Grunwald: Amar'e can return to All-Star play

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Jared Zwerling | ESPNNewYork.com

Even if Amar'e Stoudemire is on a minutes restriction in 2013-14, which Glen Grunwald has said is a good possibility, the Knicks GM believes the star big man can still play like one.

"Amar'e can definitely return to All-Star level play," he said on Tuesday, commenting on the often-injured Stoudemire, who underwent debridements on both knees last season. "We'll see how it all plays out when training camp rolls around. ... Amar'e can certainly come back to All-Star status. He works hard."

Grunwald also said Stoudemire, who's a six-time All-Star (the last coming as a Knick in 2011), will likely not be in competition for playing time with newly-acquired Andrea Bargnani and Metta World Peace, who both could play the 3 and 4 spots. That's likely because STAT could be regulated to only 20 to 25 minutes per game -- a small output with potentially big results.

"We're very hopeful that Amar'e will be a key contributor for us next year," Grunwald said. "I know he had some injury issues last year, but we're hopeful that we'll be able to manage that going forward. He'll play as much as he possibly can. ... I don't think either Metta or Andrea necessarily impacts his role. I think they're all good players, and good players will play."

Stoudemire could play some minutes behind Tyson Chandler. As of now, the team has no backup center, and there could be some interest in using Stoudemire more in that role, especially with his developed post-up game. When he averaged 25.3 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.9. blocks per game in 2010-11 -- his first season in New York -- he managed the middle, taking advantage of slower mismatches like Carmelo Anthony did last season at power forward. If Stoudemire played some center, it could also help with spacing if Anthony and Bargnani are on the court together with him.

This summer, Stoudemire has traveled back and forth between his residences in New York City and Miami, working out at the Knicks' training facility and the University of Miami. His focus has been weightlifting to build core strength, physical therapy for both knees, and more swimming for cardio and to take stress and pounding off his joints.

Travis King, Stoudemire's co-agent and manager of basketball operations for Amar'e Stoudemire Enterprise, said his client is responding well to the training and he's not concerned with his minutes next season.

"His knees are great," King said. "He's prepared to follow whatever the Knicks plans are for him. He just wants to help bring a championship to New York."

nuckles2k2

Superstar
LOL.

This is crowd control. Catch them with definite statements like:
"Amar'e can definitely return to All-Star level play,"

then buffer that with:
We'll see how it all plays out when training camp rolls around.

"We're very hopefulthat Amar'e will be a key contributor for us next year," Grunwald said. "I know he had some injury issues last year, but we're hopeful that we'll be able to manage that going forward. He'll play as much as he possibly can. ... I don't think either Metta or Andrea necessarily impacts his role. I think they're all good players, and good players will play."

If STAT continues to look stiff, and awkward, and incapable of doing anything against someone who can actually defend the post...well...it's not like Grunny actually said STAT would be back. He said a whole lot of "can" "I think" and "hopefully."

Why does it seem like more often than not, the NYC fan-base can be confused with some bull****?

tiger0330

Legend
His agent said Stat's knees feel great so why the minutes restrictions? We need the All-Star Amare if this team is going to contend and not the injury ridden 20mpg player he's been, let him play 30mpg and maybe rest him on back to backs. If he injures his knee again so be it, we write him off as another Knick failure ala McDyess and Houston for the next two years.

LeFlume

All Star
What was he supposed to say? Amare will never be the same again and I still owe him trillions of dollars?

Damage control or maybe he is looking to trade him.

Last edited:

knicksin60

Starter
Stays healthy even if he doesn't play at an All-Star level anymore > Plays at an All-Star level while risking another injury

Looks to me like Grunwald is doing his best to sell Amar'e to other teams. The problem with that is that unless Isiah Thomas or Scott Layden take over another team no GM is going to play Russian roulette with Amar'e and his bad contract.

Kiyaman

Legend
Amare has always been in ALL-STAR status as a Knicks .. if we never added Ball-HOGGING cant complete a fastbreak basket ISO-Melo to the Knicks, Amare would have played 80% of the games each season, with or without injuries.

I dont know anyone in the Park who wants to be on the same team with a no-defense, never run back on offense or defense ball-hogging nut case (ISO-Melo).
It's different when u play for ur HS, college, or pro team, u must play to ur coach rule, unless u have a high star status like Amare Stoudemire then u dont have to put up with that LAME ASS Bull****...

New New York

Quiet Storm
We gotta face the facts 2010 Amare is not returning...think about what is being said, they are having him swim to not pound his joints, yet an NBA season is almost double an offseason, so if he can't hold up 4 months why are to think he can endure 7?

Stat has the heart and desire like few who've ever played...yet injuries limit even what those attributes

Kiyaman

Legend
We gotta face the facts 2010 Amare is not returning...think about what is being said, they are having him swim to not pound his joints, yet an NBA season is almost double an offseason, so if he can't hold up 4 months why are to think he can endure 7?

Stat has the heart and desire like few who've ever played...yet injuries limit even what those attributes

The only fact we have to face is putting Amare in the same lineup with Ball-Hoggin Melo or JR is not going to work.
Amare became so upset in a preseason loss vs Toronto Raptors when Melo took all the shots on 6 straight offensive possession, Amare did not suit up to play again untill the end of December.
Call it what u want .. but Melo made his point in the pre-season who is running this team.
Our roster became injury-prone before the regular season started .. Amare/Camby/Rasheed