Toney Douglas

Has been fantastic this season. I really appreciate his defense and toughness. Since Billups went down he's playing with much more confidence and I think he's taken his game to the next level. Very good backup PG for a Sophmore.

He still needs to improve his playmaking ability and patience, but I'm sure that will come with time.

His attitude and mindset are two things you cannot teach.

I like Toney as our backup PG and I want to congratulate him on a great job as our starting PG in Chauncey's absence. It's horribly difficult to replace a champion like Billups, especially as a sophmore, but Toney did a great job. His energy was great and I felt confident with him on the floor.

He's slowly but steadily becoming one of my favourite players.

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
I think Billups' presence has been golden for Toney. Working with a seasoned all-star veteran point guard is what he has needed. With Billups' continued guidance I believe Toney will be a solid back-up PG or even a starter...

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I agree, he is playing w more confidence.

Tony Douglas has been Mike D's project PG. He's taking this kid from fledgling rookie and molding him into something serviceable.

I'm seeing more and promise from TD. Kudos to him for continuing to work hard and IMO being one of our most teachable players.

Toons

is the Bo$$
I think Billups' presence has been golden for Toney. Working with a seasoned all-star veteran point guard is what he has needed. With Billups' continued guidance I believe Toney will be a solid back-up PG or even a starter...

Douglas will benefit the most from the billups trade. Even when we played against the nuggets before the trade, billups was giving douglas some tips and encouragement.

this little tidbit passed me by the other day, but I thought it was still worth sharing today?

Accoridng to the team?s official website, Chauncey Billups had a few words of encouragement for Toney Douglas when the Nuggets were in town last week.
?Toney Douglas has already received some valuable advice from his veteran teammates and NFL brother throughout his rookie season with the Knicks. But what he probably never would have expected was getting some tips from an opposing player during last week?s victory over the Denver Nuggets.

?All-Star point guard Chauncey Billups pointed out mistakes made by Douglas and told him things he could improve on as the two were matched up against each other. It was the latest sign that Douglas is earning respect from some of the best players in the game with his impressive play recently.
?He was in the same position I was in when he was a rookie,? Douglas told MSG. ?So he was just helping me out.?

It?s nice to see that TD is being treated with some respect on the court. This is not to say that Billups is an up and coming mentor, but rookies do not necessarily get the benefit of the doubt from visiting veterans, so it?s great to see that TD is held in high enough regard.

To me, this means Douglas carries himself well and gives off a vibe of knowing where he is in this league and respecting those who have come before him. Given Billups? career, I can;?t imagine him offering friendly words of advice to anybody who he felt might not know his role.

Too bad Dino didn?t make any mistakes for Melo to correct him on after that game?
http://www.theknicksblog.com/2010/03/30/billups-offers-douglas-advice-encouragement/

And now that billups has the chance to teach young douglas up close and personal, he's taking advantage of it...

"I talked to him this morning," Billups said of Douglas. "I told him, 'Try not to defer so much to the guys. When you call a plan, just run it no matter what people say or what you might feel. Be in command out there. '

"And I know it's probably tough for him as a young player playing with those studs like that, guys that are alpha males. So I know it's a difficult position for him, but I told him, 'Be confident in what you do.' "

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...ony_toney_douglas_lead_kni.html#ixzz1G1E4zF3r

Great thread; love it.

Douglas was the reason why I was all for trading Gallo for Melo in a split second. Gallo would have been a 6th man off the bench to begin with. Douglas is going to make one hell of a 6th man. Gallo's already been replaced in my eyes; thanks to TD himself.

The lack of D' from Gallo, while always sitting & standing around the 3 point line was hard to watch. Good luck to the European, he has great potential, but I hated his off the ball & style of play.

Gallo was money when he was sinking 3's, but Douglas can do so much more for NY. Can run the point, backup the 2G position, drive & finish @ the rim, pass the ball, play tough D'... The kid is an old school- throw back 90's type of Knicks player. His jump shot is money too.

I'm a huge FSU fan. TD was our entire team. When we drafted Douglas? I celebrated in the same types of ways that I went crazy when the Jets drafted Leon Washington (FSU).

Only his 2nd year. The best of Douglas has yet to come. After next year; he'll become our PG.

Learning & working behind Billups this year & next year will become huge for Douglas moving towards the future. If Douglas gains some playoff experience this year & next: he'll be a seasoned vet ready to lead the Knicks heading into his 4th season come 2012.

As a starter, this dude is a 20-30 pts per, 5-8 assists type of talent... & he's only a 2nd year player. With Melo & Amare (two of the NBA's top 5 scorers) Douglas won't need to put up those numbers, but he's good enough to explode on any given night.

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
Douglas will benefit the most from the billups trade. Even when we played against the nuggets before the trade, billups was giving douglas some tips and encouragement.

this little tidbit passed me by the other day, but I thought it was still worth sharing today?

Accoridng to the team?s official website, Chauncey Billups had a few words of encouragement for Toney Douglas when the Nuggets were in town last week.
?Toney Douglas has already received some valuable advice from his veteran teammates and NFL brother throughout his rookie season with the Knicks. But what he probably never would have expected was getting some tips from an opposing player during last week?s victory over the Denver Nuggets.

?All-Star point guard Chauncey Billups pointed out mistakes made by Douglas and told him things he could improve on as the two were matched up against each other. It was the latest sign that Douglas is earning respect from some of the best players in the game with his impressive play recently.
?He was in the same position I was in when he was a rookie,? Douglas told MSG. ?So he was just helping me out.?

This is great. And what a great story about Billups giving advice to his opponent. He must have some level of affection for Douglas I guess. Similar scenario coming in to the league.

What a wicked hidden perk
:peace:

He reminds me so much of John Starks

Did you just hear of starks, or actually watch game in and game out of starks.

John starks changed the entire pace of the game as well as shifted the entire defensive scheme of opposing teams when he was on, when he was off he would isolate and defend the other teams best scoring backcourt player every single night for almost a decade. Toney douglas is not now, nor ever will be even close to what starks was.

every one remembers starks going 1-18 but people quickly forget that he is in the record books for that 93-94 nba finals in terms of his play to help us get to a game 7. We wont have a game 7 if starks doesnt shoot lights out every game of the playoffs that post season

while i love douglas in some aspects

comparing him to starks is sacreligious.

Toons

is the Bo$$
Did you just hear of starks, or actually watch game in and game out of starks.

John starks changed the entire pace of the game as well as shifted the entire defensive scheme of opposing teams when he was on, when he was off he would isolate and defend the other teams best scoring backcourt player every single night for almost a decade. Toney douglas is not now, nor ever will be even close to what starks was.

every one remembers starks going 1-18 but people quickly forget that he is in the record books for that 93-94 nba finals in terms of his play to help us get to a game 7. We wont have a game 7 if starks doesnt shoot lights out every game of the playoffs that post season

while i love douglas in some aspects

comparing him to starks is sacreligious.

umm....starks is historical in knicks history.....thats about it...

he's a career
12 pts 3.6 assists

his career best numbers are
19 ppg 5.4 assists

his second year, he averaged
7 pts 3 assisst

This is douglas' second year

he averages
9 pts 2.5 assists

as a starter, douglas is far superior to john starks. Im just sayin.....between 93-95-96 season, starks was up there with some average scorers, then he just leveled out

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
umm....starks is historical in knicks history.....thats about it...

he's a career
12 pts 3.6 assists

his career best numbers are
19 ppg 5.4 assists

his second year, he averaged
7 pts 3 assisst

This is douglas' second year

he averages
9 pts 2.5 assists

as a starter, douglas is far superior to john starks. Im just sayin.....between 93-95-96 season, starks was up there with some average scorers, then he just leveled out

What!?

Starks was NBA 6th man of the year, All Defensive 2nd and an All Star. Just like SHAQ, his numbers faded with age. It was a sad day when we dealt Johnny.

We can only pray that Douglas lifts his game high enough to garner Starks well deserved and lofty league wide regard.

Toons

is the Bo$$
Crazy⑧s;165822 said:
What!?

Starks was NBA 6th man of the year, All Defensive 2nd and an All Star. Just like SHAQ, his numbers faded with age. It was a sad day when we dealt Johnny.

We can only pray that Douglas lifts his game high enough to garner Starks well deserved and lofty league wide regard.

dude as a starter, douglas is 15 and 5

Toons

is the Bo$$
Crazy⑧s;165825 said:
I was referring specifically to this.

and me saying jamal crawford won 6th man of the year is referring to me saying again, nothing spectacular. Starks is not on some high pedistal 'TALENTWISE' that its crazy to think that tony douglas cant surpass him skillwise, if he hasnt done it already. Starks like what derrick fisher is to the lakers. An important part of the team, can handle pressure, smart seasoned verteran player, but NOT and will never be A Kobe/Houstin a Gasol/Ewing a LJ/Odom a Artest/Spreewel.....starks wasnt as good as knick fanatics make him out to be, thats all

and me saying jamal crawford won 6th man of the year is referring to me saying again, nothing spectacular. Starks is not on some high pedistal 'TALENTWISE' that its crazy to think that tony douglas cant surpass him skillwise, if he hasnt done it already. Starks like what derrick fisher is to the lakers. An important part of the team, can handle pressure, smart seasoned verteran player, but NOT and will never be A Kobe/Houstin a Gasol/Ewing a LJ/Odom a Artest/Spreewel.....starks wasnt as good as knick fanatics make him out to be, thats all

:agreed: My fav Knick from that era, but he ain't as good as Toney.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Starks is not on some high pedistal 'TALENTWISE' that its crazy to think that tony douglas cant surpass him skillwise, if he hasnt done it already..starks wasnt as good as knick fanatics make him out to be, thats all

How easily you forget. Or at least are speaking of that which you don't know or understand? I don't know?

The guy was an amazing competitor.

Douglas has a long way to go, even defensively, to catch John Starks. I love TD, but I'm not gonna pin that medal on his chest for a while.

no disrespect to starks and what he has done whatsoever, just bein real

What has he done? Have you even watched our team in the 90s? I know he had a few low moments, especially against the Rockets (UGH), but he was the best SG we ever had.

This is my problem with many of the younger generation fans. They don't respect the old timers. Typical.

Oh, and he dunked on Jordan.