SI: Marbury Most Overrated Player

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Heading into this season, most right-thinking individuals didn't think much of Stephon Marbury as a franchise talent. His inability to impact a game in a positive fashion without having to dominate the ball has frustrated the life out of the four franchises (and the nine coaches) that he's played with during his nine-year career. But the fact that Marbury thinks he is the league's best point guard, his boss Isiah Thomas agrees with him and that he is resolute enough in his beliefs to announce it to the media is enough for us: Stephon Marbury is the most overrated player in the NBA.

more bash

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
lots of players think they are the best at their position in the nba. probably 90% of players in the nba think that they are better than they really are. maybe some say it outloud and some don't. im sure marbury isnt the only guy who thinks hes the best pg in the league. thats doesnt make him overrated, maybe just a little blunt and outspoken. and actually, i think its a little healthy to be confident about your own game. hes not overrated, i rarely ever see the media giving him love. nash and kidd seem to get the most love at the pg position. so if anything, maybe we should be asking if nash is overrated. because i, for one, definetely do think he is. marbury is the best scoring pg and one of the best pg's in the league. he's not a top 10 player in the nba, and i dont think anybody says that he is.

NYKnicks15

Starter
Overrated? that statement is :flush: .....I believe the definition of overrated is "To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly"....but last time I checked every reporter and there mother under estimates and disses that of Stephon Marbury. The teams get better when he leaves etc etc (but that statement is the most unbacked overrated! statement I always hear)....point being no one gives Stephon his props. And your correct A Knick Fan...100%. I guarantee you everyone in the sport thinks they are the best and rightfully so thats the way you have to think. If you have NO confidence alla Tim Thomas look where that gets you. (Im sure TT has confidence im just ranting and raving)

ANYWAY...Marbury is the only one with the balls enough to say it, and that makes him a bad person??? NO...Kidd doesnt say it and hes a god and a great person??? (great person? I could take a cheap shot at the incident w/ him and his wife here but i wont)...look where his team tho is with out surrounding players, the same as Marburys past three teams and current and for the same reason, they are not the stars of there team they should be the #2 or #3 player to be successful and neither has that....

For someone (SM) who averages 20 ppg and 8 assists per game thats a pretty bold statement (overrated)....once again im not a marbury cult starter nor did i drink his kool-aid, but come on people!!!

Overrated is Erik Dampier last year. Or Eddy Curry when he first came in "the savior of the bulls". Or Wally Szczerbiak Or Nick Van Exel when he first came in the same with Christian Laettner.....but my opinion of THE MOST OVERRATED PLAYER this season is...Utah's Carlos Boozer hands down. Everyone made a big deal about him last year. Everyone made a big deal about him going to Utah. Everyone made a big deal about Utah being a contender in the West....where are they now? MOP award goes to CARLOS BOOZER....anyone agree?

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
in terms of efficiency ranking, boozer is #27. i guess he is overrated, but im not sure what people think of him exactly.

but this is an interesting topic, because i think to be called overrated, you have to be at least a pretty good player. nobody will ever call a scrub on a no name team overrated. i dont think many other teams felt boozer deserved a max. contract. the problem is, utah has trouble attracting free agents, and they HAD to overpay to get him. he's a pretty good player, averaging 17 and 9. if sweetney ever gets to be like that kind of player (they are around the same height and weight (sweetney is 10 pounds heavier)), the new york media might hype him up so much that maybe he will be overrated. and who knows, maybe isiah will be suckered into giving him a max contract.

i personally dont care if a player is overrated or underrated, i care about what his actual production on the court is and judge him by that.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
yeah eric dampier is def. overrated. nazr mohammad has put up similar or better numbers this season, and dampier has gotten much more credit or respect than mohammad.

WiL8000

Rotation player
I agree with you guys. An example of an overrated player, Darko was overrated in the draft last season, still may have potential, but this guy was picked over Melo. Overrated I define as a player who has high expectations from the fans and media in terms of performance and never reaches that. Marbury is playing better as his career goes on, no doubt. The woes of the Knicks can't be placed on his shoulders soley. Who is Marbury an overrated player to? Maybe the Knicks were overrated going into the season, expected to be on top of their weak division, I could see that as viable.

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
for someone who has led the nba in all star voting, i think yao ming is overrated. this guy seems like he'll never be the dominant player that he should be with his size, just a harmless 18/9 guy. how does somebody who is 7'5 get less than 2 blocks a game??? maybe he wont be another shawn bradley, but i dunno, he seems to lack that fire and passion to be much better than him. how does he only get 8.5 boards a game??? thats just pathetic.

Trin_Starr

Starter
I hear what ur saying knick fan - his nonchalent nature drives me up a wall.

I was watching a rockets game on TNT and they were talking about the same thing - why is it for a guy who is 7'5 - he grabs so little rebounds - and then Doug Collins pointed it out that if u look at Yao Ming, his arm's length is madd short - so while he has the height vertically, he can't really cover much of a lateral distance to grab the rebounds.

And about the leading vote getter in the All star game - tht's what happens when the whole of China votes for u! lol

dacash

Benchwarmer
marbury is not overrated,he is the only option on the team.when the team was healthy and on top of the division everybody was saying best season yet.now that things are going bad,never mind the fact that he still produces,he is da star of the team so its his fault.but look in minnisota is itr garnett's fault for not carrying the team on his back and winning the games they lost getting the coach fired;nope its everyone elses,same with patrick because he is not the media friendly guy the new york media wants he will continually get trashed.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
this is no suprise. Sports writers always have a way to shit on new york, and rarely have a time to say something good. Marbury isnt overrated, we just had high expectations, he is performing at level hes been at for years. maybe he doesnt dunnk too often any more, but he is still a perenial player who can take over a game at will. keep it up steph

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
Marbury isn't overrated, he just has the tag of a 'loser' as he has never led a successful team and after he leaves a club they seem to improve greatly.

Peach_NYK_21

Starter
DownUnderKnick3 said:
Marbury isn't overrated, he just has the tag of a 'loser' as he has never led a successful team and after he leaves a club they seem to improve greatly.

so hes basically everything worse than overrated ;)

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
Peach_NYK_21 said:
DownUnderKnick3 said:

so hes basically everything worse than overrated ;)

Haha yeah not exactly the point i was trying to make :lol:

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
the only person that marbury is overrated by in my book is the one and only, isiah thomas. besides that idiot of a gm, i dont think anybody else overrates him. well, and maybe the people whole actually listen to isiah and believe what he says (and i guess there's a whole bunch of people that still do).

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
a knick fan said:
the only person that marbury is overrated by in my book is the one and only, isiah thomas. besides that idiot of a gm, i dont think anybody else overrates him. well, and maybe the people whole actually listen to isiah and believe what he says (and i guess there's a whole bunch of people that still do).

Isiah doesn't have to talk it seems for people to beleive him, all he has to do is smile.