With an overhauled New York Knicks squad we can consider this a new season, maybe 2010-2011 and a half.
My quick observations include:
Coach had this offense 2nd overall at 106 points per prior to the trade dead line. This over-haul will undoubtedly maintain that pace and conceivably could surpass that mark. As I've said before we can score with the best of them, but it will be hard for teams to deal with our extra added offensive dimensions such as:
* Chauncey Billups a true floor leader and general
* Carmelo Anthony arguably the best scorer in the game. He just stared down Lebron and dropped 27... again
* Amare Stat draws fouls with the best of them. Amare has to incorporate using his back to the basket more. He shouldn't be taking players off the dribble as much. He would commit less offensive fouls, while continuing to draw fouls, and have better passing lanes for outside shooters.
* Our bench is deep, and we have a solid compliment player in the starting line up Landry Fields. Fields may be either hurt, or trying to fit in. His game could be more aggressive and efficient as we should have grown accustom to by now.
2. Our chemistry and gel time is much quicker with these veterans (some former teammates and some friends off the court). Our deal really was Chauncey and Melo, no throw in talk necessary.
3. Our defense really only has to accommodate our offense. We are currently 27th in the league in points allowed at 105 and change per. We have just added 6'11" Jared Jeffries. At the least he is a 6 foul defender, something greatly needed. With his familiarity of the systems he should fit right in.
4. Our bench is deep so our rotations and match ups should be better. Coach is using Anthony Carter and also giving guys longer rests. This will be paramount come playoff time.
So I'll cut through the bull sh*t. The real difference is our BASKETBALL INTELLIGENCE QUOTIENT. Our team can rival ANY TEAM in the league in terms of knowing where to be, spacing, decision making, etc... This is where the real difference will be seen. We have negated the mistake, turnover, poor decision prone tendencies, and this can't be overstated. We will no longer beat ourselves. And we can have confidence quality ball will be on display for the seeable future.
Before we could bet any team if the chips fell right, but we could also lose to any team on a given night. Now NOT any team can beat us.
I expect the Eastern Conference Finals This Year...
and I won't complain if we don't get there, promise.