Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: upcoming FA

Originally Posted by vrgadin
    well i dont get it, whats the point of signing melo? we dont have a complete team, and cant afford one now. and how the hell did boston and miami do it?

there has to be a way, cause all the media keeps talking about is how melo and stat will attract other stars, why would they say this if its not possible?
    I was thinking the same thing. Ofcourse, there will be a new CBA next year so we dont know for sure we wont be able to get another max like CP3, but it looks highly doubtful.

Its funny because without A'mare we probably wouldnt of got Melo but it will also be A'mare's contract that will prevent us from getting CP3. Not that I dont like A'mare, because I definatley do and have respect for him being the first star to come here but Melo is a better player and would rather have Melo and CP3 instead of A'mare and Melo.

Hopefully there is a way to get it done, whether they let Melo and STAT re-negotioate there contracts or they get grandfathered in, I dont know but still have hope we can get an elite PG like CP3.

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    No. We have our first rounder this year. Well, Houston has the right to swap picks with us, but we will most likely have a better record, so they'll keep theirs.

We don't have a pick in 2012 and 2014.
    Ok thats right, thanks for the info.

Hopefully we can get a solid PG or C to help round out our roster, or get a really good player regardless of position and be able to package him in a deal for CP3, that is if it would even be possible under the new CBA.

Veteran

Nyk Logo

Originally Posted by PaPZ187
    I was thinking the same thing. Ofcourse, there will be a new CBA next year so we dont know for sure we wont be able to get another max like CP3, but it looks highly doubtful.

Its funny because without A'mare we probably wouldnt of got Melo but it will also be A'mare's contract that will prevent us from getting CP3. Not that I dont like A'mare, because I definatley do and have respect for him being the first star to come here but Melo is a better player and would rather have Melo and CP3 instead of A'mare and Melo.

Hopefully there is a way to get it done, whether they let Melo and STAT re-negotioate there contracts or they get grandfathered in, I dont know but still have hope we can get an elite PG like CP3.
    if the cap stays the same with only 41mil commites for 2012 we can get a CP3..if the cap is decreased.. it will decrease for all tems.. meaing CP3 will have to stay in NO or take a pay cut... most teams will have about 40mil commited in 2012.. so let say the cap is 50 mil.. CP# would have to take a cut from anyteam he goes to

Realistically we will only have enough cap space to sign minimum salary veterans, unless the new CBA includes a MLE clause, which I hear they may be doing away with. We should probably try to focus on possible options that might want to play in NY for a run at a title next year for cheap. Guys like Nene, Gasol, Jordan, etc. won't be attainable unless the cap goes up by a significant margin.

Question Mark

Originally Posted by la2ny
    Also it was stated that if there is a hard cap it will be around 70 mill.
    What!?

Where did you hear that?

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    What!?

Where did you hear that?
    Everyone thats knows of the tallks said it isn't possible that a hard cap is imposed unless it makes the cap figure go up. It's just not realistic because everyone in the NBA would be over the cap then. So they said it will be where the Luxury tax threshold is at not. Which is about 70 million. If that happens then we are gravy. If not I don't expect it to be much different than it is now.

Depending on the CBA situation we really may not be able to sign CP3 unless Amare and Carmelo restructure their contracts to allow him to sign. If Deron Williams doesn't re sign in NJ and both CP3 and Williams want to be a Knick then we might be lucky enough to have a reverse bidding war to see which would one of them would sign for less. But even if we got CP3, im wondering if it would be better to be like the heat with a big 3 and a bunch of nobodys, or just stick with melo and amare and add good contributing role players with whatever cap space we may have left.

Superstar

Guys relax. Even if they go hard cap, they will grandfather current contracts, which is the reason why we should be glad we have Melo now. I think we are jumping to conclusions that we won't be able to get anyone.