Bye to Marbury

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
This post will probably get a lot of heat or get ignored as "stupid". I think if the Knicks want to move forward, they should lose Marbury. This guy is cancerous, and proven he can't lead. Check the track record. Minnesota got better when he left, Phoenix with Steve Nash is 2nd in the NBA. Kurt Thomas doesn't want Marbury there anymore either. Read SLAM magazine or check this http://slamonline.com/links/01312005/.

KT you gotta know that Cat is a SOLDIER!! I think while Marbury still carries some trade weight we should dispose of him, his salary, and especially his "me first" mentality. A team is only as good as it's leader. If that leader is Marbury, expect more futility. This team should move Crawford to the point, look at getting Joe Johnson from Phoenix in the off season. I think that Crawford is far more coachable than Marbury. It just a suggestion, so read this carefully before going berserk. A point guard is supposed to be an extention of the coach, a floor general, a true leader. How can a PG win the battle when some of the other soldiers won't go to battle with him 100%??? How many times has Nazr been open underneath while Steph is trying to put on a ball handling clinic up top? Too many. The NBA is too big, fast, and strong to not put those passes in when you have the window of opportunity. Here's the Knicks small window of opportunity...Trade Marbury.

Blumatic

Rotation player
If that is the case then we do have a problem on our hands. But i just saw during a game against the Bulls Kurt and Steph getting along just fine and talking about a miscue. I do not find that source about the dispute between KT and Steph credible. Your post is an opinion. An opinion with out any substance. He is not Nash, he is not Kidd. He is Stephon Marbury. A point guard that jusy happens to be on bad teams. He is agood PG that has not had any good cast around him since the T'wolves. Remember he left the T'wolves. The Nets traded him and The Suns traded him. The Suns Got Rid of Kidd also b/c they wanted Marbury. The only thing against Marbury is being a leader. Maybe he is not a leader. He is more like a Chauncey Billups type player. Just a very good player.

dacash

Benchwarmer
while i agree that marbury is not a leader,and at this time does not make his teammates better he is a special player averaging about 19pts and 8 assists. what i suuggest is that we find a scittie pippen like player to accompany both he and crawford. someone like lamar odom a sf who can pass and rebound well and scores when need be.i believe some ike that who is also a hell of a ball handler,when paired with two scorers and kt and nazr in da low post would make the team and marbury better.remember these are just opinions

NYKnicks15

Starter
no. its a logical idea but he is needed. you cant base it on the teams past hes been on. everytime someone says that i try to disprove it because the people on his team werent incredible playerS and i underline S because there was only maybe one player besides him on the team that could help.

Minnesota-Kevin Garnett
New Jersey-Van Horn & Kittles
Pheonix-Shawn Marion

i dont know how creditable that story with KT is BUT i think it is very possible. they are in a rough spot right now and i am sure they are all upset.

i forgot which broadcaster had set it, but i agree with his comment. during a recent game, he said the reason marbury's teams struggle is because hes always brought in to be the main person. he also said if he was the 3rd best player on a team that team would strive....and its true. hes cant handle it all by himself, sure he has nice role players around him but he doesnt honestly have anyone better.

his contract is going to kill us in 07 when we try to make a run for LeBron. i dont think trading him is the best option, but too bad there wasnt a way hed take a paycut for the better of his team. oh by the way what do you think of a Tim and Kurt Thomas for Shareef Abdur Rahim and (someone to equal out the contracts) Joel Pryzbilla? Shareefs in his last year and Joel will be next year...plus we get rid of tim who we arent using and Kurts contract that runs out in 07. we barely use tim do to injury and bad play and i liek kurt but hes aging. i dont know...GO KNICKS!!!

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
I thank everyone who took time to post. I say to blumatic these aren't my opinions with what happened with KT and Marbury. If you click the link,it's goes to slam magazines website. Rady also backed me up on this story by posting the link to this story as well. Marbury gets paid like the leader, shoots his mouth off like the leader so whether he likes it or not, people the Knicks organization is in this as well, consider him a leader on this team. If he's not ready for the responsibility that comes with the territory, he should be traded. The Suns traded him because he failed to get the ball to Amare & Shawn Marion. I think if the Knicks went after Stoudemire he would pass if Marbury was still on the team. Blumatic said Steph is Steph. Got it. Does anyone think he's the best PG in the league? He did yet he continually doesn't help on D. Watch the game last night and count how many assignments he blew. Jason Kidd is coming off near career threatening surgery, and routinely plays better D. I don't think KT is the only guy who's frustrated either. The guys I worry about is Ariza, Crawford and Sweetney. If they see him do nothing they may feel that it's fine for them to not do anything either. Marbury continually fails to make this team consistently better. So I think he should go. Phil Jackson even recently criticized Marbury. The guy needs to wake up and realize the NBA is built with team play. Or he should start his career over somewhere else.

NYKnicks15

Starter
i dont think we meant the source is not credible i think he and i (atleast) meant i dont know how credible the story itself is.

i think amare wouldnt leave because hes on a good team, not because of steph. a matter of fact the year (like stated in another thread) amare and steph had a good year together when amare first came in....then the following year amare got hurt and didnt come back until steph was traded. plus steph has average a little over 8 assists per game in pheonix, so he was giving the ball to someone. a matter of fact he led the team in 01-02 with 666 assists and average of 8.1 pg....aswell as 02-03 in which they finished with a 46-36 record...also if you read an addage from the suns website they have a paragraph or three about how Stephon was there leader. so pheonixs downfall didnt come by steph rather the injury of amare. if you watched the pheonix/knicks game not too long ago before warmups they were talking and laughing it up. so i dont believe there is any beef there.

heres the thing about stephs salary. we didnt give that to him. it was given to him by the nets i believe. (i mite be wrong on which team tho)...if you go to the thread entitled "Maybe he is not a leader, but hes needed". I think youll see a little more detail into everything. especially the window of opportunity is not through marbury its by...well just read the thread :)

teslawlo

Benchwarmer
thing is, kt shouldn't be talking. he shoots over 90% of his shots from that midrange jumper, and provides absolutely no defense against one of the most lethal and potent positions in this day - the PF spot. He is scoring 10 points and allowing 20 way too often

Blumatic

Rotation player
I'm glad to respond to any post man. I understand the frustration with Marbury. He shoots his mouth, but doesnt back it up. As of late, coinciding with this losing streak, he has played horribley. Not one game in this losing stretch he has had a good game. Its been Crawford that gives us hope, not a chance, hopes to win a game.

I get mad with Steph too. When you see him play he has a sour puss face on all the time. Its like its a burden to play out there.

With his being paid like a leader. That is what is wrong with the league today. Too many of these guys get paid for potential than paid for acccomplishments. Too many get paid for the way they play than what they mean to a team. Tim Thomas is a perfect example. This guy has the best NBA body in the History of the NBA, the guy is a rare specimen. He is tall at 6'10", he is fast like a guard. He can jump shoot, he can post. Thats why he got a max contract. But the guy is straight garbage. NBA teams do not know how to spend money that well.

Nexboogie

Rookie
I am starting to feel the same

I mean Marbury has been absolutely skewered in the media after his "greatest PG in the game" comment. Yet even still after all the criticism he makes absolutely no attempt to assert any kind of leadership skills over the team. I really like the guy too, especially since he's a Brooklynite, but I mean come on eventually people will see the writing on the wall.

Guy has a tremendous amount of talent but unless that talent can be channeled into becoming a leader even after the many years of "maturing" he's gone through, why can you do? WEait for him to get on a hotstreak and trade him will you can get some decent value for him.

But at the same time there just aren't that many PGs as good as he is, period. So until the woeful front court is addressed and improved, we're not going to find anyone better.

Long time Knick fan here, new member...

Anyway... I've been a fan of Marbury but I don't believe he's a franchise player. Knicks management is trying to make him the franchise player (face of the Knicks), but I don't think he's cut out to be it. The Knicks are missing that true franchise player which I believe has to be a big man/sf/sg. Marbury puts up good numbers but he's not a HOF calibur player. The Knicks need that. With their cap situation, they're pretty much stuck in the mud. You just have to admit, there is something about Marbury that when he goes to another team, they just simply stink it up. Is it bad luck? or bad timing? Who knows... but the point is, the teams he played on weren't consistent winners where he's the floor general on those teams.

If you watch Marbury play, he plays defense lackadasical. He doesn't bring any intensity and drive to this team. It's like he wants to put up his numbers and let the other players do their thing. They aren't working as a team. Nobody wants to cover the other guys back. Where's Charles Oakley? :cry: I truely believe for this team to move forward, you have to give up your best player... and that includes giving up Marbury. Because face it, this team is going to go nowhere in the next 3 years.

NYKnicks15

Starter
maybe its true about giving up ur "best player". but in his defense and i say this all the time people judge the nets, twolves, and suns on what they are after he left....

think about it tho. when he was in those orgs he only had one/two person to rely on.
timberwolves- it was just him and KG there was absouletey no depth to that team
nets-it was him and kittles and kvh...cmon is that a team? not until the year after he left did they get Kmart or Richard Jefferson
suns-he had one year with amare and marion. and they were close to 50 wins that year. then they picked up Q-Rich and JJ developed....

those were not his fault and neither really are the knicks. he is not a leader right now and who knows if he ever will be. but the biggest help he could do the knicks right now is take a paycut haha. if we trade off everyone except him, craw, sweet, and ariza well have a 36 million dollar salary for the offseason. leaving us with 11 million to spend....we really cant fill up the rest of the roster with only that little money...so our choices are trade everyone (accept them 4) for better players and dont lose cap.....trade everyone (accept them 4) and get expiring contracts and 11 million dollars to spend in the offseason.....or trade everyone (accept ariza, sweet) and have a total of 33.5 million to spend in the offseason on ppl like Eddy Curry, Stromile Swift, Michael Redd, possibly ray allen....whats ur choice? i have a split decision :?

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
Goldglover you're a poster after mine own heart! You and I might be related ;). I agree as I have posted before here, what we could trade Marbury for, we could get better players for the future to build around. To further this end, if we wait 2-3 years, better free agents come available, bad contracts expire, and we still are the mecca of basketball. who wouldn't wanna play for the Knicks? Let guys Ariza and Crawford develop. Sweetney is another guy on the bubble. He looks out of shape to where he was before. I wish the Knicks would stop trying to hit a homerun. Fans need to realize you can't win every year. NY needs to stop spoiling their fans shortcuts. Nothing good comes overnight, it comes over time.

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
teslawlo said:
thing is, kt shouldn't be talking. he shoots over 90% of his shots from that midrange jumper, and provides absolutely no defense against one of the most lethal and potent positions in this day - the PF spot. He is scoring 10 points and allowing 20 way too often
i cannot beleive u r serious....he is by far the best defender on the new york knicks. Im sure no one was complaining about his defense when he shuts down kevin garnett, once ure ina losing streak everyone finds some special problems with players that enver existed. I bet during the week before marbury said he was the best pg when he shut down steve francis and crapped all over him noone said he was a bad pg.. If kt's defense and marbury's score first mentality were a true problem then they should have been just as heavily criticized when the knicks were winning

a knick fan

Benchwarmer
theres a reason why KT has been on the trading block for many years now. hes not the franchise PF everyone wants. i can think of at least 10-15 better PF's in the nba jsut off the top of my head. kg, duncan, gasol, swift, webber, j. o'neal, z. randolph, s. rahim, r. wallace, etc etc etc.

he gets into a lot of foul trouble. he doesnt have an inside game so take pressure off marbury or whoever the point guard is (where the point guard can just feed the ball inside to him and let him do all the work), and i think thats a very important quality for a big man to have. plus hes getting older. and have you noticed how hes usually the last one to make it back on defense in transition? he's always at the end of the pack. a PF like k-mart or swift would be racing up and down the court. hes just not a dominant PF.

whether the knicks would be winning or losing, i would gladly trade away k. thomas for aany of those elite PF's or a younger player with more talent. i even think sweetney ccould put up similar numbers if given the minutes. and dont forget, kurt has a couple of years left on his contract...hes going to become less and less valuable and more of a drain on the payroll as times goes on if we dont let him go now.

Blumatic

Rotation player
dr.carpy said:
This post will probably get a lot of heat or get ignored as "stupid". I think if the Knicks want to move forward, they should lose Marbury. This guy is cancerous, and proven he can't lead. Check the track record. Minnesota got better when he left, Phoenix with Steve Nash is 2nd in the NBA. Kurt Thomas doesn't want Marbury there anymore either. Read SLAM magazine or check this http://slamonline.com/links/01312005/.

KT you gotta know that Cat is a SOLDIER!! I think while Marbury still carries some trade weight we should dispose of him, his salary, and especially his "me first" mentality. A team is only as good as it's leader. If that leader is Marbury, expect more futility. This team should move Crawford to the point, look at getting Joe Johnson from Phoenix in the off season. I think that Crawford is far more coachable than Marbury. It just a suggestion, so read this carefully before going berserk. A point guard is supposed to be an extention of the coach, a floor general, a true leader. How can a PG win the battle when some of the other soldiers won't go to battle with him 100%??? How many times has Nazr been open underneath while Steph is trying to put on a ball handling clinic up top? Too many. The NBA is too big, fast, and strong to not put those passes in when you have the window of opportunity. Here's the Knicks small window of opportunity...Trade Marbury.

Well I was wrong the NYdailynews confirmed it. But I still dont think Steph is cancerous as you say. I'm willing for any change but only if it makes us better. I think KT should be the leader of this team. He is a captain, he is the true captain. Some captain we have in steph. I like steph a lot, i dont know if he is hiding some injuries that can be impeding his play. I'm glad KT is fighting. But i rather him getting into people's faces. Call 'em out in the locker room. BE ANGRY KURT, GET MADD KURT, BEAT EVERYONE IN THE HEAD.

dacash

Benchwarmer
kurt is angry,problem is few others are angry. jamal will shoot kurt will be kurt,azria will fly . but that only three guys.they say sm is hurt maybe he is,if he is he not like tt who is cleared to play but says he will wait or h20 iwho wants to play but his career is over.what happened to the career year nazr was having? why did sweetney regress and get fat again?jyd has no more energy? where da hell is vin baker?damn jalen rose at small forward and donyell marshall at power forward dosent sound to bad right now.we need a spark something to light a fire under these cold soldiers.

DownUnderKnick3

Benchwarmer
With all the anger and frustration that seems to be building up in the Knicks locker room this may very well bring the team back together and bring their intensity back...or it could completly backfire and put us in a even worse position then we already are in.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
I read this perspective today and maybe addition and this article again suggests addition by subtraction of Stephon Marbury. Read http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/bas...88feb06,0,6697435.column?coll=ny-knicks-print and see if you agree with me and the article. I really think we should move Marbury while he carries some trade value. Marbury scored 33 Points. He only looks for his own offence first. A true PG like Nash showed look for the cast first, then score supplementary points. If the Knicks had more leadership, we be a lot better than we are. KT feels like one voice crying out, alone in the wilderness. It's time to move of the dead weight for components. The teams that win, San Antonio, Phoenix, Detroit, they have parts. This teams needs to define/assign roles. Whoever isn't willing to comply, should go elsewhere. This is why the Knicks have been so unsucessful. The rules haven't been clearly established. They need to be immediately.