Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are season tickets a good investment?

Originally Posted by CasperTheNYKFan
    thanks for the feedback. i'm thinking of dropping some cash on the 'throwaway' NY liberty tickets so that i can cut the line for new knicks subscribers. i'll let everyone know how it progresses.

as long as i can make my money back at the end of the season, then its all worth it.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

here is the actual new pricing chart.
    Last edited by NY_Swagger; Mar 12, 2011 at 16:14.

Just got my package in the mail today detailing the playoffs and next season.

My seats (2) are in section 133. For the playoffs the prices go up as the team advances. Round one: from $79 per to $130 per, round 2 is $145 per, round 3 is $215 per, and round 4 is $295 a seat.

You can either pay by round, or pay the total up front ($6300 and some change) and whatever games are left over can either go towards your balance if you renew next season, or they refund it.

And next year my seat package is going from a little over 7 grand to a little over 8 grand.

I'll probably keep the seats and start selling more tix next season. I have $500 in the account from some tix that I sold (1 game pre-Melo and 2 post-Melo) and I saw seats in my section going for $400 a pop for the Lakers game.

So yea, if I'd drop that deposit to get on the list and take those Liberty Tix and flip 'em or donate 'em. The way they set up the Ticket Exchange (if you sell your tix right from your account screen online) is that they build in a profit...at least from what I've seen. My tix were $79 per, in the package, but when I sold them online thru MSG, the lowest I could make them was $87...which is still less than the box office price, but more than what they cost individually in the tix package.

Hope this helps. Good luck man.

thanks for all the insight and thanks especially for the 2011-12 pricing sheet. the prices seem steep but definitely not as bad as i initially expected. i'm definitely gonna go for a subscription next year.

Maybe i can get on the list AND save some money next year with the impending lockout. Ticket rep said that all games not played due to the lockout will be refunded.

ESPN article on the Knicks raising season ticket prices:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Knicks tickets to see 'significant' hike
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> jQuery.getScriptCache('http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/c/?js=espn.tools.r4.js', function() { espn.core.init.tools('6206820','http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6206820'); });</SCRIPT><CITE class=source>By Ian Begley
    Special to ESPNNewYork.com
    </CITE><!-- begin story body -->
    NEW YORK -- If you want to purchase season tickets to watch [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and the new-look [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] play next season, you're going to have to pony up.
    Madison Square Garden announced Friday that the price of Knicks season tickets will increase by an average of 49 percent for the 2011-2012 season.
    The price for [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] season tickets will increase by an average of 23 percent next season.

But the Garden will not sell personal seat licenses in the arena.
    <!-- begin inline 1 --><!-- INLINE MODULE -->
    The [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] sold the controversial PSL -- a one-time fee to purchase a license for a seat in the stadium -- for seats in the New Meadowlands Stadium, which opened in 2010.
    The Garden is undergoing a three-year planned reconstruction. The first phase of the reconstruction -- reconfigured seating in the arena's lower bowl, an expanded lower concourse and the addition of suites -- is planned to debut next season.
    Scott O'Neil, president of MSG Sports, said the resulting amenities associated with the arena's ongoing remodeling were a main factor for the "significant" price increase.

O'Neil said the Knicks' recent acquisition of Anthony did not play a role in the increase, but "anticipated team performance" was a factor.
    The Knicks acquired All-Star [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] during the summer, signing him to a five-year, $100 million contract. They completed a trade with the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] for Anthony on Feb. 22.

The Knicks, who haven't qualified for the postseason since 2004, are in sixth place in the Eastern Conference, with 20 games left in the regular season.
    <!-- begin inline 2 -->
    <!-- end inline 2 -->

O'Neil said that team performance or anticipated team performance is a factor that is "highly weighted" in the decision to set ticket prices.
    "The [arena's three-year] transformation is the dominant reason why prices are where they are. There are several different factors," O'Neil said. "But these prices were made before Carmelo came."
    Season tickets will be offered at 20 different price points for Knicks fans, with seats starting at $35 per game. The most expensive seat in the house -- which currently sells for $3,000 -- will increase to $3,600 next season, according to O'Neil. The team did not release any other ticket prices. They have not stated prices for individual seats.
    The steepest increase in prices will be applied to the best seats in the house.

Prices for nearly one-fourth of the seats in the Garden will increase by at least 50 percent.

The biggest increase for Knicks tickets -- 173 percent -- will be applied to 40 seats in sections closest to the floor. And prices for 1,238 seats in premier sections will increase by 100 percent. Prices for nearly half of the arena's season tickets will increase by 15 percent or less; 10 percent of seats will increase by less than 5 percent; and 1,088 seats will not change prices for next season. They actually may decrease, the team said.

Tickets will be offered at 17 different price points for Rangers fans, with the least expensive seat selling for $39 per game.

The biggest increase for Rangers tickets -- a 198 percent addition -- will be applied to 32 seats in the sections closest to the ice.
    Rates for 11 percent of seats in the closest sections to the ice will be raised 50 percent or more. The remaining 11,789 seats in the building will increase 10 percent or less.
    Certain seating packages will include amenities such as all-inclusive dining and views of athletes entering and exiting the arena. Pricing for seats without such amenities will increase by an average of 28 percent for Knicks tickets and 13 percent for Rangers tickets.
    O'Neil said that Madison Square Garden studied and consulted with other teams who have recently opened new complexes. Garden staffers also polled fans for their input on ticket policies and seating preferences in the new arena.
    There was significant public backlash over the New York Yankees' initial ticket prices in 2009, the year the team opened its new ballpark.
    Twelve days after the Yankees opened the park, they slashed prices to some of the most expensive seats in half. Many of the seats -- priced around $2,500 -- went unsold.
    The Knicks have the second-highest average ticket price in the NBA this season at $88.66, according to Reuters. The defending champion Los Angeles Lakers have the highest average ticket price at $99.25.
    As part of the first phase of the reconstruction, sections up to the 200 level will be combined into a cohesive lower bowl of seating, eliminating the walkway between sections. There will be fewer seats in the new lower level than are currently available in the arena (670 for Knicks games, 530 for Rangers games).

But O'Neil said that all fans holding season tickets in the lower level will be able to purchase seats in the lower level in the new arena because the seats lost were not sold as season tickets.
    "We're doing everything we can to make this a smooth transition," O'Neil said. No fans will have the exact same vantage point if they choose to purchase the same seat they have in the current arena, with each seat shifting slightly.

Seats will be sold on an "early-bird special" beginning April 4.
    "I hope there's not sticker shock here," O'Neil said. "We believe that it's a fair value here -- with the increased amenities that you're going to get in the new building."
    Ian Begley is a regular contributor to ESPNNewYork.com.
    <!--columnistprofile is null--><!-- begley_ian--><!-- end story body --><!-- begin sponsored links -->

have any current subscribers received a timeframe for renewals for next season? is there a deadline to renew? just wondering when/if they will get to the new subscribers..

have any current subscribers received a timeframe for renewals for next season? is there a deadline to renew? just wondering when/if they will get to the new subscribers..
    Playoff tickets deadline was yesterday. Renewal for next year deadline is April 8th.

Default Yes ...

I have had My tickets for 4 years and this is the 1st year I was able to recoup my money plus I have the Playoff rights so if I had to put a number I should be able to make double back with melo n Amare Here so My 5,500 investment should net me anywhere btw 8-12 Grand. So I make 3,000 for my pocket and get to see every game for Free Awesome....

If you can get them get them but, you wont get them sooooo sorry I already tried to get 2 more and the wait list is like 6,000 people. GOOD LUCK

Veteran

They are only an investment when the team is winning, or when a team with stars are playing against the Knicks ( such as the Lakers, Celtics, The Heat, etc).

I had season tickets last year and I couldn't sell one game, I couldn't even give them away for free...in front of MSG.

Now we have Stat and Mello, but if they keep losing the price will not be worth it.

Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    They are only an investment when the team is winning, or when a team with stars are playing against the Knicks ( such as the Lakers, Celtics, The Heat, etc).

I had season tickets last year and I couldn't sell one game, I couldn't even give them away for free...in front of MSG.

Now we have Stat and Mello, but if they keep losing the price will not be worth it.
    I don't know about that...I just sold two tickets for the Cavs game on the 3rd for $113 per seat.

Of course the tickets will be more valuable if the team is winning, but I think having STAT and Melo is kind of boosting sales right now.

Veteran

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    I don't know about that...I just sold two tickets for the Cavs game on the 3rd for $113 per seat.

Of course the tickets will be more valuable if the team is winning, but I think having STAT and Melo is kind of boosting sales right now.
    sweet, can't say you were lucky because there are many fans with deep pockets, but when the nose bleed seats cost about a buck and the team is struggling the way they are...no one really wants to pay to hear the boo birds.

If you own a biz (like a vender) the tickets can have even more value, as you can use them for preks to boost or land more accounts. So yeah, just imagine if they were playing to their potential. cha-ching...

any news on current or new subscribers for the 2011-2012 season? (assuming they even have a session) have they had issues relocating seats due to the new configuration?

any news on current or new subscribers for the 2011-2012 season? (assuming they even have a session) have they had issues relocating seats due to the new configuration?
    I tried to upgrade my seats, and there were no upgrades available. 95% of season ticket holders renewed, and upgrades go according to tenure, so since I only had seats for one season -- I was at the bottom of the list.

My seats were moved a bit because of the reconfiguration, but it's still pretty much the same eye-line to the court. There MIGHT be a few packages left in the 300 sections, but I dunno. My upgrade request was answered on July 21st, so who knows what happened in the last month.

Damnnn i envy some of you guys. i was going to pick up season tickets a yr ago when there was a surplus of tickets but I got talked into not spending 7gs...now whoever did is looking to see money back n some great games. Guess anyones only shot now is to pay for those VIP waiting list and hope but def DO IT!!! before we land another big name and the renovation finishes because then Dolan will really be raping you. It was sad enough that Knicks tickets were some of the most expensive tickets in all the NBA even throughout 10 losing seasons, if we get cp3 and phil jackson fuggedaboudid...

I had enrolled as a NY Liberty season subscriber in March to get on the knicks VIP waiting list and i'm happy to report that it WORKED!

Finally got a call from the Knicks today offering me a season ticket package! it's a pair of seats in either the 400s (row E) or 300s (row 5). i opted for the 300s.

now we'll have to see if there's even a 2011-12 season...

fellow season ticketholders -- did everyone receive their tickets for the year? mine finally posted today to my online account. will you be attending every game and do you hope to sell some of the good ones that you won't be able to attend?