30-28

Date: March 2, 2011
7:30PM ET
Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
TV: MSG

jpzthread.png

knicks031253--430x180.jpg

chrispaulknicks.jpg

Adding Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups has certainly sparked the New York Knicks offensively. It's been their defensive play that's been the major problem.
Potentially missing Billups may exacerbate those issues.
The Knicks may need to overcome the absence of their point guard to show some improvement defensively, as they try to beat the sputtering New Orleans Hornets for the sixth consecutive time Wednesday night at Madison Square Garden.
New York (30-28) has split four games since acquiring Anthony and Billups in a three-team, 13-player trade from Denver on Feb. 22. Anthony is averaging 27.0 points and 7.8 rebounds, while Billups has 23.3 points and 6.0 assists per game since the move. That's helped the Knicks average 106.0 points in that stretch, but they're allowing 106.3.
Those defensive troubles were evident during Tuesday's 116-110 loss at Orlando. New York squandered an 11-point halftime lead by getting outscored 69-52 in the second half while allowing the Magic to hit 13 of 19 shots in the fourth quarter.
"I don't like to make excuses, but not being together on the defensive end, not practicing, not getting the repetitions ... I think it gets confusing out there at times. That will come with time," Anthony said after making 8 of 24 shots for 25 points Tuesday.
Gaining some familiarity could be difficult since Billups is questionable after leaving in the fourth quarter Tuesday with a left thigh bruise.
New York's lax defensive play has been a theme in three seasons under coach Mike D'Antoni. The team is allowing 106.6 points per game since he was hired, fewer than only Golden State's league-worst 110.7 over that stretch.
"We'll have to tighten up a lot of things," D'Antoni said, also referring to the Knicks' shooting 38.0 percent -- 25.0 from 3-point range -- over the last two games. "We'll have to get a little bit better without a doubt."
Anthony was limited to 3-for-11 shooting and eight points in a 96-87 loss to New Orleans with the Nuggets on Jan. 9. He had averaged 28.0 points and 12.8 boards over the previous four meetings.
Amar'e Stoudemire, third in the NBA at 26.0 points per game, could make a major difference versus the Hornets (35-27). The forward-center is averaging 31.7 points and 11.3 rebounds over his last three games against them.
Stoudemire scored 34 points with 10 boards to power a 100-92 win at New Orleans on Dec. 3, as the Knicks extended their winning streak in the series to five.
The Hornets have dropped 11 of 15 after their spiral continued with Tuesday's 96-90 loss at last-place Toronto.
Chris Paul has struggled greatly over the last two games -- both losses -- making 5 of 22 shots while missing all four 3-point attempts to total 13 points. He's hit just 4 of 23 from beyond the arc over the last 10 games, averaging 12.4 points.
"I don't know, I don't know," Paul said. "I'm getting a lot of shots. A lot of shots are right there. I think I've got to find a rhythm or something like that, find a way to get some easy baskets."
The All-Star point guard is averaging 25.6 points and 10.4 assists his last five visits to New York.
-ESPN.com

Gameday Matchup

<table class="mod-data"><thead><tr class="team-color-strip"><th> </th><th style="border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 147, 177); text-align: right; line-height: 25px;" width="30%">New Orleans
</th><th style="border-bottom-color: rgb(34, 94, 168); text-align: right; line-height: 25px;" width="30%">New York
</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="odd"><td style="text-align: left;">W-L</td><td style="text-align: right;">35-27</td><td style="text-align: right;">30-28</td></tr><tr class="even"><td style="text-align: left;">Avg Points</td><td style="text-align: right;">94.6</td><td style="text-align: right;">106.2</td></tr><tr class="odd"><td style="text-align: left;">Avg Points Allowed</td><td style="text-align: right;">92.6</td><td style="text-align: right;">105.8</td></tr><tr class="even"><td style="text-align: left;">Home Record</td><td style="text-align: right;">21-9</td><td style="text-align: right;">16-12</td></tr><tr class="odd"><td style="text-align: left;">Road Record</td><td style="text-align: right;">14-18</td><td style="text-align: right;">14-16</td></tr><tr class="even"><td style="text-align: left;">Current Streak</td><td style="text-align: right;">L2</td><td style="text-align: right;">L1</td></tr><tr class="odd"><td style="text-align: left;">Last 10</td><td style="text-align: right;">3-7</td><td style="text-align: right;">5-5</td></tr></tbody></table>
Last 5 Games

<table class="mod-data"><thead><tr class="team-color-strip"><th style="border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 147, 177); text-align: left;" width="30%">New Orleans</th><th style="border-bottom-color: rgb(34, 94, 168); text-align: left;" width="30%">New York</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr valign="top"> <td style="text-align: left;">Mar 01 @TOR Loss 96-90
Feb 27 HOU Loss 91-89
Feb 25 @MIN Win 95-81
Feb 23 LAC Win 98-87
Feb 16 @POR Loss 103-96
</td> <td style="text-align: left;">Mar 01 @ORL Loss 116-110
Feb 27 @MIA Win 91-86
Feb 25 @CLE Loss 115-109
Feb 23 MIL Win 114-108
Feb 16 ATL Win 102-90</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table class="season-leaders" cellspacing="4"><thead><tr class="periods"><th>
</th> <th style="text-align: left;">Points</th> <th style="text-align: left;">Rebounds</th> <th style="text-align: left;">Assists</th> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr><td class="team">NO</td><td style="text-align: left;">West 19.1</td><td style="text-align: left;">Okafor 10.1</td><td style="text-align: left;">Paul 9.5</td></tr><tr><td class="team">NY</td><td style="text-align: left;">Anthony 27.0</td><td style="text-align: left;">Stoudemire 8.5</td><td style="text-align: left;">Billups 6.0</td></tr></tbody></table>

3174.jpg
4770.jpg
3706.jpg
3607.jpg
3963.jpg

555969.jpg
1231856.jpg
498272.jpg
400580.jpg
498302.jpg

Paul - Belinelli - Ariza - West - Okafor

Go New York Knicksssss!
jpzthread.png

elcol

Rotation player
good thread------

now TD will take the starting spot with anthony carter or whoever. at least there will be a defender in front of cp3, billups is a tad bit too slow

You still have Felton as avatar elcol?

No Billups is a huge blow for us I hope the guys can compensate for it. We can hardly afford to lose this one with Philly refusing to give up on that 6th spot.

Tough matchups for us.

Melo vs Ariza who is a very good defender, tall and athletic. Rough night for Carmelo.

STAT vs West, West is good and versatile. Rough night for Amar'e.

If they don't put up a fight and want to win 'the easy way' I'll go beserk on my couch.

KingCharles34

All Star
nice thread jpz and lol @ the last 2 posts, thats real talk though

Im sayin CP3 for the poll, hes a better 3point shooter. The only advantage dwill has is his strength but to be honest i just never liked him. He is arguably the best though, right there in the argument with cp3 and rose.

As for tonight, well it aint gonna be easy without billups. I think Stephon Marbury pretty much summed it up with his post

Ewing

Benchwarmer
Hope to see Carter running our offense tonight, don't think that Douglas is capable of doing that consistently.

GO KNICKS!

jpz17

Starter
nice thread jpz and lol @ the last 2 posts, thats real talk though

Im sayin CP3 for the poll, hes a better 3point shooter. The only advantage dwill has is his strength but to be honest i just never liked him. He is arguably the best though, right there in the argument with cp3 and rose.

As for tonight, well it aint gonna be easy without billups. I think Stephon Marbury pretty much summed it up with his post

hey don't pick on my boy toney.. i love douglas

Red

TYPE-A
We won't win with Toney Douglas running the point..

Not true. Douglas has a confidence problem stemming from his lack of understanding his role, being young and having to fit in.

Tonight he's given the keys, he should flourish. Nights when he's a back-up or not sure of his role and minutes he struggles.

Fields needs to get his confidence up also.

Excellent 1st quarter. MSG is ROCKING!

I simply love the 1-2 punch of Carmelo & Amare. It's great to see.

12 down, 36 minutes to go. We tasted victory last night, we cant afford another melt down.