Walsh seems to be finishing what he started

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Yes, we will have cap space in 2012. But as it stands now, we will have $12 mil in cap space with only two people on the roster (if we get rid of Douglas and Balkman). The cap needs to go up a lot for us to be able to afford a 3rd max contract.

STAT1

Starter
Yes, we will have cap space in 2012. But as it stands now, we will have $12 mil in cap space with only two people on the roster (if we get rid of Douglas and Balkman). The cap needs to go up a lot for us to be able to afford a 3rd max contract.

I don't think it'll be too hard to dump Balkman's contract to free up a little more cap space by then.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I don't think it'll be too hard to dump Balkman's contract to free up a little more cap space by then.

As I said, we will have approx $12 mil in cap space if we dump both Douglas and Balkman. Only $12 mil of cap space with just Melo and Amare on the roster.

We will still need the cap to go up quite a bit in order to afford a 3rd max (CP3/DWill).

Walsh after the trade indicated that he pulled the trigger on the deal and said the Knicks WILL have CAP room for another Max-Level player in 2012.So by saying that does this means he is still willing to finish the knicks championship project? Yet to be seen.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/211268/Walsh_I_Had_Final_Say_Over_Carmelo_Trade
Donnie Walsh should win gm of the year and should be elected to the Knicks hall of fame.When he arrived the Knicks were a disaster with fat contracts left from Isiah Thomas and he turned this team around and got us two superstars.I would have NEVER expected this two year ago.

iSaYughh

Starter
As I said, we will have approx $12 mil in cap space if we dump both Douglas and Balkman. Only $12 mil of cap space with just Melo and Amare on the roster.

We will still need the cap to go up quite a bit in order to afford a 3rd max (CP3/DWill).

And that's a remote possibility.

We need to maneuver the perfect 8man squad built around Amare-Melo.

Center, 6th man, pg addition.

Conceivably, we can get all three by next season.

But more than ever we need Walsh in fighting shape, not having his skills molested in any way by Dolan-Isiah.

We are one bad signing/misstep from being a backseat, seatbelt fastened team to MIA & Co.

Markutis

Benchwarmer
Big problem is we clearly overpayed our two superstars. Next year STAT and Melo will compromise 38 million of our cap. LeBron and Wade only 31 of the Miami Hate's. Shouldn't be that way being the Knicks. Overpay is for small market teams.

It could get worst with the new CBA and players like Rose or Westbrook having to sign a new contract soon. Our rivals for the title will be more flexible. We'll have to go Lakers way. Lots of luxury taxes.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
Big problem is we clearly overpayed our two superstars. Next year STAT and Melo will compromise 38 million of our cap. LeBron and Wade only 31 of the Miami Hate's. Shouldn't be that way being the Knicks. Overpay is for small market teams.

It could get worst with the new CBA and players like Rose or Westbrook having to sign a new contract soon. Our rivals for the title will be more flexible. We'll have to go Lakers way. Lots of luxury taxes.

We can live with it, I'd rather overpay that not have stars.

Wonder if Minni still believe Rubio is "untouchable". I've got a feeling they won't be so hot on him now and we could get him relatively cheap.

Before someone tells me he isn't good enough, he's going to be freaking amazing when he gets where he wants to be. You're either going forwards or backwards and he's gone backwards because he didn't move forwards, that doesn't mean he can't go forwards again.

STAT1

Starter

Ah sorry, I misread your post. Well it all depends on the new CBA none of us knows what the next salary cap figure will be set at, you gotta figure both sides will have to make some concessions to reach an agreement so maybe the cap figure goes up to accomodate higher average salaries to benefit the players but max salaries go down to enable more flexibility for owners to build a contending team? Just throwing some stuff out there. If the cap figure can just go up about another $4M we'll be in great shape to sign CP3 or DWill to a max contract in 2012.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

You are forgetting that the Max contract will be lowered as well. Plus we have S&T possibilities to go over cap and then the exception. Yes, CBA might eliminate exceptions but I doubt it and I am almost certain there wont be a hard cap,