Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of D

Superstar

Default Lack of D

Interesting article about how we need to step up the D to win rings.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Veteran

Good article.

We have two of the best scorers in the NBA. We don't have to be finding ways for them to score more points - they can make it happen.

I don't know if it's a defensive assistant, a defensive coach, or just defensive roleplayers, but the team has to do a better job of finding players who can get those stops. The Celtics built an offensive juggernaut with their big 3, but they also had players who were good on defense (and nothing else!).

Every championship team has those players who are elite defenders but aren't much on offense. Ben Wallace, Kendrick Perkins, Trevor Ariza, etc...

Superstar

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Good article.

We have two of the best scorers in the NBA. We don't have to be finding ways for them to score more points - they can make it happen.

I don't know if it's a defensive assistant, a defensive coach, or just defensive roleplayers, but the team has to do a better job of finding players who can get those stops. The Celtics built an offensive juggernaut with their big 3, but they also had players who were good on defense (and nothing else!).

Every championship team has those players who are elite defenders but aren't much on offense. Ben Wallace, Kendrick Perkins, Trevor Ariza, etc...
    You know, I think I would be fine with MDA if he at least took steps to get a defensive coach that wasn't his brother... someone that really helped our guys play team D.

I think its more about the coaching than the player, by all mean, player do count BUT we need a coach that will enforce it. IMO

Proper coaching can make a bad defensive player play better defense. Case in point, Mike Miller steps in & takes a charge in the lane in the 1st half of this game to prevent an easy layup from Melo & draw an offensive foul. No one expects MDA to miraculously transform our team into an elite defensive unit, but it's not often we see role players start making plays like on this team. I don't think that's too much to ask. Hopefully Jeffries can bring that back to this team, he did a good job of drawing charges in the lane last time he was a Knick.

Defense has been pretty solid tonight. Gotta hold Miami here! 12.7 to go Knicks by 1, heat ball. Come on KNICKS!

Now that was great D. Carmelo didn't give the lane. Amare block. Shawne Great defensive rebound and convertion the FT''s.

whoever said they Melo couldn't play D, definitely needs to watch the replay of this game. KNICKS win!

Looks like we played some D tonight!

(still cant understand how we lost to cleveland just 2 days ago...)

Veteran

My words have been eaten. Do this consistently, and we're onto the Conference Finals.

That game was chemistry. Hopefully it won't take to long to gel. Team has enough talent now to threat for NBA Title if not win it all. They keep up the defensive intensity I don't see a team keeping up with them.

Originally Posted by Stat4mvp
    Looks like we played some D tonight!

(still cant understand how we lost to cleveland just 2 days ago...)
    Happy to eat crow after a game like this. Would be great to see them playing this way for the rest of the season.

This reminded me of one of those old "grind it out" victories.

Originally Posted by STAT1
    Happy to eat crow after a game like this. Would be great to see them playing this way for the rest of the season.
    Hats off, you want what is best for the team, not to be right.

I respect that.

Originally Posted by WrongIslander
    Hats off, you want what is best for the team, not to be right.

I respect that.
    Yeah man, I just wanna see this team win. Could give 2 craps whether I'm wrong or right I just state my opinions based on what I'm seeing out there. Tonight you gotta give MDA credit for how he got these guys to play D. I still have huge doubts about whether this system will ever win a championship for us but when you beat the team no one thought we could beat then you can't complain.

That said, I'm still highly pissed about that last inbounds play with 13 seconds left in the game & only up by 1.
    Last edited by STAT1; Feb 27, 2011 at 23:37.