Amare for Howard - Cause Berger's got to get views somehow

Here's a blurb from Ken Berger's "Postups: How will the Dwight Howard saga end in Orlando?" article posted today on CBSSports.com:

? There are also indications that Brooklyn isn't viewed as the only avenue for Howard to give Adidas a foothold in New York. With the Knicks (2-4) off to an abysmal start -- losing at home to Toronto and Charlotte this week on the second night of back-to-backs for both substandard teams -- already there are rumblings of discord on the coaching staff. The confusion and lack of commitment to new defensive assistant Mike Woodson's schemes is painfully evident -- "We're trying to improvise on the fly, and you can't do that," defensive stalwart Tyson Chandler said -- as is the tenuous situation for head coach Mike D'Antoni. If the acquisition of Anthony last February wasn't evidence enough, the addition of Woodson has only underscored how D'Antoni's influence within the organization has waned. D'Antoni is coaching in the final year of his contract without an extension offer forthcoming, an issue that threatens to consume whatever momentum the Knicks built last season.

If the Knicks keep struggling, the focus will spread from the coaching to the roster, and sources advise not to be surprised if the notion of a possible deal sending Amar'e Stoudemire to Orlando for Howard gains traction. If the Magic opt to convert Howard into a superstar of reasonably comparable stature, they could do a lot worse than selling Stoudemire -- a central Florida native -- to their restless fan base. The biggest issue would be Stoudemire's uninsurable knees, but there is risk involved in every scenario Orlando will be presented with between now and March 15. From the Knicks' standpoint, such an arrangement would break up the ill-fitting offensive combo of Stoudemire and Anthony and allow the versatile Chandler to move to the power forward spot, where he'd be a terror as a weak-side shot blocker and in Stoudemire's spot as the roll man in D'Antoni's pick-and-roll offense. A deeper question exists in whether Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan would sign off on trading Stoudemire, who was the only star willing to commit to the Knicks and embrace the challenges of New York in July 2010. For the aforementioned reasons, sources say it's plausible but unlikely that the Knicks and Orlando would be able to get any such talks off the ground. For one thing, it makes too much sense.

As you can see, not only is this somehow an idea that actually exists according to Berger, but the main reason it wouldn't happen is because it just damn "makes too much sense"

TheScowl

Rookie
Personally I'd rather have Howard on my team than Amare, but then it seems the balance shifts to the other extreme. Intead of two top tier scorers and questionable D, you have only one (albeit elit level) scorer and two defensive enforcers, but still no PG nor any cap room, assuming DH uses up most of Amare's 20 mil.

Seems to be a lack of a clear plan. In sum: You sign Amare because you lost out on LeBron and you need a go-to guy on offense. Then you get Melo, giving up a lot of supporting players, including your PG, and lock in a lot of cap. Which made the Stat move less valuable. Then you get Tyson Chandler, being desperate for a defensive presence. To then get DH, the TC acquisition loses its reasoning.

I know there are variables beyond your control which influence these decisions. Just would be nice to see the Knicks for once build a team in a methodical, sensible way.

quiggle

Starter
Personally I'd rather have Howard on my team than Amare, but then it seems the balance shifts to the other extreme. Intead of two top tier scorers and questionable D, you have only one (albeit elit level) scorer and two defensive enforcers, but still no PG nor any cap room, assuming DH uses up most of Amare's 20 mil.

Seems to be a lack of a clear plan. In sum: You sign Amare because you lost out on LeBron and you need a go-to guy on offense. Then you get Melo, giving up a lot of supporting players, including your PG, and lock in a lot of cap. Which made the Stat move less valuable. Then you get Tyson Chandler, being desperate for a defensive presence. To then get DH, the TC acquisition loses its reasoning.

I know there are variables beyond your control which influence these decisions. Just would be nice to see the Knicks for once build a team in a methodical, sensible way.

actually the whole Knicks plan of 2010 was not to eventually win a championship or make a logically competituve team, but to hike ticket prices to defray the costs/draw in more income for the rennovated MSG.

trading Stats for Howard does not make sense. We would then have 2 5s and no 4 or still no available pg. Nor would DH fit into No Ds scheme of 30 3s and hope they fall. If you were to trade for DH, the smarter trade would involve Chandler (who can`t be moved till March) and whomever for DH. That will not be very appealing to Orlando. This team needs a coach that will stress defense, one that will adjust the offense to one that stresses an inside,inside out offense instead of a space 3 ball offense. We have the pieces to beat the bejesus out of people inside, and we play into their strengths instead of our own. Stupidity is the first and foremost correction that must be dealt with. New Coaching staff

Last edited:

shizzee

Benchwarmer
Lol

I U love how fans are willing to discuss this now, but when I mentioned 2 weeks agao everyone was no way, how could think of such a thing, infact I got band for mentioning trade like this from ultimateknicks.com forum. people are funny

skisloper

Starter
trading Stats for Howard does not make sense. We would then have 2 5s and no 4 or still no available pg. Nor would DH fit into No Ds scheme of 30 3s and hope they fall. If you were to trade for DH, the smarter trade would involve Chandler (who can`t be moved till March) and whomever for DH. That will not be very appealing to Orlando. This team needs a coach that will stress defense, one that will adjust the offense to one that stresses an inside,inside out offense instead of a space 3 ball offense. We have the pieces to beat the bejesus out of people inside, and we play into their strengths instead of our own. Stupidity is the first and foremost correction that must be dealt with. New Coaching staff

it would be CHANDLER/AMARE
for TURK/HOWARD

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Is D12 > STAT + Tyson? I tend to say no but it still may make sense since you concentrate some much talent into one player who happens to be the best center in the NBA. Further if we did trade both STAT and Tyson you have to assume we wil require some additional talent in return.

Now if we can keep Tyson and add D12 without losing Shumpert I would do it but only to trade Tyson at a later point if the two cannot coexist in the paint together.

fender0577

Rotation player
We need a new coach, i personally think our roster is fine.Like someone above mentioned this idiot coach plays to our weakness, jacking 35 3's a night, who does that?

Toons

is the Bo$$
so if howard gets injured, how will u guys feel watching amare and chandler beasting in orlando? give our team some time.....stop hating on your own team.

Toons

is the Bo$$
i can see d12 in the corner shooting a 3 right now. Dantoni telling him, he was open, so shoot it.

quiggle

Starter
if we get Howard him and Carmelo might lure Phil Jackson as being Shaq-Kobe like, even wtih a garbage point guard like they have in Fisher theyve shown they can still win a title. Im tired of typeing out Renaissance Man, so I will refer to him as SHAT from now on, since it sounds like STAT, but no way something like him wold have Jackson interested in coming here. even Toni Kuckoc is better.

shizzee

Benchwarmer
Howard trade to NY can't happen until march 1

that is when Chandler could be trade unless.

Knicks have plans keeping Chandler and trading Melo and Stat.

but trading by Stat by himself is bad move for orlando.

doubt it would happen but would consider this

Washington get Melo Turk Douglas
Magic get Stat McGee Balkman
Knicks get Howard Lewis Wall

scary defensive starting 5 with descent bench could win some titles nightmare match ups. on the board 2-1 rebounding edge every night

Wall Shumpert Lewis Howard Chandler
Davis Fields Novak Jorts Jeffries
Jordan Bibby

Douglas Young Melo Turk Blatche
Mack Crawford Singleton Booker Turiaf

Nelson J-Rich Andersen Stat McGee
Duhon Reddick Q-Rich Clark Davis

I hadn't thought of the trade from this angle before, but what if the trade is merely an intended rental of Howard for the rest of the season. How would people feel about losing STAT and possibly not having anything to show for him when 2012 starts?

I guess in some way, the interesting ramification of giving up STAT for a Howard rental, is that it would be a way to clear a huge chunk of salary cap space in a hurry. Or am I missing something if the Knicks traded STAT and were unable to resign Howard?

Note: I still think all of this is fantasy and not going to happen.