Charles Barkley & Kenny Smith Partake In The KO.com Feud - DEFENSE

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Look for Top 5 Of Inside The NBA Pt. 3 in the TNT OT category.

http://www.nba.com/video/nbatv/

CHARLES-BARKLEY-thumb-537x356-27913.jpg

Barkley slanders D'Antoni and the Knicks' defensive approach and says - "they won't win a round in the playoffs".

dantonisigns.jpg

Let's get the debate underway:

Can the imbalance of offence outweighing defence be ultimately successful?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Yes, we can win a round, but after the performance against the Cavs, if we don't defend and rebound, we're gonna have to shoot everything under the sun.

Yes, we can win a round, but after the performance against the Cavs, if we don't defend and rebound, we're gonna have to shoot everything under the sun.
I was watching this on thursday during inside the NBA. And I thought to myself **** Charles Barkley he's just a knick hater anyway. But damn we sure made him look like a genius tonight. We've got to play better D than we did tonight and vs the Bucks.. We gave up 108 and 115 respectively to terrible offenses.. We couldn't stop them at all..

Last edited:
We have 2 Superstars now....time to get a decent coach!

D'Antoni doesn't have a clue on defense. I'm pissed because of all the easy games we lost this season simply because of no defense and no rebounding.

You have Shelden Williams on the bench, get outrebounded all night and don't play him....yeah right. Let's continue this 'Shawne Williams at center BS'.

D'Antoni has to go if we want to be a true contender simple as that. Even the addition of Chris Paul wouldn't turn us into a championship team under this coach.

tiger0330

Legend
D'Antoni guaranteed me that the team will average 146ppg in every playoff game, shoot 35 3s and make 60% of them, we don't need to play defense. :rolleyes:

Walsh got a wakeup call last night, first big in either Murphy or Pryzbilla that gets his buyout, sign ASAP or get Barron as plan B and bring in Jeffries. Also clean out some of that dead wood like Mason and Carter to make room.

Last edited:

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
charles barkley talks too much. what has he ever won?

I think we can win in the first round but to go any further we need to add some size and rebounding. If we do not add that to our arsenal then maybe we squeeze through on individual monster performances from melo, stat and billups.

Sage

Rotation player
Even the showtime Lakers could get a stop when they needed to, that's the difference. When we really REALLY need a stop, we can't... Or if we can, we give up an offensive rebound and shot clock reset.

Even the showtime Lakers could get a stop when they needed to, that's the difference. When we really REALLY need a stop, we can't... Or if we can, we give up an offensive rebound and shot clock reset.
What do you expect when we have a coach that doesn't teach defense

Sage

Rotation player
What do you expect when we have a coach that doesn't teach defense

I expect a coach that's good enough to get a job in the NBA can get the most out of his players on both ends of the floor. That's really not too much to expect.

Fine, you don't have individuals who are gonna make first team all defence, that's ok.. But come up with a plan for a team effort to get the most out of what you do well.

We need Jeff Van Gundy, it's as simple as that.

It wasn't by accident that he took us to the Finals in 99.

I don't claim our current roster is good enough for the finals (it is not), but with our own big 3 now we should be a 50 win team and make it to the Conference Semi Finals at least.

But if you don't play defense or rebound the ball....you won't win much.

jzero29

Rotation player
Saddly they are right. We can't win without defense. There is no way, we can always shoot good. basically the flaw in D'Antonie system is that,
yes, we can score and score big, on great shooting nights. but everynight isnt a great shooting night.

1. on bad shooting nights,no defense means it's an almost guaranteed loss.
2. Even when we're on(shooting), the games are close and the other team can scratch out a win.
3. shooting cold can happen anytime. Like in the 1st quarter leading to a lead that we cut down, but ultimately blow anyway.or in the 4th, where we blow a big lead. Or anytime during a game.

You need defense to win games when your team is having an off night offenseively. Thats how you win playoff basketball.

STAT1

Starter

To be fair, the showtime Lakers had 3 Hall of Famers on their team including 2 of the best players to ever play the game in Kareem & Magic. They also had 1 of the best defensive role players of alltime Michael Cooper. Also helped having a coach like Pat Riley at the helm.

IMO if the Knicks had a shotblocking C that could pull down rebounds, it would give us the final missing piece. We now have 2 stud offensive weapons that other teams won't be able to stop along with a big game shotmaking PG with championship experience & leadership skills, our next target needs to be on getting the defensive C that can start games. Turiaf is a nice role player to have but he's better off the bench as an energy hustle guy, he's not really a guy you can count on to grab you double digit rebounds on a given night. I think Kendrick Perkins, Deandre Jordan or Sam Dalembert should be the Knicks' main targets now that we have Melo in the fold, but if the cap situation prevents any of those guys as options, then we might have to lower our sights on going after another role player like Jeff Foster or Etan Thomas who could share the load with Turiaf and give us someone that can battle other teams' bigs downlow for position without getting easily outmuscled.

Sage

Rotation player
To be fair, the showtime Lakers had 3 Hall of Famers on their team including 2 of the best players to ever play the game in Kareem & Magic. They also had 1 of the best defensive role players of alltime Michael Cooper. Also helped having a coach like Pat Riley at the helm.

Completely get that, but they're the only winning team I can think of that I could even slightly compare our Knicks too.

Defense wins titles, seems everyone but MDT knows this.

STAT1

Starter
Completely get that, but they're the only winning team I can think of that I could even slightly compare our Knicks too.

Defense wins titles, seems everyone but MDT knows this.

No doubt about it every title team I can think of has had some excellent defensive players. We could really use a shutdown defensive guy, someone that can lock down on the other team's top offensive weapon & take him out of the equation for a stretch while we get some much needed stops. We don't have many options but still MDA can't be afraid to utilize guys like Balkman, Brewer & Shelden during games where we're getting out hustled like last night.

No doubt about it every title team I can think of has had some excellent defensive players. We could really use a shutdown defensive guy, someone that can lock down on the other team's top offensive weapon & take him out of the equation for a stretch while we get some much needed stops. We don't have many options but still MDA can't be afraid to utilize guys like Balkman, Brewer & Shelden during games where we're getting out hustled like last night.

Showtime had Cooper, Rambis and AC Green locking folks down. They all played a lot. Unlike anyone that plays defense "WELL" on our team...