Why can't we have this owner?

Marek

Benchwarmer
He has all these smart people just telling him what to write the checks for.

THAT is the right attitude for an owner.

moneyg

Starter
Crazy⑧s;181277 said:

Cuban just like dolan... sticks his head in everything.. he has a lot of passion.. but it got to a point when dirk ask cuban to "shut up".. both owners will do anything to win...

this is not a knock on cuban or an endorsement of dolan.. but it kills me when people say that doaln should not of ever gotten involved in the melo trade.... if the situation was in dallas... cuban would of had his hands all over it....imho.. all owners should..

petescud

Starter
He's a awesome owner...Smart enough to know that the coach is vital to winning...Congrats Mavs and Cuban

Marek

Benchwarmer
but it kills me when people say that doaln should not of ever gotten involved in the melo trade.... if the situation was in dallas... cuban would of had his hands all over it....imho.. all owners should..

No, they shouldn't. Not the way you are saying.

Owners should be involved in planning and should issue directives to their front office executives. But when it comes to negotiating terms of deals, smart owners let basketball men handle basketball decisions. Owners generally have much, much, much inferior basketball knowledge compared to most basketball execs like Walsh or Donnie Nelson.

Real life example: I once worked at a metal related company. A venture capitalist and metal working hobbyist purchased the company. Do you know how he ran things? He trusted his executives with decades of experience in the industry to run the business. The owner was kept up to date on business moves, and had control on what direction the company would go, but he let his metal men make the metal decisions.

He didn't get in there and say, "Listen Don, I know gold is taking off, and I know you've already made very aggressive plans to increase our gold division while maintaining our other projects, but I want you to go further and dump everything and just go all out on gold."

"Oh, and thanks for getting our company out of the red for the first time in 10 years...here's a 40% pay cut. And I'm taking away your phone, too."

moneyg

Starter
No, they shouldn't. Not the way you are saying.

Owners should be involved in planning and should issue directives to their front office executives. But when it comes to negotiating terms of deals, smart owners let basketball men handle basketball decisions. Owners generally have much, much, much inferior basketball knowledge compared to most basketball execs like Walsh or Donnie Nelson.

Real life example: I once worked at a metal related company. A venture capitalist and metal working hobbyist purchased the company. Do you know how he ran things? He trusted his executives with decades of experience in the industry to run the business. The owner was kept up to date on business moves, and had control on what direction the company would go, but he let his metal men make the metal decisions.

He didn't get in there and say, "Listen Don, I know gold is taking off, and I know you've already made very aggressive plans to increase our gold division while maintaining our other projects, but I want you to go further and dump everything and just go all out on gold."

"Oh, and thanks for getting our company out of the red for the first time in 10 years...here's a 40% pay cut. And I'm taking away your phone, too."

for one.. the dolan have ran the knicks for decade.. itsa a little different than somebody buyin a compnay and has no history of the company....

for instance.. steinbrenner always was invloved in signing.. trade, etc.... with yanks... nobody had a problem with him.. the only differnce is when u win.. then other things are over looked.... im sure cuban has advisor givin him advise on donnie nelson decisions

Marek

Benchwarmer
for one.. the dolan have ran the knicks for decade.. itsa a little different than somebody buyin a compnay and has no history of the company....

Irrelevant.
For one, Dolan has been meddling since Day 1 when he was put in charge by daddy.
Secondly, it doesn't matter when he bought the company or how long he's owned it. The fact is that Dolan is not a basketball man. And when you're not an expert, you let your experts execute.

Why let someone who is not a basketball mind meddle with the plans of someone who is?

That is what Cuban understands and Dolan doesn't.

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
I recently watched Marc Cuban - Beyond The Glory. The guy worked hard for everything he's achieved. I totally respect him.

clumsy

Rotation player
yes was about to say that cuban is self made. Which in many ways means that he is of above average intelligence. Being an IT nerd myself i respect the fact that his front office is comprised mostly of statisticians. Simple stats like points per game cannot tell you the full story of a player, but in depth analysis like the ones on 82games.com can get pretty close. I would say it at the very least can determine who is a better free agent signing when it comes to roleplayers. It can also help dictate coaching...of how to make players better and how to defend players.

insanity4289

Benchwarmer
He has all these smart people just telling him what to write the checks for.

THAT is the right attitude for an owner.

That is definitely not true.

I have met Mark Cuban and he was preaching how you need to know more than every other person in the room when it comes to being successful in any business venture. Cuban knows alot about basketball and how to build a successful team. Yes he listens to his President of Basketball operations most of the time, but he is definitely not a puppet that doesn't know what he is doing.

You don't turn around an organization the way he has by not knowing anything about basketball

Marek

Benchwarmer
That is definitely not true.

It was an amusing quote from an interview last night.

He's not a puppet or a fool, but he's not the driving force behind player personnel moves. He knows enough to trust the executives with more basketball knowledge than him.

I have met Mark Cuban and he was preaching how you need to know more than every other person in the room when it comes to being successful in any business venture.

That's a great quote about making business deals, but do you really think that Cuban knows more basketball than all of the scouts and front office execs in his employ? Sometimes, good management is delegation.