Kwame Brown our short term Center?

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
Knicks may solve center problem with? Kwame Brown?

act_kwame_brown.jpg

The Knicks need someone to protect the rim and play some defense as a big man. Ronny Turiaf tried but he is a great backup, not the answer.
However they really want to preserve their cap space for potentially getting another superstar in 2012 ? hello Dwight Howard or Chris Paul (new CBA willing) ? so they are not going to make a run at key center free agents Samuel Dalembert or Marc Gasol this summer, according to the New York Post.
Rather they are looking at Kwame Brown as a short-term fix. Yes, that Kwame Brown. If that sounds desperate, here are the other guys on their list according to the report: Tony Battie, Kurt Thomas, Joel Pryzbilla, Aaron Gray ,Theo Ratliff and .Greg Oden.
Kwame is an offensive wasteland with Roberto Duran?s ?manos de piedra? but he can defend man-on-man, just don?t expect actual help defense. And yet, he may be the best option on that list.
The best part of this is the Knicks will bring in Brown or Thomas or Pryzbilla then somehow Mike D?Antoni will again be blamed for the crappy defense the Knicks play. As if Phil Jackson and John Wooden as a tag team could make a good defense with those guys at center and Carmelo Anthony on the wings. Personnel matters.

Wargames

Starter
This is actually a bit of a complicated issue if you think about it. The knicks potentially have 4 players right now who can rotate into the center spot depending on the available minutes. On top of the fact its very likely their may be a shortened season I could see the knicks skipping on adding a stop gap center if either of the rookie centers show they could play 20 minutes a night with turiaf subbing and Aware coming in for spot minutes as center in small line ups.

finestrg

Rotation player
What's the latest on Oden? Is he anywhere near close to 100%? If not, when? Will the Blazers retain him? When do they need to make a decision by? Where's Oden at right now physically? How much would it take to sign him? The entire MLE or equivalent? Less because of the multiple knee problems?

If the Blazers cut him loose, I'd scoop him up and take a chance. Too much talent and he's too young not to take the chance. Many guys have made it back from knee surgery -- Amar'e, McDyess, etc.. I say take a shot. The price has got to be right though...If not, we then go with Jorts, Ronny or go out and sign a Dwayne Jones... Can always go out and ink up the best DL center available (Courtney Sims, Sean Williams, etc..). Whoever that may be would be a better alternative over Kwame Brown imho.

Wargames

Starter
What's the latest on Oden? Is he anywhere near close to 100%? If not, when? Will the Blazers retain him? When do they need to make a decision by? Where's Oden at right now physically? How much would it take to sign him? The entire MLE or equivalent? Less because of the multiple knee problems?

If the Blazers cut him loose, I'd scoop him up and take a chance. Too much talent and he's too young not to take the chance. Many guys have made it back from knee surgery -- Amar'e, McDyess, etc.. I say take a shot. The price has got to be right though...If not, we then go with Jorts, Ronny or go out and sign a Dwayne Jones... Can always go out and ink up the best DL center available (Courtney Sims, Sean Williams, etc..). Whoever that may be would be a better alternative over Kwame Brown imho.

From what I hear Oden is looking for MLE money and a multi year contract.

finestrg

Rotation player
Well I just clicked on his name in the above post and got some information (thanks Kyle). Looks like the Blazers have until June 30th to tender Oden the QO -- $8.78M. That's a lot of scratch to offer a guy with his injury history. They may not offer it to him. In that case, he would become an unrestricted FA I believe -- we can then come in and make an offer. I'd expect there to be some competition for his services. Hypothetically it gets that far -- how far would you go to get him? How much?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I wouldn't mind Aaron Gray. He's seven feet tall, relatively young. Not sure he want to sign for one yr however, but I think it's doable. He'd see a lot of open looks due to the attention Melo and Amare recieve.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
I wouldn't mind Aaron Gray. He's seven feet tall, relatively young. Not sure he want to sign for one yr however, but I think it's doable. He'd see a lot of open looks due to the attention Melo and Amare recieve.

+1. Big body down low
With our slower pace and halfcourt type offense, he has a chance to fluorish

Sage

Rotation player
Former no 1 draft pick, scouted by Michael Jordan himself. Sounds good*...

*yes that was all sarcasm..

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Seriously....not pursuing the best center available in the hopes of getting another max? Let's waste another year of Amar'e's knees for flash and money.

Wargames

Starter
Hey I just had a thought maybe the Knicks will get lucky and be able to get a better than average center for cheap if one is bought out of their deal by a team via amnesty. That way they would get there money and be able to play for a team that is a contender for cheap. I'm thinking of players like Haywood, Kaman or Camby. Of the group Haywood would be the best just because he wouldn't need a payday for 5 years. That would give the Knicks more than enough time to draft/train his replacement.

Honestly this lock out besides sucking from a No basketball standpoint might make the Knicks a lot more powerful as a team if you add in well paid cut players from a Amnesty clause and all of the 2012 free agents.

finestrg

Rotation player
The two guys I'd like to see us target at this point are Marcus Cousin, if he's cut by the Rockets, or Dwayne Jones. Gimme either guy and I'd be happy. Of course, we already could've had Cousin last year before the Rockets picked him up and showed no interest despite the huge need for a big/legit 5. Then we go out and pay $750,000 to grab a guy in the 2nd round with not even half his skills..Go figure..:shrug:

mafra

Legend
I would trade Turiaf, Balkman & Walker to Indiana for two big with expiring contracts (Jeff Foster & Josh McRoberts). Indiana has Hibbert and wants to pursue David West... This allows them to free up some cap space.

We would then keep McRoberts. He is big, can shoot the 3, has a nice touch and rebounds.

Foster gives us the toughness we lose when we deal Turiaf. We could also release him and sign Kwame Brown if that is an option.

I would then try to sign Troy Murphy on a 1 yr-deal.

McRoberts & Murphy along with either Foster or Brown would be my choice. If we cannot snag Murphy or Brown, then just bring back Kurt Thomas!