Update on Shump

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
The knee brace wasn’t immediately visible beneath Iman Shumpert’s baggy shorts. The New York
Knicks guard stood poised in the middle of the gym where he starred at Oak Park-River Forest High School, matched up against a youngster attending his camp in an impromptu game of one-on-one. Shumpert shot long jumpers and hopped on his good knee while working up enough sweat to stain his shirt.

Derrick Rose hasn’t talked about tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee or undergoing surgery that is expected to take six to nine months to recover from, but another rising NBA star from the Chicago area can lend perspective. Shumpert suffered a similar injury to his same knee a few hours after Rose collapsed under the basket at the United Center on April 28.

“I was in a lot of pain,” Shumpert said. “When they finally told me [about Rose] for the first time, I smiled. It was weird. It wasn’t me smiling like I’m happy somebody else got hurt. It was just, what are the chances D-Rose gets hurt and 20 minutes later I get hurt?”

Bulls fans can only hope Rose is as mobile as Shumpert appeared 53 days after undergoing surgery. Shumpert had his ACL repaired 10 days before Rose because Bulls team physician Brian Cole wanted to let the swelling go down in Rose’s knee while having him do exercises that he hopes will allow him to recover faster.

Shumpert said he has begun to trust his knee again while walking up and down stairs. Of course, he was doing a lot more than that Sunday.

“I couldn’t be more happy with just being able to walk again,” Shumpert said while watching his camp’s coaches play campers while other campers cheered wildly. “Being on my back for six weeks was the toughest part. Now I’m starting to do stuff for myself during rehab. I’m back in the weight room. I can shoot in a seat. I can shoot standing in front of the rim and work on my form.”

Shumpert has been told it could take six to eight months for him to return to the court, but he said making a complete recovery is more important than any timetable.

“It will be based on how my leg reacts when I do more stuff, how I work out in practice,” the All-Rookie first-teamer said. “Right now, I’m just trying to get back in eight months. I’m not rushing to get back earlier. If I do, I do. If I don’t, I don’t. The most important thing is that I come back and help the Knicks. I don’t want to come back and be the same person I was last year. I want to come back and have added something to my game.”

Shumpert never got the chance to play Rose in high school and relished his team’s thrilling 100-99 overtime victory over the Bulls franchise he grew up rooting for on Easter Sunday. Shumpert said he hasn’t talked to Rose since he underwent surgery, but hopes to compare notes about how their rehabilitations are going the next time they meet.

They can talk about the pain and the irony of both players suffering such similar injuries on the same day.

“It felt like all of Chicago was calling me panicking,” Shumpert said. “I didn’t realize that when D-Rose got hurt a lot of people in Chicago said, ‘We’ve still got Iman. Iman is playing today.’ Then I get hurt and it was like, ‘Oh, my God.’ I just smiled. Tough luck. I know D-Rose is going to bounce back. I’m going to bounce back. Hopefully, we’ll both come back two times stronger.”

1f00f0d2b98011e1b9f1123138140926_7.jpg

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/13410251-579/iman-shumpert-shares-rehab-path-with-derrick-rose.html

Kiyaman

Legend
Nice update.... I expect Shump's return to be at the start of the 2013-14 season where he will be 90% of the Shumpert we seen after the All-Star break. The missing 10% will be in building his confidence back game after game (Kittles).

p0nder

Starter
Best thing about Shump is his attitude. He hopes to come back better then he was, having added a jumper and some offensive game to go with his great instincts on defense. He is putting in work even with the bum knee. It's incredible really. I expect he will be a big part of our run next season as we get later into the year and his playing time increases.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
I've had friends with ACL tears and like the rest of you have seen them on TV. I haven't yet (*crosses fingers*) but I worry every time I step on the bball court that I will.

The hardest part according to them is the psychological component of the injury. They're never the same even after they've healed fully bc they're so scared of re-injuring it. Iman is young and has better medical resources than we'll ever have so I'm not as worried about his healing time as much as I am about his play afterwards. He seems like a positive guy so hopefully it doesn't affect him as much.

Kiyaman

Legend
I've had friends with ACL tears and like the rest of you have seen them on TV. I haven't yet (*crosses fingers*) but I worry every time I step on the bball court that I will.

The hardest part according to them is the psychological component of the injury. They're never the same even after they've healed fully bc they're so scared of re-injuring it. Iman is young and has better medical resources than we'll ever have so I'm not as worried about his healing time as much as I am about his play afterwards. He seems like a positive guy so hopefully it doesn't affect him as much.

A lot of Knicks fans are not looking at the psychological factor and the slow healing process of a torn ACL. The Knicks management, coaching, and selfish individual players has never showed any great interest in young players healing-process for fans to be confident in the Knicks medical staff.....1979 Toby Knight, 1999 Marcus Camby, 2005 Frye....our medical staff were so poor we had veteran players come here and re-injure their ACL .... Webster, Larry Johnson, Rice, Mcdyess ........

We can not rush Shumpert return

New New York

Quiet Storm

You are spot on! I have done this exact injury and it takes a while before you are comfortable doing anything

It's all about milestones though

1.Getting back on the court with brace on

2.Playing an affective game with brace on

3.Playing for the first time with no brace

4.First time you play without a brace and you give no thought about it

You go from step 1 to step 2 in about 2 weeks (at the most assuming you had a good rehab, I had a great rehab and I do not have a third the resources no work ethic Shump has....he'll be fine!).

Steps 2 to 3 will take about 6 months, like you said it is psychological that brace really is your safety net man! Learning to operate without it will be key, I was cleared to workout without and still wore it for another 2 months

There will be a huge drop off in his game once the brace comes off because its like driving without a seatbelt on at first but when you stop thinking about it you are fine!

I hate this injury because with Shump's dedication he wouldve came back monsterous in October, but those are the breaks, he'll look rusty til about mid Febuary, be himself by March and will be better than before by the end of the season