Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Can Melo play D?

  1. #1
    Member DieHardPassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    0

    Question Mark Can Melo play D?

    Melo jus got ****ted on by Jamison and he shows no fire or desire... the cavs game made him look soft...
    He doesn't seem like a leader as well, he needs to be more vocal

    Do you think melo can defend against other star forwards?

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Yes. He has. And quite well.

    As had Amare.

    Thus, they both know defense, and their defense (and "ours") is more to do with the emotions and will of the players themselves, versus coaching.

    We may need someone like Perkins, above all else, who will make them look and feel like punks and careless bitches if they don't step to on D.

  3. #3
    Veteran Sprewell-Houston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Germany/Mount Vernon NY
    Posts
    1,357
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Melo is a decent defender in the playoffs. He has shown it before.

    He also showed glimpses of it in his debut against Milwaukee. Deflecting passes and getting 1-2 steals.

    It's a myth that Melo can't defend, he just doesn't want to spend energy on defense against the 'ordinary' teams during the regular season. It's a mixture between conserving energy and a bit of arrogance imo.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,395
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    It's a myth that Melo can't defend, he just doesn't want to spend energy on defense against the 'ordinary' teams during the regular season. It's a mixture between conserving energy and a bit of arrogance imo.
    Maybe that's the source of George Karl's complaint that he's the greatest offensive player he's coached but his defense is a problem. That can drive a coach crazy when you take nights off and don't play D.

    I agree that he gets up for the big games but I disagree it's a myth that he can't defend, if you only defend when you want to play defense that makes you defensive persona non grata in my book.

  5. #5
    Veteran petescud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,780
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Well if Melo can defend, we'll see it tonight. LBJ is going to abuse whoever guards him. But if we can slow down Wade and not allow easy underneath BS, we should have a chance

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    214
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    He can he just chooses who he plays it against, he always goes hard against Lebron and other star forwards

  7. #7
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    570
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by iSaYughh
    Yes. He has. And quite well.

    As had Amare.

    Thus, they both know defense, and their defense (and "ours") is more to do with the emotions and will of the players themselves, versus coaching.

    We may need someone like Perkins, above all else, who will make them look and feel like punks and careless bitches if they don't step to on D.
    This is not true at all. Melo doesn't and never has had the spirit to play on both sides of the court. Amar'e has the spirit, but not the know how. It is up to the coach to teach team defense.

    MDA is 90% to blame for the team's lack of D. Look at what Tommy did with the Bulls. They win games because of great defensive rotations. They won games despite two of their best players only playing 9 games together because they play team defense. D-Rose is not a great defender Boozer is a horrible defender. Noah is average. Luol Deng is an incredible defender; but the rest of the team is nothing special on the defensive end.

    Defense is coach driven. If the coach actually preaches and teaches, any team can play defense. MDA doesn't care, though.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I say, we should have kept David Lee, because he must have been a beast on "D", the best, compared to STAT and Melo, because he has never had a thread dedicated to his lack of defense, no?

  9. #9
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    570
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by carlhil2
    I say, we should have kept David Lee, because he must have been a beast on "D", the best, compared to STAT and Melo, because he has never had a thread dedicated to his lack of defense, no?
    The difference is that we never thought we could win a ring with D. Lee as our best player.

  10. #10
    Member DieHardPassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    lmfao im watching MDA show and MDA encourages the team by clapping his hands and saying lets play better defense, come on, you guys need to close out faster...
    is he really the culprit?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by DieHardPassion
    lmfao im watching MDA show and MDA encourages the team by clapping his hands and saying lets play better defense, come on, you guys need to close out faster...
    is he really the culprit?
    let's just say, if he spent the same amount of time running defensive sets as he does on offense, we should, at least, be average, which, with our offense, should be good enough!

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,789
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by MusketeerX
    This is not true at all. Melo doesn't and never has had the spirit to play on both sides of the court. Amar'e has the spirit, but not the know how. It is up to the coach to teach team defense.

    MDA is 90% to blame for the team's lack of D. Look at what Tommy did with the Bulls. They win games because of great defensive rotations. They won games despite two of their best players only playing 9 games together because they play team defense. D-Rose is not a great defender Boozer is a horrible defender. Noah is average. Luol Deng is an incredible defender; but the rest of the team is nothing special on the defensive end.

    Defense is coach driven. If the coach actually preaches and teaches, any team can play defense. MDA doesn't care, though.
    Noah is much more than an average defender, but I hear what you're saying.

    Just look at how the Celtics get all sorts of praise for their defense when KG and Rondo are the only ones really known for being excellent defenders.

    Paul Pierce is also known for occasionally not trying that hard on defense, Ray Allen has never been considered a good defensive player in his career either.

    But they make it work by having GOOD ROLEPLAYERS like Kendrick Perkins and Tony Allen. We need to do that too...

  13. #13
    Member DieHardPassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    i think defense is a collective effort so is rebounding
    when yu see a team struggle in that it shows their lack of chemistry and leadership. You need all 5 players to play defense, if one doesn't hold up the whole team breaks down
    as the Knicks start winning and becoming a team, we'll unconsciously improve on defense and rebounding...
    o and I'm goin to put this out there - the knicks are not lucky
    many loose balls and random bounces never go our way...
    its just something i found but it's still not an excuse for our lack of a collective effort

  14. #14
    Member Oakman88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    234
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Melo played solid D tonight

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    YES!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: Feb 28, 2011, 22:26
  2. The Key to the Car...melo that is
    By Toons in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Oct 22, 2010, 12:48
  3. Hahn: Sources Feel Melo wants Trade Now
    By KnicksWillRiseAgain in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sep 16, 2010, 10:45
  4. Knicks to play 1-3-1 Zone?
    By Paul1355 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Sep 06, 2010, 12:00
  5. Replies: 44
    Last Post: Aug 30, 2010, 19:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •