Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59
  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,636
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Jeff Hornacek Hired to be Knicks' New Head Coach

    News just broke that Jeff Hornacek has been hired to be the Knicks' new head coach. Literally just read this within the last minute. Details to follow.

    Ian BegleyESPN Staff Writer

    The Knicks will hire Jeff Hornacek as their next head coach, a league source confirmed to ESPN. First reported by Bleacher Report.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,472
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by htr10
    News just broke that Jeff Hornacek has been hired to be the Knicks' new head coach. Literally just read this within the last minute. Details to follow.

    Ian BegleyESPN Staff Writer

    The Knicks will hire Jeff Hornacek as their next head coach, a league source confirmed to ESPN. First reported by Bleacher Report.

    Just saw this...this is going to be kind of interesting. Can't see a real silver lining besides him getting Phx off to a get start initially then flaming out. I guess at least he's not Rambis(although his hire is a package)
    Last edited by Broadway; May 18, 2016 at 20:12.

  3. #3
    Veteran DontForgetDerekHarper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,276
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Broadway
    Just saw this...this is going to be kind of interesting. Can't see a real silver lining besides him getting Phx off to a get start initially then flaming out

    he didnt flame out at all

    they completely overhauled the entire team. he had dragic playing into the contract he currently has only for him to demand a trade because they had too many point guards.

    eric bledsoe injured
    brandon knight injured

    they sign chandler past his prime

    that suns team had no business winning 48 games that year and then they literally dismantled that entire squad the next two years.
    The thing I love the most about our team, is we don't ever seem afraid

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,472
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    he didnt flame out at all

    they completely overhauled the entire team. he had dragic playing into the contract he currently has only for him to demand a trade because they had too many point guards.

    eric bledsoe injured
    brandon knight injured

    they sign chandler past his prime

    that suns team had no business winning 48 games that year and then they literally dismantled that entire squad the next two years.

    Naaaaaahhhh man he flamed out, he did have some injuries to deal with but that's not a legit excuse. Bulls injuries, Hornets injuries, Heat injuries and lots of overhauling still were successful. Suns back-to-back lotto that's flaming out after winning 48gms.
    Last edited by Broadway; May 18, 2016 at 20:19.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,636
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I have so many questions. Does hiring Hornacek mean we are changing our offensive philosophy? Does hiring Hornacek mean we chose him over Vogel and Blatt or does it mean neither Vogel nor Blatt wanted to come here? Did Melo push for PJ to hire someone, anyone, other than Rambis for the head coaching job and this was the best available compromise? Is this even a PJ hire or is this a sign that PJ has lost his autonomy for decision making for this franchise?

    Probably never going to know the answers to some of those questions, at least not in the immediate future.

  6. #6
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,797
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    After losing out on Thibs, I was fine with either Vogel, Hornachek, or Blatt. All 3 were solid albeit somewhat flawed candidates. I was even fine with Rambis, if it meant PJax was more involved with Xs & Os.

    Jeff should've received a Nobel Prize for having that PHO team in playoff contention in the WC...

    Blaming JH for the mounting Ls would be akin to saying Thibs could never get his team over the playoff hump and take his potent regular season to an NBA Finals (unlike Stan "the man" Van Gundy).

    Mike Woodsen did a decent job.... Other than that, most NYK HCs since JVG have been rotten.

    Nothing matters if we don't improve our G play. Jeff is a system coach... Not a triangle guy per se, but is a believer in unity and fluidity and movement... Not ISO and P&R...

  7. #7
    Veteran tiger0330's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,003
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    He must have blown the socks off of Phil with his interview because he's had no connection with Phil in the past.

    I'm going to guess he's going to run some sort of motion offense but not a strict triangle offense though he probably had answers to Phil's questions about integrating the triangle into his offensive philosophy. He's more known as a players coach who is more offensive oriented than a defensive coach but his teams can play defense.

    I think Hornacek won't run a strict triangle offense because I think PJ would have more respect for a coach that demanded to run his own system. But let's see what happens to Rambis, if he becomes the lead asst, maybe PJ and him agreed Rambis would run the offense and teach him the triangle.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,472
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by mafra
    After losing out on Thibs, I was fine with either Vogel, Hornachek, or Blatt. All 3 were solid albeit somewhat flawed candidates. I was even fine with Rambis, if it meant PJax was more involved with Xs & Os.

    Jeff should've received a Nobel Prize for having that PHO team in playoff contention in the WC...

    Blaming JH for the mounting Ls would be akin to saying Thibs could never get his team over the playoff hump and take his potent regular season to an NBA Finals (unlike Stan "the man" Van Gundy).

    Mike Woodsen did a decent job.... Other than that, most NYK HCs since JVG have been rotten.

    Nothing matters if we don't improve our G play. Jeff is a system coach... Not a triangle guy per se, but is a believer in unity and fluidity and movement... Not ISO and P&R...

    So in other words it didn't really matter who we interviewed or who we hired you were going to support it. Okay

    But back to Phx they started sputtering back half of season his second yr right before the trade deadline. He at one point had Dragic/Bledsoe/Thomas(name a better trio collection of individual guards than these 3) but fans were wondering what the heck they were doing with all those guards. So they traded Thomas along with Dragic got back Knight and all of sudden they did too much roster tinkering? Every move they made during his tenure honestly was about a wash. He didn't even play Booker until all the guards were injured. Earl Watson basically developed Booker.

    As if we have the talent now on our squad as they had then...competing in an ever improving Eastern Conference. It's not so much Phx record either vs what kind of player development imprint/foundation did he leave there? Like what was Phx known for his whole time there? So what do we hang our hat on with Hornacek? He was a heckuva player though and I'm sure he knows the game, but still.
    Last edited by Broadway; May 18, 2016 at 21:59.

  9. #9
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,797
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by Broadway
    So in other words it didn't really matter who we interviewed or who we hired you were going to support it. Okay

    But back to Phx they started sputtering back half of season his second yr right before the trade deadline. He at one point had Dragic/Bledsoe/Thomas(name a better trio collection of individual guards than these 3) but fans were wondering what the heck they were doing with all those guards. So they traded Thomas along with Dragic got back Knight and all of sudden they did too much roster tinkering? Every move they made during his tenure honestly was about a wash. He didn't even play Booker until all the guards were injured. Earl Watson basically developed Booker.

    As if we have the talent now on our squad as they had then...competing in an ever improving Eastern Conference. It's not so much Phx record either vs what kind of player development imprint/foundation did he leave there? Like what was Phx known for his whole time there? So what do we hang our hat on with Hornacek? He was a heckuva player though and I'm sure he knows the game but still.
    Hornachek had no control over roster moves... PHO front office starting tinkering and ruined the chemistry JH built.

    Sure, I'm cool with whatever coaching hire b/c all the options were equally bland. And since the decision doesn't put cash in my bank account, how does it serve me to get rankled?

    PHO probably had a better roster than ours, b/c their strength were guards... But the West a couple seasons ago much better than EC this season.

    I probably preferred Thibs, Blatt, Vogel all before JH... But this is the NBA and you need players... Especially guards... So getting worked up one way or another over the HC is foolish. Blatt is ten times better coach than Lui but look at CLE now.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,907
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Originally Posted by htr10
    I have so many questions. Does hiring Hornacek mean we are changing our offensive philosophy? Does hiring Hornacek mean we chose him over Vogel and Blatt or does it mean neither Vogel nor Blatt wanted to come here? Did Melo push for PJ to hire someone, anyone, other than Rambis for the head coaching job and this was the best available compromise? Is this even a PJ hire or is this a sign that PJ has lost his autonomy for decision making for this franchise?

    Probably never going to know the answers to some of those questions, at least not in the immediate future.

    I would rather Jeff Hornacek over Rambis every day of the week.
    Will Hornacek force Phil to trade Calderon in offseason?

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,472
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by mafra
    Hornachek had no control over roster moves... PHO front office starting tinkering and ruined the chemistry JH built.

    Sure, I'm cool with whatever coaching hire b/c all the options were equally bland. And since the decision doesn't put cash in my bank account, how does it serve me to get rankled?

    PHO probably had a better roster than ours, b/c their strength were guards... But the West a couple seasons ago much better than EC this season.

    I probably preferred Thibs, Blatt, Vogel all before JH... But this is the NBA and you need players... Especially guards... So getting worked up one way or another over the HC is foolish. Blatt is ten times better coach than Lui but look at CLE now.

    If Hornacek was that guy we would have clamored for him back at the very beginning of February when he was fired. He was really on no one's radar, let's stop the dog and pony show here. Phil only recently contacted him like a week or two ago. Matter of fact seems like he got connected with him after he interviewed with Sacramento, like "oh yeah I forgot you're available too."

    He's probably a good dude, has knowledge of the game but there is a lot involved in being a head coach especially with a team "WHO'LL PROBABLY HAVE AS MUCH ROSTER TURNOVER SIMILAR TO PHX" not to mention learning and implementing the triangle to Phil's satisfaction...not sure about this sell mafra. Everything is not meant to be sold.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,907
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Originally Posted by mafra
    Hornachek had no control over roster moves... PHO front office starting tinkering and ruined the chemistry JH built.

    The Knicks front-office been controlling our rotation for decades .. Thas why Pat Riley quit on us back in the daze
    Being a Knick fan u have to worry about .. will Hornacek do the $20M for two year service too

  13. #13
    Veteran tiger0330's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,003
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Can't wait for the presser. That's the first question that's going to be asked "What happens to the triangle offense"?

    People that wanted to dump it may have hope yet because no one thought PJ would hire someone not in the triangle Mafia.

  14. #14
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,797
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by Broadway
    If Hornacek was that guy we would have clamored for him back at the very beginning of February when he was fired. He was really on no one's radar, let's stop the dog and pony show here. Phil only recently contacted him like a week or two ago. Matter of fact seems like he got connected with him after he interviewed with Sacramento, like "oh yeah I forgot you're available too."

    He's probably a good dude, has knowledge of the game but there is a lot involved in being a head coach especially with a team "WHO'LL PROBABLY HAVE AS MUCH ROSTER TURNOVER SIMILAR TO PHX" not to mention learning and implementing the triangle to Phil's satisfaction...not sure about this sell mafra. Everything is not meant to be sold.
    Not sure what you're inferring with the generic cliche (dog and pony show)... Nobody is throwing a parade bc a major coup just occurred. Howard Beck was fine with the decision.

    If we hire Rambis, PJax is accused of being narrow-minded and only plucking fruit from his own tree... Just last week or so, NYK getting killed for not looking outside comfort zone... As many said we were rubber stamping the Rambis hire.

    Now we go outside the box, and we blast the decision bc he wasn't on anybody's radar? I could care less about what's on another's radar.

    To me, Vogel, Blatt, Rambis, Shaw, JH, Ewing, MJax, even Walton... All were just meh hires. So, either way... Big whoppie doo... Ergo, I was fine either way.

    I wanted Thibs but I'm not going to get all emotional over these things.

    Either we get talent (and guards) or we start planning on our lottery pick next year.

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,472
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by mafra
    Not sure what you're inferring with the generic cliche (dog and pony show)... Nobody is throwing a parade bc a major coup just occurred. Howard Beck was fine with the decision.

    If we hire Rambis, PJax is accused of being narrow-minded and only plucking fruit from his own tree... Just last week or so, NYK getting killed for not looking outside comfort zone... As many said we were rubber stamping the Rambis hire.

    Now we go outside the box, and we blast the decision bc he wasn't on anybody's radar? I could care less about what's on another's radar.

    To me, Vogel, Blatt, Rambis, Shaw, JH, Ewing, MJax, even Walton... All were just meh hires. So, either way... Big whoppie doo... Ergo, I was fine either way.

    I wanted Thibs but I'm not going to get all emotional over these things.

    Either we get talent (and guards) or we start planning on our lottery pick next year.
    I would be okay with the hire if Phil wasn't here and we were a younger team. Blatt kind of made sense of who we interviewed but I like you was hoping for Thibs then Vogel once he became available. Just seems like Hornacek wasn't a primary choice. I think we didn't get Vogel because he knows Memphis and Orlando are calling, currently both better situations.
    Last edited by Broadway; May 18, 2016 at 23:02.

Similar Threads

  1. The Knicks Head Coach Update
    By Kiyaman in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 21, 2016, 20:35
  2. Knicks Head Coach 2012/2013
    By Uncle Robo in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: May 07, 2012, 05:24
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: Apr 27, 2008, 13:23
  4. Ewing as Head coach for the Knicks?
    By chaos147 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Mar 04, 2008, 16:34
  5. Phil Jackson next knicks head coach?
    By Hoagies99 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jun 25, 2004, 15:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •