to find ways to buy inexpensive players on the free agent market.

According to ESPN's Jared Zwerling, the Knicks' general manager, Glen Grunwald, was working on a deal that would get Martin back to Madison Square Garden. "We're just having discussions with Kenyon and his agent, and they're going pretty well," said Grunwald.

Martin's regular season numbers weren't mind blowing as the 35-year-old forward, who will possibly play his 14th season in the league, averaged 7.2 points, 5.3 rebounds and less than a steal and block per game. However, Martin's true potential and value was seen in the 2013 Playoffs as the Knicks needed bodies to protect the paint and grab boards. While his points and rebounds averaged dropped in the postseason, he averaged 1.4 blocks per game.

With Tyson Chandler struggling in the playoffs, the Knicks could use a guy like Martin off the bench. Martin won't replace a healthy Chandler's performance, but he is cost efficient, which is very important for the Knicks as they look to avoid overspending. Last season, Martin made less than $500K. He will probably get a pay raise, but don't expect too much out of the Knicks pockets.

The Knicks are once again focusing on defensive role players. They are fresh off their acquisition of the NBA's bad boy, Metta World Peace. They had the NBA's leading scorer in Carmelo Anthony. Though the Knicks could use some offensive leaders, right now, their budget only allows them to focus on cheap veterans who can play ball on the defensive side of the ball. >>

that's good to hear.:smokin:

tiger0330

Legend
UPDATE on KENYON MARTIN - as of July 17th

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/ar...deal-is-looking-good-new-york-knicks-news.htm

<<The New York Knicks are working on resigning forward Kenyon Martin. After decent contributions on defense, the Knicks are looking to power up their bench as they continue to find ways to buy inexpensive players on the free agent market.

According to ESPN's Jared Zwerling, the Knicks' general manager, Glen Grunwald, was working on a deal that would get Martin back to Madison Square Garden. "We're just having discussions with Kenyon and his agent, and they're going pretty well," said Grunwald.

Martin's regular season numbers weren't mind blowing as the 35-year-old forward, who will possibly play his 14th season in the league, averaged 7.2 points, 5.3 rebounds and less than a steal and block per game. However, Martin's true potential and value was seen in the 2013 Playoffs as the Knicks needed bodies to protect the paint and grab boards. While his points and rebounds averaged dropped in the postseason, he averaged 1.4 blocks per game.

With Tyson Chandler struggling in the playoffs, the Knicks could use a guy like Martin off the bench. Martin won't replace a healthy Chandler's performance, but he is cost efficient, which is very important for the Knicks as they look to avoid overspending. Last season, Martin made less than $500K. He will probably get a pay raise, but don't expect too much out of the Knicks pockets.

The Knicks are once again focusing on defensive role players. They are fresh off their acquisition of the NBA's bad boy, Metta World Peace. They had the NBA's leading scorer in Carmelo Anthony. Though the Knicks could use some offensive leaders, right now, their budget only allows them to focus on cheap veterans who can play ball on the defensive side of the ball. >>

that's good to hear.:smokin:
What's to discuss KMart? We can pay you 1.4M, sign on the dotted line please.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Yes, they are focusing on defensive role players.

But they have already added quite a bit of offensive firepower (Bargnani, Hardaway, Leslie, and a potentially healthier Amar'e), as well as potentially Bobby Brown.

Also, actually, bigs such as Earl Barron, Jerome Jordan, Eloy Vargas, and Jeremy Tyler who they have also been giving looks to also have more offensive game than either Chandler or Martin do, not that any of them are big time offensive players.

However, I think that you do not necessarily need to add players who average 19 pts a game to this team, so long as you have enough players who can give you 20 pts on a given night, against a particular matchup.

Would I prefer all star two-way players? Of course, but get real.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
We have more than enough people to put up shots, lets keep stacking up the defense. More bigs please. We should definetely sign Martin back for starters, a backup point that can defense and do some driving would be great.