CHAD FORD...straight outta the horse's mouth.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
" Knicks: A number of team executives say the Knicks have been the most active team during the first five days of the free-agency period.
Team president Isiah Thomas is trying everything to remake the team's roster. That includes, according to multiple team executives, offering Stephon Marbury to the highest bidder. The problem is that no one seems interested in the four years, $76 million left on his contract.

Thomas is willing to trade Marbury to the Sixers for Samuel Dalembert (in a sign-and-trade), according to two league sources. To get a deal to work under the CBA, the deal would have to be expanded because of base-year issues with Dalembert. A trade of Marbury and Tim Thomas for Dalembert, Jamal Mashburn, Aaron McKie and Kevin Ollie works under the cap.

The Knicks' plan would be to move Jamal Crawford to the point, with Quentin Richardson at the two. Channing Frye would play the four, with Dalembert at the five.

Would the Sixers make that trade? They would have the most dynamic (or is that combustible?) backcourt in the league (Marbury and Allen Iverson) and would get to dump two bad contracts. But losing Dalembert at center, with only Marc Jackson left to roam the middle, would be a high price to pay.

If they can't convince the Sixers to deal, the Knicks might be willing to do a smaller deal that sends Marbury to the Hawks for Al Harrington, Tony Delk and Jason Collier. If the Hawks really want veterans (see below), this could be the way to go.

Thomas also has set his sights on several other top free agents. Thomas has been wooing Kwame Brown, Antoine Walker and Stromile Swift but has only enough cash (with the mid-level exception) to bring one guy -- unless, that is, he can work out a sign-and-trade for one and use his mid-level on another. The goal, sources say, is to sign Walker with the mid-level and work out a sign-and-trade with Washington that ships Sweetney back to D.C., where he played his college ball at Georgetown. "

----------------------------

Very interesting...

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
if it were up to me i would just do a sign and trade with stromile.......

he shouldnt be 2 hard to get......but everything else just sounds like it would be 2 complicated....

i think i feel this way because ive become attatched to some of the knicks players and dont want them to leave(tim thomas,Ariza,Jerome williams, and jamal crawford)

i just like them.....i thnk they bring alot to the table and ariza and crawford have so much ability left in them...and tim had an all-star second half....

i dont like what isaih is doing to the team......the only knick left on the team from like 2-3 years ago is allan houston who will soon be cut....

being a knick fan is going to be hard if he keeps dealing everyone away...

there is somthing called chemistry.....after players play with each other for a while....they learn to play better...but when u keep bringing new faces in it messes up that whole "chemistry" idea......

i say sign and trade for swift......then let the team play for a few years only making minors deals

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
last season penny didnt play much anyway so theres no chemistry lost....tim had issues and didnt fit in well til the second half. for a superstar or a big man its worth it, but not change for the sake of change.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Straight out of the horse's mouth?
That deal is more horse $hit that anything else.

Marbury for Dalembert?
First off if AI and steph were on the same team, I would immediately relocate to philly.

Second, Philly already has the monster contracts of AI and Webber - u think they gonna add another one??? especially with the new luxury tax rules" that the league has incorporated?

NYK Way

Benchwarmer
Yeah none of those trades are good. Marbury for Dalembert- HELL NO. Marbury for Harrington - HELL NO Marbury for Mashburn - HELL NO

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
they might drop webber with the CBA thing but i tihnk the ball isnt big enough for ai and marbury. plus theyd lose one or two big men

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Trin_Starr said:
Straight out of the horse's mouth?
That deal is more horse $hit that anything else.

Marbury for Dalembert?
First off if AI and steph were on the same team, I would immediately relocate to philly.

Second, Philly already has the monster contracts of AI and Webber - u think they gonna add another one??? especially with the new luxury tax rules" that the league has incorporated?

Umm...ya, that was the joke. Chad Ford is the horse genius, therefore what comes outta his mouth is ________ . Oh wait, you already told us.

And ya, I'm gonna be one of the few Knick fans that thinks a Marbury for Dalembert would be great b/c as it is now even with Stephon and Frye, we won't get past even the 1st round of the playoffs. The East is just too competitive nowadays.

We wouldn't really need a SF all that much b/c we'd have a bunch of players that can either spot or even start at the 3 (Ollie, Q, JYD, Houston, Ariza).

That said, I STILL find it difficult to buy Isiah even seriously shopping Marbury. I'd belive that he's dangling Steph out there a little just out of curiosity to see what he could get in return. But I just can't see him trading him. That Harrington deal is pretty bad unless they give us an unprotected 1st.

But ya, I'd support that Dalembert trade b/c with a young lineup of Dally, Frye, Ariza, Q, and Crawford, and /w/ a supporting cast of veterans on the bench, we'd stay exciting for years to come while continuing to gel together over the years.

Oh, and just a note about that roster - that would be like having the Suns with defense...

One more thing - some of you seem to be more concerned about Marbury than the actual team. I think the question should be, is the team better with or without Steph? At this point, I could lean either way.

KnicksFan20

Rotation player
This is my only problem with marbury leaving......we woulnt have one of if not THE most import position covered bye a point guard

sure we can stick jamal crawford there because of his great dribble/crossovers......

but crawford dosent like to take the ball to the hoop......he dosent like to go inside....hes more of a perimiter guy....and unless they work with his stregnth and get him used to going into the hole......it wouldnt work..

it may work but thats just wut i think

e_D

Benchwarmer
I would trade Marbury for Dalembert. While alot of people would think Isiah is smoking crack to make a trade like that, I think it would make us formidable in the long run. Craw would prolly have to adjust to the point, and his first year being a true point guard would probably be terrible. A year or 2 of work and I'm sure Craw and Nasty Nate would run things flawlessly. I could see the line-up of Dalembert, Frye, Ariza, Q, and Craw causing MAJOR damage in the east in 2-3 years.

What I like about this lineup is that there is no "Me" in it. Meaning, I could see this squad really having a team mentality, IF:

-Q and Craw control their shot selection (Herb can make it happen)
-Someone (either starter or bench) assumes the position of team leader, both on and off court.
-Isiah makes the team feel safe, not like everyone is expendable.
-Isiah makes the right coaching decision.

One of the fun things about the Isiah era is that you never know exactly what he has in store. He's either a genius or a lunatic..

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
I really hope that Dalembert deal could go through, b/c I think with a future starting lineup of Dalembert, Frye, Ariza, Q, and Crawford, /w/ Nate, Sweetney, and Lee coming off the bench, AND us reaching the cap by 2006, the dominoes would start falling into place. Not only that, but that team would have time to grow up together so to speak, and theyre young enough to have that time. It would also be an ingenius move on Isiah's part b/c every member of that starting 5 would be signed for the majority of their career, all at MLE or slightly above contracts. Assuming they eventually gel and all reach their potential, that's bargain price right there. I just worry that Zeke wouldn't really push for that deal to happen. He would def. explore it, but I think he needs to make it happen. I like K-Mart as well, but he's no Center, and /w/ Sweetney coming off the bench, and K-Mart being only a year or two younger than Marbury, I think Dalembert is the better player for the future.

Imagine having a team that stuck together for 10 years........wow.

portega1968

El Cacique
I believe Peter Vecsey calls the supposed ESPN Insider Mr. Chad Fraud. Just the fact it's coming out of his mouth makes me believe this is bogus speculation, barely as good as any crap I can comeup with (see Topic: What we need vs. what's available). There has 2be a better deal we can get for Stephon, I'm talking about a top 10 player, not someone with just potential. And that includes character, so I want to hear what he (Dalembert) has to say about his neighbors calling health officals because of the supposed pigpen he has in an apt. in Philly before they ever consider bringing him to NY. Peter the Russian, shed some light on this for me.

NYK Way

Benchwarmer
The Knicks traded Spree when he was like 34 35. He was already washed up when the Knicks got rid of him. He had one decent season with the T'wolves and thats it. He demanded more money and they offered him a bigger contract but he didnt take it. Marbury is only 28 and he still has a lot left in him.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Actually, this has less to do with age and more to do with the inevitability that, with Steph's knees the way they are, he only has a few good season left in him. Is that enough time to make a deep drive into the playoffs? I say no. THAT is why look to trade him, unless of course you CAN get that big man like Magloire that will have an immediate impact. Guys like Kwame and Stro aren't definite impact players. They are both question marks. You know exactly what you're gonna get with Maggs. But that said, I doubt we'd be able to get him with anything we have right now.

I'm telling you, if that Dalembert rumor is indeed legit, I'm likin the direction Isiah is going...

Ted

Benchwarmer
Magloire would not have much of an impact the guy does nothing offensively and is only slightly above average defensively.
Neither would Dalembert, who's basically a backup to the great Marc Jackson. He had a good playoff series but he's extremely limited offensively and an injury waiting to happen.
Dalembert would upgrade the defense and it would be a great move salary cap wise.
I'm not sure Philly would do it. you have the contracts first of all. Then you have two players who need the ball in their hands to be effective. They still wouldn't get by Detroit so I see no point.

If I moved Marbury it would probably be for Al Harrington who has a very reasonable salary and you could turn around and deal him even in a sign and trade for a Tyson Chandler or see what was available for Q/Crawford (nothing probably). Maybe Atlanta would also give you Childress. Those guys could really use a point guard and someone to at least make them respectable. They might not want to contaminate their young talent with Marbury's attitude.

If Marbury goes then Nate Rob is the starting point because Crawford is not a point guard. The guy doesn't know the meaning of the words drive or pass. Unless you're looking for Charlie Ward plus 200 missed threes a night you don't put that guy at the point.
Anyway Zeke loves Marbury and I doubt if he'll trade him unless he gets something solid.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Ted said:
Magloire would not have much of an impact the guy does nothing offensively and is only slightly above average defensively.
Neither would Dalembert, who's basically a backup to the great Marc Jackson. He had a good playoff series but he's extremely limited offensively and an injury waiting to happen.
Dalembert would upgrade the defense and it would be a great move salary cap wise.
I'm not sure Philly would do it. you have the contracts first of all. Then you have two players who need the ball in their hands to be effective. They still wouldn't get by Detroit so I see no point.

If I moved Marbury it would probably be for Al Harrington who has a very reasonable salary and you could turn around and deal him even in a sign and trade for a Tyson Chandler or see what was available for Q/Crawford (nothing probably). Maybe Atlanta would also give you Childress. Those guys could really use a point guard and someone to at least make them respectable. They might not want to contaminate their young talent with Marbury's attitude.

If Marbury goes then Nate Rob is the starting point because Crawford is not a point guard. The guy doesn't know the meaning of the words drive or pass. Unless you're looking for Charlie Ward plus 200 missed threes a night you don't put that guy at the point.
Anyway Zeke loves Marbury and I doubt if he'll trade him unless he gets something solid.

First of all, any player that can jump and run is an injury waiting to happen. So that made no sense.

Second, Crawford would UNDOUBTEDLY be the starting PG if Marbury left. I don't know where you got the idea that Nate would...

Third and lastly, whether or not we trade Marbury, only a select few will be shopped and ultimately traded. So I can't fathom how you would assume Isiah would deal Q and/or Crawford.

portega1968

El Cacique
Marbury went to GTech, so Atlanta may be interested....but for Al Harrington? I've been frying Marbury for his lack of D, etc., but there has to be something better than Al Harrington or Dalembert. He's still the best PG besides Nash and Kidd, so we shouldn't trade him unless we're getting a Top10-20 player in return. I prefer to target a desired player and then see what it takes 2get him. KG, Artest, Peja, Lamar, Brand, AK47, Gasol, Pierce, etc....I'd rather dream big than conform to Dalembert's supposed upside or Harrington's so-so game.

bobs3304

Benchwarmer
Harrington doesnt get me excited to tell you the truth. But Dalembert does, simply b/c he's that athletic, aggressive, defensive minded Center we need.

But I agree, I think would atlanta atleast be loosely interested in Marbury, especially since the only FA they'll likely get is Swift...

And yo, Portega - how do you justify complaining about me calling you a jackass, and then calling me a prick?

jurk

Ted

Benchwarmer
portega1968 said:
Marbury went to GTech, so Atlanta may be interested....but for Al Harrington? I've been frying Marbury for his lack of D, etc., but there has to be something better than Al Harrington or Dalembert. He's still the best PG besides Nash and Kidd, so we shouldn't trade him unless we're getting a Top10-20 player in return. I prefer to target a desired player and then see what it takes 2get him. KG, Artest, Peja, Lamar, Brand, AK47, Gasol, Pierce, etc....I'd rather dream big than conform to Dalembert's supposed upside or Harrington's so-so game.

You're dreaming. Marbury is loved in NY but no where else. His style of play dominates a team. sure he gets a bunch of assists, but all jump shots after he drives and kicks it out. He's not a true point guard and there is a reason that Kidd and Nash led the same teams he couldn't do anything with deep into the playoffs. It's because they know how to play in a system and as a team not just drive and dish or take it strong 80% of their team's possessions. Marbury is also approaching 30 and has a bunch of years and a bunch of millions coming his way.
I don't think that you can win with him, otherwise I would agree with keeping him because you're not going to get anything comparable in a deal.
Harrington is a winner with an all-around game and one year at 7 mill left. If nothing else he can get you any big guy you want in a sign and trade.

Artest is the only star you might be able to get seeing as he's crazy and the Pacers are an ideal fit for Marbury: they need a point and have a star and a strong coach in place. The Pacers have a ready made replacement for Artest in Granger. Of course, then the Knicks are taking a huge risk on Artest. The Knicks lack of defense and effort would definately drive him nuts.