Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 183

Thread: I'm beating a dead horse but Mike D is probably the problem

  1. #46
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    No you aren't (at least not from me).

    My statement is the players matter way more than the coach, hence when we get better defensive players we play better defense, to the surprise of nobody named KBlack25.
    I disagree. Reason being is there are only a few GREAT individual defenders in the NBA. Artest, Ariza to name two. Without hand checking defense has become more of a team accomplishment. It's too hard trying to stay in front of your man each and every possession.

    Last nights game we played excellent team defense. Which should be something that they're coached to do. BUT, we KNOW for a fact that this isnt MDA's strength.

    I wouldnt be surprised if it comes out that Billups and MELO kinda lead the defensive practice the day before. Or that MDA at least got some serious input from these guys.

    So if you look at it objectively you can see that it truly is the coaching or non coaching that leads to good or bad defensive play...

  2. #47
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    15

    Cool

    Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    I disagree. Reason being is there are only a few GREAT individual defenders in the NBA. Artest, Ariza to name two. Without hand checking defense has become more of a team accomplishment. It's too hard trying to stay in front of your man each and every possession.

    Last nights game we played excellent team defense. Which should be something that they're coached to do. BUT, we KNOW for a fact that this isnt MDA's strength.

    I wouldnt be surprised if it comes out that Billups and MELO kinda lead the defensive practice the day before. Or that MDA got some serious input from these guys.

    So if you look at it objectively you can see that it truly is the coaching or non coaching that leads to good or bad defensive play...
    "Don't give me this garbage about guys can't play defense. Defense comes down to the accountability of the COACHING STAFF"! -Hubie Brown

    Spin that motherf*ckers.

    You are welcme to use that quote in a sig from one of the games most respected, a true genius.

  3. #48
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    I disagree. Reason being is there are only a few GREAT individual defenders in the NBA. Artest, Ariza to name two. Without hand checking defense has become more of a team accomplishment. It's too hard trying to stay in front of your man each and every possession.

    Last nights game we played excellent team defense. Which should be something that they're coached to do. BUT, we KNOW for a fact that this isnt MDA's strength.

    I wouldnt be surprised if it comes out that Billups and MELO kinda lead the defensive practice the day before. Or that MDA at least got some serious input from these guys.

    So if you look at it objectively you can see that it truly is the coaching or non coaching that leads to good or bad defensive play...
    Right but there are good defensive players that are not "excellent" (Billups, Balkman, Anthony Carter)...we were previously loaded with weak defensive guys.

    If MDA got serious input from Billups, wouldn't that mean he DOES care about shoring up defense and adapting, which cuts against the argument that he, well, doesn't care about those things?

  4. #49
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    i'm listening to coach Hubie brown...on 1050espn.. and he flat out said..


    Look.... paraphrase "it is up to the coaching staff to force player into good defensive postion"..

    he went on to talk about defensive philosophies.. and situational assignments...

    he also stressed that when a player get beat...there has to be a strategy where to force certain players.. basline, etc...where is the help comin from...etc..

    and if player dont follow that scheme.. then you have to sit.. see boozer in chicago early in the year

    he also said thet you canhide bad defensive players on a team..if you have good strategy..

    now i trust Hubie more than any other guy in the leauge..

    anybody that disagrees is obviously related to O'antoni...
    Exactly what I was trying to say im my reply to Black...

  5. #50
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by Red
    "Don't give me this garbage about guys can't play defense. Defense comes down to the accountability of the COACHING STAFF"! -Hubie Brown

    Spin that motherf*ckers.

    You are welcme to use that quote in a sig from one of the games most respected, a true genius.

    Thats basically what I said...

  6. #51
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Things that do not surprise me:

    1. A longtime, famous coach talking about the merits and effects of coaching.

  7. #52
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    If MDA got serious input from Billups, wouldn't that mean he DOES care about shoring up defense and adapting, which cuts against the argument that he, well, doesn't care about those things?
    As Red says he probably really has no choice in the matter...

  8. #53
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    9

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Chauncey Billups is related to D'Antoni?

    billups is a professional.. he wont disrescpect his coach....even when he disagreed with Larry brown.. ok

    billups.. like he did when o'antoni jumped on douglas.. pulled TD to the side and showed him what he did wrong..

    screaming at a player and showin him what he did wrong are two different aspects..

    and O'anotini has a problem communicating defense to his players

    billups will talk out on the floor and that alone will make us a better defensive player..

    why would billups beat a dead horse.. when everybody in the league know this

  9. #54
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    9

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Right but there are good defensive players that are not "excellent" (Billups, Balkman, Anthony Carter)...we were previously loaded with weak defensive guys.

    If MDA got serious input from Billups, wouldn't that mean he DOES care about shoring up defense and adapting, which cuts against the argument that he, well, doesn't care about those things?

    that means he understand that if these vet... dont buy in.. and voice that upstairs.. he is a goner.. so it pays him to listen...

    we got O'antoni because we thought he would help us recruit players from team USA.. who has he helped us recruit...

    Amare almost didnt come because of him.. we have to give him 100mil to put up with O'antoni.. Melo was comin here with or without this coach.. aight

    as far as im concerned.. we got what we wanted from him.. rather did not get from him.. but though we would..

    soo he can go now,

  10. #55
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    570
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    that means he understand that if these vet... dont buy in.. and voice that upstairs.. he is a goner.. so it pays him to listen...

    we got O'antoni because we thought he would help us recruit players from team USA.. who has he helped us recruit...

    Amare almost didnt come because of him.. we have to give him 100mil to put up with O'antoni.. Melo was comin here with or without this coach.. aight

    as far as im concerned.. we got what we wanted from him.. rather did not get from him.. but though we would..

    soo he can go now,
    EXACTLY!! MDA is along for the ride at this point. It is Billup's way or the highway. Love Billups. He is the savior of this Knicks team at this point.

  11. #56
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    9

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by MusketeerX
    EXACTLY!! MDA is along for the ride at this point. It is Billup's way or the highway. Love Billups. He is the savior of this Knicks team at this point.
    agreed 100%

    i really like felton.. but billups is the real deal...and he got the legacy to prove it.. he is more accomplished than this coach and im sure O'antoni knows it...

    if this coach doesnt.. i can see player only practices..lol

  12. #57
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Things that do not surprise me:

    1. A longtime, famous coach talking about the merits and effects of coaching.
    Things that don't surprise me:

    1. A spin doctor trying to discount the Quote (since you love quotes) from one of the Most Respected basketball minds ever.

    2. Your lack of understanding his comments.

    Spin it how you want. Everyone knows wassup. Better players means MDA has no excuses now.

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    billups is a professional.. he wont disrescpect his coach....even when he disagreed with Larry brown.. ok

    billups.. like he did when o'antoni jumped on douglas.. pulled TD to the side and showed him what he did wrong..

    screaming at a player and showin him what he did wrong are two different aspects..

    and O'anotini has a problem communicating defense to his players

    billups will talk out on the floor and that alone will make us a better defensive player..

    why would billups beat a dead horse.. when everybody in the league know this
    Right now Billups has more credability than D'Antoni.

  13. #58
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Not trying to spin anything...here's a tip for you in the future:

    When you read a quote, think: what is that person's angle? Why are they saying the things they are saying?

    Its surprising because I know you can and do think about these things, look at the way you responded to the Billups quote. Its shocking to me how blindly biased you are, so biased you refuse to even acknowledge the bias. Hubie has an angle, as a coach do you expect him to sit there and say "Coacing isn't that important, its really on the players."?

    Billups has an angle as well, I just wish you would be fair and realize everyone has an angle and there are reasons why people say the things they do.


    As for moneyg - yikes. Wow. Any proof to the statement "Amare almost didn't come here because of D'antoni"? Or is this just more conjecture with no evidence or proof?

  14. #59
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    9

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Not trying to spin anything...here's a tip for you in the future:

    When you read a quote, think: what is that person's angle? Why are they saying the things they are saying?

    Its surprising because I know you can and do think about these things, look at the way you responded to the Billups quote. Its shocking to me how blindly biased you are, so biased you refuse to even acknowledge the bias. Hubie has an angle, as a coach do you expect him to sit there and say "Coacing isn't that important, its really on the players."?

    Billups has an angle as well, I just wish you would be fair and realize everyone has an angle and there are reasons why people say the things they do.


    As for moneyg - yikes. Wow. Any proof to the statement "Amare almost didn't come here because of D'antoni"? Or is this just more conjecture with no evidence or proof?

    o'antoni and Amare had a sitdown to squash their disagreements before he signed..... aight..

    go look it up urself.. if you followed this team.. you would know that...

  15. #60
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    o'antoni and Amare had a sitdown to squash their disagreements before he signed..... aight..

    go look it up urself.. if you followed this team.. you would know that...
    The same sitdown where afterwards Amare admitted whatever beef they had was a "result of his immaturity"? That sitdown? Where amare took the nlame for any problems between them? Yep his admission that he was immature and had since grown up from a teenager to a man in the time he knew D'antoni sure sounds like he "almost didn't come here." So much so that within the first few days of free agency, he put ink to paper.

Similar Threads

  1. Can We Win w/ D'Antoni
    By BleedOrange&Blue in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: Nov 27, 2011, 14:33
  2. MIKE D plays DEFENSIVE Players so STOPPP THE NONSENSE.
    By DontForgetDerekHarper in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: Jan 18, 2011, 12:25
  3. Mike D'Antoni The Meter Is Running
    By KNICKMATIC809 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: Apr 28, 2010, 20:25
  4. D'antIDIOT blows another game
    By mafra in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Feb 12, 2010, 11:20
  5. Dead money and cap ballast
    By ANU in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jul 02, 2009, 13:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •