Robert Horry Says Spurs Would Beat 80s Lakers and Celtics

metrocard

Legend
"No disrespect to the guys back in the 80's and the 70's, but the guys now are so much better than those guys," Horry said. "I don't care what they say. If you look at old films, guys only went right. They turned and kept it in their right hand. Look at the things LeBron (James) can do, Tim (Duncan) can do, Tony (Parker) can do, Manu (Ginobili) can do. Little (Daniel) Gibson over there. There's no way you can compare those guys. We watched what they did and expanded on that."

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news...8vLYF?slug=aw-horry061307&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

There is alot of truth to what he says, though he overstates the matter. In every field in which you can measure athletic performance objectively, like track and field or weights, performance has vastly improved from then. Nobody seems to care about this, some delluded fans even think guys from the 50's like Pettit were better than TD. It's pretty amusing.

eastlinykfan

Benchwarmer
Beat them in what, a fight or flopping? Hearing that, I lost a lot of respect for that retarded team in the Alamo City. I hate Horry, always have. Since his rookie year in 94 agst the Knicks to all his "fair weather team" NBA championship rings, I just can not stand the guy. Is he really saying that either Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Perkins, Scott, Rambis (for toughness), etc. or Bird, DJ, McHale, Parish, etc. would get beat by a bunch of misfits with great chemistry in their primes? With the exception of Rambis (and his unintentional comedic iconography) and Perkins (a stretch) these guys are
1st ballot Hall of Famers! I do not care how much the game evolved and how much better players supposedly are today, teams in that era thrived on team work not the stand and watch the superstar score 1 on 5 of today. Plus, a punk ass bully like Bowen would get completely bitched by the likes of McHale and Rambis types. Give me a break! What an asshole! The only guy on that team that could be allowed in the gym on that team in Duncan. Plain and simple. And if that little French idiot MVP Parker tried to drive the lane, he would have been slammed on the floor every time and he would bitch out just like he did agst Varejao in Game One looking up for Eva. Good I hate Texas team in any sport!

knicklover

Benchwarmer
He's out of his mind. I think it's pretty clear that there are more superstar players now than in the 80s. However, there are WAAAAY more teams. So the talent is spread a lot thinner. Back in the 80s the best teams had multiple hall of famers on the same squad. They were all 4-5 deep with exceptional players. The typical championship team now is 2-3 deep with legitimate stars and the rest are just solid players or role players.

eastlinykfan

Benchwarmer
Yeh, Bill Simmons (The Sports Guy if you do not know him on ESPN.com) said the quality of basketball would be better if say we had a 23-25 team league b/c the talent would not be as deluted as it is. But anyway, you should listen to his podcast with David Stern, great interview on www.espn.com