Trading for Dampier or Sign him with mid level??

I have been reading around the net today, and have come away with the impression that Dampier flew into NY today to seriously consider signing with the Knicks for a 1 year deal and the full mid level exception. He is impressed with how Isiah has courted him, and wants to play for a contender. Since the Knicks have not signed Baker to any of the mid level exception like was printed in the paper last week, and supposedly the Knicks offered Kurt Thomas and Othello for Damp and where turned down by Golden State. Now Othello is involved in the Crawford deal. What more could the Knicks offer GS that they would be interested in?
My guess is that he has run out of options and may just sign outright with the Knicks for the year.
Now that would be the greatest thing to happen to the Knicks since they drafted #33. Get Dampier without trading kurt or anyone. That would serve GS right. Those idiots sign Derek Fisher to 40 million for 6 years, but will not take Thomas and expiring contract for Dampier just so they do not lose him for nothing. No wonder that team always sucks...

Anyone hear anything to support this??

David

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
He says the $$$ isn't important...I would settle for a few mil myself...If Damp signed the MLE it would give NY a fantastic lineup...
Steph, Craw and Houston
Timmy, Penny
Kurt, Sweet, Williams
Damp, Nazr
...that is 10 Deep...
Keep your fingers crossed

ariza...barett...im so excited, i just can't hide it.
Seriously thoguh, thats an incredible lineup..im not very familiar with what the knicks options would be on resigning Dampier next season (assuming he signs for the MLE for 1 year, which i don't think he will), can ne1 inform me on what kind of offer they can give to him? the Knicks will of course still be over the salary cap...
That brings me to anotehr good point..won't Penny and TT be in the last years of their contracts next summer...i smell 2 max contracts coming off the books!

yeaa so they have a nice $$$ 2 sigh a good player liek T-mac or give dampier a nice long term contract but this is nice news, dampier is my hero he dont care about the money unliek crawford

JJtheKnick

Starter
i dont care which one you do as long has he is here. but i think everyone would like to sign him to a long term contract.

dacash

Benchwarmer
well if they sign him the mid level,wouldnt they be able to keep k thomas?then next year when other contracts come off the books sign him to a longer deal

JJtheKnick

Starter
i would want to sign him for like 4 years or longer. so we have enough time to get better players and have more time together. because u have to have a center.

Twisted NY Assassin said:
I have been reading around the net today, and have come away with the impression that Dampier flew into NY today to seriously consider signing with the Knicks for a 1 year deal and the full mid level exception. He is impressed with how Isiah has courted him, and wants to play for a contender. Since the Knicks have not signed Baker to any of the mid level exception like was printed in the paper last week, and supposedly the Knicks offered Kurt Thomas and Othello for Damp and where turned down by Golden State. Now Othello is involved in the Crawford deal. What more could the Knicks offer GS that they would be interested in?
My guess is that he has run out of options and may just sign outright with the Knicks for the year.
Now that would be the greatest thing to happen to the Knicks since they drafted #33. Get Dampier without trading kurt or anyone. That would serve GS right. Those idiots sign Derek Fisher to 40 million for 6 years, but will not take Thomas and expiring contract for Dampier just so they do not lose him for nothing. No wonder that team always sucks...

Anyone hear anything to support this??

David

now, with the crawford deal, many fowards left the team, and another trade involving dampier can complicate the situation for the knicks.

a full mid level exception can be very good...

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
I just can't imagine that Damp would sign the MLE...I think all of that talk is to do one of two things:
1. Make Atlanta up their offer
2. Scare GD into a sign and trade because they don't want to jsut let Damp walk...

I still am scared that a new team is going to swoop in and get him

pbjb14

Benchwarmer
JJtheKnick said:
i would want to sign him for like 4 years or longer. so we have enough time to get better players and have more time together. because u have to have a center.

with some money opening up next summer whats the problem signing him one yr and then resigining him when we have the cash to give him a multi yr deal

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
It looks like Jermaine O' neal and Indiana are working Damp too

(this is from an interview with Jermaine)

Q Such as Erick Dampier?

A It's a tough situation because he's looking for so much money. We don't have that available and we'd have to give up some other guys (in a sign-and-trade). That's just not something you should do. We shouldn't give up core guys to get another big guy.

Q Have you suggested to Dampier that he take less money to play for the Pacers?

A We've talked an awful lot this summer. I told him he should do a one-year deal. The only option out there for him is Atlanta. It's his judgment call. He understands we'd love to have him.

JJtheKnick

Starter
he might end up going there. he wants to go to a team with money(knicks dont got it) and a team that can win a championship soon. (pacers have a good shot at it. and the knicks we are not sure yet but he would rather have the sure thing.)

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
I don't know enough about the Pacers roster to guess what they could offer GS...I would have thought that Harrington might have been a viable option but he is gone...I still have faith that IT will land him...but it will cost us...
Would Kurt, Nazr and a #1 be too much????

JJtheKnick

Starter
Imiss#33 said:
I don't know enough about the Pacers roster to guess what they could offer GS...I would have thought that Harrington might have been a viable option but he is gone...I still have faith that IT will land him...but it will cost us...
Would Kurt, Nazr and a #1 be too much????

are you forgeting he is a free agent they dont need to trade anyone if they have the money. and thats what the guy wants money!!. the knicks have to do a sign and trade becasue they got no $$$

Also from my reading, even when the Knicks have the two big expiring contracts after next year(Tim Thomas and Penny) they are still way over the cap and can offer no more money to Dampier than the mid level. The only way I read they can do anything more for Damp is 1) sign and trade(which seems unlikely now) or 2) sign him for two years now for low money(which gives the Knicks his bird rights after the 2nd season, and they could sign him for like $7-8mil/year). Still less than Atlanta is offering.

By the way, who would are backup center be if we trade Kurt and Nazr for Dampier? It leaves us brutally thin if Damp is injured(or games where he gets in early foul trouble).

David