The Cons Of D'Antoni In His Entire Time With The Team

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Yes, I know, another anti-D'Antoni thread, but this is a bit different since this is a list.

In here make a brief con of D'Antoni since being here. I will add it to this post. It does not matter if we all agree with with the same opinions on him. Eventually we can discuss these opinions. For now, let's just make a big list. If there is something factually wrong (a stat or whatever, let us know). I'm not gonna add who posted these opinions, just a line between each one, to make it look simple. Everything is in this thread so it'll be easy to find.

______

-While Marbury wasn't perfect, and Dolan might have had something to do with it, D'Antoni was having Marbury come off the bench for Duhon in pre-season. The crazy thing is, Duhon wasn't even better than Nate.

-Playing Duhon over Nate was understandable in his first 2-3 months with the team. He was pass-first, had chemistry with Lee, and was a solid scorer. His struggles after the first two months should have definitely made Robinson the starting PG. Nate shouldn't have been "a spark off the bench" as D'Antoni said with that roster.

-Doesn't use fouls near the end of the game (Roy's buzzer beater being one example)

-Lets players jack threes all game long and telling them to stop and/or benching them (Harrington was ridiculous with this)

-Robinson has a good game against Orlando, then gets benched fourteen games because of D'Antoni's personal feelings about him. It's not like we had a had a great team and could afford not playing him.

-Has small rotations might have drained and/or hurt players. Duhon and Felton's play both dropped off after their first two months with us. I think both were playing forty or so minutes a game. Those small rotations also was hurting our chances of winning games since we didn't have enough talent in those rotations, and he still doesn't use all the players he should.

-He's biased with players no matter how bad they play (Duhon)

-He said he was playing veteran guys such as Larry Hughes (not that I was against him playing) to give them a bigger contract the next season. WTF?

-Doesn't use players the right way, such as Amar'e and Harrellson hanging out on the three point line. He cares more about his crappy system than doing the right thing.

-Lin played good against the Celtics, he decides to not play him in the second half of the game to play a highly struggling Douglas

Not a good in game manager. Doesn't substitute to counter the other teams moves. Seems he just plays guys based on the minutes he sets for them.

Doesn't seem to understand there is a different mindset you must have in a close game during the 4th qtr. Possessions time management become more important than the 1st available shot.

Last edited:

skisloper

Starter
Yes, I know, another anti-D'Antoni thread, but this is a bit different since this is a list.

In here make a brief con of D'Antoni since being here. I will add it to this post. It does not matter if we all agree with with the same opinions on him. Eventually we can discuss these opinions. For now, let's just make a big list. If there is something factually wrong (a stat or whatever, let us know). I'm not gonna add who posted these opinions, just a line between each one, to make it look simple. Everything is in this thread so it'll be easy to find.

______

-Said he'd start a clean slate with Marbury, which did not happen. While Marbury wasn't perfect, and Dolan might have had something to do with it, D'Antoni was having Marbury come off the bench for Duhon in pre-season. The crazy thing is, Duhon wasn't better than Nate.

-Playing Duhon over Nate was understandable in his first 2-3 months with the team. He was pass-first, had chemistry with Lee, and was a solid scorer. His struggles after the first two months should have definitely made Robinson the starting PG. Nate shouldn't have been "a spark off the bench" as D'Antoni said with that roster.

-Doesn't use fouls near the end of the game (Roy's buzzer beater being on example)

-Lets players jack threes all game long and telling them to stop and/or benching them (Harrington was ridiculous with this)

-Robinson has a good game against Orlando, then gets benched fourteen games because of D'Antoni's personal feelings about him. It's not like we had a had a great team and could afford not playing him.

-Has small rotations might have drained and/or hurt players. Duhon and Felton's play both dropped off after their first two months with us. I think both were playing forty or so minutes a game. Those small rotations also was hurting our chances of winning games since we didn't have enough talent in those rotations, and he still doesn't use all the players he should.

-He said he was playing guys such as Larry Hughes (not that I was against him playing) to give them a bigger contract the next season. WTF?

-Doesn't use players the right way, such as Amar'e and Harrellson hanging out on the three point line. He cares more about his crappy system than doing the right thing.

-Lin plays good against the Celtics, decides to not play him in the second half of the game to play a highly struggling Douglas.

Dude at this point who cares,,,,,,,,,LIN was quoted as he played poorly in the Celtics game....so maybe his time was just not ready......
LET IT BE ALREADY....we are winning....who cares...
I absolutely do not want him fired.
I absolutley want Phil Jackson next season.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Dude at this point who cares,,,,,,,,,LIN was quoted as he played poorly in the Celtics game....so maybe his time was just not ready......
Lin always says humble things.

Let's just stick with the topic.

skisloper

Starter
Lin always says humble things.

Let's just stick with the topic.

So lets fire Dantonio right now and who is your available replacement...
we all know his flaws and unless we advance to the Eastern Conference finals its a safe bet he is OUT if PJ is available....do u not agree

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
So lets fire Dantonio right now and who is your available replacement...
we all know his flaws and unless we advance to the Eastern Conference finals its a safe bet he is OUT if PJ is available....do u not agree
That's not the point of this thread, I want to make a reference guide, even if a lot of it is opinions. People still defend him, and he's still on our team. I just wanted to start out making a list, man. I don't want this to turn into the same thread as the others. We can discuss this in the other D'Antoni threads.

skisloper

Starter
just seems like the same exact thing thats been posted...
everyone is entitled I guess to me its like sour grapes...
we are all fully aware of his weaknesses....but at this point he is the Knicks coach. That only changes if we start to lose....so I am not rooting for that...
Truth is with a guy like LIN Dantonio might have the best system for him.
I agree that Dantonio is very stubborn almost to the point of destruction.

KBlack25

Starter
Can we just clear this up:

MDA did NOT EVER say that Marbury has a clean slate. That quote was from then-GM Donnie Walsh and has been misattributed to MDA on this board repeatedly.

c0leworld

Benchwarmer
Realistically, when I was watching the Celtics game, the moment Lin came in he turned the ball over and comitted a harsh foul at the 3 point line. Not a smart move.

No one expected this from Lin. NO ONE. That is why it's so big right now. Don't blame Dantoni for that, please.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Not a good in game manager. Doesn't substitute to counter the other teams moves. Seems he just plays guys based on the minutes he sets for them.

Doesn't seem to understand there is a different mindset you must have in a close game during the 4th qtr. Possessions time management become more important than the 1st available shot.

My 2 cents.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting

______

-While Marbury wasn't perfect, and Dolan might have had something to do with it, D'Antoni was having Marbury come off the bench for Duhon in pre-season. The crazy thing is, Duhon wasn't even better than Nate.

-Doesn't use fouls near the end of the game (Roy's buzzer beater being one example)

-He said he was playing veteran guys such as Larry Hughes (not that I was against him playing) to give them a bigger contract the next season. WTF?

-Lin played good against the Celtics, he decides to not play him in the second half of the game to play a highly struggling Douglas

I'm not one that thinks D'Antoni should be fired, but your assessment is completely accurate. I actually forgot about the whole Marbury thing.

While I think Tom Thibodeau would have been a much better fit, but we've got D'ano now, he is one of the better coaches in the league, just think he wasn't the best fit for the Knicks.

All of the fire D'Antoni talk needs to stop. If the team doesn't make the playoffs or gets sweeped in the first round, I'll join the club. But until then let's keep in mind that the team has his respect and are buying into the system, and Phil Jackson is NOT coming to the rescue. He knows like I know that the moment players don't buy into his system you all will be calling for his head like the last 5 or 6 coaches, players, owners, GMs, towel boys, commentators, team doctors, etc.

skisloper

Starter
I'm not one that thinks D'Antoni should be fired, but your assessment is completely accurate. I actually forgot about the whole Marbury thing.

While I think Tom Thibodeau would have been a much better fit, but we've got D'ano now, he is one of the better coaches in the league, just think he wasn't the best fit for the Knicks.

All of the fire D'Antoni talk needs to stop. If the team doesn't make the playoffs or gets sweeped in the first round, I'll join the club. But until then let's keep in mind that the team has his respect and are buying into the system, and Phil Jackson is NOT coming to the rescue. He knows like I know that the moment players don't buy into his system you all will be calling for his head like the last 5 or 6 coaches, players, owners, GMs, towel boys, commentators, team doctors, etc.

Dolan has to be loving what he is seeing.....
I am sure Dantonio's contract will be extended shortly.

Kiyaman

Legend
Cons & Pros of Dantoni....not the 4-0 Lins

By u mentioning coach Jax mean u should do more reading than writing....
coach Jax age can no longer endure the excessive traveling.

The Isiah-players with a 6th draft pick and MLE were a 2nd-round postseason
team in the 2008-9 season. Bringing Marbury off the bench was assistant
coach Herb Williams idea from when he benched Marbury & Crawford as an
interim coach in 2004-5 season. Dantoni didnt want Marbury in the lockerroom.

Dantoni coaching flaws over-rides his cons & pros just from his poor substitutions....
Red-Flag
Dantoni has no-defensive plan, no-halfcourt setting plan, no-low postup plan,
no-design plays after a time-out, no-awareness of oponents talents, and no-
strategy at all in a crunch-time situation.

Kiyaman

Legend
Dolan has to be loving what he is seeing.....
I am sure Dantonio's contract will be extended shortly.

Dolan is the reason why Dantoni was'nt FIRED in 2009-10 season
with a 1-9 start of the season.
Dolan was also the reason why Isiah Thomas was'nt suspended in
2006-7 season when indicted for sexual harrassment charges on the job.

Mike Dantoni success in Phoenix united strong bond with the Euro-League-fans
interest in the NBA. Yao success in Houston united a strong bond with
Chinese-fans interest in the NBA. Only difference is Yao is a super-star
performer, while Dantoni's NBA coaching is kaputs on every level as a headcoach.

Kiyaman

Legend

Giving Dantoni a "FREE-PASS" every 3 months of a season for the past 4 seasons
is the same as a Judge giving a free-pass to a "DWI" driver 3 times in two years,
or a wife-beater 3 times in one year.

How can u not average a .500 record having "Tyson Chandler, Stat, and
Carmelo Anthony" as your frontcourt bigmen?
all that's needed is for your guards to bring the ball up court....with Tyson &
Stat screening & picking for a moving without the ball Melo is 2 points, and
Tyson & Melo screening & Picking for a moving without the ball Stat is 2 points.
A double team Melo or Stat equal alleyoop pass to Tyson or 10 to 15 feet
jumpers for the guards.
Where the hell does all this 3-ball shooting and no movement from our
frontcourt players come from?
I watched Jorts in the NCAA playoffs and he was all over the place like a hungry David Lee.
Jorts on the Knicks were always at the wrong place at the wrong time....
we did not need any 3-ball shooting from Jorts, or for Jorts to start hanging
out on the 3-ball line on offense. Jorts can not play that way with Lin-Sanity at the point.
Since Lin-Sanity took over the PG role....we have seen a forever moving
frontcourt of Tyson, Jefferies, and Novak (Novak dont rest on the 3-ball line),
but the biggest change is Fields, Jefferies, and Tyson Chandler always
coming to the foul line to pick or screen PG-Lin-Sanity defender.

I dont recall any Knicks players buying into Dantoni's system in 4 seasons....
what I do recall is Knicks players hustling for a new contract by being quiet
about the No-plan-system, and the bold players that commented on the
No-plan-system got DNP bringing their trade value worth lower than what it
was before being coach by Dantoni.

skisloper

Starter
Giving Dantoni a "FREE-PASS" every 3 months of a season for the past 4 seasons
is the same as a Judge giving a free-pass to a "DWI" driver 3 times in two years,
or a wife-beater 3 times in one year.

How can u not average a .500 record having "Tyson Chandler, Stat, and
Carmelo Anthony" as your frontcourt bigmen?
all that's needed is for your guards to bring the ball up court....with Tyson &
Stat screening & picking for a moving without the ball Melo is 2 points, and
Tyson & Melo screening & Picking for a moving without the ball Stat is 2 points.
A double team Melo or Stat equal alleyoop pass to Tyson or 10 to 15 feet
jumpers for the guards.
Where the hell does all this 3-ball shooting and no movement from our
frontcourt players come from?
I watched Jorts in the NCAA playoffs and he was all over the place like a hungry David Lee.
Jorts on the Knicks were always at the wrong place at the wrong time....
we did not need any 3-ball shooting from Jorts, or for Jorts to start hanging
out on the 3-ball line on offense. Jorts can not play that way with Lin-Sanity at the point.
Since Lin-Sanity took over the PG role....we have seen a forever moving
frontcourt of Tyson, Jefferies, and Novak (Novak dont rest on the 3-ball line),
but the biggest change is Fields, Jefferies, and Tyson Chandler always
coming to the foul line to pick or screen PG-Lin-Sanity defender.

I dont recall any Knicks players buying into Dantoni's system in 4 seasons....
what I do recall is Knicks players hustling for a new contract by being quiet
about the No-plan-system, and the bold players that commented on the
No-plan-system got DNP bringing their trade value worth lower than what it
was before being coach by Dantoni.

Always Dantonio's faults....does not matter about the roster changes, The fact that we were 500 before the melo trade, we were winning with Randolph and crawford......now for this season...no PG , Melo Hurt all the time and Amare slumping....
who was the last knicks coach u were happy with

KBlack25

Starter
Always Dantonio's faults....does not matter about the roster changes, The fact that we were 500 before the melo trade, we were winning with Randolph and crawford......now for this season...no PG , Melo Hurt all the time and Amare slumping....
who was the last knicks coach u were happy with

Take his criticisms with a grain of salt. This guy begs for the Herb Williams era again. ::facepalm::