Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

KingCharles34

All Star
Ok and the Candidates are

Amare - Considered the favorite coming into this thread, back when Stat first signed with the Knicks some still considered him the best PF in the NBA. Like Jay-Z told Nas "You had a spark when u started but now your just garbage." Thats not completely true but it does sorta sum up Stats time in NY.

However, i believe he could still easily be a top 3 PF and a top 10 player in the game with his combination of strength and athleticism. With the additions of Kidd and Felton, perhaps that will boost Amare's game back up. We shall see

Ray Felton - While no one says hes a star point guard, Ray proved back during the 2010-11 season that he can very effective in the right system. Last year things didnt go to well for him as he came into the shortened season out of shape and played like he was nearing retirement. Some Knicks fans view him as an underachiever because of this, although i think shortened season + sh*tty team is why we saw what we saw from Felton last year

JR Smith - He might actually make the most sense here. A tall shooting guard with great speed and athleticism, hes a solid shooter and can explode for 25+ points any given night.

I believe if he worked hard on his game he coulda been a GREAT shooting guard. He has the tools to easily be a top 5 SG in the game, but unfortunately for us fans JR hasnt shown much interest in being anything other then a good role player off the bench that can knock down 3's, throw down highlight dunks, and sometimes play defense. He seems content with his game, he doesnt have the drive to be the best he can possibly be.

Carmelo Anthony - Going off the last month of last year, Carmelo was undeniably amazing. He was an offensive machine, he got his teammates involved, and he rebounded well. So whats the problem KingStar? The problem is his defense, he could truly be an elite player as in borderline top 5 instead of borderline top 10. At times I have seen him play great defense, but those times are far too distant from one another.

Last but not least we have...

Ronnie Brewer - Ill be real, i dont know a whole lot about this guy. I know hes a really good defender and a really good athlete. But from what I know the only offense he has is his dunking. Work on that jumpshot Ronnie

KingCharles34

All Star
I gotta go with Amare but JR Smith is actually very close in my opinion. I can only hope that after November ill be wondering why did i include Stat and Melo in this thread. On the contrary, Stat could be coming off the bench by the time December comes. If thats the case ill give him the "Biggest Underachiever in Knicks history" award.

JR Smith might not be the most consistent player and he might not play up to his abilities but at least hes only getting a couple milli

p0nder

Starter
voted for JR because the guy is an athletic beast. He should easily be dominating guys out there but has never realized his potential. I think part of it is the way he was used and the coaching he received and part was his own unwillingness to be coached.

I read that article recently from grantland and feel it gives a good insight into JR's life and game. The guy has the talent, he just needs the right situation. I honestly think our best bet is starting him at the 2 guard with felton. He will thrive as a starter but doesn't like the bench spark role and therefore will not perform to his highest capabilities as that role. I think the energy guys should come off the bench for defensive stops, like brewer or iman. who can spell JR and let him reassess.

Still JR is one of those guys that should have gone to school and matured outside of the national limelight. instead he did a lot of that rebellion stuff in front of the cameras and it's hurt his stance in the league.

KingCharles34

All Star
I actually just finished reading that same article, its made me reconsider some. Overall it helped me realize how much potential this team has, and who knows. Maybe Woodson will be the guy that gets the most outta Earl Smith

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Biggest "underachiever."

The thread opening question was the identity of the player who was the biggest underachiever. I have to go with the guy who is also plainly the most talented -- Carmelo. I believe he has yet to tap the surface of his immense talents.

Though he has shown from time to time that he is an exceptionally good passer, Melo's style of play is too individualized -- perhaps in great part due to the fact that one on one there may be no one better. On defense, he gets lazy. He has got to be more LeBron like and consistently play both individual and team defense.

A fully team oriented Melo, in sync with Amare' and Chandler, will be the difference this year. We will need him to make the space and provide the opportunities for the other two stars. I am certainly not counting on a geriatric Kidd or the Felton I remember.

If the question were who was likely to be the biggest disappointment, I am afraid it is Amare'. I hope he turns it around.

Lol at picking the MELO MAN. I'm not gonna write a novel but Melo is in beast mode. No one on the team is near 5 levels as Carmelo. Carmelo's job should be to be a elite scorer and be clutch, play a little good D and be the beast offensive player he is. How bout We let one of the greatest scorers this game has ever seen just be that. We don't need 5 nba all defensive players. Looking back at this sheet years down the line, people will say Melo was a good enough scroer as anybody and was the man but there was no big man and power forward to lay into mother****ers when they drove to the whole or got cute. Stat I'm looking at you! 100 WHAT? New York needs attitude with ****y ass boston miami chicago.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Amar'e, easily.

Guy goes from MVP-caliber one season to barely a top-50 player in the league.

I'm not knocking the guy, but he had the most dramatic drop-off and so he has underachieved drastically.

That said, I see a surge from him next year. He will drop buckets with anger in his brain.

Munchen13

Benchwarmer
Amare without a doubt, his first half season was unbelievable, he and felton were really good together.

Maybe the coming of Melo changed his mentality, knowing that he aint the most important player in the team anymore. Plus we have to consider that the knicks offense right now runs through melo, and that might be something that effected Amare's game because the knicks offense was dependent on him prior to Melo's era.

Amare's talent is undeniable, he can easily be the best offensive PF of the league if he really sets his mind to it, he just needs to man the **** up and do his job without whining in the inside.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
I picked Melo.

Underachiever: one that fails to attain a predicted level of achievement or does not do as well as expected

Thats Melo all over,needs to get us a title. No excuses, we've got a squad now.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The thread opening question was the identity of the player who was the biggest underachiever. I have to go with the guy who is also plainly the most talented -- Carmelo. I believe he has yet to tap the surface of his immense talents.

Though he has shown from time to time that he is an exceptionally good passer, Melo's style of play is too individualized -- perhaps in great part due to the fact that one on one there may be no one better. On defense, he gets lazy. He has got to be more LeBron like and consistently play both individual and team defense.

A fully team oriented Melo, in sync with Amare' and Chandler, will be the difference this year. We will need him to make the space and provide the opportunities for the other two stars. I am certainly not counting on a geriatric Kidd or the Felton I remember.

If the question were who was likely to be the biggest disappointment, I am afraid it is Amare'. I hope he turns it around.

Nice.

Melo's passing game is as under-utilised as it is effective. If you go through the Knicks' highlights from last season on NBA.com, you'll see a lot of passes from Melo as dimes for teammates that could be considered as playmaker feeds.

When questioning why it's the case that such a capable passer is less inclined to pass, it's a bit of a conundrum. Last season, when the Knicks kicked off their campaign, Melo was looked to as a playmaker and fulfilled the role rather dismally.

Later on in the season, he seemed more inclined to make the feeds he made within the flow of the game, but not necessarily in the flow of a set play.

I think a lot of Melo's dimes last season were precipitated by broken plays/non cognitive or designed plays, and when the need arose for him to hit players on time and on target, he did.

So, is it the player or the system that has a versatile passer not making passes? I'll be keeping an eye on that in 12-13.

Is Melo the biggest underachiever on the team? No, he's not. Not even close.

STAT!!! Travelling, lowest FG% since rookie season, shots blocked, sub par rebounding at the 4 in turn with the freakish athleticism, getting dominated by bench players, missing defensive rotations, confusing Chandler on either end.......The list goes on.

Melo has a passing game to add to his arsenal, Stoudemire is in need of a veritable overhaul.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Amar'e, easily.

Guy goes from MVP-caliber one season to barely a top-50 player in the league.

I'm not knocking the guy, but he had the most dramatic drop-off and so he has underachieved drastically.

That said, I see a surge from him next year. He will drop buckets with anger in his brain.
This sums up my response :thup:

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
I actually just finished reading that same article, its made me reconsider some. Overall it helped me realize how much potential this team has, and who knows. Maybe Woodson will be the guy that gets the most outta Earl Smith

mike_woodson_MR_potato_head.jpg

orangeblobman

Rotation player
This sums up my response :thup:

:thumbsup:

I can also see the case for JR SWAGBALLZ, but to my mind JR is beyond even being a chronic underachiever: at this point in his career, he is what he is and I guess that's all he ever could be. Maybe 5 years ago I would say JR is the biggest underachiever, but today, I take him for what he is. I don't see any big swings either way for him. What's cool about SWAGBALLZ is that he seems to be comfortable with his role. You got guys like A. Randolph who think they're above their station based solely on talent, and JR isn't like that. I think JR knows exactly how much work he has to put in to be at a level he is comfortable with, and he doesn't really have a big head about moving to the next level. In a lot of ways, you gotta appreciate that. JR does what he do, and I'm ok with that.

Kiyaman

Legend
Real Talk ....

If I been in the league for 9 years, and could never get my team pass the
first-round am I an underachiever?

please dont answer all at once