Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Yankees Spring Training

  1. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Hardcore Yankees fan right here. I'm scared to death of the Red Sox, but I'm hoping that history prevails and they suffer some injuries (not that I really wish harm on any players).

  2. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by JohnBoy11
    Boston's world is blowing up after Ortiz said he wouldnt mind going to the Yanks next season. Funny stuff.
    Hahaha Imagine if Ortiz was at DH . That'd be priceless.

  3. #18
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by finestrg
    Hopefully Burnett righted the ship and has a big comeback year -- nice effort today with 3 scoreless innings against the Phillies. We're gonna need him to pitch like he's capable..We can't carry his ass again this year..Dude needs to step up.

    I think Montero's gonna wind up being the starting catcher, I just get that feeling..Jorge Vazquez may not win the reserve corner infield spot over Chavez (Chavez 3-3 today; Vazquez 0-3, 2 Ks, 4 runners LOB) but I'd still take him..Dude's still hitting .467 this spring..They probably have options left on Vazquez, one big reason he may not come north with them when they break camp. If that's the case, I bet we see him in the Bronx at sometime this summer, if not sooner..Dude can rake..Kevin Long's supposedly made the same adjustment at the plate with Gardner that he did with Tex, Swish & Grandy: Two hands stay on the bat at all times on the swing..That little adjustment really helped those 3 stay on top of the ball a lot better--I'd expect the same results for Gardner..We need to get Gardy near .300 this year..He can do it..Supposedly the plan is for him to bunt a lot more this season as well. That'll be a welcome sight.. .300+, 50+ steals, lights out leftfield..That's gotta be the goal for him..

    Tomorrow's a big game against the Braves (1pm on YES)..We'll get a chance to take another look at Betances and Andrew Brackman's supposedly making his first appearance..Haven't seen Brackman throw yet -- anxious to see what he's got..If he's anywhere near as impressive as Banuelos & Betances, we're in excellent shape for the future with this rotation. Who knows, maybe so good that all of a sudden we're able to shop a Phil Hughes for a bat or a reliever eventually..KILLER Bs baby!!!!!
    everytime i hear the name "Vazquez" i get horrible flashbacks.

    We really need Burnett to have a big year bro. So far looks like he's got his command back but ST games are really just like Summer League games, u can't draw much from what you see this early the pitchers usually have the advantage over the hitters at this stage of training camp. I didn't watch the game but how was AJ's velocity throughout the game? Was he hitting mid 90's consistently? How was the break on his curve? 1 good thing this season is we won't have Jorge behind the plate giving up so many passed balls & wild pitches. Maybe that will help AJ relax a little when he's on the mound & not be afraid to throw that deep breaking offspeed stuff he's got. He's never really had good chemistry with Jorge, that was probably the main reason why.

  4. #19
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by STAT1
    everytime i hear the name "Vazquez" i get horrible flashbacks.

    We really need Burnett to have a big year bro. So far looks like he's got his command back but ST games are really just like Summer League games, u can't draw much from what you see this early the pitchers usually have the advantage over the hitters at this stage of training camp. I didn't watch the game but how was AJ's velocity throughout the game? Was he hitting mid 90's consistently? How was the break on his curve? 1 good thing this season is we won't have Jorge behind the plate giving up so many passed balls & wild pitches. Maybe that will help AJ relax a little when he's on the mound & not be afraid to throw that deep breaking offspeed stuff he's got. He's never really had good chemistry with Jorge, that was probably the main reason why.
    LOL, I hear ya bud, hearing the name 'Vazquez' makes me cringe & think of Javy too..Thank God he's someone else's problem now..

    I also missed AJ's start against the Phillies -- I did see the highlights though. Struck out Howard swinging on a high 91 MPH fastball and it looked like he hit 94 a little later in the clip. Got one groundball to short on a curveball middle of the plate..He looked OK..You're right about the lack of chemistry between Jorge & AJ--they've done a good job of downplaying it the past couple of years but it's definitely always been there. I wonder what it stems from? Posada's inability to block the #2s in the dirt and all the passballs maybe?? Maybe they had words about that at one time, who knows.. AJ appears to always be very chill but maybe he's a little different behind the scenes..Remember last year, Dave Eiland was supposedly the one who gave AJ that backeye after they had words in the locker room which I'm sure, if true, contributed to Eiland's dismissal..Hopefully having a new fulltime backstop, whether it's Montero or Martin, does help this guy relax..

    I ran through the replay of yesterday's game against the Braves just to see certain things: Freddy Garcia looked good, I think he might have a leg up on Colon and Mitre..I think it'll wind up being Nova/Garcia 4/5 or vice versa..Colon's been good but his stuff doesn't look as good as Garcia's (Garcia hit 89-91 a few times yesterday, up from last year's velocity where he was only hitting 85-86 with the White Sox) plus, I know he's always been heavy, but Colon really looks overweight to me. Mitre probably slides right into the fulltime longman role now that Gaudin's gone..Vazquez laced a double to leftfield which was nice -- even if they keep Chavez, I'd think long and hard about keeping this guy in the mix for his offense..Just not sold on Posada as a fulltime DH. Vazquez can definitely rake...Betances relieved Garcia and got smacked around a little early before his stuff improved after his first inning or so..Finally, I fastforwarded to see Brackman -- kid looked real good..Hit 96 at least twice and he struck out one guy on a hard/tight curveball with a lot of bit..I can now offically say that all 3 Killer Bs are for real!
    Last edited by finestrg; Mar 09, 2011 at 10:42.

  5. #20
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    If Garcia can give us 15 starts up to the trading deadline & win 6 or 7 or so games then he will have done his job as a stopgap solution. By then some big name pitcher should probably shake free in trades from teams that have fallen out of the playoff hunt. I think Cashman will make a move for a back end of the rotation guy at some point, I don't think we can rely on Ivan Nova to be the solution this year, though I hope I'm wrong.

    Concerning AJ's run in with Dave Eiland, it was rumored that the altercation stemmed from a drinking problem that Dave Eiland had at the time that AJ called him out on in the clubhouse as a friend, I think Eiland supposedly took exception to it & that's when the altercation ensued. I don't think there is any bad blood between those 2 I've read stories that they were close friends. It was probably just 1 friend confronting another about his problem & that friend feeling overly defensive so he over-reacted. If AJ really wanted to beat Eiland down I'm pretty sure he probably could, but he took the punch as a friend. Sometimes you get into fisticuffs with people you care about & it blows over, I think this was 1 of those times.

  6. #21
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by STAT1
    If Garcia can give us 15 starts up to the trading deadline & win 6 or 7 or so games then he will have done his job as a stopgap solution. By then some big name pitcher should probably shake free in trades from teams that have fallen out of the playoff hunt. I think Cashman will make a move for a back end of the rotation guy at some point, I don't think we can rely on Ivan Nova to be the solution this year, though I hope I'm wrong.

    Concerning AJ's run in with Dave Eiland, it was rumored that the altercation stemmed from a drinking problem that Dave Eiland had at the time that AJ called him out on in the clubhouse as a friend, I think Eiland supposedly took exception to it & that's when the altercation ensued. I don't think there is any bad blood between those 2 I've read stories that they were close friends. It was probably just 1 friend confronting another about his problem & that friend feeling overly defensive so he over-reacted. If AJ really wanted to beat Eiland down I'm pretty sure he probably could, but he took the punch as a friend. Sometimes you get into fisticuffs with people you care about & it blows over, I think this was 1 of those times.
    Ahhh, right. I forgot that's what happened. I remember talking about it with you now..So what d'ya think happened to Eiland when he left the team 'for personal reasons'? Ya think they sent him to the farm/rehab? Usually you have to be gone for a month or more and Eiland was gone for awhile (I had an old buddy at my first pct. that they sent away to the farm for a little while with a drinking problem and he was gone for about a month or so it seemed)...Seems logical, no? I guess we'll never really know the whole deal..Eiland catch on with another team yet?

  7. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    303
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I like Colon more than Garcia.
    Garcia isn't hitting 90 and he is a fly ball pitcher. It will not work for him in Yankee Stadium.

  8. #23
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by finestrg
    Ahhh, right. I forgot that's what happened. I remember talking about it with you now..So what d'ya think happened to Eiland when he left the team 'for personal reasons'? Ya think they sent him to the farm/rehab? Usually you have to be gone for a month or more and Eiland was gone for awhile (I had an old buddy at my first pct. that they sent away to the farm for a little while with a drinking problem and he was gone for about a month or so it seemed)...Seems logical, no? I guess we'll never really know the whole deal..Eiland catch on with another team yet?
    I haven't heard anything about him catching on with another team yet, but seems like the "personal leave of absence" that the Yankees gave to him in 2010 lasted 25 days, which would seem to correllate with him going to rehab.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Brian Cashman announced on Monday that Eiland would not return for a fourth season as the Yankees' pitching coach, stressing that the decision was his and not Girardi's. Cashman declined to give his reason for the decision, saying it was a "private" matter.

  9. #24
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Getting pumped for the season..Things worked themselves out nicely as they get set to head north. Looks like Chavez all but won the backup corner infield spot (we should get confirmation today sometime)..That's cool. He deserved it. Dude played very well the past few weeks of spring. Nunez probably wins the reserve infield spot over Ramiro Pena (decison in the next couple of days). I like Pena a lot but Nunez has the better overall tools, better bat and he can also play some outfield. I bet that's what they base that decision on..

    I like what they did with the back end of the rotation too..Nova's in as the 4 man, as he should be, and they kept both Garcia and Colon and instead traded Mitre to Milwaukee. Tremendous move. Why make a decision between two solid vets when you didn't have to? And they didn't have to.. Mitre wasn't any kind of a difference-maker for us at all PLUS we picked up a nice-looking reserve outfielder in this Chris Dickerson, a guy who, just based on his 3-3 performance, kinda reminds me of Ricky Ledee a little bit... I think Garcia's gonna be fine in the 5th spot..Colon, in the meantime, might be able to give us another power short man from the right side to go along with Joba/Robertson (I can picture maybe something close to what Al Osuna gave us a few years ago) while staying ready in case Nova &/or Garcia falter..At the very least, you gotta figure he'll be a much better long man than Mitre..

    All 3 Killer Bs supply outstanding pitching depth down on the farm along with Jorge Vazquez, should we need some more offense... Grandy's injury doesn't look too serious -- saying he's 50/50 for opening day and if not, it shouldn't been long after that (sounds confident he'll avoid even going on the DL at all for this injury).

    I think the AL East is gonna be a lot closer than some of the experts think..I think we could be right there with the Red Sox -- no way do I think Boston's just gonna run away with this division..Ready to rock fellas -- only a couple of days to go!!
    Last edited by finestrg; Mar 27, 2011 at 11:56.

  10. #25
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Looks like we picked up Kevin Millwood on a ML deal. Not sure if he's got much left in the tank but can't hurt to have some depth. Mitre's a goner for a reserve OFer. Dunno much about this Dickerson kid. Any info on him finest? I think Colon as a long reliever is better than as a starter seems like his velocity can't be sustained past a few innings.

  11. #26
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by STAT1
    Looks like we picked up Kevin Millwood on a ML deal. Not sure if he's got much left in the tank but can't hurt to have some depth. Mitre's a goner for a reserve OFer. Dunno much about this Dickerson kid. Any info on him finest? I think Colon as a long reliever is better than as a starter seems like his velocity can't be sustained past a few innings.
    Ahh, that's right..Forgot about Millwood..Personally, I haven't been high on him since his days in Atlanta when he had much better stuff, but hey, can't hurt I guess, right? Cash has done a nice job assembling some halfway decent veteran arms for the rotation, pen and standby this year..Hopefully all these guys collectively act as a 1-2 yr bridge to get us to the Killer Bs..All I'm looking for. I believe Brackman (the oldest of the 3 KBs and the only one to play college ball---the Yanks picked up the other two when they were babies) may start at AAA; the other 2 AA. If Banuelos and Betances get off to a good start, both could get a quick promotion to Scranton and then who knows, any one of them could pitch in the Bronx as early as this year.

    We're gonna have to see how quickly Colon can warm up outta the bullpen--to my knowledge he's never done that before. I saw Joe talking about this the other day on YES..Some guys can get ready quickly; some can't. It'll be interesting to see how he takes to this new role. I personally didn't care for Sergio Mitre at all---to me this dude was like a homeless man's Ramiro Mendoza/David Weathers stuff-wise, and that ain't sayin too much. I remember those two being much more effective by comparison..I'd rather take my chances with some of these bigger-name borderline has-beens and see if we can catch a little lightning in a bottle here..Glad we kept both Colon & Garcia..Both aren't the same anymore but Colon did hit 93 MPH on the gun this spring (if he responds well to the new bullpen role maybe he can even increase that velocity a tick or two by summertime) and Garcia still has enough stuff and guile to get guys out. Not what he was in Seattle but he did manage 10 wins last year in the AL Central.

    Yeah, Dickerson I have no idea bro..Been around the minors for a few years now..Looked around the 'net for a scouting report and couldn't find one..Here are his minor league numbers:

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Nothing too impressive -- looks like he showed some good speed early on in his minor league career..All I know is that Mitre sucked balls and to get a serviceable ANYTHING for the guy was a plus..I imagine Dickerson goes to AAA Scranton to start. Have to keep an eye on him to see how he does. I saw his 3 hits the other day and I immediately thought of Ricky Ledee. Very similar lefthanded swing. Liked what I saw---he looked like he belonged.. No idea how good he is defensively.

  12. #27
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Yup, agree about Mitre. & yeah warming up is gonna be an issue for Colon but I doubt Joe G will be using him in any spot situations so he'll likely get a full half of an inning at least to get warm. We have enough spot situation guys in our pen this year I don't think our relief corps will be an issue. Pedro Feliciano might be starting the season off on the DL though I hear, so we might be short on lefty matchups late in games.

Similar Threads

  1. 2010 New York Yankees Season Thread
    By KING~POETIQ in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Aug 20, 2010, 01:39
  2. Yankees acquire Nick Swisher
    By jpz17 in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Oct 29, 2009, 21:54
  3. CC Sabathia signs with Yankees!
    By Akamu in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan 04, 2009, 22:56
  4. Yankees offer A.J Burnett 5 years 80 million
    By Paul1355 in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Nov 24, 2008, 20:41
  5. Yankees sign...
    By GoKnIcKsDLEE42 in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Mar 11, 2008, 14:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •