[Daily News] Knicks Buying Out Larry?

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Gar~den chairman James Dolan apparently has started the process of ending Larry Brown's dream job after one season.
According to sources, Dolan, upset over Brown's record and the coach's public criticism of his players, is considering buying out the final four years of Brown's contract, worth at least $40 million.

The Knicks declined to comment, and would neither confirm nor deny one published report that already is naming Knicks president Isiah Thomas as Brown's successor. Brown has indicated that he will not resign, but if Thomas takes over, the Knicks would avoid having to pay another coach upwards of $5 million annually.

Thomas, who coached the Pacers from 2000-2003 but never got them out of the first round of the playoffs, is said to be amenable to coaching the Knicks, one source told the Daily News.

Knicks brass has not met with Brown since the end of the 23-59 season, according to sources, perhaps another indication of Dolan's dissatisfaction with the Hall of Fame coach. According to a team official, Brown has requested a meeting with Dolan but Thomas has told Brown there is no reason for him to meet with the club's owner.

http://www.knicksonline.com/teaser/5065/knicks-buying-out-larry.html

Are you kidding me???!!! This organization needs to be burned down NOW!!! Thomas is horrible and his coaching skills are just as worse. The players he has, excpet ofr a small few, do not want to be coached by anybody!!! You have a Hall of fame coach who tells it like it is. If those poor spoiled millionaires do not like it thne chuck them!!! Getting rid of Brown is no where near a solution and is one of the worst and will go down as one of the worst moves in franchise history!!!

ny3nyk

Rotation player
this is exactly why we keep losing. we have no patience. if somethign doesnt work in a year, we abandon it. thing is, there is no one person to blame, is a whole chock full of people to blame. and who is a better coach, brown or thomas? thomas messes up the roster now he has a chance to mess up how we play (as if we had a style of play btw). the thought of locking this guy up for 6 yrs and 40m bucks and letting him go after one year is stupid

jffga

Rookie
HA HA HA ... I can use good laugh !!!

datruth said:
yes!!!!!!!

You and just a few too many others like you are among the dumbest bunch of bastards on the planet out there posing as "Knick fans". (Posers being the key word here). HEY !! ... I'm ALL for seeing the Isiah Thomas Three Ring Circus come to town. BRING IT THE 'F' ON. In this final "we're clueless with nothing left we can do" Thomas inspired sack of shit showdown, He will finally have no one left to hide behind and no one else to blame. This is put up or shut up time. I CAN HARDLY WAIT !! LOL. Someone please get me a bag of popcorn!! This would truly be THE Greatest Show on Earth at the Garden next year fo shizl my nizels! True “Knick fans” (something entirely different then you bunch of sorry ass Isiah Thomas nutsack lickers) can only hope that when he does (and he will) fall flat on his face in plain public sight, that maybe just maybe Dolan will extract his head from Thomas’ crotch as well and run his sorry ass out of town like he should have done a LONG LONG time ago, like before he hired him. Actually, I suspect that Dolan is not giving Thomas an ultimatum here, nor should he, in making him coach this 'dream team’ of his making. Dolan can only hope that this prideful remorseless asshole will fail so miserably that he'll resign so Dolan can get rid him while thinking he’ll save some face, which is just not possible at this stage of the game. The only thing we can ask of Thomas then is that he'll take the rest of you suck up retards with him back under the rock that you all live under.

Trin_Starr

Starter
front051406.gif

Trin-Starr pedicted this would happen!!! lol

Good bye Larry Clown

NYKnicks15

Starter
Does this mean it will happen? no.
but should it? yes.
im not a fan of Marbury to the point where I will pick him over Larry. in fact i think larry is the best coach in the NBA. BUT his ways wont work with our roster. any other we would have won many games. do i think if we keep larry wed be winning in two more years (and essembling his roster)? YES. BUT what happens after his four years and we have his lame roster?

im fond of Isiah. and i think the players will listen to him. but i dont think he is the best choice. but is better than larry in this role.

no matter what, the roster will need moves. Francis or Marbury needs to go to get a SF. Harrrington and O'Neal are very very fond of Isiah. and who knows. this mite be the ticket we needed to landing one or both of them. Harrington more so.

ny3nyk

Rotation player
how bout the idea of swapping positions? that is plausible, gives larry control of a team and assembles what he wants, and the players might actually listen to thomas when playing. just a thought

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
NYKnicks15 said:
Does this mean it will happen? no.
but should it? yes.
im not a fan of Marbury to the point where I will pick him over Larry. in fact i think larry is the best coach in the NBA. BUT his ways wont work with our roster. any other we would have won many games. do i think if we keep larry wed be winning in two more years (and essembling his roster)? YES. BUT what happens after his four years and we have his lame roster?

im fond of Isiah. and i think the players will listen to him. but i dont think he is the best choice. but is better than larry in this role.

no matter what, the roster will need moves. Francis or Marbury needs to go to get a SF. Harrrington and O'Neal are very very fond of Isiah. and who knows. this mite be the ticket we needed to landing one or both of them. Harrington more so.

thank u

jimkcchief88

All Star
I like Isiah, but I think this is a ego thing. He's been wanting to back on the bench since he was chased out of Indiana. This will not be good for this team. I can imagine a starting backcourt of Starbury and Franchise with stat lines like 7-40 combined with 4 assists and losing every night by 25. Isiah doesn't have the coaching pedigree of a Pat Riley to build a team and coach at the same time. Hope this report is not true or I see trouble ahead. :hoops:

sxmarbury516

Benchwarmer
u guys think what u want... me personally would be thrilled to see isiah take over. he's on espn's top 10 greatest point guards ever. the guy knows the game. he brought in a lot of talent and then a good coach (but not the right coach 4 the team) now its on him to make it mesh. if this does happen i bet u anything the knicks will be destined to make the playoffs.

Allen

Benchwarmer
I'll be sad to see Larry Brown go, if this story is true. I believe Larry Brown on his resume alone deserves another year or 2 or even 3 to get the Knicks turned around. This is just ego stroking by Thomas.

NYKnicks15

Starter
i dont understand this ego striking talk.
isiah hired Larry for four years. not one.
Dolan wants Larry gone. Isiah is not trying to fire Larry. Dolan is.

I wont defend Isiah all the time but how is he striking his own ego? wouldnt you say Dolan is? and the only reason he is. is because then hell save money on hiring a new coach if Larry is bought out

rady

Administrator
Staff member
Won't the Knicks look awkwardly stupid signing Brown for a multi-tear contract, making him the highes payed coach in NBA and then giving up on him after just one year?

DaGreek34

Benchwarmer
Larry Brown is the most hyped, over-rated coach in the NBA. His only loyality is to his bank account, just ask the Pistons owner. Brown had a chance to resign, but instead he just said he would return, when EVERYONE knew he was not going to go back and coach the Pistons. So the owner of the Pistons had to pay him a crazy amount of money. Even though he commented how the Knicks was his dream job during his last season and how he was thinking about becoming the Cavs VP during the Playoffs.

He then comes to the Knicks who have a young team and a great deal of draft picks coming. Three young cats came in the last draft and they all saw their minutes go up and down throughout the year. David Lee really played hard but he would go games being deactivated. Now this draft 2006, the Knicks have picks at 20, 29.

Larry Brown basically pulled the sheets over the eyes of the Knicks and he came there and caused serious problems througout the season. Suck it up and coach the f'n team! Instead he would cry to the press about the teams shortcomings. He traded Arriza who to me was a good young player for another PG when they already have Marbury, Robinson and Crawford. That trade made no sense to me!

Larry Brown should go and the Knicks should try to keep as much money as possible. The Knicks need a coach who is good with players and lets the players run! This team can run, but Brown does not let them. Brown micro-manages more than any other Coach in the NBA. He yanks players so quickly so how can a player feel comfortable! He also had how many different starting lineups?

Larry Brown is OVER-RATED and OVER-HYPED!

Trin_Starr

Starter
LB is going to get bought out.
Larry is the type of person who needs to be in absolute control.
His image is tarnished by this rumor and to know that the knicks are trying to boot him, will make him no longer want to be here next season - which of course is great for us.

LB purposely sabotaged this season and he needs to face the consequences.

Isiah is the best caoch for this team.
Every player on the roster respects and loves Isiah.
They also know that they need to make him look good and that he assembled a fine group of players.

In AND1's anklebreakers hosted by Marbury, Steph said that Isiah was the player he looked up to the most in the NBA.
JC loves Isiah.
Curry and Q are chi-town guys and grew up knowing Isiah.
The whole roster has some personal tie to him that will allow him to maximize their potential

They will play hard for Isiah.
They will go to war with him.

hoop115

Benchwarmer
IF Larry Brown is bought out AND Isaiah does become the head coach, this would open the door to bringing in a NEW and BETTER GM.

In order for the Knicks as an organization to be turned around, it must start from the top. Isaiah has taken a huge gamble on his transactions. Some of them have paid off, some of them haven't. The GM may be the single most important role in any organization.

Kiki Vandeweigh's contract is set to expire on Aug. 1st. Kiki is an excellent candidate. He has Knicks roots and was voted GM of the year a couple of years ago.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
This is so typical of how clueless Dolan is! Brown's track record surpasses Isiah's by sooooooo much!! I say, let them make Isiah the coach, trade for Gorden and let's watch the Knicks set an all time recird for losses! I think Dolan needs some tuff love to snap him back into reality! I say they take Rose's contract, trade it to Philly for Iverson and we can have a starting lineup of Steph, Frances, Gorden, Iverson and Curry! Hell, why stop there! Let's have the Knicks lobby for some rule changes to allow 3 balls to be used at the same time so that all the ball hogs that the Knicks are accumulating can shoot like they want to. You know, I wonder what the internal memo's in Chicago look like:

Attention Staff, take a chance on anyone you want becasue if they do not work out, we can trade them to the Knicks!

Getting rid of Brown is NOT the answer. Getting players that can play is!! Isiah needs to get Brown his type of players, like Dumars did in Detroit. Getting some blue collar defensive minded front men would be a great start!