Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I don't want CP3 or Howard during 2012's offseason...

Banned
    FLorida. Thank god for the NBA league pass & MSG network.

@ STAT1... I'm not trying to argue with you, I like you as a Knicks poster; you add solid insight. Of course I would love a Howard or CP3, maybe I should have created the thread title as 'We don't need CP3 or Howard during 2012 to compete for a ring'. I guess you can say "Don't want" were too strong of words.

I know what I said about Howard. The man is a freak of nature on the boards, can turn any defense into a top 5 defense, & he's also one hell of a shot blocker. He's the next Shaq of his prime if you ask me. I'm just not willing to see Howard's max contract completely destroy our cap space & leave us with only 2 million if we're lucky. 3 great players & a bunch of nothing isn't what I want for the team I grew up loving.

I just feel that NY now has the talent, ability & cap space; to build a championship team around two of the NBA's top 10 stars.

Maybe it's just me, but I'll take a Center such as Marc Gasol, the ability to keep Fields, & the cap space to add STRONG depth coming off the bench over DW.

Banned
    FLorida. Thank god for the NBA league pass & MSG network.

Meant to say DH as in Dwight Howard... Not DW lol

Originally Posted by KnicksFanFromQueens1985
    @ STAT1... I'm not trying to argue with you, I like you as a Knicks poster; you add solid insight. Of course I would love a Howard or CP3, maybe I should have created the thread title as 'We don't need CP3 or Howard during 2012 to compete for a ring'. I guess you can say "Don't want" were too strong of words.

I know what I said about Howard. The man is a freak of nature on the boards, can turn any defense into a top 5 defense, & he's also one hell of a shot blocker. He's the next Shaq of his prime if you ask me. I'm just not willing to see Howard's max contract completely destroy our cap space & leave us with only 2 million if we're lucky. 3 great players & a bunch of nothing isn't what I want for the team I grew up loving.

I just feel that NY now has the talent, ability & cap space; to build a championship team around two of the NBA's top 10 stars.

Maybe it's just me, but I'll take a Center such as Marc Gasol, the ability to keep Fields, & the cap space to add STRONG depth coming off the bench over DW.
    I agree with you for the most part I don't think this team is that far off as people may have feared before making the Melo deal. Adding a defensive presence in the paint is really the only thing we need right now. Tell u the truth if we had to target a role playing C I would much prefer someone like Deandre Jordan or Sam Dalembert. I just don't see Gasol as the answer to our interior defense & rebounding needs, he's not all that good at doing either. Our fate rides with the new CBA, hopefully the cap limit figure goes up if a hard cap is put into place & we'll have enough room to fit a couple of quality role players if we can't add a superstar.

Default man

Dwight Howard is probably going to L.A. to be with Kobe. It makes too much sense. Phil Jackson already has a good game plan for Kobe/Howard cuz they won rings with kobe/shaq. Dwight himself said NY is too cold for him. Chris Paul would be nice because he would make melo and stats's scoring % go up and he would have to take less pay cuz he's slower after he had the knee surgery. If he won't take a lower salary it would be better to take Deron Williams because he has been more consistent and he hasn't had any major physical problems as of yet so we wouldn't have to worry about his health.

Veteran

Style points and noble dreams aside, if you just want to win

Howard (or cp3). And there really is no other way around it.

We can win otherwise, and sure, it could feel better going that route, but if the goal is the absolute best chance of winning, it's just not close.

Melo
    STAT
    Howard

And a crew of Tony Douglas' is almost a mortal lock to be favored every year for the next 5, easy.

Let alone you find more "Fields'" through the draft.

Mediocre, middle of road players are the most risky and overpaid, IMO. Like in all sports. Unless you are plugging one or two in, in a "NOW we are absolutely primed to be the best" situation, not optimal.

Thr value Howard would give...over even Gasol....would cost far more, and be far more difficult to achieve, and plug into the team, than any difference in his salary over Gasols.

Any of the big three we could potentially achieve, is the mortal nuts.

Then Walsh does his job from a position of total power and leverage, finding role players, steals, and value plugging in one trick ponies.

Veteran

Didn't realize MDA had a high level starting-caliber 5. Nor a defensive 2-headed beast of a guard rotation. Nor tons of depth of proven, effective players.

aka the three most major, indisputable problems for our team.

Default man

If Dwight goes to L.A. and I'm sure he will, Kobe is getting 4 more rings.

I realize the player I am going to mention in this post has had an injury prone career so far, but he intrigues me very much and IF he were to ever stay healthy he would be the Center we covet. That player is Greg Oden!!!!

I know he will be a restricted free agent in 2011-2012, but again given his history of injuries, maybe the Knicks would be able to obtain him to fit our salary cap.

Yes until the NBA gets a CBA, we will not know exactly what kind of numbers on the cap we will be crunching, but I really think ODEN could be something special in NY if healthy.

Originally Posted by SoCal KnicksFan
    I realize the player I am going to mention in this post has had an injury prone career so far, but he intrigues me very much and IF he were to ever stay healthy he would be the Center we covet. That player is Greg Oden!!!!

I know he will be a restricted free agent in 2011-2012, but again given his history of injuries, maybe the Knicks would be able to obtain him to fit our salary cap.

Yes until the NBA gets a CBA, we will not know exactly what kind of numbers on the cap we will be crunching, but I really think ODEN could be something special in NY if healthy.
    He looks like Stoudemire too.

foolishness....with howard, we are garunteed a ring.

Howard
    Amare
    Melo
    Fields
    Billups

4peat

Veteran

Nyk Logo

Originally Posted by Toons

Howard
    Amare
    Melo
    Fields
    Billups

4peat

Howard is a beast.... without howard.. the magic struggled against us....

oh by the way.. whats the other star player they got in orlando?????

Howard
    Amare
    Melo
    Fields
    Billups

4peat
    So Billups will be playing until he's almost 40?

Howard
    Amare
    Melo
    Fields
    Billups

4peat
    Could not agree more with that statement. Was just being realistic. Problem is does he want to play here? Can we fit him in the salary cap? Would he take less to sign with us?

If the answer to the above questions is yes then hell yes by all means get him in a Knicks uniform.

If the Knicks sign Howard and Billups retires, the Knicks should consider bringing Stephon Marbury back.

Having 4 superstars on the Knicks would guarentee them a three peat.

Originally Posted by knicksin60
    If the Knicks sign Howard and Billups retires, the Knicks should consider bringing Stephon Marbury back.

Having 4 superstars on the Knicks would guarentee them a three peat.

Rule of diminishing returns? Maybe with 5 superstars we'd have a guaranteed repeat.