Why Felton/Amare Could be Better Than Nash/Amare

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Let me first preface my opinion by stating that they are clearly not there YET. That said, I see the potential for Felton and Amare to be better than Nash and Amare and here is why:

Amare is now just entering his prime and this point cannot be overstated. Amare is in top form, healthy and has years of experience playing with Nash and playing in the playoffs against elite teams to draw from. He is battled tested and hardened like Japanese steel. Amare has added a consistent jumpshot to his game which compliments his strength and speed because defenders have to defend him on the wings now giving him the opportunity to blow past them. He has matured into a leader and is thriving under the lights and pressure of NYC.

Felton has the raw materials to be better than Nash in almost every way. He is stronger, bigger, faster, better scorer and more athletic than Nash. These attributes may allow Felton to out due the savvy and IQ Nash possesses. Felton is no dummy either as he has displayed tremendous bball IQ and savvy as well, all though a notch or two below Nash. Felton too is entering his prime and is poised to have many years playing along Amare in D'ants system.

My prediction is that Felton's strength, speed, scoring and athleticism make him more of a threat to contain than Nash therefore will open up more scoring opportunities for Amare. His passing and IQ are a below that of Nash and he may never reach that caliber in those departments but his overall game and the fact that both Amare and Felton are entering their prime together leads me to predict they will be the superior tandem. Thoughts?

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Well I can't say that Felton will ever be Nash. But with that said I believe that Nash did not help Amar'e as much as people thought. Even without Felton he can be effective and has proven he does not need a dance partner to be effective.

Feltons however is just a completely different player so the comparison is a little moot. Felton is a more physical rugged guard then Nash is. Felton plays decent defense, gets a few steals and is very difficult to exploit in the post. In that respect you can already say Felton is a far more complete player to begin with.

Offensively is another story, Nash's passing ability is also matched by his ability to get a shot whenever he wants and his superior range. Coupled together you have to make a choice stay home with cutters and spot up shooters or let Nash go off. Felton is similar in this regard but not quite as gifted offensively, he will get better tho.

In terms of Leadership and Toughness they are tied. Nash manged to still play with one eye an Felton played a double overtime game with a stomach virus both were effective.

While many would laugh at this comparison now, nobody is laughing at the argument that Felton is in the early running for the All-Star Game or that he is our second best player. Right now its still a little early to really make an argument either way tho.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Nash is a far better shooter than Felton is and he's a much better passer.

But what Felton lacks on the offensive end he makes up for on the defensive end...Nash can't defend worth crap, whereas Felton is strong and can hang with the best of them...and he can also force steals and turnovers too, something Nash has no chance in hell of doing.

To be honest when it comes to Felton and Amar'e I've been just as impressed if not more so with their defensive contributions than I have been their offensive ones.

kukoc7

Benchwarmer
Felton-Stat is better than Nash-Stat.... only for Stat.
Felton is miles far away from Nash and this is why Stat value stands up.
I recognize Felton is playing well and it has real good statitics, but please, we're talking about a PG and the IQ is something fundamental in terms of choice during the match, and Felton isn't comparable to Nash.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah but you wonder if Felton's ability on defense makes up for Nash's better offense. Nash is TERRIBLE on defense and Felton is pretty good. Felton is a two-way player, Nash is as close to a one-way player as you can get.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
The main advantage Nash has over Felton is his shooting. Nash is quite honestly one of the best pure shooters in the NBA. However, physically, Felton is bigger, stronger, and faster than Nash. Also, Felton is easily a better one on one defender.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah Nash's shooting is really underrated. I think he might be both the best passer/floor general AND the best shooter in the league.

Of course, his big weakness is that despite being an offensive juggernaut and one of the most versatile and productive players in the league on offense, his defense is extremely suspect and is probably one of the main reasons the Suns don't make it past teams such as the Spurs in the middle of the decade...

kukoc7

Benchwarmer
Of course, his big weakness is that despite being an offensive juggernaut and one of the most versatile and productive players in the league on offense, his defense is extremely suspect and is probably one of the main reasons the Suns don't make it past teams such as the Spurs in the middle of the decade...

I think the main reason was Parker-Ginobili-Duncan...

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
No one is doubting Nash's prowess but lets remember where Nash was at the same point of his career Felton is at now. Nash was a mediocre to above average PG until he came to the Suns and the same can be said about Felton before coming to the Knicks. The difference is that Felton is younger than Nash at that pivotal point in both of their careers and has the potential to grow and play many more years of his prime in this system.

kukoc7

Benchwarmer
No one is doubting Nash's prowess but lets remember where Nash was at the same point of his career Felton is at now. Nash was a mediocre to above average PG until he came to the Suns and the same can be said about Felton before coming to the Knicks. The difference is that Felton is younger than Nash and has the potential to grow and paly many more years of his prime in this system.

Ok, this is true and we don't know what will happen.
But let me say that I have some doubt about Felton IQ in terms of "big decisions".
Nash can win a match himself (right thing at the right moment). At the moment I don't see this attitude in Felton. I hope I'm wrong. :)

kukoc7

Benchwarmer
Of course. But Nash's lack of defense certainly didn't help things against Parker, did it?

For sure not.
But let me say, when I see Nash playing it's so pleasant that I forgive him the defensive lack.
He is no athletics, no physics, but when he has the ball in the hands something "magic" happens...

tiger0330

Legend
Don't see it. Nash is a 2 time MVP, his shot, passing and handle opened up that whole PnR game with Amare. Felton and Amare will never have it down as well as Nash/Amare. Doesn't mean we can't be a great team with Felton doing his thing and Amare doing his though.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Don't see it. Nash is a 2 time MVP, his shot, passing and handle opened up that whole PnR game with Amare. Felton and Amare will never have it down as well as Nash/Amare. Doesn't mean we can't be a great team with Felton doing his thing and Amare doing his though.

I'm not saying they will play the same way or that Felton will be as good as Nash. If I were asserting that I would not have made mention to how Amare has gotten better or how Felton has other attributes that are better than Nash.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
word Trill, Nash was the better PG no question easily a better passer and more IQ but Felton is a good passer in his own right, as well as a better scorer, and way better defender. he's just as effective i think this Duo of STAT-Felton is playing like the best in the NBA right now. flawless play from the 2 of them.

la2ny

Starter
ill say this, felton can be more of a offensive threat than nash and stat seems like more of a beast so good thread.