Troy Murphy..Perfect Role Player for Knicks?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
After nearly two months of trying to find a trade for him, the New Jersey Nets are near an agreement to send Troy Murphy to the Golden State Warriors for Brandan Wright and Dan Gadzuric, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The trade is expected to be completed on Wednesday, but could still become larger with the inclusion of Nets point guard Devin Harris into a three-team package – most likely with Portland or Dallas, sources said.

The Warriors, who would also receive a 2012 second-round pick from the Nets, will buy out the remainder of the $12 million owed Murphy in the final year of his contract and allow him to become a free agent.

Murphy, a 6-foot-11 forward, has the interest of several playoff contenders, including Orlando, Dallas, Miami and Boston, sources said. His 3-point range and size make him attractive to playoff teams.”

Career 639 29.0 4.3-9.6 .446 0.9-2.3 .391 2.4-3.0 .784 8.5 1.6 0.4 0.7 2.7 1.3 11.8

Looks like Troy Murphy will be available shortly as he is probably going to be bought out after being traded to GS. The guy can rebound, shoot the 3 and run the floor(decently). He played poorly this year but with a new start on a team like NY in our system playing alongside proven winners like Billiups, Amare and Melo I think he could be a great pickup. I think we could get him for cheap. He would not have to move to a new market and may like the idea to reinvent himself in NYC.

Last edited:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Crazy⑧s;160761 said:
What sort of contracts can we offer him?

We are over cap prob part or all of the MLE. I am not a capologist so forgive me if that won't work. I do think he would fit nicely in our system and add some much needed size and depth.

mafra

Legend
Troy Murphy is D'antoni's dream center. Well, maybe Bargnani. But Murphy has that skill set: Tall and shoots the 3. He does rebound. He offers nothing in terms of interior post defense, but he's better than nothing.

Turiaf, Shelden Williams and Troy Murphy would definitely suffice, and keep him from going to MIA.

Our options are limited. If we can grab him... do it. I would prefer Dalembert, but would take TM over Earl Barron.

StarksOverJordan

Benchwarmer
I can see Murphy joining the Knicks for cheap just to spite the Nets and the Evil Mikheal. Imagine if we could get Troy and Dalembert and only have to give up Turiaf and a couple of expiring contracts (Carter, Azu). WOW

STAT1

Starter
I think we have enough shooters what we need is a defensive C if we're targetting a role player. MDA would love him though.

jpz17

Starter
no, lets go with young players for our role playing positions. don't go back to the isiah type moves...

la2ny

Starter
Also we can get him for cheap. He just wants to be on a playoff team. And we have two options for him, either Veterans Minimum or MLE. i feel he and Barron would be decent for the rest of the year, but he, Barron, and Dalembert would make me jizz my shorts.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah let's sign HIM and BARRON to minimum contracts for the rest of this season...is that possible? It'd at least give us some size up front, which, even if Troy Murphy is soft, is desperately needed.

Murphy is a good shooter who can rebound. His ability to score from the perimeter would make him valuable cause Melo and Amar'e can kick the ball out to him. We need rebounding, as we all know.

Barron on the minimum for the rest of the season...I don't see why not? You can exceed the salary cap to sign a player to a minimum contract, and he played well in D'Antoni's system. It's not like we can run Turiaf out there for 40 minutes, and unless you want 6'9" Shelden Williams manning the Center position, let's get Barron and Troy Murphy.

FFS we're not going to win a championship when we only outrebound the Bucks by 3. We need a good rebounder at the PF/C position and STAT has some nights where he doesn't get CRAP. Troy Murphy is a consistent player who can do for us what David Lee is doing for the Warriors - scoring ~12 points a game and grabbing ~9 rebounds a game. With us he could score ZERO points for all I care as long as he grabs boards. He's not tough on defense but I still think he'd be better on defense than 6'9" Shawne Williams