Phil Jackson chooses LA

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Phil Jackson is returning to the Los Angeles Lakers following a reconciliation with the team that cut him loose last year after three NBA championships in five seasons.

Spokesman John Black said Tuesday the team has rehired Jackson, who was let go by owner Jerry Buss last June 18.

A news conference was set for 5 p.m. EDT at Staples Center.

Jackson, who turns 60 in September, has had health issues in the past and underwent an angioplasty two years ago. He told ABC-TV before the opening game of the NBA Finals that he underwent a series of tests to make sure he was healthy.

Jackson's dismissal a year ago set in motion a makeover of massive proportions that proved to be disastrous.

Dominant big man Shaquille O'Neal demanded a trade and superstar Kobe Bryant opted out of his contract to become a free agent the same day Jackson's five-year run as coach ended.

The futures of O'Neal and Bryant were decided the following month, with O'Neal being traded to Miami and Bryant staying with the Lakers.

Rudy Tomjanovich succeeded Jackson, signing a five-year, $30 million contract, but lasted barely half a season, citing health reasons when he suddenly resigned Feb. 2.

Full Sotry

i hope everyone knew this was going to happen...

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
im not sure how succesful Phil will be in LA.. if he turns them around i will definently be suprised, but they have some players to be an average-above average team in the west, but i cant see him making such a big change, to make them the premier team they once were.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
they need to get lamar going.. kobe cant be the one all the time, odom is a great reliable player, and somehow they need to concentrate on him getting easy shots.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
i dont think they're as far from championship level play as people think. if kobe is mj and lamar is scottie (i know those are unfair comparisons), thats a pretty good start...

i think kobe will have a breakout year next yr, averaging more than 32 points a game. hes got all the mess behind him. hes got the necessary talent.

if they can acquire a decent big man and a good 3 pt shooter they will be right back in it.