Ok, is it too early to be critical of Raymond Felton?

New New York

Quiet Storm
This may be an argument that is going on in the recent game threads and if it is I am sorry for dedicating a thread to it....but am I the only one concerned w/ Raymond Felton's play?

First off he plays really out of control for a PG who has spent two years under Larry Brown.

Of course I understand that our motion offense is 10 times faster than Brown's thus the high turn over ratio....

But what's the excuse for the .279 shooting Percentage?

Ok we are only talking about two Pre Season games.....but all of our off season acqusitions have shown some of what we have expected with the exception of Felton!

Mozgov has shown flashes, Randolph has too, both rookies have made some nice plays, Tariaf has played some good D, and Amare is showing what he brings to the table....but Felton has done nothing! He and Roger Mason have under-preformed, difference is that no one is expecting much from Mason!

Felton is arguably our most important player after Amare, we need him to show up

Now....this is not a hate thread!!!! I repeat not a hate thread! I liked this acqusition and still have confidence it will pan out, but Felton needs to realize where he is at! This is NY, patience is unfortunetly not a virtue of ours....and you know what, it shouldnt be! This is The Mecca of basketball we deserve a competetive team!

Felton once said in an interview that he wants to be the guy who takes the blame when things dont go well.....be careful what you wish for!

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
i think he is just working out kinks he's not as bad as he's playing. we still need to settle in and see what everyone is going to bring to the party. from what i've seen so far and ya it's early ba ba ba yada yada yada.... we are a lotto team... again... and considering this is new york that ain't going to be good enough. look for more changes gooooooooo knickerbockersssssssssss

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Of course it's too early. The Lakers lost their first 2 games VS Minnesota and Rubio's team. No one's starting threads about that with any real concern anywhere I'm sure.

Start Douglas No need for Felton isn't showing that he can be a solid starter

Douglas has been better, but it's way too early to pull this out. This is why we play preseason games: To initially surmise roles and rotations, solidify them and set goals. Felton will be fine. If not at first, he will be.

2 PRACTICE games.

iSaYughh

Starter
Start Douglas No need for Felton isn't showing that he can be a solid starter

Lol. He already has shown he is a solid starter. Under Larry Brown of all people, too.

And now he is with a PG friendly coach who runs offensive schemes that also suit his inherent NBA athleticism.

Starting Douglas would be one of the most rash, and thoroughly moronic things possible.

One reason being it would make the Felton signing utterly pathetic if he then gets displanted by a young buck we already had, because he had a few shiity pre season games

I wouldn't hate Douglas manning the 1, but we went a different route. It's felton's job to lose for 2 years, and douglas' to steal with big time play when felton's contract ends.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Felton is going to tear it up soon. He has to get USED to this offense, you know.

Just because it suits his style of play better doesn't change the fact that:

1. He's been in Larry Brown's low-shot volume offense for two years
2. He JUST started playing ACTUAL games in D'Antoni's full-court system maybe a week ago

He fits in well in D'Antoni's system but it's still NEW to him. Let's not forget that.

kukoc7

Benchwarmer
7M$ salary.
If we exclude Eddy Curry (old contract), Felton has the 2nd salary for the Knicks.
He will be the second valuable player ?
I don't think so.....

iSaYughh

Starter
So he could likely be worse than Gallo, and some other youth we have.

You can't expect to pay him a rookie contract salary and a bag of peanuts. He's a legit PG starter who is young and has a good deal of upside and fits D'ant's offensive style pretty well.

tiger0330

Legend
Well it is a little early to be branding him a flop but where is the pnr that he and Amare have supposedly been working so hard on, as bad as Dubum was last year, he and DLee scored a lot of points with it. Douglas is outplaying Felton at this point and looks good enough to start if Felton doesn't pick up his game.

jzero29

Rotation player
Against his signing to start

This may be an argument that is going on in the recent game threads and if it is I am sorry for dedicating a thread to it....but am I the only one concerned w/ Raymond Felton's play?

First off he plays really out of control for a PG who has spent two years under Larry Brown.

Of course I understand that our motion offense is 10 times faster than Brown's thus the high turn over ratio....

But what's the excuse for the .279 shooting Percentage?

Ok we are only talking about two Pre Season games.....but all of our off season acqusitions have shown some of what we have expected with the exception of Felton!

Mozgov has shown flashes, Randolph has too, both rookies have made some nice plays, Tariaf has played some good D, and Amare is showing what he brings to the table....but Felton has done nothing! He and Roger Mason have under-preformed, difference is that no one is expecting much from Mason!

Felton is arguably our most important player after Amare, we need him to show up

Now....this is not a hate thread!!!! I repeat not a hate thread! I liked this acqusition and still have confidence it will pan out, but Felton needs to realize where he is at! This is NY, patience is unfortunetly not a virtue of ours....and you know what, it shouldnt be! This is The Mecca of basketball we deserve a competetive team!

Felton once said in an interview that he wants to be the guy who takes the blame when things dont go well.....be careful what you wish for!
never to early to be critical, I trashed his signing for 7-8 mill before he ever wore a knick jersey. Just simple there was better value out there.

Of course it's too early. The Lakers lost their first 2 games VS Minnesota and Rubio's team. No one's starting threads about that with any real concern anywhere I'm sure.

Douglas has been better, but it's way too early to pull this out. This is why we play preseason games: To initially surmise roles and rotations, solidify them and set goals. Felton will be fine. If not at first, he will be.

2 PRACTICE games.
No its not to early, I think it was a terrible signing and I will continue to think so untill he shows me he can produce consistently and win.
That said it is a little early in preseason meaningless games where to say he won't prove me wrong about his signing being a mistake. Preseason is where kinks are worked on and he has to get used to new system so I'll give him a chance to prove me wrong.

Kiyaman

Legend
The PG and SG we want maybe cut by the Houston Rockets after the
preseason games.
The same Houston Rockets who have the rights to swap our first round draft
pick in 2011. The Rockets have guards Brooks/Lowry/Martin/Lee under contract.
PG-Ishmael Smith skills and floor leadership talent in a halfcourt/uptempo
setting outclass Felton overall talent 5 to 1, he's an invite to training camp.
SG-Antonio Anderson skills are in a class by it self playing off the ball.
Putting these two young leadership guards in a rotation with Douglas/Fields
will give us the uptempo performance we are looking for this season.

tiger0330

Legend
The PG and SG we want maybe cut by the Houston Rockets after the
preseason games.
The same Houston Rockets who have the rights to swap our first round draft
pick in 2011. The Rockets have guards Brooks/Lowry/Martin/Lee under contract.
PG-Ishmael Smith skills and floor leadership talent in a halfcourt/uptempo
setting outclass Felton overall talent 5 to 1, he's an invite to training camp.
SG-Antonio Anderson skills are in a class by it self playing off the ball.
Putting these two young leadership guards in a rotation with Douglas/Fields
will give us the uptempo performance we are looking for this season.

The Rockets have 4 players fighting for the final spot so either Smith or Anderson will be available, the Rockets like Ish Smith for exactly the reasons you state. Adelman called him the best passer on the team and he's looked good in the preseason, needs work on his jump shot but he would fit an up tempo team like the Knicks. I think he'll get the final roster spot because Lowry bruised his knee, not a serious injury but the Rox could use some insurance at the point.

Lol. He already has shown he is a solid starter. Under Larry Brown of all people, too.

And now he is with a PG friendly coach who runs offensive schemes that also suit his inherent NBA athleticism.

Starting Douglas would be one of the most rash, and thoroughly moronic things possible.

One reason being it would make the Felton signing utterly pathetic if he then gets displanted by a young buck we already had, because he had a few shiity pre season games

I wouldn't hate Douglas manning the 1, but we went a different route. It's felton's job to lose for 2 years, and douglas' to steal with big time play when felton's contract ends.

I see what your saying and kind of agree with you on the end but to me Toney looks like he is ready.He has been showing this in the preseason and final games on last season. He has a fire and tenacity I love to see from a Pg on defense and he runs the P-N-R so smooth. I mean did you see how good he was doing with Mozgov. The only way he is going to improve is if we give him minutes. We can cut our losses and trade Felton for a SG while the value is still high.

Kiyaman

Legend
I see what your saying and kind of agree with you on the end but to me Toney looks like he is ready.He has been showing this in the preseason and final games on last season. He has a fire and tenacity I love to see from a Pg on defense and he runs the P-N-R so smooth. I mean did you see how good he was doing with Mozgov. The only way he is going to improve is if we give him minutes. We can cut our losses and trade Felton for a SG while the value is still high.

u dont have to worry, as the season goes on Douglas performance will
out-play Felton for playingtime.
We do not have the right starting SG on this roster to make Douglas a
starter. A SG like Stephen Jackson with Douglas at the point would put
so much confidence in Amare/Chandler/Gallo/and Randolph, that a .500
season would be an understatement with Douglas defense providing stops.

Felton gain decent experience as a starter in his 5 NBA seasons but he is
not a 30 mpg player vs the majority of teams in the NBA.
We had that problem with Duhon.

Kiyaman

Legend
its too early. Though we need rebounding from someone:gony:

We only need a bigman that knows how to hold down the center position
so our fowards could handle the rebounding/scoring of each game.
D.League product Earl Barron showed us he could hold down the center job in
a halfcourt/uptempo setting for 24 mpg. Both Turiaf/Mozgov couldve learned
alot from Barron this season.

Paul1355

All Star
Chill

Yes it is WAY to early to be critical of Raymond Felton....if you are critical of him then you should be critical of Ronny Turiaf, Gallinari, Mason, and Amare since all of them struggled in some way against the T wolves whether it was shooting, rebounding or foul trouble.

This is a brand new team with ten new players and they have had barely any time to know each other's tendencies.

Felton will be fine and will be worth the money, let him get some games under his belt so the pressure is off of him.

You can not analyze a player from two games.

elcol

Rotation player
Yes it is WAY to early to be critical of Raymond Felton....if you are critical of him then you should be critical of Ronny Turiaf, Gallinari, Mason, and Amare since all of them struggled in some way against the T wolves whether it was shooting, rebounding or foul trouble.

This is a brand new team with ten new players and they have had barely any time to know each other's tendencies.

Felton will be fine and will be worth the money, let him get some games under his belt so the pressure is off of him.

You can not analyze a player from two games.

i hope you're right, i was really excited about felton and i dont want this to be a bad choice for the knicks, lets hope he starts gelling and getting into his normal pg zone again.

clumsy

Rotation player
ya he better get it together it's really early but he does not look good...making a lot of low IQ plays...