PLAN-B: Joe Johnson, Amar'e, D-Lee !!!

mafra

Legend
Make it happen!

Obviously, Lebron James and Chris Bosh are plan-A. When the clock strikes midnight on July 1st, I would pursue Bosh with everything I had. I would make him target #1. If we signed Bosh, we would become the favorites to land Lebron. Make BOSH feel like the king, appeal to his ego, convince him to sign quickly (doing so would attract LJ) and see what happens.

BUT, I would give this 48 hours to a week. I would send D'ant and Walsh to the meeting with Lebron, but then leave it at that. Begging wont help and it demeans us. By July 2nd, I'm putting calls to JJ, Lee and Amar'e and planting a seed.... I ask for a visit from JJ & Amar'e, at the same time, and sell them the idea together.... and I bring Lee in as well. I do this next Sat. I float the idea out there, and to be honest, whatever duo (James-Bosh) or trio (JJ, Amar'e, Lee) signs up first gets the blue ribbon!

Personally, I think plan-B should be Joe Johnson, Amar'e and David Lee.

If the Knicks have room to sign TWO max contracts, then why not sell the idea of winning to this trio (hoping they could all share the same pie).

If James-Bosh go to CHI, that means both will leave money on the table to play on a winning team. You have to fight might with might. SO, we can say to both Amare and JJ that we could offer them each the max contract, but that leaves little room to do much else. Sell them the notion that if we win then there will be tons of money out there for them to recoup off the court.

HOWEVER, if they settle for less than the max, then we might be able to squeeze Lee in under the cap as well... giving the team the talent it needs to compete in the Eastern Conference....

This could work. We could split up the free agent pie amongst these 3, telling Lee and JJ that they'll get less this year, but a bump next year when we can split Curry's 10 mill between the two.

If we have about 32 mil.... Just do the math. 14 to Amar'e, 9 mil to Lee and JJ each.

If push comes to shove, I actually tell JJ-Amar'e that unless they abide by these terms, then it makes little sense for us to extend them an offer at all!

Explain to JJ that this must be if he wants to be in NY, and to Amar'e-Lee that taking a few mil less helps them b/c it means they get a PG to run the system in JJ.

I doubt it works, but I think this would be a pretty decent concillation prize.

Johnson
Chandler
Gallo
Lee
Amare

Walker, Douglas, Curry, Barron on the bench (with the rookies), and possibly a MLE vet.

It may not be better than CHI or ORL, but it's certainly in the top-4.... And who knows what happens in a given 2 weeks when we collide with CHI-ORL in the playoffs.

JJ is running out of options (If CHI signs Bosh-LJ); and Amar'e, like JJ, might like a reunion with their former coach. Lee comes from money, so an offer in the 9 mil range will keep him in NYC.

Even if we get 2 of these guys, then we should be competitive. Getting all 3 though would make us players again!

Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter
Why not just force Lee and JJ to take less money and then sign Lebron.

Unfortunately, this just won't happen.

Tell them that if they "don't abide by these terms" we won't send them an offer at all? Man, I think Walsh would inadvertently get spit in his face when they started laughing.

Lee isn't going to take some generous hometown discount. Especially since we've treated him like a 2nd class citizen, in all likelihood.

Plus, Johnson and Amare are prolly the 2 most dangerous contracts floating around between their age, injury background, flameout potential, and ego.

I'd still instantly sign up on your plan if it could get done, though, since it's the best we could do and trumps any 2FA combo.

Lee/Gay/Tyrus is a pretty strong trio though in it's own right, with a ton of upside.

IMO, planB (hopefully) is something like

Collison-Douglas
Gay-Walker
Gallo-Chandler
Lee-Tyrus
Okefor-Jordan

And this is who we'll go to war with for a while. We'd basically need our entire roster to develop well in order to seriously contend, but it's not too far fetched.

I also seriously doubt Walsh's ability to trade Curry without us giving up beyond-market value, and even just to get the deal done in first place, but whatever.

mafra

Legend
I hear what you're saying. Agree with most of it. Johnson was/is a no-show come playoff time, and Amar'e is a huge gamble. He's 28, right? But, like you said, if we can get the trio to sign on then I would feel the risk was worth taking.

I fear their plan-B is to simply extend max offers to JJ and Amar'e.... gulp! Sure, we'll be exciting to watch but we'll be ousted in the 2nd round most years.

POOR MIKE D'ANTONI. Had he signed on with CHI, he would be in a position to run the greatest show on Earth (Rose, Deng, LJ, Bosh, Noah). Oh well for him.

I, too, would love Tyrus Thomas.... but CHA already mae their qualifying offer. 6 mil I believe. We would have to give him 8-9 million to get him.

I do think we could trade Curry for Okefor-Collison. That would be a nice fallback. Resign David Lee. Sign Joe Johnson or Amar'e.

I would also LOVE to trade for Al Jefferson. Not sure how though.

To me, the biggest sting in swigning-n-missing on LJ, is the fact we dealt Hill plus a 1st rounder just to dump one year of Jeffries (of whom we probably could have dealt anyway this Summer).

I think POR (with Bayliss, Rudy Fernandez & Ryan Gomes) and MEM (Conley) are trade options.... I also think we might sign Shaun Livingston or R-Felton.

jpz17

Starter
Make it happen!

Obviously, Lebron James and Chris Bosh are plan-A. When the clock strikes midnight on July 1st, I would pursue Bosh with everything I had. I would make him target #1. If we signed Bosh, we would become the favorites to land Lebron. Make BOSH feel like the king, appeal to his ego, convince him to sign quickly (doing so would attract LJ) and see what happens.

BUT, I would give this 48 hours to a week. I would send D'ant and Walsh to the meeting with Lebron, but then leave it at that. Begging wont help and it demeans us. By July 2nd, I'm putting calls to JJ, Lee and Amar'e and planting a seed.... I ask for a visit from JJ & Amar'e, at the same time, and sell them the idea together.... and I bring Lee in as well. I do this next Sat. I float the idea out there, and to be honest, whatever duo (James-Bosh) or trio (JJ, Amar'e, Lee) signs up first gets the blue ribbon!

If the Knicks have room to sign TWO max contracts, then why not sell the idea of winning to this trio (hoping they could all share the same pie).

If James-Bosh go to CHI, that means both will leave money on the table to play on a winning team. You have to fight might with might. SO, we can say to both Amare and JJ that we could offer them each the max contract, but that leaves little room to do much else. Sell them the notion that if we win then there will be tons of money out there for them to recoup off the court.

HOWEVER, if they settle for less than the max, then we might be able to squeeze Lee in under the cap as well... giving the team the talent it needs to compete in the Eastern Conference....

This could work. We could split up the free agent pie amongst these 3, telling Lee and JJ that they'll get less this year, but a bump next year when we can split Curry's 10 mill between the two.

If we have about 32 mil.... Just do the math. 14 to Amar'e, 9 mil to Lee and JJ each.

If push comes to shove, I actually tell JJ-Amar'e that unless they abide by these terms, then it makes little sense for us to extend them an offer at all!

Explain to JJ that this must be if he wants to be in NY, and to Amar'e-Lee that taking a few mil less helps them b/c it means they get a PG to run the system in JJ.

I doubt it works, but I think this would be a pretty decent concillation prize.

Johnson
Chandler
Gallo
Lee
Amare

Walker, Douglas, Curry, Barron on the bench (with the rookies), and possibly a MLE vet.

It may not be better than CHI or ORL, but it's certainly in the top-4.... And who knows what happens in a given 2 weeks when we collide with CHI-ORL in the playoffs.

JJ is running out of options (If CHI signs Bosh-LJ); and Amar'e, like JJ, might like a reunion with their former coach. Lee comes from money, so an offer in the 9 mil range will keep him in NYC.

Even if we get 2 of these guys, then we should be competitive. Getting all 3 though would make us players again!

If possible, that is 55-60 wins in a season

milchshake

Benchwarmer
Sekou Smith was writing about it month ago, that could be even better than lebron and bosh, amare and joe duo played before for mike, so they naturally fit to his system. And they are not acting like a stars :) They could fulfil our expactations and dream about PO run will come thrue in next season ;)

Xeneise

Rookie
34.5 million, which about what the Knicks will have, is NOT enough to sign all three of them. A max contract for all but Joe Johnson starts at 16.5. For Johnson it's about 18 millon.

Amare - 13-16.5 million per year.
Joe Johnson -13-17 million per year.
David Lee is - 10-13 million per year.

That's 36-46.5 million, and way more than we have. We don't have the cap space to sign all three of them.

No way JJ gets less than 10 million, and with all the teams with cap space I would not be surprised if Amare got near a max deal.

Also, we do NOT have the MLE this year because we will be well under the cap at the start of FA and you have to be eligible at the start of FA for the MLE to be awarded it. You can't sign players and then use it.

Red

TYPE-A
Make it happen!

Obviously, Lebron James and Chris Bosh are plan-A.

That could quite possibly be...

the most expensive, WORST defensive team in the league.

Plan A= LBJ & Bosh +

Plan A2= LBJ & Wade +

Plan A3= LBJ & Amare +

Plan A4= Bosh & Wade +

Plan A5= Bosh & Amare +

Plan A6= Wade & Amare +

I don't see Joe Johnson anywhere... although I guess we could replace Wade or LBJ there at the right price (I just dont want that)

Plan B = (as Walsh said is to stock up on lower level FA's) and hopefully move EC's contract before the deadline for an asset.

10. RUDY GAY, SF
Experience: 4 years | '09-10 Team: Grizzlies
2009-10 Stats: 19.6 pt | 5.9 reb
Status: Restricted free agent ($4.4 million qualifying offer)

The Skinny: Gay was maligned enough by fans and media heading into 2009-10 that his demands for an extension with an average salary greater than $10 million met with guffaws. But it's Gay laughing now, as a much-improved game for a much-improved Grizzlies team has left Rudy in position to get such a contract offer this summer. Memphis can match any offer sheet Gay signs, and the circumstances of restricted free agency will likely make Gay one of the August signings (assuming Memphis doesn't quickly meet his demands). If not Memphis, the Wizards or Clippers seem like appropriate suitors. Minnesota could be a dark horse, likely requiring a sign-and-trade to get something done.

11. DAVID LEE, PF
Experience: 5 years | '09-10 Team: Knicks
2009-10 Stats: 20.2 pt | 11.7 reb

The Skinny: Lee played this game last summer, the most ignored potential 20/10 free agent in recent memory. Skittish teams and New York's restricted free agency handcuffs kept Lee in the Big Apple for another season, with the forward-center eventually signing a fairly fat one-year deal. No such RFA restrictions apply this go-round, and while Lee has seemingly made himself indispensable to the Knicks, the team is trying to swim with bigger fish. Don't count on New York renouncing the rights to Lee until the minute a second big name free agent gets ready to put ink to paper (in other words, the Knicks will maintain its ability to give Lee a six-year deal until the moment they would be forced to renounce him to clear his cap hold, which would be required if the team seeks two max free agents as expected). As such, I could see a lesser free agent suitor targeting Lee from the outset and prying him away from the Knicks before Donnie Walsh and Co. can straighten out their affairs with said bigger fish.

12. JOSH CHILDRESS, SF
Experience: 4 years | '09-10 Team: Olympiakos (Greece)
2007-08 Stats: 11.8 pt | 4.9 reb
Status: Restricted free agent (Hawks; $4.8 million qualifying offer)

The Skinny: Childress hasn't played NBA ball in two years now after fleeing in the False Alarm Foreign Flight of 2008. As troubling stateside finances and an infusion of cash in Eastern Europe heaved the summer into rumors of a mass exodus of America's star players, Childress ended up being the only American-born player of note to take the loot. Chills flirted with a return in 2009, meeting with the Bucks but finding himself unable to secure a deal in a skittish market in time to opt out of his Olympiakos pact. I suspect Childress will at least test NBA waters again this July, perhaps with more success. A rangy, hyper-efficient defender like Chills certainly has a place in the NBA.

13. RAY ALLEN, SG
Experience: 14 years | '09-10 Team: Celtics
2009-10 Stats: 16.3 pt | .363 3P%

The Skinny: Allen is certainly wrapping up his career, now in his mid-30s. The abandonment of his shooting stroke as 2009-10 moves along renders as both shocking and disheartening, given that's really all Allen had left in the first place. Perspective is in order, of course -- Ray hasn't been up to his lofty standard of offensive efficiency, but he's still better than a big portion of two-guards earning major minutes. While Ray can't (and surely doesn't) reasonably expect to top $10 million a season on the market, he can be a big boon for a good team, and you could see the power franchises bid him up a bit. It's unclear whether Boston would be a party to that, given the team's attempts to pawn him off for a younger asset at the trade deadline, and given the speed at which the core is crumbling. Allen could be a great fit with LeBron, wherever he ends up (including Cleveland ... heck, especially Cleveland).

14. LUIS SCOLA, PF
Experience: 3 years | '09-10 Team: Rockets
2009-10 Stats: 16.2 pt | 8.6 reb
Status: Restricted free agent ($4.1 million qualifying offer)

The Skinny: Scola, the world's most robust concoction of craft and mettle (and stubble, as it were), meets the end of his rookie contract at the lovely age of 30, just late enough to prevent a truly outstanding contract but early enough to prevent a dearth of offers. Reason stands that Houston won't allow Scola to get too far away from home -- the team traded capable stand-in Carl Landry for backcourt help at the deadline, and has made public declarations it will thusly keep Scola. But if the Argentine thinks he can get some decent offers in the most wide-open market in ages, you could see him forcing Houston's hand by signing a sheet. Scola could be a sensible option in New Jersey.

15. TYRUS THOMAS, PF
Experience: 4 years | '09-10 Team: Bulls/Bobcats
2009-10 Stats: 9.4 pt | 6.2 reb | 1.6 blk
Status: Restricted free agent ($6.2 million qualifying offer)

The Skinny: Chicago eventually cut ties with Thomas, the feisty forward who never seemed to get along with any coach the Bulls hired. Whether that's the fault of the organization or T.T. remains to be seen. Still just 23, Thomas has long been considered a vastly talented defender. While his offense is worse than inconsistent (it's consistently bad, misshapen), the jaw-dropping righting of the U.S.S. Josh Smith ought to get T.T. plenty of attention this summer, assuming the Bobcats don't lock him up quickly.

16. JOHN SALMONS, SG
Experience: 8 years | '09-10 Team: Bulls/Bucks
2009-10 Stats: 15.4 pt | .382 3P%
Status: 2010-11 player option for $5.8 million; unrestricted free agent if option is declined

The Skinny: Salmons has vacillated between vital and superfluous for years now. In Sacramento, he was good enough to be the team's best player through Kevin Martin's torturous 2008-09, but just old enough to be disposable, sent off to Chicago with albatross Brad Miller. In Chicago, it ended up the same: Salmons was key in the playoff run of '08-09, but a wasted rotation spot the following year. In Milwaukee, he's been a world-beater. No doubt the Bucks would appreciate Salmons taking that $5.8 million -- it's difficult to imagine Milwaukee handing out a long-term deal if Johnny opts out. But the market may be too hungry for Salmons to ignore.

17. BRENDAN HAYWOOD, C
Experience: 9 years | '09-10 Team: Wizards/Mavericks
2009-10 Stats: 9.1 pt | 9.3 reb | 2.1 blk

The Skinny: Haywood went to Dallas at midseason, considered by many the more important half of the pair of starters Wizards pawned off the Mavericks. It's unclear whether the Mavs agree -- Mark Cuban told reporters after the deadline he would have made the trade without Haywood included. Haywood is a defensive-minded big man, a decent rebounder and good shotblocker who knows his role on offense and sticks to it. At age 30, he can't expect a massive contract, but he should draw plenty of interest among contenders.

18. SHAQUILLE O'NEAL, C
Experience: 18 years | '09-10 Team: Cavaliers
2009-10 Stats: 12 pt | 6.7 reb

The Skinny: Removed from the magical pools of forever young Phoenix, Shaq has slipped on the court in Cleveland. But considering the Suns saw him at legit All-Star status, O'Neal is still a decent player, even at age 38, with the odometer threatening to quit. Shaq has said he'd like to play a couple more seasons, and as one of the most recognizable athletes in the world he'll get interest. And why not? He's still a frequent scorer (18 points per 36 minutes) and a strong rebounder. Who cares if his pick-and-roll defense looks like a penguin mating dance and his famously awful free throw stroke has devolved further? It's Shaq!

19. RAYMOND FELTON, PG
Experience: 5 years | '09-10 Team: Bobcats
2009-10 Stats: 12.1 pt | 5.6 ast

The Skinny: Felton took a one-year flyer with the Bobcats to get to unrestricted free agency, and it hasn't exactly come out aces. Felton's minutes are down, and while his per-minute performance remains (remarkably) consistent, his stock has suffered. Is Felton a legit starting point guard in most cities? It's hard to decide. He's really consistent, a good passer and a decent defender. The type of point guard you'd want on a team with a ballhog supernova at the two or three. But it's hard for top-5 picks in their mid-20s to accede to such a definition (few dream of being the next Derek Fisher), and I imagine some team will fall in love with the pedigree, ignoring the data just enough to give Felton the keys. As long as the price isn't too outrageous, it could be a decent move.

20. RONNIE BREWER, SG
Experience: 4 years | '09-10 Team: Jazz/Grizzlies
2009-10 Stats: 8.8 pt | 1.6 stl
Status: Restricted free agent ($3.8 million qualifying offer)

The Skinny: Brewer never made a huge splash as a scorer with Utah, but he did make a name for himself as one of the top perimeter defenders in the league. That's the scouting report he'll tout in a free agent market heavy on scorers. Brewer is also near the top of the list in steal rate (percentage of opponent possessions in which Brewer gets a steal), finishing second in 2007-08 and seventh in 2008-09. He's also quite efficient from the floor with his infrequent shots, and a decent rebounder at the two (but bad for a small forward).

21. J.J. REDICK, SG
Experience: 4 years | '09-10 Team: Magic
2009-10 Stats: 9.6 pt | .405 3P%
Status: Restricted free agent ($3.9 million qualifying offer)

The Skinny: No longer a punchline, Redick's role as a bench (and sometimes starting) scorer continued to grow in 2009-10. More than half Redick's shots come from long-range, but defenses still aren't able to figure out how to stop him. His defense continues to be a problem (size), and he's a minus rebounder at shooting guard. Since he'll never be anything but a two-guard, that's a continual issue. But teams looking for an under-control Nate Robinson might be looking Redick's way if Orlando doesn't lock him up quickly.

22. UDONIS HASLEM, PF
Experience: 7 years | '09-10 Team: Heat
2009-10 Stats: 9.9 pt | 8.1 reb

The Skinny: Haslem is a Shane Battier All-Star -- little in the way of stats, but a big impact on games. Udonis is undersized at the power forward position but a plus defender (Dirk remembers '06) and a good rebounder. He plays under control and unselfishly on offense, and he's considered a good leader in the locker room. His minutes have been pinched by the drafting of Michael Beasley, and his effectiveness perhaps limited by the odd big man rotation in Miami. But he's got plenty of basketball left, and he could really help a team on the upswing.

23. RICHARD JEFFERSON, SF
Experience: 9 years | '09-10 Team: Spurs
2009-10 Stats: 12.3 pt | 4.4 reb
Status: 2010-11 player option for $15.2 million; unrestricted free agent if option is declined

The Skinny: Jefferson is a surprise entrant in the "get it while you can" CBA-related free agency push. Jefferson told FanHouse's Chris Tomasson he's considered opting out around midseason, just as his Spurs started to get hot. Of course, the Spurs might very well be relieved if Jefferson leaves his $15.2 million on the table -- they surely wouldn't pay him that, nor would any other team. Despite his increasing reliance on finesse instead of athleticism, on the right team Jefferson can be an effective scorer and in the past he's been a solid defender.

24. TRAVIS OUTLAW, SF
Experience: 7 years | '09-10 Team: Blazers/Clippers
2009-10 Stats: 9.1 pt | .381 3P%

The Skinny: Outlaw, who went to L.A. in the Camby deal, made enough true believers in the 2007-08 and 2008-09 (13/4 in limited minutes each season) to survive an iffy 2009-10 campaign. Better yet, he's young and suitable as a sixth man. After LeBron and Gay, this is free agent market light on young small forwards. With shooting range and athletic defense always at a premium, Outlaw really is a name to watch. If he doesn't stick in L.A., there should be a job in Minnesota waiting for him.

25. NATE ROBINSON, PG
Experience: 5 years | '09-10 Team: Knicks/Celtics
2009-10 Stats: 10.1 pt | .390 3P%

The Skinny: KryptoNate found himself in Mike D'Antoni's doghouse early in the season before breaking out and eventually getting himself traded to Boston. So far, he's had only a minor impact, playing few minutes and scoring few points. Since scoring is just about all N8 the Gr8 does, that's a problem. No NBA team can get away with starting him because of his size and lack of passing acumen, but in the right system he can be a great bench scorer. The market largely ignored Robinson in 2009, but there should be enough money out there to get Robinson a decent multi-year deal.

26. AL HARRINGTON, PF
Experience: 12 years | '09-10 Team: Knicks
2009-10 Stats: 17.7 pt | 5.6 reb

The Skinny: Harrington has become a full-time bench player under Mike D'Antoni for the first time since the end of his premier stint as a Pacer. Harrington's been around longer than you think -- if the game's faster in Golden State, perhaps the effect is such that time moves more quickly too. He's played more than 23,000 minutes already, and this season will completely his eighth consecutive campaign of at least 2,000 minutes played. His three-point shooting hovers around league average, his rebounding akin to that of a small forward (not a power forward). Teams in need of a frontcourt shot creator to come off the bench will take a look at Harrington, but not at nearly the salary he has been accustomed to earning.

27. ZYDRUNAS ILGAUSKAS, C
Experience: 13 years | '09-10 Team: Cavaliers
2009-10 Stats: 7.4 pt | 5.4 reb

The Skinny: Ilgauskas suffered more than anyone because of Cleveland's acquisition of Shaq, dropping from 27 minutes a game in 2008-09 to just over 20 minutes in 2009-10. His shots always dropped, from 14 per 36 minutes to 11. But much of this adjustment was due to a role change, not age. Big Z remains a good rebounder and solid defender, despite his lack of agility. The interest shown by several contenders upon Ilgauskas's brief midseason free agency should match the market this summer.

28. MIKE MILLER, SG
Experience: 10 years | '09-10 Team: Wizards
2009-10 Stats: 10.9 pt | 6.2 reb | 3.9 ast

The Skinny: Miller changed his game completely in Minnesota in 2008-09. Most agree the change was for the worse: MiMi effectively stopped shooting, turning himself into a facilitating wing. The problem? Miller is one of his generation's best shooters, a career 40-percenter from three. His team needs him to shoot, shoot, shoot. Miller didn't revert to form in Washington, though; in fact, he got worst, shooting threes at a frequency lower than any other season in his NBA career. It's inexplicable, and a huge red flag for any team looking to sign Miller this summer.

29. MATT BARNES, SF
Experience: 7 years | '09-10 Team: Magic
2009-10 Stats: 8.8 pt | 5.5 reb
Status: 2010-11 player option for $1.6 million; unrestricted free agent if option is declined

The Skinny: Barnes has now proven himself an NBA player thrice, in Golden State as one of the cogs of We Believe!, in Phoenix as a rangy gunner and now in Orlando as a ... well, rangy gunner with a tough streak. After getting shut out on a mediocre Sixers team and getting cut by the awful Knicks a few years back, it's a brilliant little resurgence. Barnes has been a near full-time starter for Stan Van Gundy; given Barnes's below-average three-point efficiency this season, I suppose that means SVG thinks the dude plays solid defense. He's certainly one of the best rebounders at the small forward in the league, and he has a real mean streak. Teams fall in love with tough dudes from playoff teams, so Barnes should capitalize this summer, even at age 30.

30. JOSH HOWARD, SF
Experience: 7 years | '09-10 Team: Mavericks/Wizards
2009-10 Stats: 12.7 pt | 3.6 reb
Status: 2010-11 team option for $11.8 million; unrestricted free agent if option is declined

The Skinny: Howard had a slow death in Dallas, losing favor with former coach Avery Johnson back in 2007 before eventually becoming the franchise's least reliable rotation player under Rick Carlisle. Howard had trouble staying on the floor before his trade to Washington, upon which he tore an ACL four games in. Howard's days as a lockdown defender appear to be over, and as he was always a fairly inefficient scorer he won't be much of big name this summer. Expect him to land a deal at or below the mid-level exception, or just over $5 million.

31. JORDAN FARMAR, PG
Experience: 4 years | '09-10 Team: Lakers
2009-10 Stats: 7.2 pt | .376 3P%
Status: Restricted free agent ($2.8 million qualifying offer)

The Skinny: Farmar bounced back from his painful third season ... but not all the way to the level expected based on his first two seasons in L.A. In total, Farmar has been a disappointment, having been given every opportunity to be the Lakers' point guard of the future over the past four seasons, and having never won the role. As it is, the Lakers could very well be looking for a new point guard in free agency a la 2009's Ron Artest acquisition. As a restricted free agent, Farmar might not be able to secure anything richer than his small qualifying offer, and as such could stick around L.A. one more year and enter unrestricted free agency in 2011.

32. JERMAINE O'NEAL, C
Experience: 14 years | '09-10 Team: Heat
2009-10 Stats: 13.6 pt | 6.9 reb

The Skinny: O'Neal, long sighed upon due to a slipping game and a rising salary, had a decent bounceback season for Miami, scoring more efficiently than ever before, thanks no doubt to a smaller offensive role than ever before. Miami really provided a blueprint for how teams can effectively utilize O'Neal in the final years of his NBA career: pair him with a high-usage perimeter player and let him focus on defense. J.O. remains one of the league's better interior defenders, but his age and injury history should muzzle his value this summer.

joe johnson should not get a max, we lookin at the future in 2 or 3 years joes best years will be behind him, i say gay or wait till next year

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Beasley?

If we are really out of the running for LeBron, we could make Miami more competitive with Chicago by taking Beasley off their hands. We could probably get him for something like the rights to the kid from Stanford. Yes, Beasley is a head case and has manifested no basketball IQ, but he has some potential if he ever grows up.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks better resign David Lee to a 6 year contract, then sign Boozer/Earl Barron/ Walker/and Alston, within the first week of July.

If the Knicks let amdidextrous David Lee who catch/shoot/pass/and rebound with both hands, walk to the next NBA team, I dont see any of the 2010 top15 FA signing with the Knicks. b/c FA would think Knicks management/coach lost their F..ing minds not making their best player Lee a Keeper. Bosh would LUV to be in a lineup that included David Lee.

I'm tired of reading all the Fantasy Knick-Fans bullshuuut about Lebron, Bosh and D.Wade. For two straight years this has become absurd and ridiculous for so many people to be so stuborn and young-minded spreading the theory of the world being flat.

What has Bosh done in Toronto? injury plaque PG-T.J. Ford leadership did more for the Rapters than Bosh did.

mafra

Legend
34.5 million, which about what the Knicks will have, is NOT enough to sign all three of them. A max contract for all but Joe Johnson starts at 16.5. For Johnson it's about 18 millon.

Amare - 13-16.5 million per year.
Joe Johnson -13-17 million per year.
David Lee is - 10-13 million per year.

That's 36-46.5 million, and way more than we have. We don't have the cap space to sign all three of them.

No way JJ gets less than 10 million, and with all the teams with cap space I would not be surprised if Amare got near a max deal.

Also, we do NOT have the MLE this year because we will be well under the cap at the start of FA and you have to be eligible at the start of FA for the MLE to be awarded it. You can't sign players and then use it.

We could but it would take some creativity. First of all, we could do a sign and trade for Joe Johnson. This would involve Curry's 10 mil contract. This would leave plenty to sign Lee, Amar'e and even another tier-b/c free agent.

It appears Johnson-Amar'e are plan-B. GULP! This worries the heck out of me. This does nothing for me. Sure, we'll win 50 games, but we all know we'llgo NOWHERE come post season. The only way the JJ-AS duo have teeth is if we bring Lee (or another tier-B free agent).

SO, I suggest this route. My biggest fear is we hand max contracts to Johnson and Amar'e. This would be a disaster.