The Official Jorts Thread: What do we know about him?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The Official Jorts Thread: What do we know about him?

Not a whole lot.

I believe this article has been posted before, but this is a focal thread on Jorts. Considering how much we need him as a position player, I'd appreciate any comments, assessments etc. from those who've seen him play, as I have virtually no access to College Hoops without paying for cable here in Japan.

Perhaps no player has been a more pleasant surprise in this year's NCAA tournament than Kentucky's Josh Harrellson. The Wildcats' center was a valuable piece all season, but his increased production in the tournament has been a huge factor in Kentucky's run to the Final Four, as he's averaged almost 15 points and 9 rebounds per game while shooting 76% from the field.

Harrellson?a former Junior College recruit--was nowhere near the NBA radar prior to this season after only seeing the floor in blowouts as a junior?playing just 88 total minutes all year. However, with the departures of DeMarcus Cousins, Patrick Patterson and Daniel Orton to the NBA, and Enes Kanter being ruled ineligible, Harrellson was thrust into the starting center role for the Wildcats. Without much depth at the big positions, he's been able to play through some of his struggles this season, and now he's peaking at the right time, helping his team to victories and catching the attention of NBA scouts.

1301609504.jpg

From a physical standpoint, Harrellson isn't exactly what scouts are usually looking for from an NBA center. At 6'10? and 275 pounds, with a frame that could still use some tightening up, Harrellson has the strength and bulk needed to compete on the interior, and while he is a better athlete than he appears at first glance, he lacks the length and athleticism of a prototypical NBA big man.

Harrellson has earned praise from the Kentucky coaching staff this season for his commitment to improving his conditioning, enabling him to play increased minutes than what was initially expected from him. He'll need to continue to work hard on his conditioning level and maximizing his explosiveness to limit the disadvantages he'd face physically against NBA caliber centers.

On the offensive end, Coach John Calipari has creatively found ways to take advantage of Harrellson by using him in ball-screen actions and dribble handoffs to free his teammates for shots. He's comfortable catching the ball on the perimeter and shows good decision making skills, as evidenced by the fact that he has as many assists as turnovers this season, which is rare for a big man and ranks him 4th amongst all centers in our database in assist-to-turnover ratio.

josh-harrellson-2011-3-27-19-50-0.jpg

Harrellson will never be a player who will get many post-up opportunities (only 7% of his possessions this season have been in the post) or really have any plays called for him, but he's been very efficient with his touches, scoring over 1.1 points per possession on the season, and shooting an impressive 61% from the field. He also shows great activity and effort on the offensive glass, grabbing 5.2 offensive rebounds per forty minutes pace adjusted (3rd highest of all centers in our database), and utilizing both hands to finish around the rim on put-backs.

In order to really enhance his appeal to NBA coaches on the offensive end, Harrellson will likely need to prove that he's capable of knocking down mid-range jump shots, which would keep defenders more honest and make him more of a pick-and-pop threat. He's taken less than one jump shot per game so far this season, and has only connected on 28% of those attempts, but he has a decent release and looks to have the potential to be a serviceable mid-range shooter if he puts in the work.

Defensively, Harrellson will always be at a disadvantage athletically, but he does his best to overcome some of his limitations by playing with a great motor and being extremely physical. He stands his ground in the post and makes it difficult for players to establish post position. Once they have the ball, he continues to fight hard and challenge shots and generally shows good instincts. His average length compared to NBA centers will be an issue though, as will his lack of lateral quickness when defending pick-and-rolls and having quicker big men face him up.

While Harrellson will need to continue to perform in the pre-draft process to hear his name called this June, his play in the tournament has solidified him as a player that NBA scouts need to seriously evaluate. Teams are always looking for extra size, and Harrellson's motor, toughness, passing, rebounding ability, and production at the highest level of college basketball will earn him plenty of looks this summer as teams look for extra big men to fill out their roster.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-Harrellson-6381/#ixzz1QgKLHpqQ
http://www.draftexpress.com

Jorts & Shumpert Combo Mix.

A lot of question marks surrounding Jorts. I expect very little from him. He's on the wrong team if he wants to learn first hand from a versatile veteran. That, and MD will detest his role.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
This pick made me scratch my head as well. I would have went with Selby, Benson, or tried to trade up in the second round to get better vaule. I hope I am wrong but this guy wont ever play a meaningful minute for the Knicks.:2cents:

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
He has very little upside.

Questionable if he can even be effective in the NBA. Not a great athlete, has weight problems (That's why he didn't play at Kentucky until this year) and a poor wingspan/standing reach. His main skill is rebounding and playing hard, but I really don't see him ever starting. At best, I guess he can be a backup PF off the bench IF he develops a mid range shot. If not he'll be out of the NBA soon.

STAT1

Starter
Can this guy be a poorman's Bill Laimbeer? Seems like he's got the toughness & the size, but does he have the basketball skills?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Can this guy be a poorman's Bill Laimbeer? Seems like he's got the toughness & the size, but does he have the basketball skills?

I don't think the Laimbeer comparison is poignant AT ALL. It amazes me how we dig up names for comparisons when discussing European/white basketball players.

Dirk > Bird. Gallo > Dirk. Love > McHale..... and now - Jorts > Laimbeer. It's retarded.

smokes

Huge Member
Crazy⑧s;183967 said:
I don't think the Laimbeer comparison is poignant AT ALL. It amazes me how we dig up names for comparisons when discussing European/white basketball players.

Dirk > Bird. Gallo > Dirk. Love > McHale..... and now - Jorts > Laimbeer. It's retarded.

Or Jordan Hill and Balkman :lol:

CoolClyde

Crazy Jorts

hey Crazy 8's, you got a little Jorts on your shorts... homo (no homo).
:peace::smokin::peace:

STAT1

Starter
Crazy⑧s;183967 said:

When did I say Jorts was > Laimbeer? Do you read before you comment? I asked a question. Can he be a POOR MAN'S version of Laimbeer. I'm asking because I have no idea what his game is like. Instead of being condescending maybe you can just answer it by saying you don't think so & leave it at that? Can't ask a question around here without getting a smart ass answer I guess.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
When did I say Jorts was > Laimbeer? Do you read before you comment? I asked a question. Can he be a POOR MAN'S version of Laimbeer. I'm asking because I have no idea what his game is like. Instead of being condescending maybe you can just answer it by saying you don't think so & leave it at that? Can't ask a question around here without getting a smart ass answer I guess.

I didn't use the > arrow as an indicator of one individual being better than the other. I used it as a comparative indicator between 2 individuals.

And, I still believe that a big, aggressive, center that's white and unathletic be instantly thrown in to the Laimbeer comparisons is ridiculous.

Poor man's version or no, it really is just silly.

That is all.

STAT1

Starter
Crazy⑧s;183975 said:
I didn't use the > arrow as an indicator of one individual being better than the other. I used it as a comparative indicator between 2 individuals.

And, I still believe that a big, aggressive, center that's white and unathletic be instantly thrown in to the Laimbeer comparisons is ridiculous.

Poor man's version or no, it really is just silly.

That is all.

Not sure why it's silly to ask a question whether this kid can be a poor man's version of Laimbeer when Laimbeer was also a big, aggressive, unathletic center, regardless of the fact he was a terrific basketball player. Asking questions is typically done because you don't have the answer and looking for one. I haven't seen Jorts play. Obviously you seem to feel yourself to be the authority on him. When I say poor man's version I'm already suggesting he would be several notches below Laimbeer in terms of basketball skill. The only one choosing to bring race into this conversation is you. If it makes you feel any better I'll rephrase my question like this - Is Jorts capable of being a similar player in style to Kevin Dampier? (Or is that a silly question to you too?) :rolleyes:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Not sure why it's silly to ask a question whether this kid can be a poor man's version of Laimbeer when Laimbeer was also a big, aggressive, unathletic center, regardless of the fact he was a terrific basketball player.

If you know so little about him, it really does come across as the typical pigmentation comparison. Wouldn't you agree?

Asking questions is typically done because you don't have the answer and looking for one. I haven't seen Jorts play. Obviously you seem to feel yourself to be the authority on him.

Obviously I don't. Reading is usually partaken in for the sake of coherent understanding.

The only one choosing to bring race into this conversation is you.

I bring it up because it's a constant in this league, and it's ridiculous.

If it makes you feel any better I'll rephrase my question like this - Is Jorts capable of being a similar player in style to Kevin Dampier? (Or is that a silly question to you too?

You would never, and you know it, have made that comparison [on any level, poor man's etc.] without any provocation. It's not that I'm singling you out intentionally, you're one in many million. All I'm saying is - "It's non-sensical'.

Please don't take it personally.

Who the **** is Kevin Dampier? :lol:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I don't see what the big deal is re: comparing players Crazy. I gotta agree w STAT1 here.. I like the Lambeer comparison because they're both around 6'10'', not very athletic and both guys appear to be tough, hard-nosed types. Each of them can also stick that little midrange J.

Now no ones saying Jorts will be Lambeer, that would be obsurd say so early. But from what I know and have heard/read about Jorts, Lambeer seems to be a good frame of reference when looking for a player for one to ask the question, "Can he be anything close to or like ____________?".. There's nothing wrong w asking this question and it has nothing to do w race.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I don't see what the big deal is re: comparing players Crazy. I gotta agree w STAT1 here.. I like the Lambeer comparison because they're both around 6'10'', not very athletic and both guys appear to be tough, hard-nosed types. Each of them can also stick that little midrange J.

Now no ones saying Jorts will be Lambeer, that would be obsurd say so early. But from what I know and have heard/read about Jorts, Lambeer seems to be a good frame of reference when looking for a player for one to ask the question, "Can he be anything close to or like ____________?".. There's nothing wrong w asking this question and it has nothing to do w race.

What I have I gotten myself in to, Ron?

Whether or not it is a good comparison, which it is to a degree, I'm just saying that we've gotta stop with the white man comparisons.

Gallo, Larry (whose vid mix you posted in the ent thread was awesome) Dirk, Chambers, Laimbeer and so forth have always been thrown in to the same stock pile and it's silly. There's absolutely no denying that it's a constant.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Crazy⑧s;183984 said:
What I have I gotten myself in to, Ron?

Whether or not it is a good comparison, which it is to a degree, I'm just saying that we've gotta stop with the white man comparisons.

Gallo, Larry (whose vid mix you posted in the ent thread was awesome) Dirk, Chambers, Laimbeer and so forth have always been thrown in to the same stock pile and it's silly. There's absolutely no denying that it's a constant.

The thing is... the only reason I'm comparing them is because their respective games and demeanor happen to be similar. They both just happen to be white.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
The thing is... the only reason I'm comparing them is because their respective games and demeanor happen to be similar. They both just happen to be white.

Kurt Thomas can also be comparable to Jorts if we're talking about play style and demeanor. They're both:
Tough
capable of hitting the Mid range J
Rebounding and defense-first players.

I think that Laimbeer comes to mind first when trying to find a comparable player to Jorts because of skin color. :2cents:

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
I like the Lambeer comparison because they're both around 6'10'', not very athletic and both guys appear to be tough, hard-nosed types. Each of them can also stick that little midrange J.

Yeah except Harrellson hasn't shown he can shoot a midrange shot AT ALL. Look at the first post. He barely took one a game and hit 28% of them. He doesn't have any sort of jumpshot.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Yeah except Harrellson hasn't shown he can shoot a midrange shot AT ALL. Look at the first post. He barely took one a game and hit 28% of them. He doesn't have any sort of jumpshot.

You're wrong about this. He has a good stroke (no homo). :thumbsup:

tiger0330

Legend
He's like a 55% FT shooter as well. Don't know what guys are thinking when they say he can hit the J shooting 28% on his jumpers and 55% from the charity stripe with nobodies hand in his face.