We should keep Hughes

Paul1355

All Star
I know everyone just wants to dump the veterans because most of them are horrible but we should double check Larry Hughes. He is an overall good player. He can hit his shots, has range, plays defense by racking up steals, has a good awareness on the floor, and has shown a good ability to pass the ball. Don't forget he has been rebounding the ball surprisingly well.

Getting Hughes for a cheap deal next year and plugging him as a role player would be beneficial to our team. We need smart players that can play at both ends of the court and Hughes mainly creates fast brakes with his steals.

What does everyone think about signing Hughes to a cheap one year deal for next year and letting him be a main role player?

cant predict anything

does not matter

I mean realistically

we could have a roster of

Joe johnson

Dirk

Gallo

Chandler

Duhon

douglas

Hill

blah blah blah blah

im drunk

forget hughes

bite me

Scribbles

Rotation player
He's going to go where the money is at...

I don't think he's committed to the Knicks to the point where he'll take less than his worth for the sake of the team.

I just hate this whole team. :teeth:

Now if I can get this smiley :)gony:) to dump his Knicks banner in a trash bin...that would be hysterical!! Who's nice with the Graphics?

mafra

Legend
I like Hughes the most of our vet guards (Hughes, Duhon, N8). I He plays defense, gets people involved, he can rebound, and will score when he's "on."

Leaving Curry & Jeffries aside, these four have chances to return next year: David Lee, Larry Hughes, Al Harrington & Darko Milicic.

DAVIFD LEE as the most talent but I just don't see the Knicks retaining his services. So far this year, he's taken a big step backwards. He just doesn't really impact games when it counts and his defense is a major liability. I think the moment they drafted Jordan Hill, Lee was a goner. If nobody wants to pay him money (and he wont be getting anything close to a max deal) I could see the Knicks scooping him up for about 6-7 mil a year (depending on what shakes down in free agency)- but this is a LONG shot.

AL HARRINGTON seems like the ideal candidate, of the four, to place your bet on to be the one to return. He likes the system, is a local boy, likes Walsh, and seems willing to take less to be in the right situation. He is a solid 6th man, bringing offense off the bench. The only question is what Al wants: If he wants the most money, then he too is a goner. If he's willing to work with Walsh, I'm sure they'll find a way to slip him 4-5 mil a year for 4-5 years (or something.

LARRY HUGHES is in the same boat as AL. Having Hughes and Douglas serve as the backup guards, is a good thing for a championship caliber team. Having a savvy vet who plays defense and can score, as well as facilitate-distribute; compliments having a young, budding combo guard who can score and play defense. The problem is (unlike Harrington) will Hughes be successful as the 2nd guard coming off the bench, and possibly seeing dwindling playing time? I would welcome him back if he's accepting of his reserve role.

Darko Milicic is a work in project and gets an incomplete right now. He suffers b/c we are focused on dumping Jared Jeffries somewhere. This is taking Darko's playing time away. Unless we see something by the end of the year, I have to wonder if he has any worth?

It all comes to this: one way or another, either Darko or Jeffries will return next year. We need a backup center. Only on stays though. Of the other 3, I think we only keep one (Lee, Harrington & Hughes).

I wonder who is easier to retain? I mean, LEE will be seeking more money. SO, while he seems like the obvious choice to flee, it may come down to the fact that nobody wants to pay him. Meanwhile, a role player like Hughes and Harrington aren't seeking max deals, so some team might pay them a little extra to lure them in. In the end, we need to fill roster spots, and we'll have money to sign one of these 3.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
Hughes need minutes in a row, not in and out all game

He knows he the best defender, Hughes is only 30, but has a dozen years in league, most the players can't handle his passes (he is good). Better point guard than Duhon. Always has to play 35 minutes to find his touch, D'A pulls anyone that gets hot, Hughes 1st , Robinson 3rd quarter. Whats the story with benching Al for the first 5-7 minutes of each game, he losses 5-7 points there alone. Hughes will probably go to the Wizards, he loved it there. The coach had to play him due to injuries, he was DNP, then Hughes got them a couple wins. Today he got pissed, and was shaking his head when he got pulled.
The substitutions when they are on a run is killing the team. Robinson good have dropped a three pointer in the fourth quarter or overtime. I don't get it, sure they are not going far, but this coach is costing us wins. The Duhon and Galo love is going to far, let Duhon find his shot in practice, not 10 games over 30 minutes and not over 10 points, plus poor defense. Hughes is making 17 million this year, not all from Knicks, but he could be an excellent backup at the point, two guard or a small forward. Put in and out play for most this guys is killing the team. :agreed:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
cant predict anything

does not matter

I mean realistically

we could have a roster of

Joe johnson

Dirk

Gallo

Chandler

Duhon

douglas

Hill

blah blah blah blah

im drunk

forget hughes

bite me
So dude... I've gone thru and had a look at some of the avatars for you to select from for our little challenge and I must say...... Some are lacking in taste... And that's a nice way of putting it... You do recall don't you? I won't be needing to refresh you and everyone else about our agreement?

Ha!

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Blow the team apart.

I like Hughes the most of our vet guards (Hughes, Duhon, N8). I He plays defense, gets people involved, he can rebound, and will score when he's "on."

Leaving Curry & Jeffries aside, these four have chances to return next year: David Lee, Larry Hughes, Al Harrington & Darko Milicic.

DAVIFD LEE as the most talent but I just don't see the Knicks retaining his services. So far this year, he's taken a big step backwards. He just doesn't really impact games when it counts and his defense is a major liability. I think the moment they drafted Jordan Hill, Lee was a goner. If nobody wants to pay him money (and he wont be getting anything close to a max deal) I could see the Knicks scooping him up for about 6-7 mil a year (depending on what shakes down in free agency)- but this is a LONG shot.

AL HARRINGTON seems like the ideal candidate, of the four, to place your bet on to be the one to return. He likes the system, is a local boy, likes Walsh, and seems willing to take less to be in the right situation. He is a solid 6th man, bringing offense off the bench. The only question is what Al wants: If he wants the most money, then he too is a goner. If he's willing to work with Walsh, I'm sure they'll find a way to slip him 4-5 mil a year for 4-5 years (or something.

LARRY HUGHES is in the same boat as AL. Having Hughes and Douglas serve as the backup guards, is a good thing for a championship caliber team. Having a savvy vet who plays defense and can score, as well as facilitate-distribute; compliments having a young, budding combo guard who can score and play defense. The problem is (unlike Harrington) will Hughes be successful as the 2nd guard coming off the bench, and possibly seeing dwindling playing time? I would welcome him back if he's accepting of his reserve role.

Darko Milicic is a work in project and gets an incomplete right now. He suffers b/c we are focused on dumping Jared Jeffries somewhere. This is taking Darko's playing time away. Unless we see something by the end of the year, I have to wonder if he has any worth?

It all comes to this: one way or another, either Darko or Jeffries will return next year. We need a backup center. Only on stays though. Of the other 3, I think we only keep one (Lee, Harrington & Hughes).

I wonder who is easier to retain? I mean, LEE will be seeking more money. SO, while he seems like the obvious choice to flee, it may come down to the fact that nobody wants to pay him. Meanwhile, a role player like Hughes and Harrington aren't seeking max deals, so some team might pay them a little extra to lure them in. In the end, we need to fill roster spots, and we'll have money to sign one of these 3.

If the plan goes ahead this off-season, we won't be able to afford Lee. Not unless he takes on a very low salary compared to what he'll no doubt ask for.

At this stage, you'll have to choose only 1 of the aforementioned like you say. I'd go for Harrington I think if I had to choose, but that signing would be really circumstantial.

Lee's defense just doesn't win games. And whether or not his rebounds do is another factor that goes down to circumstance.

Knowing Harrington, I think he'll be asking for some pretty serious $ at the end of the year.

Basically, I think we'll be going the full revamp.... hardly a face to recognize from this year bar the youngsters and Curry + maybe Jefferies?

p0nder

Starter
I would like to see us keep Al and hughes, But more likely that we'll see douglas, gallo, hill, curry, chandler back again.

TunerAddict

Starter
He knows he the best defender, Hughes is only 30, but has a dozen years in league, most the players can't handle his passes (he is good). Better point guard than Duhon. Always has to play 35 minutes to find his touch, D'A pulls anyone that gets hot, Hughes 1st , Robinson 3rd quarter. Whats the story with benching Al for the first 5-7 minutes of each game, he losses 5-7 points there alone. Hughes will probably go to the Wizards, he loved it there. The coach had to play him due to injuries, he was DNP, then Hughes got them a couple wins. Today he got pissed, and was shaking his head when he got pulled.
The substitutions when they are on a run is killing the team. Robinson good have dropped a three pointer in the fourth quarter or overtime. I don't get it, sure they are not going far, but this coach is costing us wins. The Duhon and Galo love is going to far, let Duhon find his shot in practice, not 10 games over 30 minutes and not over 10 points, plus poor defense. Hughes is making 17 million this year, not all from Knicks, but he could be an excellent backup at the point, two guard or a small forward. Put in and out play for most this guys is killing the team. :agreed:

Nate isn't even remotely a good 3pt shooter...If you want someone to shoot threes, get a pure shooter in there, like Gallo.

Nate is hot and cold, with the majority of his time spent on the cold side.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Are you watching the same games I'm watching? The guy is selfish and is padding his stats to get his last contract. Just last night he bricked a three got the rebound and brick it again. He shots every time he gets the rock, let me give you another example. It was a 2 on 1 with Gallo, this idiot instead of giving it up he goes up for a contested layup. I could count the times he passes the ball back once he has it, I really don't get. Get Douglas on the floor and sit this loser on the bench. I can't believe you people think that we can develop Gallinari, Hill, or Douglas with Hughes, Harrington just putting shots up for the hell of it.

Paul1355

All Star
Who Else Is Going To Shoot?

Are you watching the same games I'm watching? The guy is selfish and is padding his stats to get his last contract. Just last night he bricked a three got the rebound and brick it again. He shots every time he gets the rock, let me give you another example. It was a 2 on 1 with Gallo, this idiot instead of giving it up he goes up for a contested layup. I could count the times he passes the ball back once he has it, I really don't get. Get Douglas on the floor and sit this loser on the bench. I can't believe you people think that we can develop Gallinari, Hill, or Douglas with Hughes, Harrington just putting shots up for the hell of it.
-Hughes drives to the basket more than other players on this team and actually can draw fouls.
-Hughes is a good passer and can take over as a decent PG if Duhon is failing like always.
-Hughes has brains which everyone except Douglas does not.
-Hughes contributes more on defense than anyone else on the team.

Why does Hughes "supposedly" jack up shots?

Who else is going to shoot?

-Gallo does not know how to get open
-Harrington bricks more than anybody and is a ball hog
-Duhon is shooting 1%
-Douglas never plays
-Hill never plays
-Jeffries made 10 three's in the pre season and has not made one since.
-Nate has been ice cold.
-Chandler has been failing as a breakout SF and is the dumbest player we have, and can't make shots unless he is 10 feet from the hoop
-Landry has a decent shot but never plays
-Curry has shown signs of his old offensive post game but recently has just thrown up shots and is always trying to draw fouls that never come, resulting in turnovers.

So tell me who else is going to score on this team????

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
-Hughes drives to the basket more than other players on this team and actually can draw fouls.
-Hughes is a good passer and can take over as a decent PG if Duhon is failing like always.
-Hughes has brains which everyone except Douglas does not.
-Hughes contributes more on defense than anyone else on the team.

Why does Hughes "supposedly" jack up shots?

Who else is going to shoot?

-Gallo does not know how to get open
-Harrington bricks more than anybody and is a ball hog
-Duhon is shooting 1%
-Douglas never plays
-Hill never plays
-Jeffries made 10 three's in the pre season and has not made one since.
-Nate has been ice cold.
-Chandler has been failing as a breakout SF and is the dumbest player we have, and can't make shots unless he is 10 feet from the hoop
-Landry has a decent shot but never plays
-Curry has shown signs of his old offensive post game but recently has just thrown up shots and is always trying to draw fouls that never come, resulting in turnovers.

So tell me who else is going to score on this team????

I thought the idea was to sacrifice wins for the development of the young players we have! BTW and not even saying we have a core like the Thunder that have Durant, Westbrook, Green, Harden. But in Hill, Gallinari, Douglas and Chandler we have to see what we got in them. I want us to win but we haven't gone after free agents for at least one season so why have guys that want to pad their stats up. Instead of taking all those shots, become a facilitator and pass the damn ball to Gallinari when he's hot, or Hill when he's in the post. I really believe that the reason the Bulls benched and traded Hughes to us were for those same reasons I have mentioned. You can't develop Tyrus Thomas and Noah with Hughes as one of your lead guards. The guy is selfish and is out to get his, watch the game tonight you'll see. No doubt he can score and is a good player, however in this team which is rebuilding he shouldn't play the way he is playing. He should deferred to others that need the opportunity to succeed. The way some people are talking about Hughes you might think he's in Pippen's category.

Paul1355

All Star
All about money

I thought the idea was to sacrifice wins for the development of the young players we have! BTW and not even saying we have a core like the Thunder that have Durant, Westbrook, Green, Harden. But in Hill, Gallinari, Douglas and Chandler we have to see what we got in them. I want us to win but we haven't gone after free agents for at least one season so why have guys that want to pad their stats up. Instead of taking all those shots, become a facilitator and pass the damn ball to Gallinari when he's hot, or Hill when he's in the post. I really believe that the reason the Bulls benched and traded Hughes to us were for those same reasons I have mentioned. You can't develop Tyrus Thomas and Noah with Hughes as one of your lead guards. The guy is selfish and is out to get his, watch the game tonight you'll see. No doubt he can score and is a good player, however in this team which is rebuilding he shouldn't play the way he is playing. He should deferred to others that need the opportunity to succeed. The way some people are talking about Hughes you might think he's in Pippen's category.

On Hughes, he makes good passes and tries to feed the big men most of the time. Look if Jeffries is in there then I would start jacking up shots too. When Hughes is with Curry or Lee, he usually feeds them nice passes. Hughes shoots open shots. I like Hughes because of his defense and IQ, he is on a higher level than all of the Knicks in those two categories.

I completely agree that Douglas, Hill and Gallo should shoot all the shots and get more minutes. Mike D is wasting time right now and embarrassing himself by trusting Duhon at this point.

He is still trying to showcase Jeffries and isn't it ironic how Mike D said he wants to run his entire offense around Curry when Curry has not even practiced with the team really??? Mike D is all about making a player wait until he fits into the system and now all of a sudden Curry is the main focus. He is playing these guys to trade them.

Jeffries and Curry will get max minutes because they have to be traded while the development of Hill is being tarnished in the process and not improving.

Now on the Duhon part, the only reason I can think of Duhon playing at all is that Mike D knows he made a huge mistake in making Duhon a team captain. In order to make Duhon look like a team captain and not embariss Mike D's decision making, he continues to play Duhon starters minutes.

I hate to say it, but i really think that Duhon won't be benched for Douglas until the season is completely lost and to a point where Mike D has to play Douglas or else he will here boos and chants for his resignation.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
On Hughes, he makes good passes and tries to feed the big men most of the time. Look if Jeffries is in there then I would start jacking up shots too. When Hughes is with Curry or Lee, he usually feeds them nice passes. Hughes shoots open shots. I like Hughes because of his defense and IQ, he is on a higher level than all of the Knicks in those two categories.

I completely agree that Douglas, Hill and Gallo should shoot all the shots and get more minutes. Mike D is wasting time right now and embarrassing himself by trusting Duhon at this point.

He is still trying to showcase Jeffries and isn't it ironic how Mike D said he wants to run his entire offense around Curry when Curry has not even practiced with the team really??? Mike D is all about making a player wait until he fits into the system and now all of a sudden Curry is the main focus. He is playing these guys to trade them.

Jeffries and Curry will get max minutes because they have to be traded while the development of Hill is being tarnished in the process and not improving.

Now on the Duhon part, the only reason I can think of Duhon playing at all is that Mike D knows he made a huge mistake in making Duhon a team captain. In order to make Duhon look like a team captain and not embariss Mike D's decision making, he continues to play Duhon starters minutes.

I hate to say it, but i really think that Duhon won't be benched for Douglas until the season is completely lost and to a point where Mike D has to play Douglas or else he will here boos and chants for his resignation.

Hughes isn't playing for a contract after 12 years and now one of the top twenty players paid in the league. He is going to play with Arenas and back to the Wizards where he enjoyed the game. D'Ant's system is too weird for anybody that has played that long. He yanks one guy for a bad pass, leaves Duhon in for 10 games with 10 points? Hughes has always been a low 30's percent 3 point shooter, this isn't going to change. He slashes and is known for being a top defender (which is why Walsh grabbed him). Unfortunately coach gives him Lebron, Kobe and every top player to guard and expects 30 plus points while the other four players just stand and watch on defense. You can see he is just frustrated with the poor coaching and poor team play.
As far as jacking up the 3 pointers, he is doing want the boss wants. Hard to believe he is is the top five in steals and hardly gets 25 minutes on average. Duhon isn't too bad on D, put is not worth the 35 plus minutes he gets every game. Douglas is not ready for prime time at all. Rest of the team is never on the court long enough at the same time to learn each others moves. Why this guy pulls the backcourt when they are winning and pulling away from the opponent, I will never know. I watch on the Dish, and announcers from other teams say it, "why did he just pull those two guards who where on a 12-2 run" and put in a rookie? It's a plane shame.

portega1968

El Cacique
Hughes old... Hughes some positives but more negatives.

Knicks are not any better with him, plain and simple reason why his money is better spent on someone who can consistently produce in a supporting role.

Giants89FLY

Rotation player
He showed some excellent awareness vs Denver. Timely passes and cuts on offense.
I was extremely impressed with his play against denver... But its tough for me to pick who I want to keep on this team... We're way to inconsistent... But his play has been great recently...

Paul1355

All Star
Hughes has his negative moments were he is ice cold shooting (like against the Magic) and when he steps out of bounce which is almost every game.
Other than those two negatives he brings more skill to the table like passing, awareness, some shooting and good defense.

The two that I like staying are Hughes and Harrington for cheap, if they accept a cheap offer that is.

A good player that should be signed in 2010 can make Harrington and Hughes a lot better. Add Gallinari to that list.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
8 assist in a quarter, not selfish, great passes this year

Hughes has changed his game, he is not padding his stats unless you think assist, steals and rebounds are padding? Tyrus Thomas has not developed in three years and the Bulls want to dump him. No way you give your leading scorer to your own division. Hughes is not in Pippen's catagory, but do you see a Jordon on this team, come on, no one is making that comparison.

He has dished to everyone on the team, all the way down the bench. Hey, he is the highest paid Knick in his 12th year in the league, he is not playing for too much, maybe a couple million next year. Coaches know what Hughes is all about after a decade.
I would bet he goes back to Washington and plays with Arenas. He will be a great asset for teams for another 4-5 years coming off the bench.
Your looking at the Hughes from Cleveland. Lebron's excuse for several years. Yes, he out scored Lebron some games untill he tore his finger up so bad he had to alter his whole way he handles a ball and shoots (close to career ending). He took Cleveland through Detroit to the finals as a point guard and they have never been back. Funny, Lebron doesn't mention that, and they pay more and go after more every year. But nobody in Cleveland gets the ball until Lebron brings it up court (as the guard), plays his 1 on five, then throws it to Hughes back then or another player with 4 seconds left on the clock. No matter which way you cut it, Hughes has scored 14 ppg for a dozen years, great defender, covers the passing lanes, and has his streaks on offense. Great hands, low turnovers, beautiful passes.
Not bad when the average length of a career is 3.8 years and he is only 30.
Plus, Hughes never has been a distraction off the court to any team in his career, a tad nice for the Knicks. Lee and Hughes are from St. Louis, though Hughes started in the NBA when Lee was in 10th grade. I think he is better than Duhon, and surely better than Duhon this year. You think Duhon is a Pippen? Nate? Douglas? I will take Hughes at a real 6 foot 5, who gets the toughest defensive assignment every nigh on D. Remember to watch both ends of the court, the way he hustles, he deserves to jack one up for he takes away 5-8 away from the other team.
I would take him off the bench the next few years, if you look, he is the guy that came through on just about each of the five Knick wins. Not that that has anyone thrilled though.