Revenge & Evolution: Knicks @ Cavs 2-25-11

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
So, the fact that this current GM and Coach inherited the mess that Isiah left. They essentially tanked 2 seasons to shed these contracts and within 3 years was able to get rid of all the bad contracts and this is actually the first year that D'Antoni is able to bring in players... Not to mention that they made a blockbuster mega trade smack in the middle of the season.... Also, this team has played together twice and practiced together once.... And lastly, they (Walsh and D'Antoni) made it very clear that they realize they are small because of the recent trades and that they need to make a few more moves to solidify this roster and they plan on brining in another star... Depsite all this you still feel that after the lost to the Cavs, it is time to make a coaching change????? Thank GOD you are not the GM of a pee wee team never mind the Knicks!!!! Knee Jerk reactions like that is what prevents a team from ever finding success!
It's not only about that last loss to the Cavs, it's about the entire 10/11 season, about our attitude and manner of managing the organization, about all those decisions that have been made and excuses that have been given. We started this season with a solid roster, with many young and talented players. We expected a lot but all what we heard after several weeks and shameful losses was "we will solve our internal problems, things will get worked out and we will improve" and we believed they really will. Unfortunately it didn't happen and then that trade roundabout started stiring. To be honest, I was strongly against the trade, we did not need another small forward, even if he's a superstar, we played well enough offensively with Gallo and Wilson on our team. What we did need was a center and a point guard, some experienced guys that would care about our defense. Mike needed this trade to prove that things are not going well because we need to add another superstar to carry the responsibility, that's just another excuse, nothing more and nothing less.

KingofNy

Starter
How's that the coaches fault???

Because his defensive playbook/playcalling sucks and his choice of rotation is terrible. The worse part is he actually thinks he's smart at D (so smart that he doesn't even need a REAL D coordinator, he just has his bro come and hang out). That is the biggest problem. All of D'Antoni's assistants (Phil Weber, Dan D'Antoni, Kenny Atkinson) minus Herb all got their fame from their stint in Phoenix where they had the worst D in the league as well.

O'Antoni sacrifices defense for offense every single game. This basically results in a loss unless our team is hitting our shots. Look at our FG% and rebounding in the games we won compared to the games we lost. If we're not getting second shots and hitting the shots we take we're always going to lose. The great teams are GREAT because they can win when they're not hitting their shots and the boards aren't falling their way because they have a coach that UNDERSTANDS defense and implements the correct rotations/playcalls...

In general, WE NEED A REAL DEFENSIVE ASSISTANT TO TAKE THE REIGNS OR FIRE O'ANTONI! Those are our ONLY two options. Everyone who is getting mad at Barkley for talking sh*t about us should stop. We need the media to get on board and to push out the fact that our D sucks SOLELY because our coach doesn't coach D. We all know it but most choose not to believe it matters or the fact that it's true. It is true. D wins championships. If we want a championship our coach needs to coach D, not just O. When is the last time you saw O'Antoni mad at a player over not fighting through screens, not boxing out, or blowing their assignment? I've never seen it and I watch every game through a microscope. The latter is not the same for a player or ref messing up on offense, he'll blow a gasket. I seriously think there's no hope for this guy.

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter
pay this son of a %$@!&* off and move on.. Dolan has enough money to waste..

I hate to say it but i hope Isaih.. yeah isaih..... is telling dolan to get rid of this dude...

and i hope Jim's listening on this one

I think we need to be resigned to the fact that MDA is DW's guy, so that's who he's gonna roll with for better or worse. The only way I see MDA getting fired is if this team fails to make the playoffs this year.

KingofNy

Starter
I think we need to be resigned to the fact that MDA is DW's guy, so that's who he's gonna roll with for better or worse. The only way I see MDA getting fired is if this team fails to make the playoffs this year.

I would hate to see that but I won't be too sad because I agree that the only way for us to fire MOA is for us not to make the playoffs. It shouldn't be like that though because it's not like it's real hard to make the playoffs in the east.

moneyg

Starter
I would hate to see that but I won't be too sad because I agree that the only way for us to fire MOA is for us not to make the playoffs. It shouldn't be like that though because it's not like it's real hard to make the playoffs in the east.

walsh has been on record saying that he prefers a defensive lineup.. and a conventioanl big man.. like he had in indiana..

if walsh is letting this coach run the show.. then he needs to go..

maybe thats why his contract has not been extended..

if walsh goes...o'antoni will follow

KingofNy

Starter
So, the fact that this current GM and Coach inherited the mess that Isiah left. They essentially tanked 2 seasons to shed these contracts and within 3 years was able to get rid of all the bad contracts and this is actually the first year that D'Antoni is able to bring in players... Not to mention that they made a blockbuster mega trade smack in the middle of the season.... Also, this team has played together twice and practiced together once.... And lastly, they (Walsh and D'Antoni) made it very clear that they realize they are small because of the recent trades and that they need to make a few more moves to solidify this roster and they plan on brining in another star... Depsite all this you still feel that after the lost to the Cavs, it is time to make a coaching change????? Thank GOD you are not the GM of a pee wee team never mind the Knicks!!!! Knee Jerk reactions like that is what prevents a team from ever finding success!

Q: When has anyone in our coaching staff ever had a top-20 defense in the NBA?

A: NEVER

Each year MOA coaches this team is another year wasted. Defense wins championships. Period. That same philosophy pretty much works in every sport.

When is the last time a high powered offense without a good defense won a championship in any sport? The best example is in the NFL. The last 4 teams in the conference finals were the top 4 leaders in D. What happened to the high powered offense Pats? They got stomped when it mattered because they had NO D. What happened to Phoenix the one year they made the Conference Finals?

They lost because they had no defense. With the way our team is set up we need to win now. I'm sure defensive players are scared to even come play here because of the fear MOA will outcast them and sentence them to an entire season of riding the bench. MOA needs to get fired after the season. That's just as important as us getting Amare and Melo.

KingofNy

Starter
walsh has been on record saying that he prefers a defensive lineup.. and a conventioanl big man.. like he had in indiana..

if walsh is letting this coach run the show.. then he needs to go..

maybe thats why his contract has not been extended..

if walsh goes...o'antoni will follow

Honestly I wouldn't mind if both of them go...as long as Wash isn't replaced by Isiah. We need a coach that coaches both O and D. O'Antoni's biggest problem is he doesn't care when we don't play D or rebound. It blatantly obvious. IMO he's not even a great offensive coach. If he was he would call plays that put our players in the right spots to get the offensive rebounds. I don't even remembering us getting an offensive rebound against Cleveland. I know we did but that's still sad.

On offense all MOA runs is the 1/4 and 1/5 pick and roll or we isolate Stat or Melo...That's it. it's not hard to average 106 points ppg when the coach has a small lineup in all game and basically has them running and gunning all game. IMO everyone is going to see how bad an offensive coach MOA is when he is forced to slow down our offense because of Billups and Melo. MOA can only coach one way and one set of players. Fast movers and scorers. He can't play the slow the game down and execute game. He just can't...And for that he needs to get out of NY!

Last edited:

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Because his defensive playbook/playcalling sucks and his choice of rotation is terrible. The worse part is he actually thinks he's smart at D (so smart that he doesn't even need a REAL D coordinator, he just has his bro come and hang out). That is the biggest problem. All of D'Antoni's assistants (Phil Weber, Dan D'Antoni, Kenny Atkinson) minus Herb all got their fame from their stint in Phoenix where they had the worst D in the league as well.

O'Antoni sacrifices defense for offense every single game. This basically results in a loss unless our team is hitting our shots. Look at our FG% and rebounding in the games we won compared to the games we lost. If we're not getting second shots and hitting the shots we take we're always going to lose. The great teams are GREAT because they can win when they're not hitting their shots and the boards aren't falling their way because they have a coach that UNDERSTANDS defense and implements the correct rotations/playcalls...

In general, WE NEED A REAL DEFENSIVE ASSISTANT TO TAKE THE REIGNS OR FIRE O'ANTONI! Those are our ONLY two options. Everyone who is getting mad at Barkley for talking sh*t about us should stop. We need the media to get on board and to push out the fact that our D sucks SOLELY because our coach doesn't coach D. We all know it but most choose not to believe it matters or the fact that it's true. It is true. D wins championships. If we want a championship our coach needs to coach D, not just O. When is the last time you saw O'Antoni mad at a player over not fighting through screens, not boxing out, or blowing their assignment? I've never seen it and I watch every game through a microscope. The latter is not the same for a player or ref messing up on offense, he'll blow a gasket. I seriously think there's no hope for this guy.

Not sure if you read my earlier post but I brought up Larry Brown... Here's a Coach that is defensive minded, proven system (Indiana, 76s, Bobcats) and could do squat for the Knicks because the roster sucked!!!!! A system is only as good as the players that it can incorporate. The difference between the "system" and the individual player is: Star players can go to almost any team and play their game with a slight adaptation to the current system at hand. The system though can not be affective unless you have the right individual players and the correct mix of players.A perfect example of this was Phoenix. The minute they traded Marion for Shaq who didn't fit the system, the system broke down and was less affective. Mike D'Antoni is not a defensive minded coach and his "system" is specifically an offensive heavy system but he does expect his players to defend and he does go over defensive schemes. Phil Jackson is the same way, his wining system is the triangle offense but he does expect his players to play D and he goes after players that are balanced. We on the other hand have 1 dimensional players... Melo and STAT, our 2 stars are the same player! I am concerned about this team but I don't blame the coach I blame the decision makers who are, at this point in time, building a 1 dimensional team not a balanced team like Boston, Miami or the Lakers... Now, they are telling us that they are not finished that everything they have done has been leading up to getting 2/3 stars... We have 2 now lets see who the 3rd is... If we go after a PG and do not address the more glaring need for a low post presence then we will see what we are seeing now, for the next 5 years.... Also, when I say low post presence I don't necessarily mean Dwight Howard although I think he's the logical choice... But we need someone to board!!! We need a re-bounder and we need a solid bench more than a super star max salary point guard.