Knicks-McGrady trade talks

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Houston is insane if they think they can get Gallo for McGrady. He has just come off micro-fracture surgery and has played a total of 7 min this season. Forget it. F*ck them.

I don't think we are going to be able to trade Jeffries or Curry. Jeffries is still a maybe but forget about trading Curry. It aint going to happen. If both are not traded, we're f*cked.

Another rumor. Golden State wants Gallo for Anthony Randolph. They can go f*ck themselves too.

More on Tracy McGrady's comeback: Knicks want him

By Chris Sheridan

Tracy McGrady is likely going to end up getting traded at some time in the next seven months -- maybe in a sign-and-trade deal after he becomes a free agent July 1, maybe at the trade deadline in mid-February, or maybe even sooner.

The New York Knicks are hoping it is sooner rather than later, and they have been one of the most persistent pursuers of McGrady over the past several weeks, ESPN.com has learned.

But what is killing the Knicks' chances of landing McGrady, who would be a panacea for them next summer when they plan to be major players on the free agent market, is their insistence that Jared Jeffries be included in any deal with the Rockets.

It has been well chronicled how Jeffries and teammate Eddy Curry are standing in the way of the Knicks' master plan of plans, with their cap-clogging contracts (Jeffries is due to make $6.9 million, and Curry is on the books for $11.3 million) hindering New York's ability to go or come close to going after two max-level free agents next summer. But if they were able to move one of them (and trading Curry is a virtual impossibility) and take back an expiring contract in return, it would allow the Knicks to either go after a second max free agent in a sign-and-trade deal (in which David Lee and Nate Robinson would be the bait), or to have enough cap space left over after signing a max free agent to retain Lee.

As things stand now, the Knicks will have to either engineer a sign-and-trade centered around Lee, Robinson and/or Al Harrington, or renounce their rights to Lee, Robinson, Harrington and Larry Hughes, in order to clear their salary cap holds (the dollar amounts at which they are held against the Knicks' cap) and free enough cap space to sign LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade or another max-level free agent.

If Jeffries and Curry aren't traded for expiring contracts by July 1, there is virtually no way the Knicks can keep Lee or Harrington and still land a max free agent. Lee is viewed as more of a keeper than Harrington, and the Knicks already know they are likely to lose at least one of them and get nothing in return. Hence the flurry of Harrington rumors that surfaced last week, with the Knicks and Bulls reportedly discussing a swap centered around Harrington and Tyrus Thomas.

Harrington, earning $10.02 million, would almost certainly be a part of any proposed trade between the Rockets and Knicks, and New York can also offer the Rockets financial relief by including the expiring contract of Cuttino Mobley (whose $9.5 million salary is being paid by an insurance company) in the deal.

So if you start with Harrington, Jeffries and Mobley, you have about $26 million worth of contracts -- more than enough to satisfy trade rules that require all salaries in any trade between over-the-cap teams be within 125 percent of each other. (McGrady is earning an NBA-high $23.2 million this season, and it was being paid by an insurance company prior to McGrady's comeback Tuesday night.)

But the trio of Harrington, Jeffries and Mobley is not nearly enough to get the Rockets to bite, and one source briefed on the discussions between the teams said the Knicks -- even if they threw $3 million cash into the deal -- do not have enough sweeteners (New York does not own its own 2010 first-round pick, and Houston has no interest in any of the Knicks' young players except Danilo Gallinari, who is the closest thing to an untouchable player as the Knicks have) to get the Rockets interested.

Also, Houston sees the inclusion of Jeffries as a non-starter because his salary would prevent the Rockets having max room to work with in the summer of 2010.

So for now, there is no deal out there that both teams are willing to do. But the Knicks have remained persistent and are expected to continue to be persistent, perhaps by finding a third team willing to take on Jeffries if the Rockets remain adamant that they don't want him.

One source said teams including Portland, Miami and Cleveland were hoping that McGrady's tenure in Houston would end with a buyout, and he would be free to sign with the team of his choice provided he cleared waivers by March 1.

But that source said the Rockets are not at all inclined to go down that road, and a second source insisted that too much should not be read into McGrady's comeback Tuesday night when he logged 7 minutes against the Pistons, saying it was the next logical step in McGrady' comeback from microfracture surgery, and will help establish how much trade value McGrady has heading into the peak of the trading season. One source also cautioned that Rockets owner Les Alexander's fondness for McGrady is a potential complicating factor in any proposed deal, and third source cautioned that there could be gray-area rules complications in trading Mobley, a quasi-retired injured player.

But the bottom line is this: The Rockets are taking calls on McGrady, and the Knicks are one of the teams making them. For now, though, the deal-killer in this equation is New York's insistence on including Jeffries, whose line Tuesday against Charlotte of 11 points, six steals, five rebounds, three assists, two blocks and a 3-pointer -- along with his effective man-to-man defense against Bobcats point guard Raymond Felton -- did nothing to alter the Rockets' opinion of him.

Starks

Starter
I just did this trade on the NBA Trade machine that worked.

Knicks:
McGrady

Rockets:
Eddy Curry
Michael Redd

Bucks:
Jared Jeffries
Darko

Solve's everyone's needs. Saves all teams money and adds to the teams overall needs. Redd has been dangled around the league for past 2 years and will fit better in Houston. The Bucks get Jared to add some much needed versatility and lands Darko to give him a perfect franchise to actually start his NBA career behind Bogut. As for Knicks, we make playoffs and also get rid of the those two albatross contracts

smokes

Huge Member
To be honest, Houston are just taking the piss with this really.

An aged, injured and barely active Tmac for Jefferies + Harrington + Mobleys contract is a VERY fair deal imo... You can guarantee Harrington is gonna be a bigger scorer than tmac this year, and Jefferies has the Houston style of tenacity and hustle on D.

They really are having a laugh.

Giants89FLY

Rotation player
Will any other team even want T-Mac? He's not even a little bit of the player he was a few years ago. They should be happy if we offer them eddy curry at this point... what do they really think they can get for him? Seriously... The knicks would be stupid to deal jeffries to Houston... Some other playoff team would be willing to make a play for jeffries down the stretch... I'd wait... But looking at Donnie's plan we have to rid ourselves of either jeffries, curry or both... So if any trades help us do that... I'm all for it.

smokes

Huge Member
As much as I want to keep Gallo on the team there's an interesting trade I managed to put through on ESPN.

GSW:

Randolph
Ellis

Knicks:

Curry
Gallo
Hill

This trade was successful.

In this trade we would clear 3 million cap space for 2010 and get a future star guard in Ellis. GSW has plenty of guards and Mikki Moore just went down indefinately so Curry could potentially be their back up behind Biedrins.

Something to think about...

GetRealistic

Starter
We got till the trade deadlilne to figure this out. I agree with the previous poster that Mobley, Jefferies, and Harrington for McGrady is a pretty fair trade but we'll see what happens.

The only better deal i could see Houston getting is Jermaine O'niel striaght up for McGrady. No need to rush the deal and i think it's pretty likely to happen eventually.

Jared Jefferies for 1 year 7 million isn't that awful of a contract for Houston to have next season.

milchshake

Benchwarmer
Will any other team even want T-Mac? He's not even a little bit of the player he was a few years ago.

So the reason is not Tmac abilities but Donnie's plan, I really doubt he expect miracle revival... BTW selling Jeffries and Curry ain't so easy like for example Crawford and Randolph last year for cuting off expensive long contracts. It's a sweet dream to sell Curry, who want unpredictable ( action with Rondo ) often injured player ? But Jeffries are getting better and he's quite cheap. Houston want some other players, Nyk don't want long contracts, so why they don't want Jeffries it is fair exchange, they will not be a suckers if they buy players from NY :crossfingers:
I've got one question: McGrady's NBA-high $23.2 million salary was being paid by an insurance company prior to McGrady's comeback so how much Houston has to paid him now ?

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
trading Gallo away now will hurt 100x more in the future then what we did with Ariza... maybe a mil... Walsh and Dantoni would also need 24hr security

p0nder

Starter
I don't think the knicks will trade gallo any time soon.

But it's interesting to watch these rumors fly. The owner in houston is not foolish, he has done a great job there. But he will be asking too much for t-mac and they don't seem interested in taking JJ. We are going to have to look elsewhere to move him. JJ and curry need to play more minutes and put up good numbers and good defense for this to happen.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
As much as I want to keep Gallo on the team there's an interesting trade I managed to put through on ESPN.

GSW:

Randolph
Ellis

Knicks:

Curry
Gallo
Hill

This trade was successful.

In this trade we would clear 3 million cap space for 2010 and get a future star guard in Ellis. GSW has plenty of guards and Mikki Moore just went down indefinately so Curry could potentially be their back up behind Biedrins.

Something to think about...

ill give you this, this deal isnt as mentally retarted as houston thinking we wud even think about giving them gallo for tmac. but this is gallo's city. we cant trade him. id rather keep jeffries and curry while havin gallo, then getting rid of all of them. if we are going to get randolph or augustine, we get them without sacrificing gallo. hill should be a trade asset though, i know the warriors were high on him

Scribbles

Rotation player
In other news, Eddy Curry got so fed up in my 2k10 game that he decided to Opt Out in 2010.

And I traded Jeffries and Chandler for Boone and Alston in NJ.

----------

Rockets are just setting the asking price high, he'll be traded for Planter's peanuts next month...

smokes

Huge Member
ill give you this, this deal isnt as mentally retarted as houston thinking we wud even think about giving them gallo for tmac. but this is gallo's city. we cant trade him. id rather keep jeffries and curry while havin gallo, then getting rid of all of them. if we are going to get randolph or augustine, we get them without sacrificing gallo. hill should be a trade asset though, i know the warriors were high on him

Yeah I kind of agree I'd rather keep Gallo but this could be an interesting trade that has potential for both teams.

The reason I might do it is when I look at projected lineups of the 2010 Knicks with Lebron I can't really see Gallo playing other positions very well, unless he bulks up which would affect other parts of his game. Of course we could have Lebron play almost any position too, but matchup wise a lineup of pg/sg/lbj/gallo/c would leave us with some defensive holes.

A lineup of:

Ellis
Hughes
James
Randolph
Jefferies

Is quite balanced scoring and defensively and Ellis would surely help in our free agent bid. I don't know if I'd pull the trigger on this or not but I'd definitely think hard about it.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Yeah I kind of agree I'd rather keep Gallo but this could be an interesting trade that has potential for both teams.

The reason I might do it is when I look at projected lineups of the 2010 Knicks with Lebron I can't really see Gallo playing other positions very well, unless he bulks up which would affect other parts of his game. Of course we could have Lebron play almost any position too, but matchup wise a lineup of pg/sg/lbj/gallo/c would leave us with some defensive holes.

A lineup of:

Ellis
Hughes
James
Randolph
Jefferies

Is quite balanced scoring and defensively and Ellis would surely help in our free agent bid. I don't know if I'd pull the trigger on this or not but I'd definitely think hard about it.

Ellis is a budding star, agreed, and so is randolph. but i see superstar potential outta gallo. and im not to high on hill, but still itd kinda be hard to give up our last two first round draft picks in one trade. thats just to much value. and it looks like ellis got back in nellie's good eyes. but i really would like to try and make a package centrered around jordan hill for randolph. randolph is better than hill imo, but hopefully the warriors would be to shortsighted to see that. maybe im being shortsignted, for liking gallo this much, but when is the last time that we have a chance at a star through the draft? it just seems like forever since we've had our own home grown star, anotha reason why i dont want to let him go

smokes

Huge Member
Ellis is a budding star, agreed, and so is randolph. but i see superstar potential outta gallo. and im not to high on hill, but still itd kinda be hard to give up our last two first round draft picks in one trade. thats just to much value. and it looks like ellis got back in nellie's good eyes. but i really would like to try and make a package centrered around jordan hill for randolph. randolph is better than hill imo, but hopefully the warriors would be to shortsighted to see that. maybe im being shortsignted, for liking gallo this much, but when is the last time that we have a chance at a star through the draft? it just seems like forever since we've had our own home grown star, anotha reason why i dont want to let him go

Yeah I've seen those flashes from Gallo too but I do still worry about him injury wise if something will recur in the next season or two. If it did it could screw us for years to come. This trade is basically a "safe" trade, we get 2 budding stars for a potential but high risk superstar + potential star forward, although I'm really not sold on Hill at all.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Yeah I've seen those flashes from Gallo too but I do still worry about him injury wise if something will recur in the next season or two. If it did it could screw us for years to come. This trade is basically a "safe" trade, we get 2 budding stars for a potential but high risk superstar + potential star forward, although I'm really not sold on Hill at all.

You really think Ellis and Randolph are going to be stars? I have my reservations...

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
You really think Ellis and Randolph are going to be stars? I have my reservations...

co-sign with smokes on hill, which is why i kinda want to trade him while some ppl might still be fooled to think that he has potential, and i do think anthony randolph can b a star. he was blessed with ridicoulous athletism, and every once in a while he put up that 30 pt 15 reb game tht makes u say "wow". consistency is what he lacks (and is the most important being a star lol) but i really believe that as a knick randolph could be a star ( not better than gallo though)

LJ4ptplay

Starter

A lineup of:

Ellis
Hughes
James
Randolph
Jefferies

Lebron is a PF in D'Antoni's system. Which makes Lee and Harrington expendable.

mafra

Legend
HOU is insane if it thinks T-mac has any value right now. Sort of like when Walsh felt he could trade Starbury (if he even thought that- and at least SM was healthy).

Why would NY give up anything for Tmac? The only reason why we would trade for him is b/c his contract expires. HOWEVER, HOU has some mojo and the team is playing well. Tmac's return will only ruin what they got going. On top of that, the have an elite player in Ming who will be returning next year.

SO.... why would HOU spoil what's happening now to "showcase" Tmac? The owner must really like the guy or the GM is delusional.

On the NYK front.... Let's fact it folks, nobody wants our trash. Al Harrington and possibly Jared Jeffries, Wislon Chandler might be attractive to potential playoff teams. We might be able to lure something out of a GSW or HOU, but only via a 3-way deal.

How sad is it that GSW doesn't even want Jordan Hill.... So much for them considering him. Walsh was like me during a fantasy draft: clock is running out quickly, I have a few dudes in que, I hurry, wind up taking the player I know I do not want and instantly reget the pick. HORRIBLE and disgusting (just like I felt on draft night, when I was chanting "please don't take Hill, anyone but HIll).

As for Curry.... methinkgs the only legitimate shot to rid ourselves of this clown is to have him play this year and then trade him in a sign-&-trade or before the draft as part of swapping expiring contracts.

smokes

Huge Member
Lebron is a PF in D'Antoni's system. Which makes Lee and Harrington expendable.

Well I'd rather keep Lebron away from the PF personally so I didn't have to worry about him banging down low all day on defense with a greater risk of taking knocks.

Really some of the comments on this forum nowadays are just "heard it somewhere so I'll agree with it", very little original thinking happening here anymore.